Guilty conscience about accessible room

alyssazoll

Another note is that once an accessible room is booked, an email that goes out with a form from the NCL Access Department that needs to be completed with details about the disability, special needs, etc. I am not sure how able-bodied folks reply to this email and request for information - perhaps they just ignore it? Also, when booked in an accessible cabin, the onboard Access Officer does occasionally check in on me to make sure everything is ok and going well.

40865449121_84cc791849.jpg

40157053984_3b93c67637.jpg

40865449041_5cfccdb35f.jpg

40157053794_34ea0dabb7.jpg

Another note is that once an accessible room is booked, an email that goes out with a form from the NCL Access Department that needs to be completed with details about the disability, special needs, etc. I am not sure how able-bodied folks reply to this email and request for information - perhaps they just ignore it? Also, when booked in an accessible cabin, the onboard Access Officer does occasionally check in on me to make sure everything is ok and going well.
I think this only applies to cabins that have been held for people with disabilities at the time of booking. However, NCL wants to sail all of their ships completely full so at a certain point (and I'm not certain exactly when that is, they release the accessible rooms and people like the OP might book the room without even knowing it was accessible). Once NCL decides to release or assign accessible rooms to GTY bookings, they would not require the people who book them to have a disability or to fill out any forms. That form exists because there are terrible people who would knowingly take an accessible room for more space during the timeframe when it should be held so people with disabilities can get priority for booking it, and NCL is hoping to kick those people out of the rooms so people with disabilities have a chance to sail.

I'm the poster who explained to our neighbors and our steward that we had not chosen this cabin ourselves, but it was assigned to us as a guarantee. I would never book a cabin that someone with a physical handicap might need, just as I would never park in a handicapped spot, and I just wanted to tell them that this cabin had not been my choice.

Soooo. My boyfriend surprised me by booking us a cruise on Bliss in January. I am an excessive planner, and especially so with a new ship. I was looking at deck plans and he booked an accessible aft balcony. I asked if he realized the cabin he picked, he said no and that he didn’t look at the deck plan legend/key (surprising [emoji23]). I recommend he call NCL and see what their policy is on this. But, he says that during the booking process handicap verification never came up, and it’s not listed anywhere on the confirmation. He says that he booked it for the bigger room and balcony space.

The other post I was able to find was about people getting upgraded or assigned via guaranteed rates. Will NCL change our room if needed or do I need to call and make the switch?

Your lucky to find an AFT. Balcony on a New ship at all.

The handicaps are put up for sale to anyone just before a category sells out entirely.

Any one wanting both an Aft & Accessible must book very early on.

One more thing the OP and anyone else booked in accessible cabin (whether or not it was booked BEFORE or AFTER the cabin was released into "general inventory") needs to consider.

I have actually had my cabin reassigned AFTER sailing twice - and both times able-bodied folks were moved from their accessible cabins (not sure where they went.) Neither time was at MY request - but rather at NCL's insistence due to issues with my original cabin (one was a plumbing issue they needed access to fix, another was an issue with an electric balcony door.) Both times this happened on Day 2 of the cruise (once was late in the evening - they needed access to my cabin after midnight on Day 2 to resolve an urgent plumbing issue and moved me - and the other party - in the middle of the night.)

So anyone booked in accessible cabin needs to be aware that they may need to be moved at some point to accommodate someone with a disability at any point during their cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your input. I did call NCL and express my concerns about how easy it is for this to happen. I did a mock booking for myself to see, and no where does it alert or verify the type of room this is. I would think there should be some sort of filter (do you need an accessible room yes or no) that bring up rooms accordingly on the “recommended” stateroom selections page. Also, I think that accessible rooms need to be marked with the standard accessible symbol on the key/legend and deck plans instead of the square. The rep at NCL says this scenario happens often, especially for those looking for a specific room category or location. She even told me that after calling, guests chose to keep the room with the understanding that they may be moved. I did end up changing cabins because there were still aft balconies open. We will be sailing on Bliss within her first year, so I’m sure these sailings will be highly desirable. Hopefully we will see some sort of change with this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Thanks 1

thank you everyone for your input. I did call ncl and express my concerns about how easy it is for this to happen. I did a mock booking for myself to see, and no where does it alert or verify the type of room this is. I would think there should be some sort of filter (do you need an accessible room yes or no) that bring up rooms accordingly on the “recommended” stateroom selections page. Also, i think that accessible rooms need to be marked with the standard accessible symbol on the key/legend and deck plans instead of the square. The rep at ncl says this scenario happens often, especially for those looking for a specific room category or location. She even told me that after calling, guests chose to keep the room with the understanding that they may be moved. I did end up changing cabins because there were still aft balconies open. We will be sailing on bliss within her first year, so i’m sure these sailings will be highly desirable. Hopefully we will see some sort of change with this process.

