Carnival - the cruise line of those who love to wait in line???

L1211

OP here, I have to correct myself. I said I wouldn't wait in these lines, and yet... girls wanted pizza about 12:20 last night. The entire process, waiting in line, ordering and baking took 35 minutes. The pizza was outstanding! But really Carnival, doesn't there have to be a better way? Maybe pre-baked slices for this who just want grab and go versus customizing their own? Wouldn't that take a ton of pressure off the bake to order line? Maybe an Ipad order system so you can order then sit and wait in the are and have a drink versus just standing in line? I think a little innovation would totally solve for the customer experience. We're on vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually they pump out pepperoni for people who don’t want to customize. I was on breeze last week and they had heat lamps. Most people did not want the pizzas under the heat lamps they wanted fresh. Even then I don’t think I ever waited 35 mins. Maybe 20 with the longest line and me customizing.

OP here, I have to correct myself. I said I wouldn't wait in these lines, and yet... girls wanted pizza about 12:20 last night. The entire process, waiting in line, ordering and baking took 35 minutes. The pizza was outstanding! But really Carnival, doesn't there have to be a better way? Maybe pre-baked slices for this who just want grab and go versus customizing their own? Wouldn't that take a ton of pressure off the bake to order line? Maybe an Ipad order system so you can order then sit and wait in the are and have a drink versus just standing in line? I think a little innovation would totally solve for the customer experience. We're on vacation!

On NCL's Escape, Food Republic does this. Granted, its a sit down restaurant where you have an ipad at your seat. You select everything you want, enjoy a drink while you're waiting and it comes your way when its ready. In the absence of a table with a number on it, Carnival could give you a pager or buzzer. I doubt anyone would take them as you have to bring them back to get your pizza and what good would they do you otherwise. Food Republic, BTW, is the best restaurant hands down on Escape. GREAT food.

Maybe an Ipad order system so you can order then sit and wait in the are and have a drink versus just standing in line? I think a little innovation would totally solve for the customer experience. We're on vacation!

Since the (at the time) revolutionary Destiny was introduced, Carnival has not been known for being an industry leader when it comes to implementing technology or innovative approaches the same way that other mainstream cruise lines have. They have chosen to take a more conservative approach and capitalize on tried and true concepts rather than tinker with truly new and revolutionary ones. This is why when a new class of Carnival ships is introduced, it feels more like a tweaked version of an old class of ship rather than a completely new one. But with that said, this approach has worked well over the years and Carnival has enjoyed record breaking profits.

But in my humble opinion, there are only so many times a cruise line (or any business for that matter) can tweak an old product before they need to come up with something truly new. If Carnival wants to truly remain competitive, they will need to get out of their comfort zone and embrace new designs and new ways in which to use technology.

One of the things that I truly enjoyed about my last cruise (aboard Disney) was in fact the use of technology. From face-recognition software at photo kiosks, to automated hand washing machines, to the use of magical wristbands with integrated gps tracking software for children, to their multi function phone app, to wave phones that every passenger gets and that can be used both on the ship and at their private island, technology made that cruise much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival sure knows how to fix the pizza situation. HAL's NY pizza & burger joint both use pagers and it works just fine. But hey HAL opens MDR for embarkation lunch and has rooms ready at embarkation.

Usually they pump out pepperoni for people who don’t want to customize. I was on breeze last week and they had heat lamps. Most people did not want the pizzas under the heat lamps they wanted fresh. Even then I don’t think I ever waited 35 mins. Maybe 20 with the longest line and me customizing.

Royal keeps slices at the ready and you can request a custom. Virtually zero line all the time. The pizza isn't as good but sometimes I think I'd prefer not standing around waiting for 20 - 30 minutes.

This seems like an easy fix for Carnival. Just keep pizzas and slices at the ready and make custom for those who want that. Look at Little Caesars, hot and ready. It's not that complicated. But I've been on Glory and literally nothing premade and a line 20 people deep, one guy making pizza. It's not the way it should be.

