Carnival - the cruise line of those who love to wait in line???

L1211

Never been turned away from Windjammer, just told shorter lines to go hide in. :p :rolleyes: Royal's MDR had BOTH buffet and ala carte which I wish Carnival did. Carnival charges for plenty of alternate food venues these days, the list grows every few months.

BTW, those lines in the pictures above? That's nothing compared to the Minnesota State Fair and some of the more popular food booths on days when 200,000+ people show up at the Fairgrounds. I could have a nice quick conversation with my spouse for the time it probably takes to move through that Guy's line I'm betting.

Never been turned away from Windjammer, just told shorter lines to go hide in. :p :rolleyes: Royal's MDR had BOTH buffet and ala carte which I wish Carnival did. Carnival charges for plenty of alternate food venues these days, the list grows every few months.

There are more than enough charges to go around, I can agree on that. Interesting that the poster mentioned the top two cruise lines on the list as comparable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guys gave us a burger but took away so much. I like it but it's greasy and my wife has a hard time eating it... We lost the Steak Sandwich, Chicken Sandwich, Chicken Nuggets, Hot Dog, Chili, Nachos, Cheese, and more... Would rather have all the options like Royal still has. The new Carnival chicken sandwich on the new deli menu is a JOKE! Talk about hiding, Carnival's hiding the Chicken.

CCL.jpg.a6183e884493ae45fdab9657cc27fadf.jpg

On our last two NCL cruises, the MDR was open. We loved having a relaxing lunch to start the cruise and to wait for our room. But when in Rome, er, on Carnival, we'll probably go with Guy's or the Blue Iguana Cantina or whatever is open. Not big buffet fans. We also are trying FTTF. Will likely pack what we need that first night in a carry on bag or two, bring it with us to lunch and then go to the room afterward. Looking forward to it. Thought about dropping off the light bags first but sounds like it could be nuts quickly for the food. Like to relax in the room when we first get there and those precious minutes could put us at the back of the line. lol

This. We enjoy NCL MDR lunch on embarkation day as well. Relaxing, you get waited on, doesn't take forever. Feels like vacation to me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree!!!! Sailing on the Elation in a few weeks and looking forward to a cruise where there just aren't sooo many people.

However, the best place to avoid lines for food on the Dream class ships is the Tandoori!! Never a line and some of the best food you will have on a cruise. Truly wish this was on all the ships.

Question, first time carnival cruiser (since the 80's!). Isn't victory one of their small ships? Thanks!

Question, first time carnival cruiser (since the 80's!). Isn't victory one of their small ships? Thanks!

Middle of the road actually. All of Fantasy class and Spirit class are technically smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took our first Disney theme park vacation last October with some good friends who are extreme Disney fans. For them, the vacation was “magical”. For us, not so much. It felt like we spent five days standing in line for 30-60 minutes at a time to enjoy 3 minutes of fun, intertwined with breaks walking from one place to the other and looking for a place to take cover from the blistering heat. Even catching our transportation back to the hotel at the end of the day, the wait seemed like an eternity with tired, cranky kids on the verge of tears aboard a packed monorail with sweaty people. My wife would repeatedly lean over and whisper in my ear “NEVER again!” [emoji23]

But like with cruising, I guess the secret is to come up with a plan to minimize how much time one spends standing in line. And not try to pack the day from sunrise to sundown with activities. If we ever go back to the Disney parks, we will do it in a different way. But after our first experience, it will probably be years before we do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People have written books on the subject of how to best get around WDW. I've done it, it can be done, but even with that, expect 30 minute lines sometimes. But you have to come with those expectations or you will get annoyed. I think the OP is comparing this experience with other cruise lines. That's all. I've been on RCCL and NCL and have waited on lines for both. The last cruise we took on the Anthem of the Seas, we waited online for more than an hour for a tshirt sale where they had two small stations opened and it was so bad they limited the number of people who could go to the stations at a time. No matter HOW big the ships are, there are going to be lines. On the OPs ship, there were limited places to eat apparently. So, with that, you have to expect there will be lines. I'm the person who can't wait to get on the ship. That's when my vacation begins. I wonder how things will be on the new Horizon. That's our next cruise in June.

I do think Guy's are the best burgers at sea and some of the best I've ever had to be honest. The tacos and arepas are also amazing (though the burritos not so much). All that said, I do think there were some cutbacks that came with the licensing and (most likely) added food costs from upgraded ingredients and staff associated with these offerings. I miss more robust buffets late night. I don't know if other lines have done away with them too or not.

Do you visit your local Johnny Rockets while on land and expect not having to pay additional for lunch or dinner?

That Johnny Rockets is not the one on a cruise ship where one expects most food to be included except for upscale specialty restaurants - not burgers. Just sayin ....

Drinks will come first when we board Vista in May, however I do know where we are heading to eat a close second and it's not Lido!

If you think the way i do you will be at Guys Barbeque.! seem like very few people find it the first day.

Oopps guess i spilled the beans.!

Ever been to a Theme Park? Just sayin........

Certainly wasn't the case in 2011, when we sailed the Victory. I can tell you that if half the rides at a Theme Park were shut down, including the newest attraction, a doubling of line size would lead to valid complaints.

That Johnny Rockets is not the one on a cruise ship where one expects most food to be included except for upscale specialty restaurants - not burgers. Just sayin ....

