Carnival - the cruise line of those who love to wait in line???

L1211

Don't like lines? Willing to pay a little more? BUY FTTF. Beat the lines at the food venues on embarkation day. The staff that would normally be working in the MDR and some of the other closed venues are pushing wheelchairs, delivering luggage, answering questions, and all of the various other tasks that are limited to embarkation day. I think that it may be unreasonable to expect them to "staff up" to the level required to have everything open on embarkation day, when the additional staffing is only necessary for one day.

NCL has their MDR open on embarkation day....maybe they have more staff per passenger ratio? Not sure how they do it but Carnival can't.

And not everyone on the ship can buy FTTF. You do realize that buying FTTF is only good to make a small number of people get food without a line. The other 95% of passengers still have to wait in long lines, which I agree is not acceptable for your vacation.

The lines for comedy shows are just as bad!

NCL has their MDR open on embarkation day....maybe they have more staff per passenger ratio? Not sure how they do it but Carnival can't.

The bliss does by the volume (of for pay) restaurants. I think counted 15

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The bliss does by the volume (of for pay) restaurants. I think counted 15

We sailed Breakaway this past March. We boarded, then ate lunch in the MDR (no charge). My kids ate in O'Sheehan's. Buffet line was not crowded either, we just don't like buffets. When you have more free dining options, the lines are manageable in all the venues. Spreads people out.

We sailed Breakaway this past March. We boarded, then ate lunch in the MDR (no charge). My kids ate in O'Sheehan's. Buffet line was not crowded either, we just don't like buffets. When you have more free dining options, the lines are manageable in all the venues. Spreads people out.

My point was that the spreading is because of the number of food venues (most of which are for pay).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HAL has the MDR open for embarkation lunch which makes a difference. Royal Oasis class has MDR open for buffet and ala carte breakfast which is a great idea and also cuts down on lines elsewhere. Royal's buffet island concept is a great improvement over Carnival straight line buffet. I wish Carnival would follow suit in these areas.

HAL has the MDR open for embarkation lunch which makes a difference. Royal Oasis class has MDR open for buffet and ala carte breakfast which is a great idea and also cuts down on lines elsewhere. Royal's buffet island concept is a great improvement over Carnival straight line buffet. I wish Carnival would follow suit in these areas.

I noticed this on my RCCL and NCL cruises that they set up their buffets better. They have separate stations no set line. You just go to the area you want. I’ve got two Carnival cruises booked coming up, first ones since 2007, and I hope this won’t be an annoying feature.

My point was that the spreading is because of the number of food venues (most of which are for pay).

Why are you pointing out the fact that they are for pay when it makes NCL look bad but when CCL does it, you praise it for giving people more options?

Actually, most of NCL food venues are complimentary. But they also have a far larger selection of specialty restaurants than Carnival, if you choose to do that.

Actually, most of NCL food venues are complimentary. But they also have a far larger selection of specialty restaurants than Carnival, if you choose to do that.

Not true on NCL Breakaway. You’ve got MDR, buffet and O’Sheehans for complimentary. Then you’ve got something like 12 paid eateries.

So, first impressions are that Carnival staffs for lines. And then as a customer you wait or not, your choice. Eat or not, also your choice. Have a drink or not- again, your choice, depends on your threshold for waiting in line. Mine happens to be limited.

No MDR on embarkation day. So, everyone has to eat on 9 at the buffet, Guys, Pizza or the Mexican cantina. Why not have those open???

Line at Guys

2ee36800ccb7e28954f1f7a97d3bd27a.jpg

Blue Iguanas closed right next door 27279b6586951c2a3a78a01738a7204d.jpg

Deli is open with a line as far as you can see

97bc69260a12474ad60c537c893a4e9d.jpg

Half the buffet is closed

298afb9ee9c15ffddc9c2d52aaefa47c.jpg

And half the buffet is open with a line as far as you can see...a244a499b98e695079e66a7f48085066.jpg

Wait for it, the longest line yet, pizza! a724ba57328bcaf4c8be99b01c16ac39.jpg

Just wow. Your customers deserve more Carnival... no one vacations to wait in line!! My humble opinion. Charge little more and staff you facilities maybe???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDR is never open on embarkation day until dinner time.

MDR is never open on embarkation day until dinner time.

