Only 3 Days To Go..... To South America

Aussie Gal

I cannot believe that we leave here on Friday for our big adventure to South America. :):)

Even though we are going on Princess and not HAL, I feel that this Board is home and just had to let you know how excited we are. We will be away for nearly 7 weeks, visiting the Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands as well as the 21 day cruise from Rio to Valpariso so I will not be on the Board very much in that time! ;)

I wish everyone a very happy New Year, one that is going to be safe, healthy and full of happiness.

Thanks to everyone for being so friendly and informative.

Jennie

Aussie Gal-

I know you will love South America as much as we did...hope your visit includes the Falklands...the Islands are a wee bit of England way down under too!!! If you do, take the 4 wheel drive tour out to see the penguins. The tour guides, Falkland natives, make the tour so very enjoyable as well as interesting!

Bon Voyage and Safe travels!!:D

Thanks everyone,

As you can imagine we are so looking forward to this trip. We have been planning it for a couple of years.

Localady,

We are going to the Falklands and hopefully the weather will be kind to us and we will be able to tender in. We have booked the excursion to Bluff Cove to see the penguins.

If we do not get into Port Stanley, we have booked to see the penguins at Otway Bay at Punta Arenas so hopefully we will see both lots.

Jennie

Jennie, I'm as excited for you and Peter as can be! I know you'll have a fantastic voyage.

I do so hope that you get to Stanley---look for the whale's jawbone arch. The penguin excursion in Punta Arenas had great reviews when I was there.

Tried a few more times to e-mail you, but after a few more returns that my ISP isn't allowed I gave up. No hard feelings, I hope?

Bon, bon, bon voyage to you both.

Thanks, Jennie, for the BD wishes (it's on Wednesday) and the alternate e-mail addy. I'll try it before Friday!

Yes, indeed I did get that e-mail and promptly did a reply. That was the second one to come back. :eek:

Your e-mail was full of lovely chatty news, and I delighted in reading and responding:) . Unfortunately, by now I have no idea what I wrote! :o

We just got back on the 20th. Fantastic weather everywhere including the necessary cold and fog of Cape Horn. It is a journey beyond your planning. Hope you get to see the King Penguin chick named "Kevin" if you get to F.I. Prices are steep for souveniers compared to AR and Chile, but the Islanders are so hospitable one just has to be reminded of them.

Do remember more than one pair of pj's...very difficult to find in craft markets. :) Dark pants and simple tops with a jacket would be the best for city tours. Take the advice about sunscreen and insect repellant for the Falls at Puerto Montt...and light clothes for the hot spots. It was 87 when we left Santiago.

I was quite happy with the "Freestyle" dining on the NCL Crown because we relived our daily adventures with mixing old and new travelers met en route. Seven of us had connected on CC. While no one was "stuck" or obligated to "show" all at one time, they were a welcome group in any number. The food quality is not HAL quality but it really wasn't very important compared to the cruise.

I know this sounds like a "Mom" but do get enough rest for the physical surprises of altitude and temperature changes, besides all the deep breathing while gasping at one spectacular vista after another. If you see a little butterfly with a 89 on it's wings, say "Hi". (We can laugh about this when you get back.)

Blessings and smiles...I know where you're going:)

Gail

Hi Jennie:

I feel I know you a little from reading all of your responses on this board. I hope you and your hubby have a wonderful time on the South American cruise.

All the best for a Happy New Year and a great cruise!

Marnie (luvcruisn')

RuthC: If you read this, I hope you have a wonderful birthday with lots of chocolate!

Gail,

Thanks for all your good advice. I know that we will be having such a change in climate on this trip. It has been a hard one to pack for but I think I have got it right. I know we will have to take it easy when we go to Cusco and Quito re altitude sickness, though we are prepared for all sorts of emergencies!

We are going on the Regal so we will be having traditional dining which is a bonus as I don't think I would like freestyle. The Regal has only one dining room plus the bistro is made into another dining area at night for alternate dining.

Marnie,

Thanks for your good wishes. We have just decided on which shirts my DH is going to pack. My case is already except for the 3 hangers full of clothes which go into the top of the case!! (It is a Samonsite Oyster)

We are having a heatwave here. Today it is 35C - 100F so we will be ready for the hot weather.

Jennie

Jennie...I, too, wish you and Peter a Bon-Voyage and know you will enjoy your long cruise and weeks in S.America as much as we did back in '96 when we sailed on the Rotterdam V (50-days from LA around So.America and back to Ft.Lauderdale).

Safe trip and calm seas to you both!

Liz

Jennie ...

You guys have a safe and a wonderful trip.

Princess is not a bad line. The only thing I found lacking on my two cruises with her was the food quality. It doesn't compare to HAL ... at least according to my subjective opinion. But, it's a great line and I've spent a total of 25 wonderful days over this past year sailing both the Sun and the Island Princess.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Aussie Gal--

Have a great trip!! I remember posting with you last year before our trip to S/A and Antarctica. Where has the time gone?? At any rate enjoy the heck out of yourself and tell us about it when you return.

Jim

Thanks Liz, Rita, K.K, Michael, Marbella, Marie and Jim for your good wishes.

It is now down to 2 days and time is moving quickly.

Michael, we will definitely keep the Regal in good shape. Wherever did you get the idea that us Aussies are wild!

Marbella, yes we do love good wine and hope to enjoy quite a bit whilst away.

Jim, I cannot believe that this year has gone by so quickly and we are at last going. I can remember posting with you last year.

Liz, I will be thinking of you whilst we are away and hoping that you will be enjoying good health soon.

Rita, I believe you have a big trip coming up soon. Bon Voyage to you as well.

Jennie

AussieGal

Well, for openers, Aussies often brag about their parties on the various Cruise Critic boards.

Sailed with a bunch of them on the old Oriana, and they did party!

On the last voyage of Sky Princess as a Princess ship, 11-00, San Francisco to Sydney, the Staff Captain (who has since been promoted to Captain) told me that P&O Australia would probably have to increase the size of the brig to handle the Aussies.

All that aside, have a great trip.

Michael,

Believe it or not we sailed on the old Oriana out of Sydney a couple of times in the early 80's. I must admit the young ones (20 year olds) were wild and looking for a good time. We were in our thirties and our children were with us and as always we were models of good behaviour.

In fact, the young ones were so bad that coming into Sydney Harbour the doors were locked so that no-one could go out on deck, which was most unfair for the rest of us. The reason being that the drunken louts would throw the deck chairs overboard if they could. Remember that most of these louts were from Sydney not from sedate Melbourne!!

I couldn't get my husband back on a ship for another ten years or so, as he was so disgusted with the behaviour of the passengers.

Jennie

Archived