Carnival - the cruise line of those who love to wait in line???

L1211

RCCL's layout for the buffet is better; but it was THE WORST NIGHTMARE we ever experienced after we filled out plates - absolutely NOWHERE to SIT....wound fruitlessly around the area squeezing between chairs that were jammed too closely together due to putting too many tables in the area...it was awful. We've never experienced this on CARNIVAL.

I can't speak specifically to the Oasis class, but it seems like RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, and even NCL have all done much better than Carnival in managing traffic flow, at least at the Lido buffet. RC's Windjammer has the round buffets where you can just jump in for that one thing you want. The other lines use a "station" concept or at least smaller serving lines so that every single person does not have to wait in the same line. Meanwhile, Carnival ships (at least through the Dream class) still have the same long cafeteria-style serving lines that force you to wait behind everybody else, just like their new-build ships 30+ years ago.

WTH ship was this?

What time did the ship leave port?

This is victory and all the pics were taken at 4:30 just after sail away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCCL's layout for the buffet is better; but it was THE WORST NIGHTMARE we ever experienced after we filled out plates - absolutely NOWHERE to SIT....wound fruitlessly around the area squeezing between chairs that were jammed too closely together due to putting too many tables in the area...it was awful. We've never experienced this on CARNIVAL.

You know, my sister was on Harmony of the Seas late February and said this. Said folks would fill plates and dump them without eating, as did she, from no where to sit! I'm on HOTS in two weeks. Will report back on the lines and seating in the buffet.

On that note, with MyTimeDining, better beware. We missed the first night, due to mom sleeping and us going to the LIDO; but the next night was formal night and a nightmare. The key is to hit the dining room at the right time. The first hour and last hour are best. We were told this and tested it. It worked! The ones in the middle have to wait for all those in front of them to finish dining and for tables to be reset. After our first night, we got right in. Learn to play the game.

We've been waiting 30 to 40 minutes for MTD between 8 and 8:30 on this sailing. That is still preferred to trying to have two 20 somethings ready at a committed time so I'm thankful it is an option, but waiting continues to be a theme!

Depending on what ship your are on, they often have "other" dining venues available; and they are very nice - especially on embarkation day. For example, on the Sunshine, they have two full venues (plus a small "snack" bar, Cuban style) at the very back of the ship, a right turn from the LIDO dining area, that are free...and NOT CROWDED - wonderful views and wonderful hot/fresh made to order food. The Breeze and other ships offer one BIG dining area up through a staircase, if not two...usually Cucins del Capitano....or some have Fish 'n Chips up there.

What ship were you on?

We are on Victory and these are the only options. They really struggle at peak times to handle the crowds. And pizza as the only late night option is a nightmare. 17 deep for coffee at the only coffee place this morning...

This is victory and all the pics were taken at 4:30 just after sail away.

So that explains the lines. They shut various places down like the buffet to transition to dinner. I do think they could keep Blue Iguana open a little later, though.

Most people should have eaten by then but apparently they didn’t. I can say that I have never seen that type of line that late in the day at Guy’s (both sides as you showed) or for pizza. Well maybe super late at night when it’s the only thing open. Dinner in the MDR started in an hour and a half. Wonder if they were going to eat there too and if they were working on round 2 from earlier in the day after boarding? The good thing is the lines aren’t that long at embarkation and a lot more venues are open.

Unfortunately the Victory retained its terrible buffet layout in dry dock. It is a big weak point of the buffet compared to ships of other cruise lines. If you’ve been on the Victory walking by the line is pretty tight. It’s not a spacious area and gets super congested. I’m surprised the new Blue Iguana is not open at Embarkation.

We have waited in 30minute plus lines on embarkation day for lunch on Victory, never have that happen on any other cruise line, can’t bypass the bad lido layout. Do like NCL w one main dining room open, so much less hassle, nice way to start vacation sitting at comfy table w service and not crowded

I’m surprised the new Blue Iguana is not open at Embarkation.

These pics were taken at 4:30pm. Blue Iguana typically shuts down at 3:15pm (at least on the other ships I have been on) so I believe it was open at embarkation. Unless there is some reason it wasn’t. I find the thread a little misleading in the fact that it was made to sound like at embarkation all these venues were shut down when in fact, they weren’t. People should have gotten their food for the most part awhile back. If not then it wasn’t much longer for dinner either in the MDR or buffet.

These pics were taken at 4:30pm. Blue Iguana typically shuts down at 3:15pm (at least on the other ships I have been on) so I believe it was open at embarkation. Unless there is some reason it wasn’t. I find the thread a little misleading in the fact that it was made to sound like at embarkation all these venues were shut down when in fact, they weren’t. People should have gotten their food for the most part awhile back. If not then it wasn’t much longer for dinner either in the MDR or buffet.

I doubt these were taken after muster drill at sail away time; did OP say that time? I’m used to lido looking like this at 1230pm

CC has a great article titled, “15 Ways to Take the Stress out of Embarkation Day”. #5, #8, and #15 are especially fitting for this conversation.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1558

Good thing we have FTTF, so we can eat right when we board early, then hop in the hot tub with a cocktail! I even considered ordering a finger sandwich tray to tie us over until our steakhouse reservation...

