Guilty conscience about accessible room

alyssazoll

First, regardless of the extent of my disability or what I may need in terms of special accomodations, I still consider myself a normal person. ;)

I still believe it is inconsiderate that there are times I can't travel when I would like to because able-bodied folks may have booked already-limited accessible accommodations. I don't like inconveniencing people and there have been several times when family and friends have had to rearrange travel plans multiple times because I couldn't obtain accessible accommodations on the dates that worked for them. I also still work so I have to consider work commitments when I pick my travel dates, which also limits my options. Sounds like you can easily choose alternate dates - that's great for you, but not everyone has as flexible a schedule.

I think the bottom line is that if you are satisfied with the way things are, that is awesome. However, you may want to consider that not everyone has adapted as well as you have, and you can't assume what works for you is an option for everyone.

Good answer.

And to add, I am talking about a friend who cannot walk more than one step, good day or bad day. She cannot go to the bathroom without a support bar and plenty of room. She cannot shower in a "regular" shower. That is who I am talking about, not someone who has some good days and some bad.

I'd like to see NCL make it a little more difficult for able-bodied people to book these cabins. The first time I booked online I almost booked one myself -- saw a big cabin was available, got excited!, and if I hadn't taken the time to ask myself why it was so big, I wouldn't have realized it was an accessible cabin, and I would have unintentionally booked an accessible cabin (I'd never do that intentionally).

Maybe NCL could:

Mark accessible cabins with the accessibility symbol on the deck plans (or next to the cabin number on the list when in the online booking process.

And two: When someone goes to book an accessible cabin, perhaps a box could pop up that requires you to check "Someone in this cabin has mobility issues and requires an accessible cabin".

I think that could put a stop to people who unintentionally book them, and maybe would give pause to someone who knows full well that it's an accessible cabin, but books it anyway.

Of course, if no person with a disability requires the cabin, then anyone should be free to book it. Maybe another box in that case like "I do not have a mobility issue but would like this cabin if it is not required by a person with a disability"? I dunno, something like that?

• Like 1

I'd like to see NCL make it a little more difficult for able-bodied people to book these cabins. The first time I booked online I almost booked one myself -- saw a big cabin was available, got excited!, and if I hadn't taken the time to ask myself why it was so big, I wouldn't have realized it was an accessible cabin, and I would have unintentionally booked an accessible cabin (I'd never do that intentionally).

Maybe NCL could:

Mark accessible cabins with the accessibility symbol on the deck plans (or next to the cabin number on the list when in the online booking process.

And two: When someone goes to book an accessible cabin, perhaps a box could pop up that requires you to check "Someone in this cabin has mobility issues and requires an accessible cabin".

I think that could put a stop to people who unintentionally book them, and maybe would give pause to someone who knows full well that it's an accessible cabin, but books it anyway.

Of course, if no person with a disability requires the cabin, then anyone should be free to book it. Maybe another box in that case like "I do not have a mobility issue but would like this cabin if it is not required by a person with a disability"? I dunno, something like that?

deck plans do have h/c key symbol

The OP's boyfriend unknowingly booked a HC stateroom.

The OP called NCL and moved to a non-HC stateroom.

Neither the OP nor the boyfriend should feel guilty. It was an honest mistake and was corrected. Happy ending. (y)

And the OP was a new cruiser, they made a rookie mistake and weren’t aware it was so easy to rectify.

I think the best advice to those needing assessable cabins is to book early so that you are ensured the cabin you require.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the best advice to those needing assessable cabins is to book early so that you are ensured the cabin you require.

Not always possible to book a year or more in advance (especially when health issues dictate when you are medically cleared to travel.) So, it's a catch-22 for alot of folks.

• Like 1

Booking a year in advance is how many book with refundable deposits. It’s hard to know for anyone what life will look like a year out, but it’s always fun and inspirational to have something nice to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I had the same moral guilt originally.  I’ve sailed with another cruise line 15+ times, but am doing my first NCL cruise in April on the Joy. 

I had booked the BF GTY category about 2 months ago.  Within days of booking I was assigned an ‘upgraded’ room in the BD category. When I looked up the room, I realized it was an accessible cabin.  
Right away I contacted NCL to inquire, as I didn’t want to take an accessible room from someone who needs it.  
The agent advised me that they do not need that room which is why it was assigned to us, I asked if there was a non-accessible room we could switch to and was told that was not an option and began to ‘promote’ the benefits of the room to make me feel better about it.... it’s much larger, has a larger balcony, and the room location is ideal.      

In my opinion, I’ve done my due diligence in regards to this, and NCL has made it clear I should enjoy the larger room.  

Edited by flyboy88

9 hours ago, flyboy88 said:

I had the same moral guilt originally.  I’ve sailed with another cruise line 15+ times, but am doing my first NCL cruise in April on the Joy. 

I had booked the BF GTY category about 2 months ago.  Within days of booking I was assigned an ‘upgraded’ room in the BD category. When I looked up the room, I realized it was an accessible cabin.  
Right away I contacted NCL to inquire, as I didn’t want to take an accessible room from someone who needs it.  
The agent advised me that they do not need that room which is why it was assigned to us, I asked if there was a non-accessible room we could switch to and was told that was not an option and began to ‘promote’ the benefits of the room to make me feel better about it.... it’s much larger, has a larger balcony, and the room location is ideal.      

In my opinion, I’ve done my due diligence in regards to this, and NCL has made it clear I should enjoy the larger room.  

For the love of all things cruising...... you resurrected a 2 year old thread with 107 posts for what point???   Post #1 and Post #108 are not remotely the same. 

On 2/17/2020 at 8:27 AM, esm54687 said:

For the love of all things cruising...... you resurrected a 2 year old thread with 107 posts for what point???   Post #1 and Post #108 are not remotely the same. 

thanks; my thoughts as well. Nice he is considerate but I am sure, especially being a GTY cabin if they end up needing the cabin they will notify him. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 6:44 AM, C cruise said:

How would NCL know that they aren't handicapped themselves? Why would they ask them to switch rooms? and when it comes time to bid for upgrades, might they not get the offer because there are only so many accessible rooms?

Most people who would booked in a handicapped   would be honest enough to let the representative know they were not handicapped. That is when the decision would be made as to whether to request a cabin change or for the rep to ask if they would mind changing cabins? I think it is important to realize this happens very rarely, so we are not talking about relocating dozens of passengers every sailing or even two or three every sailing 

• 2 years later...

You should feel guilty. Be thankful that you don't need a handicap room!!! I have tried to book a cruise for my family member (who is disabled due to a car accident) and there were no available rooms.... He has not been able to take a vacation... Unless you have been in that situation - you Don't understand.... It is NOT A LUXURY - TO HAVE THAT EXTRA ROOM - IT IS A NESSESITY!!!! Enjoy your cruise - take ONLY WHAT YOU NEED IN LIFE 😁