Carnival - the cruise line of those who love to wait in line???

L1211

Check out my live review! Tons of positives. Really all positive except crowd control on the first day... the ship is lovely. One of my favorite cabins I've had. MDR was wonderful. Had an amazing time at the piano bar!!! Sorry, I'm not a negative Nancy or down on carnival...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very sensitive to lines too but I think it's pretty ship dependent. On the Sunshine both times I was on her, I got pretty annoyed by the constant lines and crowds. Other ships haven't been that way.

I haven't been on the Vista or Horizon so I'm unsure if it's a new ship thing or what. My most recent ships were Conquest, Pride and Splendor and I don't remember difficult lines or crowds on embarkation day or otherwise. I can't remember noticing anything on the Liberty or whatever other ship I was on first but they were almost 10 years ago. The only place there seemed to always be an issue was the Comedy club. The company grossly underestimated what a hit those were going to be.

I do hate lines and I work to avoid them. Airports? TSA pre-check and elite airline status does the trick!

Sorry but at my local airport (Austin/Bergstrom) the TSA Pre-check line is often longer than the regular line!

The line that surprised me on a Carnival ship was the VERY VERY long line to sign children in for Kid Club!

As we were walking by, a woman we had met earlier while embarking spotted us and ask us to hold her place in line so she could take her child to the bathroom.

She said they had been in line for almost an hour.

I thought you could sign your children in for Kids Club on line. :confused:

Embarkation day on a Carnival ship will have lines, the bigger ships will have bigger lines, it is a fact. We tend to stay away from the lines during that time. Saying that Oasis class does not have lines might be technically correct but misleading (at least from my experience). I will give you two examples. When we embarked Oasis, we went up to WIndjammer to eat. We were turned away saying it was at capacity. I laughed and asked what we should do and the person at the door said go to another restaurant and I asked what these options were and got a nebulous reply. We ended up eating at the deli in Central Park after wandering around asking other guests. It worked, and there were fewer lines, but I am not sure the experience was better from my perspective and certainly not optimal.

The second example was the next morning at breakfast. Same scenario, went to Windjammer, were turned away. This time at least we got some info saying look at video boards in the lobby's telling capacity of restaurants. Better, as in no lines, but again we had to eat somewhere where I might not have chosen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry but at my local airport (Austin/Bergstrom) the TSA Pre-check line is often longer than the regular line!

I fly through there often and you are so right!!!

We took our first Disney theme park vacation last October with some good friends who are extreme Disney fans. For them, the vacation was “magical”. For us, not so much. It felt like we spent five days standing in line for 30-60 minutes at a time to enjoy 3 minutes of fun, intertwined with breaks walking from one place to the other and looking for a place to take cover from the blistering heat. Even catching our transportation back to the hotel at the end of the day, the wait seemed like an eternity with tired, cranky kids on the verge of tears aboard a packed monorail with sweaty people. My wife would repeatedly lean over and whisper in my ear “NEVER again!” [emoji23]

But like with cruising, I guess the secret is to come up with a plan to minimize how much time one spends standing in line. And not try to pack the day from sunrise to sundown with activities. If we ever go back to the Disney parks, we will do it in a different way. But after our first experience, it will probably be years before we do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is hilarious!! Agree, not terribly magical. We did Disneyland at Christmas this year - one day and one day only. We hoped from fast pass to fast pass and even rode the coasters on the single rider lines - versus waiting literally hours, it took minutes. Some may find that crazy but it's how we roll. We have teen/adult children so it works!

On our last two NCL cruises, the MDR was open. We loved having a relaxing lunch to start the cruise and to wait for our room. But when in Rome, er, on Carnival, we'll probably go with Guy's or the Blue Iguana Cantina or whatever is open. Not big buffet fans. We also are trying FTTF. Will likely pack what we need that first night in a carry on bag or two, bring it with us to lunch and then go to the room afterward. Looking forward to it. Thought about dropping off the light bags first but sounds like it could be nuts quickly for the food. Like to relax in the room when we first get there and those precious minutes could put us at the back of the line. lol

I am really, really, not a fan of long lines. Sadly the fear of them kept me from cruising for a long time. Happy to say that, I have learned over time to work around the lines. I don't mind eating at off times. I don't mind getting up early for a lounger by the pool. I don't mind arriving at the theater early for shows. Embarkation day is always going to be challenging but, I just make the best of it. You have to adjust. I just try to work with the crowd instead of against it.

Big ships mean big lines, unfortunately. That's why I like the smaller ships.

I completely agree!!!! Sailing on the Elation in a few weeks and looking forward to a cruise where there just aren't sooo many people.

However, the best place to avoid lines for food on the Dream class ships is the Tandoori!! Never a line and some of the best food you will have on a cruise. Truly wish this was on all the ships.

Embarkation day on a Carnival ship will have lines, the bigger ships will have bigger lines, it is a fact. We tend to stay away from the lines during that time. Saying that Oasis class does not have lines might be technically correct but misleading (at least from my experience). I will give you two examples. When we embarked Oasis, we went up to WIndjammer to eat. We were turned away saying it was at capacity. I laughed and asked what we should do and the person at the door said go to another restaurant and I asked what these options were and got a nebulous reply. We ended up eating at the deli in Central Park after wandering around asking other guests. It worked, and there were fewer lines, but I am not sure the experience was better from my perspective and certainly not optimal.

