Carnival - the cruise line of those who love to wait in line???

L1211

I don't mind waiting; but what I didn't like with the SUNSHINE (until we decided to go at 5p every day) is that the buzzers don't work all over the ship. You literally have to stay right there in the ocean plaza...trapped. On the BREEZE, they gave us buzzers that worked all over the ship. We could actually go back to our balcony and relax until "buzzed". That's perfectly fine to me. :cool:

"Trapped" in the Ocean Plaza on the Sunshine? It didn't seem too awful to me that folks had cushioned seats in a area with a Alchemy Bar and the Red Frog Pub. With a wait of less than 30 minutes it hardly seems worth it to go all the way back to the cabin. Another advantage is that while one person waits in line for a buzzer the rest can sit and relax in the comfortable seating.:rolleyes:

"Trapped" in the Ocean Plaza on the Sunshine? It didn't seem too awful to me that folks had cushioned seats in a area with a Alchemy Bar and the Red Frog Pub. With a wait of less than 30 minutes it hardly seems worth it to go all the way back to the cabin. Another advantage is that while one person waits in line for a buzzer the rest can sit and relax in the comfortable seating.:rolleyes:

That's the beauty of NCL's freestyle atmosphere, nobody would judge what another passenger chose to do, with 30 minutes of spare time. I personally think that's it's healthy to get up and move around, but to each their own.

The only long lines I've seen are all the people waiting to go through Customs at the end of the cruise. We always get a porter to take our luggage right to our car at Valet Parking. There is a special line for porters and at most there are only a couple of passengers in front of us. On embarkation day, we usually board about 11:15am (Platinums), I go to the Lido buffet and find a table while DH takes our carry on suitcase to our cabin and then he joins me at the buffet. There seems to be a lot of people in there, but not in the buffet lines. DH gets us sandwiches at the Deli and he's back at the table within 5-8 minutes, we go through the salad bar, and are eating lunch right then.

On the Breeze now, the are woefully understaffed, hence lines. They can plan staffing to reduce lines. They don’t. Agree that no one goes on vacation to consistently wait in lines that are unreasonably long. Definitely a staffing issue.

On the Breeze now, the are woefully understaffed, hence lines. They can plan staffing to reduce lines. They don’t. Agree that no one goes on vacation to consistently wait in lines that are unreasonably long. Definitely a staffing issue.

Understaffed in what way?? Buffet is irrelevant as long as food is out there..... Blue Iguana and Red Frog bar should have 2 bartenders.... Guys and the Mex food I'm sure are staffed as usual. 1st day crowds everyone funnels up to Lido...always happens. I see this is your 1st Carnival cruise...get familar with the ship....more options

OP here, I have to correct myself. I said I wouldn't wait in these lines, and yet... girls wanted pizza about 12:20 last night. The entire process, waiting in line, ordering and baking took 35 minutes. The pizza was outstanding! But really Carnival, doesn't there have to be a better way? Maybe pre-baked slices for this who just want grab and go versus customizing their own? Wouldn't that take a ton of pressure off the bake to order line? Maybe an Ipad order system so you can order then sit and wait in the are and have a drink versus just standing in line? I think a little innovation would totally solve for the customer experience. We're on vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be much better

i agree with you! this is ridiculous!

Carnival needs to plan a little more for the crowd that they are well aware is going to be boarding. Yes, i can zig when people zag, but i do have lunch onboard on embarkation day, and should be able to do so as i have paid for this meal already. I love Carnival, but this is the problem: There are some of you who will take up for anything and everything that Carnival does. Ridiculous. I value my time and my money more than that. No, im not entitled, but i do expect that you can have a little better service than this. Just WOW.

i agree with you! this is ridiculous!

Carnival needs to plan a little more for the crowd that they are well aware is going to be boarding. Yes, i can zig when people zag, but i do have lunch onboard on embarkation day, and should be able to do so as i have paid for this meal already. I love Carnival, but this is the problem: There are some of you who will take up for anything and everything that Carnival does. Ridiculous. I value my time and my money more than that. No, im not entitled, but i do expect that you can have a little better service than this. Just WOW.

