Solstice had to return to Melbourne last night

TeeRick

A small expenditure on their part ($100OBC per suite cabin for example?) would go a long way toward soothing people's irritation over this and keep them loyal to Celebrity. We just booked 3 future cruises with the parent company (2 on Azamara and 1 on Celebrity) and I'd think they'd do their best to keep our expectations met. But when I broached the subject with the staffer who mans the desk in the captain's club she was very clear and brusk- no compensation of any kind. :mad::mad::mad:

So, just to be clear, to sooth their irritation, you want suite passengers to be compensated because a passenger suffered a major medical emergency, which put the ship 12 hours behind, and to get back on schedule so that passengers would be able to fully enjoy the rest of the cruise, the ship needed to miss part of the itinerary?

Unfortunate, but all covered under the booking terms and conditions:

5.4 What about advanced or delayed sailings and changes in the itinerary?

We regret we cannot guarantee that ships will call at every advertised port or follow every part of the itinerary. Itineraries may change from time to time, both before and after your sailing departs. Celebrity Cruises and the Master of the ship have the right to omit or substitute any port(s), call at any additional port(s), vary the order of call for ports, change the time of arrival at, departure from or time spent at any port of call, deviate from the advertised itinerary in any way or substitute another ship... Changes to the last confirmed itinerary for your cruise may become necessary after you have departed... for a variety of reasons such as prevailing weather and sea conditions, guest emergencies, providing assistance to other vessels and the ship being unable to operate at its normal speed(s) due to unexpected mechanical or technical problems. We will of course do our best to avoid any changes that will have a significant detrimental effect on your last confirmed itinerary. However, we cannot accept any liability in respect of any changes which result from circumstances outside our control (see section 5.10 below) or which do not have a significant detrimental effect.

A few extractions from the rules that govern cruise ship visits to the Fiordlands area.

6.1 All scheduling and duration of cruise ships in and through the Internal Watersshall be co-ordinated by CNZ and ES. CNZ shall submit a schedule of intendedcruise visits for the forthcoming year/season to ES in March of each year, or atany such other mutually agreed time. Any subsequent alterations to schedulingand duration shall be notified by the cruise ship owners and/or operators to bothCNZ and ES and shall be approved by ES in advance.

6.2 Parties shall ensure that no more than two cruise ships are in any waterway,passage, fiord, bay or inlet at any one time.1

S6.2.6 Pilotage – take a pilot on board for the period of time that the vessel isin the Internal Waters.5 No pilotage exemptions will be considered.

It appears that the schedule for visits are submitted a year in advance. Any deviations must be approved in advance. There are limits on the max number of cruise ships. They also must have pilots available.

As such there could very well be reasons that even if the cruise line wanted to go and skip a later port they might well be prevented from doing so.

Whoa whoa whoa. Nobody is implying that RCL is legally obligated to provide compensation or anything like that. Clearly under their T&C they are not. What we were saying is that we were accustomed to travel providers (such as Delta airlines) who go well above and beyond their T&C for their elites and do something a little special to make up for any unfortunate schedule deviations. Nothing extravagant, just a little show of good faith that says "we value our loyal guests". Those kinds of customer service experiences keep loyal elites loyal.

My guess that they will still possibly go to Milford Sound as they generally have an overnight excursion from Milford to Dunedin. Going through Thompson, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds at night would probably not occur for two reasons. 1. Dept of Conservation would probably not permit a night transit because of the danger of something happening. There is plenty of angst now by conservationists about cruise ships transiting these Sounds and secondly by bypassing the sounds and the speed restrictions imposed the ship will be able to make up time to get to Dunedin. On Solstice's last visit to NZ which we were on we had two helicopters fly out to the ship 12 hours out of Milford and off load a sick passenger and his family. It is a disappointment to miss the Sounds but not the end of the world.

Whoa whoa whoa. Nobody is implying that RCL is legally obligated to provide compensation or anything like that. Clearly under their T&C they are not. What we were saying is that we were accustomed to travel providers (such as Delta airlines) who go well above and beyond their T&C for their elites and do something a little special to make up for any unfortunate schedule deviations. Nothing extravagant, just a little show of good faith that says "we value our loyal guests". Those kinds of customer service experiences keep loyal elites loyal.

