Dining Room and Ordering Steak Question

arpie05

Ok, so I will confess and I know that it will come as a shock - I have never dined in the Steakhouse. WAIT! Let me explain. My family has a farm and I get farm fresh beef for free at home so I have plenty of opportunities for nice steak at home. And living in the midwest - Sometimes the upcharge seems a bit higher than I pay going to a nice dinner at home (which if I lived in NY, then a $15 teppanyaki meal seems normal while for me that's more than it is unless I ordered Steak & Shrimp :p

But, I digress, Our next cruise is an 8 day and taking my son to celebrate his graduation from college. So I thought we might try the Steak house this next trip.

So my question.... For those that have paid to upgrade their steak in the dining room - how does it compare to the Steakhouse steak? I know its supposed to be the same steak - but truly how does it compare?!?:confused:

Actually the one I had on Vista was better in the MDR vs Steakhouse. On Glory they were pretty equal. I order the upcharge Filet Mignon once or twice per cruise. I prefer that to the Steakhouse. It just takes too long and is too much food up there. For $5 more I can have a better steak 2 times vs 1 visit to the Steakhouse.

Actually, the steak is not the whole reason to do the steakhouse. EVERYTHING about the steakhouse is better...the appetizers are spectacular, salads, and desserts all stellar. You aren't just paying for a steak.

We always eat at the Steakhouse once or twice during a 7-day cruise, but if the ship doesn't have a Steakhouse (like the Paradise), we order the Steakhouse selections in the MDR for $20pp and the Surf and Turf is fabulous. The lobster tail is always huge and the Filet Mignon is delicious (I order it medium rare with Bernaise sauce). We have never had a "bad" steak in either the Steakhouse or with the Steakhouse Selections in the MDR. I ordered a Flat Iron steak in the MDR recently and it was awful, really tough. However, DH has ordered it a few times and enjoyed them.

The steaks offered in the MDR are limited. They do not include the 18 oz spice rubbed ribeye. That steak is amazing. I have tried the NY strip in the MDR from the steakhouse menu. While the NY strip was far better than the flat iron steak you get for free in the MDR, it is no where close to the ribeye. Go to the steakhouse, plus the horseradish mashed potatoes are delicious.

Thank you everyone for your input. We've talked about going to the Steak house and he's a big eater so I know he'll enjoy it. I enjoy usually the dining room but there is always one or two nights that are lacking. We hadn't had much luck with the flat iron steak but you're right it is an option.

My daughter ordered the upgraded steak in the dining room and was very disappointed. Wasn't comparable to the one in the steakhouse. Not worth the money.

Then I would have sent it back. They overcooked my Filet once and brought me another one perfectly rare. All of the upcharge steaks besides that one were just as good if not better than the one in the Steakhouse. I have only ever had the Filet Mignon so that’s what I’m going by. Absolutely worth the money.

The steak in the steakhouse is MUCH better than that served in the dining room. It's well-worth the $35 pp charge in the steakhouse. I highly recommend it!

I disagree. The steakhouse menu steak ordered in the MDR is the same as the steakhouse steak ordered in Nick and Noras. Same piece of meat from same kitchen, same chef, It's $20 instead of $35 because you don't get the other steakhouse benefits, but still good value.

As to the OP question: another benefit of the steakhouse is seafood - always some lobster and fish options that are not on the MDR.

Further steakhouse benefit is that it is a smaller, nice quiet, intimate environment with a higher staff to customer ratio. Well worth it for a special occasion.

Actually, the steak is not the whole reason to do the steakhouse. EVERYTHING about the steakhouse is better...the appetizers are spectacular, salads, and desserts all stellar. You aren't just paying for a steak.

Stellar service as well, in my experience.

I disagree. The steakhouse menu steak ordered in the MDR is the same as the steakhouse steak ordered in Nick and Noras. Same piece of meat from same kitchen, same chef, It's $20 instead of $35 because you don't get the other steakhouse benefits, but still good value.

As to the OP question: another benefit of the steakhouse is seafood - always some lobster and fish options that are not on the MDR.

Further steakhouse benefit is that it is a smaller, nice quiet, intimate environment with a higher staff to customer ratio. Well worth it for a special occasion.

I disagree with your disagreement! In MY opinion, the steakhouse steak is 10 times better than the steaks served in the dining rooms. After 22 cruises, I have tried every steak that Carnival offers and the steakhouse wins every time. Hands down! So please accept my opinion as well as others.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

So do you think they walk the steak down 9 decks to deliver your steak to the MDR? That would be the only way it would be the same. The broilers in the Steakhouse are super hot like Ruth's Chris. You could not get the appetizers, soup, salad and dessert for $35 in any good restaurant. The steaks are far superior in the Steakhouse, as well as the ambiance and service.

on of the more recent cruises we were on I got the flat iron steak most nights, as the menu wasn't super awesome otherwise. I'm not that picky, but you know....our waited got annoyed with me not trying other things. Fact was, they were doing a pretty good job with it. the mashed and veges were great too and they had this buttery roasted garlic clove half that came with it....we'll do steakhouse someday. not the next cruise though, as we'll have our littles with us.

We’ve only been to David’s on the Pride and the food, presentation, ambience and service could rival any high end steakhouse I’ve been to on land in NYC or Chicago. There is absolutely no comparison to Longhorns in my opinion. Totally different league.

Steakhouse steak is cooked the way you asked for it, while my experience has been that the MDR, pay twenty more for filet has been steak cooked they way they want you to eat it. I sent it back twice, because there is a difference between medium rare and well done, and by the third time they brought a filet back? It was a hunk of hanger steak. Which I didn't eat, but didn't want to hold up my table mates any longer.

5 years ago, different, now , not really sold on MDR food.

The steak in the steakhouse is MUCH better than that served in the dining room. It's well-worth the $35 pp charge in the steakhouse. I highly recommend it!

I second this. It's worth it to pay the extra for the full steakhouse experience.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

My last Carnival cruise the flat iron steak in the MDR was barely edible. Tough and flavorless. I ended up ordering the $20 up-charge Striploin every night we ate in the MDR for the remainder of the cruise. I wish they had the rib steak as an option in the MDR but I can say the Striploin was very good. It often came out at different times than the rest of the table because it came from a different kitchen. And once I did have to send it back because it was medium not rare.

My next Carnival cruise is coming up and I'm already approaching it knowing I'll be spending another $140 on meals.

The best steaks are the ones DH grills at home, and we enjoy them often. On a cruise I like to try things I don't normally have at home , so I don't order steak in the MDR.. When we do the steakhouse, it is for the ambiance, service, and higher quality dining experience more than the quality of the steak (though we have always found it to be very good).