Just like NCL’s Margaritaville, these land based concepts at sea are heavily promoted with all promotional material advising guests of the surcharges. They have free burgers in the Windjammer so why should one expect Johnny Rockets, a specialty but non-upscale restaurant, to be included? When on Princess, I don’t expect them to give me an Ernesto Burger gratis even though it’s served at the regular poolside grill.

I wasn't hungry or looking for food. I simply find them offensive for their brand. I think paying customers deserve better.

That line bothered me. If you weren't hungry or looking for food, why did it bother you. That's like saying the pools were crowded but I don't swim in them or I couldn't get into the comedy club because of the crowds but I didn't want to go in there anyway. Kind of looks like you were trying to hard to compare Carnival with NCL.

Bottlenecks are bound to happen when buffalo stampede.

We eat breakfast before leaving for the dock, board, have 2 or 3 drinks after boarding and never had long lines. Some folks have probably eaten 3 on the ship times before the muster drill. I guess I'd rather they were lined up at Guys than at the bar I am trying to get a drink from.

Lineups at alternative venues also speak to how crappy the buffet has gotten (I like Carnival and the Pride, but buffet sucks). Last time on the Pride there were lineups at the Deli and Pizza an none at the buffet, on the night we witnessed it, folks would rather eat at the deli than the luke-warm, bland buffet food that was being offered.

Carnival does seem to be adding new pay venues to their newer ships, but the 'included' venues seem to all remain and they have added additional 'included' venues, so there are plenty of options if you don't want to pay for food.

When looking at other cruise lines debating about whether or not to try them the thing I have noticed is the incredible number of pay venues they have versus 'included' venues. A few specific ships I have looked at it almost seems as though if you want to eat anything other than in the MDR you are going to have to pay. It's actually one of the things that has had me hesitant about trying new lines out. I'm sure the food is good but if I am going to pay for food on a cruise, it's going to be a special treat and not a quick meal.

Every line I have been in on Carnival has moved quickly, I've never had an issue peeking to see what is on the buffet before I get in line, and the only line that seems to move slowly is the pizza line. However, when they are busy they are practically cooking pizzas to order and can only cook so many at a time. The pizza is good though, free and worth waiting for.

Carnival does seem to be adding new pay venues to their newer ships, but the 'included' venues seem to all remain and they have added additional 'included' venues, so there are plenty of options if you don't want to pay for food.

When looking at other cruise lines debating about whether or not to try them the thing I have noticed is the incredible number of pay venues they have versus 'included' venues. A few specific ships I have looked at it almost seems as though if you want to eat anything other than in the MDR you are going to have to pay. It's actually one of the things that has had me hesitant about trying new lines out. I'm sure the food is good but if I am going to pay for food on a cruise, it's going to be a special treat and not a quick meal.

Every line I have been in on Carnival has moved quickly, I've never had an issue peeking to see what is on the buffet before I get in line, and the only line that seems to move slowly is the pizza line. However, when they are busy they are practically cooking pizzas to order and can only cook so many at a time. The pizza is good though, free and worth waiting for.

One thing I like about Oasis is the variety of complimentary venues (9 different spots spread out all over the ship) but also plenty of premium upcharge dining too. On NCL Escape, it was basically buffet, dining room, or pay (O Sheehans is a sit down/waiter dining room type venue).

Carnival does a great job with the grab/go complimentary venues, to their credit but since it's all at the same place, it still just kind of feels like an extension of the buffet other than maybe the BBQ on the waterfront promenade. I wish Carnival would spread things out a little more.

Carnival's pizza is well worth the wait, I'd agree with that!

Just like NCL’s Margaritaville, these land based concepts at sea are heavily promoted with all promotional material advising guests of the surcharges. They have free burgers in the Windjammer so why should one expect Johnny Rockets, a specialty but non-upscale restaurant, to be included? When on Princess, I don’t expect them to give me an Ernesto Burger gratis even though it’s served at the regular poolside grill.

Exactly. Oasis has several grab n go complimentary venues. Windjammer and Wipeout, off the top of the my head, both have burgers. And they have a great complimentary hot dog venue on the boardwalk right next to Johnny Rockets. I would never expect JR to be complimentary, it would never work. The lines and waits would be insane. Look at the lines for Guys... now imagine if Guys was a sit down venue with waiters!

I do think $9.95 is a tad steep for JR though if you wanted to go with more than 2 people (notably a family with kids at $9.95/ea). But if just me and my wife, $20 is more than reasonable.

Carnival's pizza is well worth the wait, I'd agree with that!

OP here, I have to correct myself. I said I wouldn't wait in these lines, and yet... girls wanted pizza about 12:20 last night. The entire process, waiting in line, ordering and baking took 35 minutes. The pizza was outstanding! But really Carnival, doesn't there have to be a better way? Maybe pre-baked slices for this who just want grab and go versus customizing their own? Wouldn't that take a ton of pressure off the bake to order line? Maybe an Ipad order system so you can order then sit and wait in the are and have a drink versus just standing in line? I think a little innovation would totally solve for the customer experience. We're on vacation!

Yawn .... really isn't an issue for me who charges extra for what on a cruise ship. I can spend my money for restaurants at home - I don't intend to do so on a ship where my basic food needs are included.

I will add one compliment that's taking the pressure off the breakfast buffet on the Victory. They have a quick breakfast station with eggs, bacon, potatoes, oatmeal, all hot food out in the center. Would make for a quick hot breakfast! Now, if you want an omelet, totally different story. Likely 20 plus minutes in line.