I did notice last cruise on Glory they had 2 guys working the Pizza place and that did make it go faster. They also tried to have Pepperoni and Margherita in the oven at all times but as soon as they came out they were gone. Only 2 servings per pie and some wanted the whole thing. It wasn’t too bad but it got thrown off whenever someone wanted something different. I really think they need 2 ovens to keep up.

One thing I like about Oasis is the variety of complimentary venues (9 different spots spread out all over the ship) but also plenty of premium upcharge dining too. On NCL Escape, it was basically buffet, dining room, or pay (O Sheehans is a sit down/waiter dining room type venue).

Carnival does a great job with the grab/go complimentary venues, to their credit but since it's all at the same place, it still just kind of feels like an extension of the buffet other than maybe the BBQ on the waterfront promenade. I wish Carnival would spread things out a little more.

Carnival's pizza is well worth the wait, I'd agree with that!

NCL has the best complimentary food choices of all the lines I’ve been on! Nobody can beat O’Sheehans full menu offerings in a sit down setting! And then there is Shanghai Noodle Bar. And these are not grab and go venues. They are restaurants. And there buffet is the best at sea, and I never encountered a set line. You just walk up to the station you want and get your food. Carnival is just set up so wrong requiring lines for everything!

I was on the Glory last month and the Pizza wait was no better than the wait on the Breeze when it was in Europe, long lines most of the time. Royal's pizza is crap, it could only be decent if one was drunk or high. lol

Victory hasn't offered anything premade so not sure if it would have helped. But with the constant line, I'd think slices would stay fresh.

Coffee bar on the victory this morning was 17 deep with two people working. I opted for free coffee in the buffet. It was actually pretty good coffee! Lines continue to be a theme on this ship but in no way impacting our experience!! Having a blast.

On NCL's Escape, Food Republic does this. Granted, its a sit down restaurant where you have an ipad at your seat. You select everything you want, enjoy a drink while you're waiting and it comes your way when its ready. In the absence of a table with a number on it, Carnival could give you a pager or buzzer. I doubt anyone would take them as you have to bring them back to get your pizza and what good would they do you otherwise. Food Republic, BTW, is the best restaurant hands down on Escape. GREAT food.

Great comparison. We LOVED food republic! Great food. Honestly, the pizza on victory is good enough to have a full experience around it. Order,

Sit and order drinks, enjoy fabulous pies! The standing and waiting takes away from that experience.

NCL has the best complimentary food choices of all the lines I’ve been on! Nobody can beat O’Sheehans full menu offerings in a sit down setting! And then there is Shanghai Noodle Bar. And these are not grab and go venues. They are restaurants. And there buffet is the best at sea, and I never encountered a set line. You just walk up to the station you want and get your food. Carnival is just set up so wrong requiring lines for everything!

I think that may be what caused our reaction. Having only sailed NCL the last couple years, the lines surprised me- we simply didn't experience them on NCL Away class ships. Same for drinks. Always a wait. I'm becoming a more patient person on this trip! Wait in line therapy for free!!! Also surprised by the limited 24 hour food offerings.

Yawn .... really isn't an issue for me who charges extra for what on a cruise ship. I can spend my money for restaurants at home - I don't intend to do so on a ship where my basic food needs are included.

Luckily you have the option to enjoy the complimentary included food instead, should you wish.

I have a saying I tell to new cruisers (that I talked into going on a cruise). "Never judge a cruise by embarkation day-its always ugly". Carnival provides an awesome vacation for the money. Seriously try a land vacation and you will double what you pay for a cruise (and no one cleans your room twice a day). Cruise RCI if you want shorter lines, just know that you will pay 1/3 higher USUALLY.

To set the record straight, CCL has some industry firsts:

Camp carnival- first kids program

The elation was first ship with 24 hour pizza, azipod propulsion and water slide

CCL does have the worst lines of any cruiseline

Opening day is pretty bad. To minimize it, get on board ASAP and get your lunch ( we are platinum;)).

Then go into your carryon that you brought , put on swim suit and enjoy the empty swimming pool.

Problem solved!

