Lanai doors left open

SetAnOpenCourse

People who take pleasure and say others "deserve" misfortune for leaving a sliding door open are out of line. That's poor spirit for this forum. Why would anyone take pleasure in misfortune of another? Maybe just how I was raised.

Those who leave verandah doors open apparently feel those on their same HACV circuit deserve to be made uncomfortable, for their own personal benefit. This works both ways.

I agree with Ruth, those who demonstrate selfish disregard for their fellow passengers in this closed system operation called a cruise ship, do deserve what they get in return. They are the ones who set this bad karma in motion. It is only appropriate it comes back around and makes them a victim too.

Most people understand that going without air circulation in their cabin because selfish people insist on keeping their door open is a lot more than a "minor inconvenience".

To argue with someone who can't comprehend that is an exercise in futility.

I have no problem comprehending. That was condescending. I hope your day improves, remember, being nice doesn’t cost extra.

Did anyone post a photo of the sign in the room?

I have no problem comprehending. That was condescending. I hope your day improves, remember, being nice doesn’t cost extra.

I hope your day improves too.

If one looks up "facts" about HAL" and searches photos for lanai cabins, one sees what looks like it could be the standard warning sign, but only in the lanai cabin photos taken after 2015. I could not read the sign in these passenger provided photos, but the shape and location of the sign look similar to the same warning posted on verandah cabin doors.

The automatically closing lanai cabin door that requires a foreign object to keep the door open is a non-verbal clue they were intended to be kept shut, except when going in and out of the cabin. Contrary to their marketing photos which send the opposite message. Work in progress obviously to get this message out for the mutual comfort of all connecting passengers. Who may not even be on the same deck, but are interconnected in their connecting ventilation systems.

You mean the sign on the door asking you not to leave them open? The ones that are on EVERY door that goes to outside??

No need to post that. Enough of us have seen them.

I posted earlier in this thread, that there are people who think only of themselves and do not think the rules apply to them..... they do what they wish for their own benefit. I do not regret posting it because nothing written here has changed my mind.

I posted earlier in this thread, that there are people who think only of themselves and do not think the rules apply to them..... they do what they wish for their own benefit. I do not regret posting it because nothing written here has changed my mind.

There was a key difference.

Where should the sign normally be? Lanai.jpg

This looks like one of the HAL marketing photos - doors wide open too. chengkp had addressed that in a prior post.

You need to view the passenger photos on the other HAL website for the Facts (hint hint). Look at the lanai cabin post 2015 photos and you will start seeing in the upper middle section of the door by the frame the addition of an opaque rectangular sign that does not show up in the pre 2015 photos of the lanai cabin doors - this size, shape and location of this opaque looking patch looks very much like the signs I have seen on or near other regular verandah doors.

You will not be able to confirm this is the sign you apparently demanding to see since they cannot be read, and who knows maybe I am totally wrong about this even being the notice sign. Wouldn't that be great to find out too? It looks from the size of the curtains that any sign by the door would not be seen, which is why I surmised that opaque sign on the glass door itself might just be this warning notice.

The posted verandah cabin notice to me is not particularly strong - it only says you need to keep the doors closed for maximum ventilation efficiency -- or something like that. It makes no mention of what not closing the door does to other cabin circulation systems.

Now do you want to share what your own investment is keeping your lanai door open, after learning from chengkp's explanation about the interconnection of HACV systems that are compromised when those doors are forced open.

Additionally, the automatic closure feature perhaps was intended to be message enough, until passengers started forcing the open with various devices..... including the alleged broom handles offered by ship staff, who probably were annoyed passengers were continuing to use the cabin waste baskets and gave up. Let's hope the next lanai passenger comes back with the specific photo you are still demanding.

Meanwhile, honor the comfort of your fellow passengers and keep all balcony or lanai doors closed unless you are using them for exit or egress.

This looks like one of the HAL marketing photos - doors wide open too. chengkp had addressed that in a prior post.

You need to view the passenger photos on the other HAL website for the Facts (hint hint). Look at the lanai cabin post 2015 photos and you will start seeing in the upper middle section of the door by the frame the addition of an opaque rectangular sign that does not show up in the pre 2015 photos of the lanai cabin doors - this size, shape and location of this opaque looking patch looks very much like the signs I have seen on or near other regular verandah doors.

You will not be able to confirm this is the sign you apparently demanding to see since they cannot be read, and who knows maybe I am totally wrong about this even being the notice sign. Wouldn't that be great to find out too? It looks from the size of the curtains that any sign by the door would not be seen, which is why I surmised that opaque sign on the glass door itself might just be this warning notice.

The posted verandah cabin notice to me is not particularly strong - it only says you need to keep the doors closed for maximum ventilation efficiency -- or something like that. It makes no mention of what not closing the door does to other cabin circulation systems.

Now do you want to share what your own investment is keeping your lanai door open, after learning from chengkp's explanation about the interconnection of HACV systems that are compromised when those doors are forced open.

Additionally, the automatic closure feature perhaps was intended to be message enough, until passengers started forcing the open with various devices..... including the alleged broom handles offered by ship staff, who probably were annoyed passengers were continuing to use the cabin waste baskets and gave up. Let's hope the next lanai passenger comes back with the specific photo you are still demanding.

