Quick question re no air on Oceania??

monctonmama

Looking at an Alaskan cruise this summer, and we do not need any air included.

How mach can we expect to be subtracted from the final price? Thanks.

Your travel agent can find out. For somewhere like Moncton to Vancouver or Seattle, you probably could do better on your own. We take their air when it is complicated. We like to go in a day or so early and stay on for a while. When you add the air deviation fee, it often doesn't make sense to take the cruise line air.

And you can do it just one way. WestJet sells one-way tickets so that's doable. You can also change your mind.

They don't advertise it but you can opt for the oLife price with your choice of perks and get a refund on the air. We found that was the best deal. We also opted for Canadian pricing, just so we would not have any nasty surprises!

Enjoy!

I personally wouldn't accept any dollar amount quoted here as being correct. It changes so often. And if you are close to the departure port, that's another factor. That can also change depending on WHEN you are asking.

We always ask our TA (or O) what the credit will be. Or go through a booking process online (without completing it!) which can give the same info.

Many of us also book our own anyway ... although I must confess that on a few occasions we DID use O's air, most of the time we have not.

Mura

U can also go online and start doing a booking. Do it twice, with and without air. Just don't complete the bookings!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

The Oceania site offers you an oLife price and a no-frills price. You get more for your money if you take the oLife price and ask for a rebate on the air. You can see more if you, as I just did, try booking. You can say "no air" and choose oLife. I did see a difference. For an Australian trip from Canada it is CA$14,998.00 instead of CA$18,798.00. Double-check with your travel agent. BTW, I would then see what airfares are like before you make a final decision. And you can change your mind, I believe.

Edited by Tansy Mews
Took out a paragraph which was wrong.

As stated above, use the on line booking process and you will get exactly what the air credit will be. Go to your desired cruise, note the price of the stateroom category you would select, first with "air required" for each passenger. Then select "no air required" and note the price for each passenger. The difference is your air credit as of that day. The air credit can change closer to the actual date of booking final air.

Also remember if you take O's air, you don't find out your routing until near the departure date. If you don't like what they've planned for you, you can do a "deviation" to get something better -- for a stiff fee and a lot of $$ more!

Booking air yourself, you have control over which airline you fly, routes and layover times. Might cost more (maybe not), but you're in control! As you can guess, we rarely take a cruise line's air, regardless of the cruise line.

Also remember if you take O's air, you don't find out your routing until near the departure date. If you don't like what they've planned for you, you can do a "deviation" to get something better -- for a stiff fee and a lot of $$ more!

Booking air yourself, you have control over which airline you fly, routes and layover times. Might cost more (maybe not), but you're in control! As you can guess, we rarely take a cruise line's air, regardless of the cruise line.

Not always a lot more $$. Many times you can get what you want for the $175 per person deviation fee.

This control thing I hear so many people speak of is highly overrated. Once my flights that I do through Oceania are actually ticketed I have "control" over them. I also have "control" as to when they are ticketed. Big difference between booked and ticketed. But you have to take the time to learn the details.

Many times Oceania air is the best way to go, but many other times doing it yourself is best. You have to do the math every time and determine what is best for you.

For me it's always about the numbers. Control has nothing to do with my decision on whether to use their air or not.

If the cruise is already booked, with oLife air, can you still change it to take the air credit? Final payment not made yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes you can -- but the credit could be different than was quoted when you originally booked.

By the way you do not need to do two bookings -- to find the air credit

There is a very easy way to find the air credit

Take the O Life Per Person price -- subtract 1/2 of the O life OBC. Then subtract this from the Cruise only per person Price and That is your air credit.