I agree with you. Compensation never crossed my mind. I just got off the elevator and apparently there is a petition going around on the ship about missing the fiords. That was news to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So all those passengers should also raise a petition to say that in the event of them taking ill necessitating a medevac they absolve the cruise line of any liability and wish to remain on board until the next scheduled port - Yeah right

I doubt any other cruise line would have handled it differently. Missing the fjords it probably the only option the ship has. Doing the fjords the ship loses a full day as they can't very well sail thru them at night. It's probable that there is no way to make the other ports on time if a full day behind even if they skip Dunedin they still might be unable to make Napier (or whatever the next port is). Dunedin is an 8 hour stop, it's hard to make up 24 hours by missing an 8 hour stop. So you might also miss Napier by doing the Fjords and even then, missing another 8 hour stop still puts the ship 8 hours behind schedule. Unless they can make time up with speed, it's just not practical. Missing those Fjords isn't a rare occurrence. When we did that cruise the one before us missed them due to weather. We missed Christchurch due to weather. Yup, it's sucks but that's cruising. Sometimes you have to just roll with it.

We were on the Jan 22 Solstice and missed Dunedin and the fiords.

Disappointed but Still had a great cruise. Didn’t expect compensation.

First time we ever had cancellations. Had been lucky.

A year ago we travelled on the Solstice to see NZ. The Carnival ship the day before us had not been able to enter the Sounds because of weather or dock at Dunedin either. I think it is the luck of the draw sometimes. (and not just a Celebrity problem)

You had a very good captain too who cared about all your safety in making sure you got back to Australia rather than having you caught in a major storm.

I doubt any other cruise line would have handled it differently. Missing the fjords it probably the only option the ship has. Doing the fjords the ship loses a full day as they can't very well sail thru them at night. It's probable that there is no way to make the other ports on time if a full day behind even if they skip Dunedin they still might be unable to make Napier (or whatever the next port is). Dunedin is an 8 hour stop, it's hard to make up 24 hours by missing an 8 hour stop. So you might also miss Napier by doing the Fjords and even then, missing another 8 hour stop still puts the ship 8 hours behind schedule. Unless they can make time up with speed, it's just not practical. Missing those Fjords isn't a rare occurrence. When we did that cruise the one before us missed them due to weather. We missed Christchurch due to weather. Yup, it's sucks but that's cruising. Sometimes you have to just roll with it.

The people complaining on the Celebrity ship could currently be on a Princess ship right now which is missing Napier and Tauranga so that it can safely travel up the West Coast of New Zealand to get to Auckland where it is meant to finally dock. This is because of Cyclone Hola which will be hitting the North East of New Zealand tomorrow. Things could always be worse.

So all those passengers should also raise a petition to say that in the event of them taking ill necessitating a medevac they absolve the cruise line of any liability and wish to remain on board until the next scheduled port - Yeah right

This was not a medivac, the ship turned around and returned to port. This was one of many trips we have taken. We were actually scheduled to go in 2018, but 6 months prior I had a stroke and we didn't feel comfortable going so far away. Instead we went to Hawaii three times that winter.

This was one place we were really looking forward to. We will not be coming back..so I guess you could say it was " a trip of a lifetime"

We are not inexperience in problems at sea. On our very first cruise in 1980 a lady with cancer had to be taken in a lifeboat to a remote island and was picked up by the coast guard. As I previously mentioned in South America a passenger became ill after we left the Faulkland Islands and we went directly to Ushuaia so they could get her off the ship. Our only thoughts were hopefully she had evacuation insurance.

I would like to know why the ship made such a drastic measure as to return to port? Is the heli pad adequate?

noun

the evacuation of military or other casualties to the hospital in a helicopter or airplane.

verb

transport (someone) to the hospital in a helicopter or airplane.
    "the helicopter pilot who medevacked me the day I got shot"

This was not a medivac, the ship turned around and returned to port. This was one of many trips we have taken. We were actually scheduled to go in 2018, but 6 months prior I had a stroke and we didn't feel comfortable going so far away. Instead we went to Hawaii three times that winter.

This was one place we were really looking forward to. We will not be coming back..so I guess you could say it was " a trip of a lifetime"

We are not inexperience in problems at sea. On our very first cruise in 1980 a lady with cancer had to be taken in a lifeboat to a remote island and was picked up by the coast guard. As I previously mentioned in South America a passenger became ill after we left the Faulkland Islands and we went directly to Ushuaia so they could get her off the ship. Our only thoughts were hopefully she had evacuation insurance.

I would like to know why the ship made such a drastic measure as to return to port? Is the heli pad adequate?

noun

•  

the evacuation of military or other casualties to the hospital in a helicopter or airplane.

verb

•  

It doesn’t matter why. Obviously the decision to return to port was made in the best interest of the ill passenger.

I just can’t comprehend the level of annoyance with people, these days.

“Ship” happens...

It doesn’t matter why. Obviously the decision to return to port was made in the best interest of the ill passenger.

I just can’t comprehend the level of annoyance with people, these days.

“Ship” happens...

I guess the level of irrritance comes down to time, how much you paid for the cruise and business class tickets, poor communication, and not getting what was advertised. You know I cannot comprehend the level of passivity of people today. Maybe when you get older you will GET IT

Just for your information, I will be 70 in a couple of months.