Meanwhile, honor the comfort of your fellow passengers and keep all balcony or lanai doors closed unless you are using them for exit or egress.

I asked a simple question. No demands. Why did you respond with such hostility?

On a much earlier Rotterdam cruise we noticed how creative lanai passengers got trying to force their doors open. They used waste baskets, beer cans and coat-hangers.

?

Probably because it is the only way they can get back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably because it is the only way they can get back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, they don't need to leave the door open to get back in. They get a special key to get in through the outside door.

Our roll call members demonstrated it on our cabin crawl. ;)

No, they don't need to leave the door open to get back in. They get a special key to get in through the outside door.

Our roll call members demonstrated it on our cabin crawl. ;)

Our special key worked about 10 percent of the time.

We did close our door when we were sitting outside almost all of the way but did not give it the final push to lock it. The doors are very heavy and take some force to fully close.

OlsSalt I have no clue who you are but you seem to have some sort of “problem” with me. Actually you seem to have problems with quite a few people on this forum for no apparent reason. This is an open forum and people should not be denigrated for asking a simple question.

Thanks Jade13 for providing a one line answer to a one line question.

I imagine that the reason people leave their Lanai doors open is because they are addicted to Ocean Air and would like to have their cake and eat it too, by watching TV... while the Lanai door is open. I too am addicted to Ocean Air and it is the reason I cruise, but I certainly wouldn't want to waste a huge amount of electricity, driving my cruise rates higher and higher.

If the outside temperature is around 70 to 75 and the AC or Heat is not being triggered to come on I would have not problem with seeing open Lanai doors.

Lots of angry-sounding or perhaps just defensive posts on this thread??

We cruised the older HAL ships before they came up with the money making idea of putting sliding doors on the promenade deck cabins and calling them "Lanai".

My personal opinion is that I would never book one of these cabins just to watch hundreds of people walk by and see them wishing for the old days when they could actually sit on YOUR chairs outside YOUR cabin. Our first HAL promenade deck cabin was on the Maasdam before the Lanai conversions and I never booked that deck again on 8 other cruises because of the picture window atmosphere.

I imagine that the reason people leave their Lanai doors open is because they are addicted to Ocean Air and would like to have their cake and eat it too, by watching TV... while the Lanai door is open. I too am addicted to Ocean Air and it is the reason I cruise, but I certainly wouldn't want to waste a huge amount of electricity, driving my cruise rates higher and higher.

If the outside temperature is around 70 to 75 and the AC or Heat is not being triggered to come on I would have not problem with seeing open Lanai doors.

Again, you have no control over the temperature or supply of the fresh air supply portion of your cabin AC. So, while you may have your cabin thermostat turned up to 90 (there won't be any heat coming), which will turn off the recirculation AC in your cabin, there will always be 55-60*F air being supplied to your cabin.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, and have posted numerous times regarding leaving balcony doors open, when you open your balcony or lanai door, you lower the pressure in your cabin to outside atmospheric. The fresh air supply is designed to keep a slight positive pressure in your cabin so smoke doesn't enter the cabin in a fire. Now, when the pressure in your cabin drops, this causes the fresh air supply to all rush to your cabin, trying to build the pressure back up. This starves all the 30-50 other cabins in your fire zone on your deck, which all share the common fresh air supply, to not receive this air, and they will start to draw slightly warmer air back from the passageways and get warmer and warmer. So, it is to the benefit of your neighbors to keep the balcony/lanai door closed, even when you don't think the AC is on.

... when you open your balcony or lanai door, you lower the pressure in your cabin to outside atmospheric. The fresh air supply is designed to keep a slight positive pressure in your cabin so smoke doesn't enter the cabin in a fire. Now, when the pressure in your cabin drops, this causes the fresh air supply to all rush to your cabin, trying to build the pressure back up. This starves all the 30-50 other cabins in your fire zone on your deck, which all share the common fresh air supply, to not receive this air, and they will start to draw slightly warmer air back from the passageways and get warmer and warmer. So, it is to the benefit of your neighbors to keep the balcony/lanai door closed, even when you don't think the AC is on.

Thank you for repeating this vital information, again.

It is a great deal more than a 'minor inconvenience' to those in inside cabins across the passageway from the lanai cabin with the door open for longer it takes than to pass through it. Their air gets hotter and hotter the longer that door is open.

Our special key worked about 10 percent of the time.

We did close our door when we were sitting outside almost all of the way but did not give it the final push to lock it. The doors are very heavy and take some force to fully close.

Sounds like you were conscientious as regards the lanai door. Just wondering, did you report the malfunction of the card/lock to the front desk?

Sounds like you were conscientious as regards the lanai door. Just wondering, did you report the malfunction of the card/lock to the front desk?

I don’t think I did. We were one cabin away from the outside doors so we just used it when we were going to walk on the promenade. I did complain to the the front desk about the chairs not having a reserved sign on them. They put a small reserved sign on our chairs that evening. I noticed all of the Lanai chairs were tagged by the last night of the cruise.

We did enjoy the Lanai stateroom but doubt we would book one again.

We just did not use the chairs enough to justify the price difference from a regular outside.