When a refundable booking becomes non-refundable. Lesson learned.

masterty

You all might know this, however I did not.....

When you book a refundable cruise, that refund is only valid if canceled before final payment is due. I had previously booked a trip to Alaska using a FCC that I recently decided not to attend. I assumed any refundable itinerary not paid in full would be returned. In the end I failed to call and cancel that trip prior to final payment being due. I was accessed a $100 cancellation fee which is exactly all I had paid at that point using a FCC.

Upon returning yesterday from the Panama Canal I learned of this. As a courtesy Princess did send me a warning letter a week prior to final. Being in the Caribbean Sea on the Coral Princess I did not lean all of this in time to do anything about it. :(

You all might know this, however I did not.....

When you book a refundable cruise, that refund is only valid if canceled before final payment is due. I had previously booked a trip to Alaska using a FCC that I recently decided not to attend. I assumed any refundable itinerary not paid in full would be returned. In the end I failed to call and cancel that trip prior to final payment being due. I was accessed a $100 cancellation fee which is exactly all I had paid at that point using a FCC.

Upon returning yesterday from the Panama Canal I learned of this. As a courtesy Princess did send me a warning letter a week prior to final. Being in the Caribbean Sea on the Coral Princess I did not lean all of this in time to do anything about it. :(

What were you expecting?

Each Princess booking confirmation has a cancellation schedule that shows when penalties apply & the percentage of total charges to cancel.

For most cruises that begins the day after final payment (75 days) by losing the deposit (74-57 days); 50% of total charges (56-29 days); 75% (28-15 days); 100% within 14 days.

That’s for 6-29 day cruises and cruises of 5 days or less and 30 days or more have different times but the same percentages.

I assumed any refundable itinerary not paid in full would be returned. In the end I failed to call and cancel that trip prior to final payment being due. I was accessed a $100 cancellation fee which is exactly all I had paid at that point using a FCC.
If I understand you, you assumed that because you failed to cancel the cruise or make final payment that your FCC would be returned or refunded. (If you book a hotel, make a deposit, fail to cancel and or show up, your deposit is not refunded.) I must be missing something here as I don’t understand your reasoning.

If I understand you, you assumed that because you failed to cancel the cruise or make final payment that your FCC would be returned or refunded. (If you book a hotel, make a deposit, fail to cancel and or show up, your deposit is not refunded.) I must be missing something here as I don’t understand your reasoning.

Pam... I see your reasoning but I would go alone with the OP... would expect Princess to return the FBC. Glad OP shared, that will save others... including myself. I have a cruise I need to cancel... I thought if I did not make final payment Princess would return the FBC.. With 25 cruises with Princess, never been an issue before. Live and learn.

Pam... I see your reasoning but I would go alone with the OP... would expect Princess to return the FBC. Glad OP shared, that will save others... including myself. I have a cruise I need to cancel... I thought if I did not make final payment Princess would return the FBC.. With 25 cruises with Princess, never been an issue before. Live and learn.

The contract says “cancel by certain date”. It doesn’t say “if you don’t pay final payment”.

These days cancellation policies may kick in up to six months prior to the departure date. They certainly do in the Australian region. Apparently this change was brought in because too many people were booking multiple cruises using FCDs then cancelling most of them just before final payment, thus giving Princess far less time to resell those cabins.

The contract says “cancel by certain date”. It doesn’t say “if you don’t pay final payment”.

D'Oh! I didn't read closely enough. Just failing to do anything at all is a great way to lose your money.

From recent booking:

"Payment Details

Cruise Line must receive final payment of 1,146.64 by September 26, 2017, or this booking will be cancelled."

The cancellation schedule date is one day later. No mention of losing deposit if Final Payment not received.

Kind of clear that OP is owed FCD:

Don't pay on or before Due Date then booking auto cancels.

Cancel One Day after Due Date then lose.

Have not read the contract in years... obviously... so appreciate the OP posting regardless of how we may understand it, Princess actions make it clear how the policy is enforced. Sorry OP lost deposit.

Update.

A call to Princess today had my FCD returned to my account.

I understand that I made a mistake and also understand Princess was under no obligation to return our FCD's.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Update.

A call to Princess today had my FCD returned to my account.

I understand that I made a mistake and also understand Princess was under no obligation to return our FCD's.

Thanks for the update & glad that Princess returned your FCD.

I have to admit that I also got burned with this issue! I, too, assumed that the cruise would just cancel itself if I didn't make final payment. Like the OP, I lost my two future cruise deposits when final payment came and went. I called Princess to ask why (I honestly did not even think that the deposit would be lost and that I had to call to cancel it - naive, or stupid, who knows?) and they told me the policy. Like the OP, they graciously gave back my future cruise deposits and I have never made that mistake again. What would be truly wonderful would be the ability to cancel online through your cruise account rather than having to call!

The current wording on the letter you receive when you purchase FCDs contains this phrase " Once applied to a booking, the FCD is considered money and is subject to the terms and conditions in the Passagecontract". Essentially this means the FCD is now treated like any other deposit and if you cancel after the cancellation penalties kick in then you lose the FCD. Those of you that got them refunded were very lucky.