Since I'm still on the Victory and this is my first Carnival cruise (since the 80s) thought I'd report back. I finally went to the buffet this morning. I used the tips on timing provided by some savvy cruisers and had no wait. Went for a long walk then breakfast at 9:30. It is also our last seaday so brunch is happening. We intend to do brunch as late as possible (1:30) since we do dinner late. I'm happy to report there was no line! But, not so happy to report the food was cold and inedible. Not sure you want the buffet off-peak...

Agreed, there's no problem getting food when you board the ship!

Ever been to a Theme Park? Just sayin........

LOL...... Some how people demand things just because... I always wonder why people don't rent a yacht....

Everyone spend their money just like you.... Take a # and wait....

That is not good customer service! Please send the pics directly to Carnival and JH.

This is a good belly laugh.... JH?? Like he will make it better.....

WOW! I suggest trying to get seats first...then go to the buffet, a couple or one at a time. It was truly awful. ;p

You know, my sister was on Harmony of the Seas late February and said this. Said folks would fill plates and dump them without eating, as did she, from no where to sit! I'm on HOTS in two weeks. Will report back on the lines and seating in the buffet.

I don't mind waiting; but what I didn't like with the SUNSHINE (until we decided to go at 5p every day) is that the buzzers don't work all over the ship. You literally have to stay right there in the ocean plaza...trapped. On the BREEZE, they gave us buzzers that worked all over the ship. We could actually go back to our balcony and relax until "buzzed". That's perfectly fine to me. :cool:

We've been waiting 30 to 40 minutes for MTD between 8 and 8:30 on this sailing. That is still preferred to trying to have two 20 somethings ready at a committed time so I'm thankful it is an option, but waiting continues to be a theme!

I didn't read through all the posts but when we took the Victory, Blue Iguana was open and the full buffet was open. The only thing closed is MDR. Something was off that caused these things to be closed and this is not a typical experience.

But, yes, even then, Embarkation day or 330-430 on a typical port day can find lines at some of these places (Blue Iguana and the buffet are closed, leaving Guys, pizza and deli to serve all the snackers).

But, your title is misleading, because the rest of the time there is very little line - especially if you don't try to each lunch in the buffet right at noon! Work around the herd mentality and you will have zero issue like we do.

I didn't read through all the posts but when we took the Victory, Blue Iguana was open and the full buffet was open. The only thing closed is MDR. Something was off that caused these things to be closed and this is not a typical experience.

The pics were taken at 4:30pm when the buffet and Blue Iguana were closed. That’s why there were lines.

The pics were taken at 4:30pm when the buffet and Blue Iguana were closed. That’s why there were lines.

Well that explains it! I would never be eating at 430 pm - way to close to our normal 6/630 dinner time. Must be a mad rush after muster?

Thats why they offer early and late seating..... Sounds like you should have just signed up for 8:15 seating...and you would have just walked to your table. YTD allows you more flexibility but other passengers could have the same time idea when to eat. Many times it varies based on ages of passengers.... Since this appears to be more of a Spring Break cruise....more people (20 somethings) likely are eating late after partying it up all day and getting ready for the evening festivities. Many time...a simple inquiry to reservation desk will give you the best time to arrive based on the 1st day or 2 dinner flow.

Well that explains it! I would never be eating at 430 pm - way to close to our normal 6/630 dinner time. Must be a mad rush after muster?

Yes it does. I too found the title extremely misleading. It sounded like Pizza, Guy’s, and the Deli were the only no charge options from the start of embarkation which wasn’t true.

They have to transition over to dinner at some point and most people eat as soon as they get onboard. So if they got on late or couldn’t hold out for another hour and a half for dinner time or at least for about half the people to go to dinner, then yeah, you’re going to wait. And the pic of the long line wasn’t even of the buffet. It was the other side of Guy’s Burger which goes very fast.

Some the lines are long. But the lines at Disney World are MUCH longer and move MUCH slower.

We find the lines on Carnival occasionally look pretty daunting, but the move quickly. I, too, would like for the MDRs to be open on embarkation day (like NCL, for instance), but they aren't. On our last Carnival cruise on the Dream, we found a little pasta place above the Gathering buffet that was open on Day 1, but so few knew it was there, it was almost empty.

Priority boarding, whether through loyalty (Diamond/Platinum level) or FTTF, also helps. With both, your cabin is ready before you set foot on board, so you can drop off your carry-ons -- if you have any -- and head to Lido for relatively short lines. A buck or two with your first few drink orders will almost guarantee that server will make it back to you in a speedy manner.

There are ways around some of the waiting.....

I was in no way intending to be misleading. I'm a first time carnival cruiser and was only reporting what I experienced. We waited 35 minutes for a fabulous pizza, gave up most morning for the coffee house coffee and opted for the Buffet free coffee due to lines. Only tried he Buffet once, no lines but cold food. Did the deli once, 17 minutes for a really good sandwich from a delightful team member named Ruben. We had a fantastic time and I'd cruise the Victory again in a heartbeat. Just sharing what we experienced and it surprised me. No, it was not always that way, for sure, but much longer lines than we experienced on NCL. It just seems to be part of the experience with so many free venues in my humble opinion.