That’s really disturbing. I’m all excited to try all these new food venues on my next cruise on the Breeze, but after sailing RCCL and NCL and not Carnival since 2007, I find these lines really alarming. Why no MDR on embarkation day? And there were no lines on buffets on my Royal and NCL ships because of how they were set up (stations). And on NCL, we also had a very large free venue called O’Sheehan’s Irish Pub, that we actually chose upon entering ship this last cruise, as we wanted to catch a play off NFL game on their big screens. It has a full menu in a sit down restaurant and open 24 hours a day. Fingers crossed for short lines on the Breeze. Hey, maybe I’ll get lucky and snap up a FTTF so I can get on early. 🤞

I'm an avid NCL cruiser so can only compare to what I've experience and have never experienced this... we did purchase FTTF and boarding was a breeze and rooms were ready at 11:45. I ate at Seafood Shack and it was wonderful. Don't do burgers and would normally eat at MDR on embarkation day for an nice quiet sit down lunch. Not a Buffet fan - knew dining would be limited on the Victory with no speciality restaurants. But I did not expect the lines. I wasn't hungry or looking for food. I simply find them offensive for their brand. I think paying customers deserve better.

Wa, wa, wa

That’s really disturbing. I’m all excited to try all these new food venues on my next cruise on the Breeze, but after sailing RCCL and NCL and not Carnival since 2007, I find these lines really alarming. Why no MDR on embarkation day? And there were no lines on buffets on my Royal and NCL ships because of how they were set up (stations). And on NCL, we also had a very large free venue called O’Sheehan’s Irish Pub, that we actually chose upon entering ship this last cruise, as we wanted to catch a play off NFL game on their big screens. It has a full menu in a sit down restaurant and open 24 hours a day. Fingers crossed for short lines on the Breeze. Hey, maybe I’ll get lucky and snap up a FTTF so I can get on early. 🤞

I sure found them for lunch on embarkation day on our Oasis cruise.....wait, I recant that. We never got into windjammer and were turned away, told to find somewhere else to eat. That is def a better plan.

I sure found them for lunch on embarkation day on our Oasis cruise.....wait, I recant that. We never got into windjammer and were turned away, told to find somewhere else to eat. That is def a better plan.

Yah but on Oasis class there are many other options. Park Cafe, solarium buffet, wipeout cafe, sorrentos......

Yah but on Oasis class there are many other options. Park Cafe, solarium buffet, wipeout cafe, sorrentos......

True, on our third stop, we finally got something. Is that better?? Was not for us that day. Perception is in the eye of the viewer.

True, on our third stop, we finally got something. Is that better?? Was not for us that day. Perception is in the eye of the viewer.

Interesting. We went right to Park Cafe. No line plenty of seats. That was reality not perception. Lol [emoji23].

Interesting. We went right to Park Cafe. No line plenty of seats. That was reality not perception. Lol [emoji23].

Actually that is where we ended up. We got food but no seats. Would have been fine if we knew to go there first. No perception there either. My perception comment is standing in line or being turned away, neither a good scenario, but you knew that already....right?

Where do the employees that normally work the Lido buffet go?

They all work there, some at different times, especially when things are busy (like embarkation day, or debarkation morning).

And if you go on Dream or Vista Class there are more options than conquest class. On Breeze I ate in a nearly empty cucina del capitano for lunch on embarkation day.

I’m betting Pasta Bella on Dream next month will be the same.

I would have enjoyed more pay venues on carnival. I think the Victory was more limited than most carnival ships (I am not an expert!) but we do enjoy speciality dining. I did find the MDR on the Victory to be better than the MDR on Harmony of the Seas which we sailed two weeks later though... both in food quality and service. But we only tried the MDR twice on HOTS and four times on Victory. Of course, the speciality dining in HOTS was outstanding.

Where do the employees that normally work the Lido buffet go?
The question that was asked was, why no MDR on embarkation day. Because many of the crew who cover the MDR in the evenings also cover the Lido buffet during the day. As jimbo said, they're all there on Lido. Those who typically work Lido combined with the help from those from the MDR. The guy who served me nearly every one of my Guy's burgers at lunch a few weeks ago was also an assistant MDR waiter in the evening. They don't open the MDR on embarkation day because most of those who staff it are busy working on Lido.