All of the food venues are open with the exception of the MDR on embarkation day. Up until 3:15pm Blue Iguana is also open. The buffet starts transitioning to dinner then as well. Most people would have been onboard for at least a couple hours already and should haven eaten from when this picture was taken at 4:30pm after sail away. Lunch was over.

It’s not like there was no food at all to eat if you didn’t get something before then, can’t wait for dinner, or want to eat another meal after already eating lunch and need something else before dinner.

There are some of you who will take up for anything and everything that Carnival does. Ridiculous.

I think it has to do with feelings of inadequacy and cruise line envy. And that lame #carnivalfamily slogan that the BA tried to ignite a while back. They are not family, anymore than they are family with the surly, broken spirited clerks at the DMV, but some won't understand that. With that said, I think Carnival has positioned itself for longevity and fiscal soundness, so share holders should be happy.

I think it has to do with feelings of inadequacy and cruise line envy. And that lame #carnivalfamily slogan that the BA tried to ignite a while back. They are not family, anymore than they are family with the surly, broken spirited clerks at the DMV, but some won't understand that. With that said, I think Carnival has positioned itself for longevity and fiscal soundness, so share holders should be happy.

That “lame” CarnivalFamily hashtag “the BA tried to ignite a while back” was actually a marketing scam perpetrated by a lone individual that Carnival and JH turned into positive PR.

But, hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story, right?

That “lame” CarnivalFamily hashtag “the BA tried to ignite a while back” was actually a marketing scam perpetrated by a lone individual that Carnival and JH turned into positive PR.

But, hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story, right?

Why so defensive? You may be one of the ones I was alluding to in my "good story". :'):'):')

Always Choose Fun.

Why so defensive? You may be one of the ones I was alluding to in my "good story". :'):'):')

Oops. You got me. My inadequacy consumes me and the only thing that takes the edge off is sticking up for Carnival. I’ve been found out!

I was on Breeze last week and I didn’t experience anything like that. I never ate in the buffet so I can’t speak to that. Got to the MDR right when they started YTD. Line was only long once and they moved it fast by having someone walk the line assigning tables with a mobile device. Was usually out by 7pm. First ship I’ve been on where the coffee shop had 3 workers. That always moved fast. Always got a table immediately at the Italian place. Only ate guys once. No line. Ate blue iguana twice. Had 1-2 people in front of me. The only long waits (more than 5 mins) were the deli just before closing and the pizza place late at night. And they always had 2 people working the deli and 2-3 working pizza.

Edited by Saint Greg

I was in no way intending to be misleading. I'm a first time carnival cruiser and was only reporting what I experienced. We waited 35 minutes for a fabulous pizza, gave up most morning for the coffee house coffee and opted for the Buffet free coffee due to lines. Only tried he Buffet once, no lines but cold food. Did the deli once, 17 minutes for a really good sandwich from a delightful team member named Ruben. We had a fantastic time and I'd cruise the Victory again in a heartbeat. Just sharing what we experienced and it surprised me. No, it was not always that way, for sure, but much longer lines than we experienced on NCL. It just seems to be part of the experience with so many free venues in my humble opinion.

They go thru Pizza like hot cakes....When I was on Vista I watched the process.... The 2 Carnival employees busted their butt...Onc made the Pizzas with various topping.... the other placed in oven, monitored their baking, pulled the Pizza out of oven , then cut and served passengers. He put in 8 Pizza's at a time. takes about 5-7 minutes to cook a Pizza. Sadly some people took whole pizza's (4 slice worth).... So if your in line it doesn't move real fast if people are taking full Pizza vs just a slice or 2. The line has been a problem on every Carnival ship I've sailed on going back to the 90's. Sometimes you hit it right and get a slice immediately... Other days such as Port afternoons and evenings/nights....in great demand.

