Dear Abby: Possibly adding Guest to Solo reservation? Advice?

HLR

Hi All!

I am booked in just over 2 months to sail solo on Royal Caribbean paying the single supplement. I made the reservation about 2 months before meeting someone who I would like to bring on the cruise. They are interested in going, but we have only been dating 4 months.

A) I am worried the ship will fill up and if we decide YES at the last moment they will say "Sorry, ship is full" and I will be going on a cruise alone and VERY unhappy.

B) If we don't make it as a couple to sail date then I'll be fine.

What should I do?

Is my thinking to add the second guest now and take the chance a good decision? I just don't want to be stuck going on a cruise alone and being miserable when after MANY years of being alone I actually have somebody!

The cruise line would either just add the port charges for the second guest or reprice; either is fine.

If we didn't make it together till cruise time would I just go alone and the other person would be a "no show"? They'd refund the port charges?

I don't want to mess this up!

HLR

Hi All!

I am booked in just over 2 months to sail solo on Royal Caribbean paying the single supplement. I made the reservation about 2 months before meeting someone who I would like to bring on the cruise. They are interested in going, but we have only been dating 4 months.

A) I am worried the ship will fill up and if we decide YES at the last moment they will say "Sorry, ship is full" and I will be going on a cruise alone and VERY unhappy.

B) If we don't make it as a couple to sail date then I'll be fine.

What should I do?

Is my thinking to add the second guest now and take the chance a good decision? I just don't want to be stuck going on a cruise alone and being miserable when after MANY years of being alone I actually have somebody!

The cruise line would either just add the port charges for the second guest or reprice; either is fine.

If we didn't make it together till cruise time would I just go alone and the other person would be a "no show"? They'd refund the port charges?

I don't want to mess this up!

HLR

You should add now and then cancel if needed

I would add the second person now, you are probably paying for them anyhow. You can also change the second person's name up to 24 hours before the cruise if you decide to take someone else.

I would add the second person now, you are probably paying for them anyhow. You can also change the second person's name up to 24 hours before the cruise if you decide to take someone else.

Wow! You won't believe this, but I was HOPING you would respond! Question: Is there a difference between canceling and a "no show" with RCL?

Howard

Wow! You won't believe this, but I was HOPING you would respond! Question: Is there a difference between canceling and a "no show" with RCL?

Howard

A total cancel would normally get you some cruise fare back, depending on how far in advance you cancel. However, in this case where you are only cancelling one person, and since you are already paying 200%, there would be no difference.

For an RCI "no show" tax's and port fees would automatically be refunded to the credit card used to make the final payment. As far as a "no show" no one cares and no one either in the terminal or once onboard will ask or care.

Best of luck.

I'd add them now too. As others indicated if your supplement is 100% then the only difference is the taxes and gratuities which to my understanding they are good about refunding/removing if the other person doesn't show. Plus, also as previously indicated, you can always bring someone else along.

But the one thing others did not say is congrats! I know what it is like to seek the right person, to worry about planning things like this too soon, and all of that. If you've talked about the cruise and they're interested in joining you I think it's safe to say they're not too worried about your relationship status and if you're not then go for it! You WILL learn a lot about someone on vacation and I pray that it allows you to fall for one another even more.

God bless,

Judy

I would add now in case the muster station for your cabin fills up. If that happened, even though your cabin has room, if the muster station is full you might not be able to add.

Also assuming you would be happy with the close quarters of a cruise ship cabin!

Since you are 2 months away, you have already paid in full. That changes the rules a bit. I once booked solo and a week before sailing, my husband’s work schedule changed. We tried to add him. Even though I had paid 200%, RC now considered it a rebooking and wanted an additional $500. My TA spent almost an hour and talked to several people even trying to use our Diamond Plus status to no avail. I was cruising with family so we decided not to pay more for what we had already fully paid, and he didn’t go. Cruises sometimes have a low price period after final payment then get expensive as the ship is filled right before sailing. I say call RC now and see if there is an extra charge. Take that into account, and if reasonable or free, then add the person now.

I'd add them now too. As others indicated if your supplement is 100% then the only difference is the taxes and gratuities which to my understanding they are good about refunding/removing if the other person doesn't show. Plus, also as previously indicated, you can always bring someone else along.

But the one thing others did not say is congrats! I know what it is like to seek the right person, to worry about planning things like this too soon, and all of that. If you've talked about the cruise and they're interested in joining you I think it's safe to say they're not too worried about your relationship status and if you're not then go for it! You WILL learn a lot about someone on vacation and I pray that it allows you to fall for one another even more.

God bless,

Judy

Judy! What a wonderful response! Thanks!

Howard

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. I called my TA and [with the caveat that he might not end up going...] even though it's after final payment there was no re-booking...it was merely adding his name and the port charges and fees.

Of course NOW he just got a new job and has to see if he can get the time off since it is already booked! Go figure! Fingers crossed.

As far as the size of the room...that is not problem...we have the whole ship! The cabin is just the bedroom.

HLR