And I’ve learned through my own experiences, that life isn’t perfect...things go wrong...and to always be grateful that I have the means and ability to be able to cruise. I’m not new to cruising whatsoever. And have experienced missed ports, due to a variety of reasons.

Just for your information, I will be 70 in a couple of months.

And I’ve learned through my own experiences, that life isn’t perfect...things go wrong...and to always be grateful that I have the means and ability to be able to cruise. I’m not new to cruising whatsoever. And have experienced missed ports, due to a variety of reasons.

For your information I am 73 and we just had our 49th anniversary. No life isn't perfect...look at our WH

noun

verb

•  

This is speculation as someone that lives in country Victoria who HAS been medivaced to Melbourne because of a stroke.

The incident occurred out at sea, around South East Gippsland, possibly Sale, who if they are anything like us do NOT have a helicopter. When we get medivaced a plane has to come from Melbourne to us who then take us back to Melbourne.

Even if there was something that could collect the patient from the ship (which would delay you by a few hours) the patient would then probably be flown to Melbourne anyway so would be medivaced so your argument is null and void.

The patient has had a medical evacution which is what medivac is short for.

We were on the Solstice in 2016 and there were 4 separate medivacs on that trip for 5 patients. 2 were at Dunedin, one before we were due to arrive and the other an hour after we left, 1 just outside of Wellington which took a few hours and one 2 hours out of Adelaide when we had to turn back. Even though we docked for the first Dunedin one it is still a medivac.

This is speculation as someone that lives in country Victoria who HAS been medivaced to Melbourne because of a stroke.

The incident occurred out at sea, around South East Gippsland, possibly Sale, who if they are anything like us do NOT have a helicopter. When we get medivaced a plane has to come from Melbourne to us who then take us back to Melbourne.

Even if there was something that could collect the patient from the ship (which would delay you by a few hours) the patient would then probably be flown to Melbourne anyway so would be medivaced so your argument is null and void.

The patient has had a medical evacution which is what medivac is short for.

We were on the Solstice in 2016 and there were 4 separate medivacs on that trip for 5 patients. 2 were at Dunedin, one before we were due to arrive and the other an hour after we left, 1 just outside of Wellington which took a few hours and one 2 hours out of Adelaide when we had to turn back. Even though we docked for the first Dunedin one it is still a medivac.

I guess different terms for different countries. Does Australia not have helicopters that can come out to a ship? Just curious. Thank you for your insightful information

I guess different terms for different countries. Does Australia not have helicopters that can come out to a ship? Just curious. Thank you for your insightful information

We do, but they are mainly kept in the capital city, so you would have had to turn around to Melbourne in any case. It may have been quicker because of where the dock is to actually dock and take them to the nearest hospital at that time of night rather than go through the helicopter procedure. One of the main hospitals is only minutes away from the dock.

The planes we use are part of the Royal Flying Doctors Service.

We do, but they are mainly kept in the capital city, so you would have had to turn around to Melbourne in any case. It may have been quicker because of where the dock is to actually dock and take them to the nearest hospital at that time of night rather than go through the helicopter procedure. One of the main hospitals is only minutes away from the dock.

The planes we use are part of the Royal Flying Doctors Service.

Thank you for the insightful information

Hi merriem.

Totally understand your frustration. We were on the solstice about 6 weeks ago when a cyclone was tracking towards fjord land. The captain raced back to Sydney early in an attempt to outrun the cyclone which he did. Although we completely missed Dunedin and all of fjordland we considered he made the right call due to the safety of the passengers.

We also were very disappointed missing the South Island being our first cruise to nz however have moved on, we booked a similar cruise for 2019 hoping that we will see what we missed. Know how you feel but try to get over it,:)

Very sorry to hear you are missing Fiordland however even if the ship had not had to return to Melbourne the predicted sea conditions would force cancellation of the scenic touring regardless. Unfortunately there will be some quite heavy seas around the bottom of the South Island over the next few days and that usually means it is unsafe for the ships to enter the sounds.

Hi merriem.

Totally understand your frustration. We were on the solstice about 6 weeks ago when a cyclone was tracking towards fjord land. The captain raced back to Sydney early in an attempt to outrun the cyclone which he did. Although we completely missed Dunedin and all of fjordland we considered he made the right call due to the safety of the passengers.

We also were very disappointed missing the South Island being our first cruise to nz however have moved on, we booked a similar cruise for 2019 hoping that we will see what we missed. Know how you feel but try to get over it,:)

Well I understand your situation with a cyclone. Obviously that was the right decision. I have emailed our TA to cancel the Feb 2019 Solstice cruise as we feel this was a tactical decision based on short term profits vs long term client loyalty.