I have a saying I tell to new cruisers (that I talked into going on a cruise). "Never judge a cruise by embarkation day-its always ugly". Carnival provides an awesome vacation for the money. Seriously try a land vacation and you will double what you pay for a cruise (and no one cleans your room twice a day). Cruise RCI if you want shorter lines, just know that you will pay 1/3 higher USUALLY.

Land vacations are awesome, too. Why limit yourself?

So, first impressions are that Carnival staffs for lines. And then as a customer you wait or not, your choice. Eat or not, also your choice. Have a drink or not- again, your choice, depends on your threshold for waiting in line. Mine happens to be limited.

No MDR on embarkation day. So, everyone has to eat on 9 at the buffet, Guys, Pizza or the Mexican cantina. Why not have those open???

Line at Guys

2ee36800ccb7e28954f1f7a97d3bd27a.jpg

Blue Iguanas closed right next door 27279b6586951c2a3a78a01738a7204d.jpg

Deli is open with a line as far as you can see

97bc69260a12474ad60c537c893a4e9d.jpg

Half the buffet is closed

298afb9ee9c15ffddc9c2d52aaefa47c.jpg

And half the buffet is open with a line as far as you can see...a244a499b98e695079e66a7f48085066.jpg

Wait for it, the longest line yet, pizza! a724ba57328bcaf4c8be99b01c16ac39.jpg

Just wow. Your customers deserve more Carnival... no one vacations to wait in line!! My humble opinion. Charge little more and staff you facilities maybe???

WTH ship was this?

What time did the ship leave port?

"Seriously try a land vacation and you will double what you pay for a cruise (and no one cleans your room twice a day)."

not sure what land vacations you go on but, they are not twice a cruise and the room is cleaned twice a day. The A.I. on paper looks like a lot more than a cruise, but we have crunched the numbers and they are minimally more, with much better food and service.

Depending on what ship your are on, they often have "other" dining venues available; and they are very nice - especially on embarkation day. For example, on the Sunshine, they have two full venues (plus a small "snack" bar, Cuban style) at the very back of the ship, a right turn from the LIDO dining area, that are free...and NOT CROWDED - wonderful views and wonderful hot/fresh made to order food. The Breeze and other ships offer one BIG dining area up through a staircase, if not two...usually Cucins del Capitano....or some have Fish 'n Chips up there.

What ship were you on?

So, first impressions are that Carnival staffs for lines. And then as a customer you wait or not, your choice. Eat or not, also your choice. Have a drink or not- again, your choice, depends on your threshold for waiting in line. Mine happens to be limited.

No MDR on embarkation day. So, everyone has to eat on 9 at the buffet, Guys, Pizza or the Mexican cantina. Why not have those open???

Line at Guys

2ee36800ccb7e28954f1f7a97d3bd27a.jpg

Blue Iguanas closed right next door 27279b6586951c2a3a78a01738a7204d.jpg

Deli is open with a line as far as you can see

97bc69260a12474ad60c537c893a4e9d.jpg

Half the buffet is closed

298afb9ee9c15ffddc9c2d52aaefa47c.jpg

And half the buffet is open with a line as far as you can see...a244a499b98e695079e66a7f48085066.jpg

Wait for it, the longest line yet, pizza! a724ba57328bcaf4c8be99b01c16ac39.jpg

Just wow. Your customers deserve more Carnival... no one vacations to wait in line!! My humble opinion. Charge little more and staff you facilities maybe???

On that note, with MyTimeDining, better beware. We missed the first night, due to mom sleeping and us going to the LIDO; but the next night was formal night and a nightmare. The key is to hit the dining room at the right time. The first hour and last hour are best. We were told this and tested it. It worked! The ones in the middle have to wait for all those in front of them to finish dining and for tables to be reset. After our first night, we got right in. Learn to play the game.

We have never waited more than 10 minutes in line. Its all about timing.

WTH ship was this?

What time did the ship leave port?

Apparently it’s the Victory, but these pics had to be taken later in the day when they were getting ready to transition to dinner. I asked the question and made a statement back in post #24 but don’t see a response yet. I may be overlooking it.