I will say this...you’re cruising out of Texas the week Texas and Louisiana are on spring break. You probably have an extra 1,000 kids that were not on the ship last week.

I bet they don't address the pizza lines because they want to make it harder to get pizza. At night people get drunk, tired, and are just looking for a snack. I bet more pizza would be wasted if it was easier to get. If you can just grab it at your leisure, more people would. When there is a line, you second guess it.

I bet they don't address the pizza lines because they want to make it harder to get pizza. At night people get drunk, tired, and are just looking for a snack. I bet more pizza would be wasted if it was easier to get. If you can just grab it at your leisure, more people would. When there is a line, you second guess it.

They’d put pizza under heat lamps on the breeze. Few people wanted pizza that had been sitting around though. People wanted fresh pizza out of the oven and were willing to wait for it.

I'm surprised by all the people saying they've never seen lines like this on Carnival. I love Carnival and have been on 10 cruises but there are always lines like this on embarkation day and frankly lots of other times too. I have never waited less than 20 minutes in line to get pizza. Deli and Guys almost always have lines, any time of day any day of the week. The buffet lines can also get long and have waited up to 20 minutes there as well.

They go thru Pizza like hot cakes....When I was on Vista I watched the process.... The 2 Carnival employees busted their butt...Onc made the Pizzas with various topping.... the other placed in oven, monitored their baking, pulled the Pizza out of oven , then cut and served passengers. He put in 8 Pizza's at a time. takes about 5-7 minutes to cook a Pizza. Sadly some people took whole pizza's (4 slice worth).... So if your in line it doesn't move real fast if people are taking full Pizza vs just a slice or 2. The line has been a problem on every Carnival ship I've sailed on going back to the 90's. Sometimes you hit it right and get a slice immediately... Other days such as Port afternoons and evenings/nights....in great demand.

That is the issue - the 2 employees. There are always long lines. Why are there only 2 people working in there??? Sometimes there is only one. They need at least 4 or 5 to handle the number of people ordering.

LOL...... Some how people demand things just because... I always wonder why people don't rent a yacht....

Everyone spend their money just like you.... Take a # and wait....

That is not good customer service! Please send the pics directly to Carnival and JH.

This is a good belly laugh.... JH?? Like he will make it better.....

Well he is the senior cruise director, kinda his job.

That is the issue - the 2 employees. There are always long lines. Why are there only 2 people working in there??? Sometimes there is only one. They need at least 4 or 5 to handle the number of people ordering.

Only so many ovens.... They have 2 ovens..... These guys were good....there was no lag time.

"Seriously try a land vacation and you will double what you pay for a cruise (and no one cleans your room twice a day)."

not sure what land vacations you go on but, they are not twice a cruise and the room is cleaned twice a day. The A.I. on paper looks like a lot more than a cruise, but we have crunched the numbers and they are minimally more, with much better food and service.

An all inclusive costs me less than half what a cruise does, in part because we have to fly in. I can go to a 4-5 star in Dominican, Mexico or Cuba for $1000 pp all inclusive for 7 days. There are no cruises available that include everything for near that, then transportation on top. For my upcoming 4 night cruise between airfare, hotel the night before (important to fly in the day before) the cruise itself including port fees, gratuities and cheers is $3800 CAD.

I still choose cruising over the all inclusive but it is not inexpensive, that's for sure.

An all inclusive costs me less than half what a cruise does, in part because we have to fly in. I can go to a 4-5 star in Dominican, Mexico or Cuba for $1000 pp all inclusive for 7 days. There are no cruises available that include everything for near that, then transportation on top. For my upcoming 4 night cruise between airfare, hotel the night before (important to fly in the day before) the cruise itself including port fees, gratuities and cheers is $3800 CAD.

I still choose cruising over the all inclusive but it is not inexpensive, that's for sure.

That seems high for just a 4 dayer??? I realize its Canadien dollar....Whats that in US$?