Questions for first time cruiser on HAL

Kathy and Kerry

As a new cruiser taking my first cruise on HAL to Alaska, I have some questions. We will be on the Eurodam.

1. I understand that there are two Gala nights when you are expected to dress up. Is that only in the MDR? Can we opt to wear jeans and go to the buffet? Those are different places, aren't they?

2. How do we make reservations for shows? Do we have to wait until we get onboard, or is there a way to do it ahead of time so that we are sure to get tickets when we want them?

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie!

HAL does not have tickets for their shows -- no reservations. You just show up. Get there about 15 minutes to 1/2 hour early to get a decent seat.

Gala nights on HAL -- not fancy at all. The majority of the men wear slacks and a collared shirt. Ladies wear slacks and a top or a dress. This is the same dress code for smart casual nights and it is the same in all the specialty restaurants.

You can wear whatever you like in the buffet.

Dress up for Main Dining Room (deck 2 and 3) Shirt tie (or open neck shirt and jacket) for men and a bit of bling for women. No shorts please (at any time in MDR)!

Wear anything in Lido Buffet (deck 9). Some dress up for Lido and some don't.

No need to make reservations for shows. Go to the showroom 10/15 minutes early and you will have no problem getting seats.

If you go to the latest show (usually 10 pm ) it is usually half empty, so you can get a decent seat easily. (on our last few cruises anyway)

You can wear jeans, shorts, t-shirts etc to the buffet at night if you wish. Even on gala nights, the minimum required in the MDR is a collared shirt and pants - khakis or chinos type.

No need to dress down for gala night to meet the new guidelines - you can dress up as much as you want if this is fun for you. DH still wears a tux and I always bring a long gown, but also more cocktail length dresses now too.

Another question: What is the best way for my husband and I to stay in touch with each other onboard? I have read about people taking walk i.e. Talkies, but is that outdated advice?

Walkie alkies cannot nogotiate the steel walls and are illegal in many ports. Leave them at home. You can leave voice messages on your stateroom phone, use post-t notes, or arrange meeting times.

HAL requires pants on men for dinner and sleeved shirts any other time in the MDR. Lido buffet was anything goes; most people were in bathing suits with or without cover-ups.

As far as keeping in touch, HAL has an onboard app that has messaging. It wad very handy and free to use on your smart - phones. It also gave you what's happening onboard and account info. Very helpful!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Another question: What is the best way for my husband and I to stay in touch with each other onboard? I have read about people taking walk i.e. Talkies, but is that outdated advice?

There is a chat feature (sort of like messaging) on the HA Navigation app if you both have phones. It's free and works fine but there is no alarm to alert you that a message was sent so you have to continually check your phone.

I have a follow up MDR question. I understand we can wear jeans in the MDR if it’s not gala night, my question for veteran HAL cruisers is...will I be comfortable in a nice pair of black jeans as far as comparison to how others might be dressed? This is an Alaska cruise if that makes a difference.

Look on the HAL website for HAL Navigator. It's for use on your smart phone. It enables you to communicate with another passenger (your question) but also allows you to view your on-board account; look at the MDR menu for the evening; and a bunch of other stuff.

We are doing an Alaska cruise on Eurodam (July 28) and plan on using the Navigator for all the reasons I've mentioned and also because we will be traveling with another couple.

Hope this information helps and have a wonderful cruise.

I'm posting this again since I'm not sure the first one went through.

Regarding communication between each other you should go to the HAL web-site and look up HAL Navigator. You use Navigator on your smart phone and it lets you text each other I believe. It also allows you to look at your on-board account (something you cannot do on your cabin TV like a hotel room) as well as review the MDR menu for the evening and a bunch of other stuff.

My wife and I are doing an Alaskan Cruise on Eurodam at the end of this July and plan on signing up for Navigator.

Hope this information helps and have a wonderful cruise.

HAL requires pants on men for dinner and sleeved shirts any other time in the MDR. Lido buffet was anything goes; most people were in bathing suits with or without cover-ups.

Wow. I have never seen anyone in the Lido without a cover-up.

With All due respect, I don’t think that is how it works. Passengers cannot monitor what others choose to wear in Dining venues. Apparently that is what CC is for.

Nobody said that was how it works, but I did say that I would 'remind' someone who was blatantly ignoring guidelines for attire in specific venues. I would politely remind them, and then suggest that they considering changing into something that was more in line with HAL's guidelines.

I have a follow up MDR question. I understand we can wear jeans in the MDR if it’s not gala night, my question for veteran HAL cruisers is...will I be comfortable in a nice pair of black jeans as far as comparison to how others might be dressed? This is an Alaska cruise if that makes a difference.

I wouldn’t worry a ton about how others are dressed. On a non gala night, you won’t see short ( Alaska) but you will see pretty much everything else. Even gala nights are less formal in Alaska. One of our friends wore black jeans wore black jeans to dinner every night, even the gala nights. With a nice top and shoes, you couldn’t tell they were jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nobody said that was how it works, but I did say that I would 'remind' someone who was blatantly ignoring guidelines for attire in specific venues. I would politely remind them, and then suggest that they considering changing into something that was more in line with HAL's guidelines.

Wow. I cannot imagine a situation where another passenger would have the audacity to suggest to someone that they should change their attire. That type of behavior is much more insulting than what someone is wearing!

It is one thing to come on Cruise Critic and discuss what is proper and improper and quite another to accost another passenger, no matter how politely it might SEEM, and suggest to them that they need to change their clothes.

There is no polite way to mind someone else’s business.