The second example was the next morning at breakfast. Same scenario, went to Windjammer, were turned away. This time at least we got some info saying look at video boards in the lobby's telling capacity of restaurants. Better, as in no lines, but again we had to eat somewhere where I might not have chosen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you got at absolute peak times then this can happen. Never seen then turn people away though. They just for a rather small line that moves fast. Instead of a free for all like other lines, they quickly bus tables and move the line nicely with a host. It's a well run operation.

That said, if you go slightly earlier it's practically empty. Even then, they offer buffet options in both the MDR and solarium bistro with similar items. Plus you can get breakfast at Johnny Rockets complimentary.

I think the point that the other poster made was that compared to Carnival with one dining location, Oasis brilliantly moves people around and you can easily skip anything that may be busy, thus avoiding lines with no effort at all.

I completely agree!!!! Sailing on the Elation in a few weeks and looking forward to a cruise where there just aren't sooo many people.

However, the best place to avoid lines for food on the Dream class ships is the Tandoori!! Never a line and some of the best food you will have on a cruise. Truly wish this was on all the ships.

Agree 100%. I love Indian food and it is quite popular in Toronto. I was just on the Splendor and there was almost never a line for it on aft Starboard side, while some days the Deli line was backed up to almost the Tandoor. I guess if the demographic is more straight forward meat and starch and Indian is not appealing then those of us who love it reap the windfall. Literally the Nan was right out of the oven!!! Yum

If you got at absolute peak times then this can happen. Never seen then turn people away though. They just for a rather small line that moves fast. Instead of a free for all like other lines, they quickly bus tables and move the line nicely with a host. It's a well run operation.

That said, if you go slightly earlier it's practically empty. Even then, they offer buffet options in both the MDR and solarium bistro with similar items. Plus you can get breakfast at Johnny Rockets complimentary.

I think the point that the other poster made was that compared to Carnival with one dining location, Oasis brilliantly moves people around and you can easily skip anything that may be busy, thus avoiding lines with no effort at all.

Got the point the poster was making. We were actually turned away....fact. I guess we could have ignored them and walked by, but that is not us. I get your point about different times, think that works on all lines. Royal does do a good job at hiding people, I can agree on that. I have an issue with paying for JR's for lunch or dinner, but that is a different topic for a different day. Not trying to make this a Carnival vs Royal thing tho....

I have an issue with paying for JR's for lunch or dinner, but that is a different topic for a different day. Not trying to make this a Carnival vs Royal thing tho....

Do you visit your local Johnny Rockets while on land and expect not having to pay additional for lunch or dinner?

Do you visit your local Johnny Rockets while on land and expect not having to pay additional for lunch or dinner?

Ummm what does land have to do with anything. Since you asked, Nickel and diming at sea has nothing to do with what is available on land. $10 for a seating charge for an inferior hamburger is something that they should be ashamed of. Would I pay $50 for a bottle of decent wine on land? Nor does it have anything to do with whether I would on a cruise ship?

Ummm what does land have to do with anything. Since you asked, Nickel and diming at sea has nothing to do with what is available on land. $10 for a seating charge for an inferior hamburger is something that they should be ashamed of. Would I pay $50 for a bottle of decent wine on land? Nor does it have anything to do with whether I would on a cruise ship?

You aren't paying $9.95 for a hamburger. It's a restaurant concept. You can get a complimentary hamburger at wipeout or windjammer. Guys doesn't offer any service, it's a very good grab and go and should be complimentary, as it is. But Guy's is comparable to Wipeout in that respect, not Johnny Rockets. If you simply don't like Johnny Rockets, that's fine, but I'm not sure I understand the aversion to paying a cover charge as most lines seem to require cover charges for similar concepts.

I do think it made more sense at $7.95 though. But NCL charges $16.95 for Margaritaville, so Royal isn't that outrageous. I think ultimately I like the cover charge. If Johnny Rockets was complimentary, the line would be outrageous and you could never even get a table anyways. There is a good complimentary hot dog stand right next to it though with all sorts of options.

Oh, brother! I hope I don’t regret coming back to Carnival after cruising RCCL and NCL. Their buffets are set up so there are no lines. This is crazy! I’m in the Breeze next March, and it could be our last on Carnival if this the case.

You aren't paying $9.95 for a hamburger. It's a restaurant concept. You can get a complimentary hamburger at wipeout or windjammer. Guys doesn't offer any service, it's a very good grab and go and should be complimentary, as it is. But Guy's is comparable to Wipeout in that respect, not Johnny Rockets. If you simply don't like Johnny Rockets, that's fine, but I'm not sure I understand the aversion to paying a cover charge as most lines seem to require cover charges for similar concepts.

I do think it made more sense at $7.95 though. But NCL charges $16.95 for Margaritaville, so Royal isn't that outrageous. I think ultimately I like the cover charge. If Johnny Rockets was complimentary, the line would be outrageous and you could never even get a table anyways. There is a good complimentary hot dog stand right next to it though with all sorts of options.

Lol, last comment from me and I will on. The burgers in Wind jammer that sit on congealed fat are a disgrace and in no way comparable to guys. Almost inedible. In fact, JR’s are not even comparable to guys. The vast majority of posters here would agree from a taste perspective. Justifying 10 bucks by calling it a seating fee or a restaurant concept (that’s is a new one and almost laugh out loud funny) is nickel and diming and you correctly compare it to the nickel and dime king of cruise lines NCL. Interestingly enough the posters on the NCL boards agree with that. Maybe that is why there are no lines.