Sent from my iphone using forums

Awesome!

Enjoy your cruise!!

:)

Thank you everyone for your input. I did call NCL and express my concerns about how easy it is for this to happen. I did a mock booking for myself to see, and no where does it alert or verify the type of room this is. I would think there should be some sort of filter (do you need an accessible room yes or no) that bring up rooms accordingly on the “recommended” stateroom selections page. Also, I think that accessible rooms need to be marked with the standard accessible symbol on the key/legend and deck plans instead of the square. The rep at NCL says this scenario happens often, especially for those looking for a specific room category or location. She even told me that after calling, guests chose to keep the room with the understanding that they may be moved. I did end up changing cabins because there were still aft balconies open. We will be sailing on Bliss within her first year, so I’m sure these sailings will be highly desirable. Hopefully we will see some sort of change with this process.

I think you did the right thing! And I hope you have a very wonderful cruise!

Thank you for being so considerate! I am sure you are going to have an awesome cruise!! :)

You did the right thing. You’ll be able to enjoy your cruise more knowing you did morally right.

I too applaud your decision. My friend booked us on the Bliss for October of this year. He was not able to book a accessible cabin. Once he booked it I called and got it changed to an accessible cabin. I was really surprised there was no filter in place to prevent you from booking that cabin so far out. Have a wonderful time.

Candi

• Like 1

Awesome!! You are a good person to do that! Have a fun cruise.

To the OP....THANK YOU so much for calling and changing rooms. My husband has ALS and cannot travel in a regular room anymore. He uses a scooter almost all the time, cannot stand in the shower and must have a bench, and most importantly he cannot handle the step up into a regular bathroom. We have had to start planning our trips over a full year in advance to be able to get a handicap accessible room. Once in the last 7 cruises have we been able to get a handicap room after final payment and that was on an EB transatlantic. Which makes sense because those cruises are some of the least popular. We booked an Alaska cruise for NEXT August 2019 and when we booked it over a month ago, there were no handicap inside, oceanview or balcony handicap rooms available so had to book a suite (on Princess). When we book that far out we don't usually get the good deals that the rest of you are able to get. Sometimes we can re-fare them but sometimes not. But sometimes if there isn't another handicap available in that category they won't re-fare it for us. Then I have to cancel and hope no one books into the cabin in the next five minutes while I rebook. That adds a lot of stress too. So, once again thank you for doing the right thing and switching cabins. And shame on you who say, "hey you were able to book it so go ahead and enjoy it." Remember some day you too may need one and then just remember that Karma girl is a bitch and she may be coming for you.

• Like 2

From someone who needs the accessible handicap room and can’t cruise otherwise Please please call and cancel. There are people who truly can’t vacation unless they have the correct bathroom and extra wheel space

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 2

From someone who needs the accessible handicap room and can’t cruise otherwise Please please call and cancel. There are people who truly can’t vacation unless they have the correct bathroom and extra wheel space

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You should read the whole thread. Issue resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Maybe it's my age, but I really can't believe, in this day and age, that people feel no shame, no problem at all, by taking a handicapped room just because it is there and they want more space. Sorry to say this, but you all should be ashamed of yourselves and if you don't like that, just too darn bad. Is this what the world is like today, just take because it is there with no regard to others who might need it and then blame NCL. WOW. I can understand when it is close to sailing and NCL needs to fill all the rooms, but to take a handicapped room, just for the sake of having more room, you should be ashamed. You are probably the same people who park in handicapped spaces because they are there and closer to the store.

I also applaud the OP. That is exactly what I would have suggested she do and THEN if NCL wants the room, they can move her.

Myself, I am slightly handicapped, in that I walk with a cane. When I book, I ask if a handicapped room is available as I need the bars in the shower and bathroom. I also tell them that if anyone, say in a wheelchair, might need the room, I would be happy to give it up. I have called many times for a cruise and a handicapped room and was told none are available. I would hate to think some person had that room who didn't really need it, just because they were able to get it.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

I'm sorry - I'm really confused by this situation (I'm confused about NCL's actions here, not yours). Did I understand correctly that this sailing is nearly a year away in next January? And that there are other aft balconies open? So why on earth did NCL release this cabin in the first place? Does anyone know what NCL's policies are on releasing the accessible cabins?
  • Like 1

I'm sorry - I'm really confused by this situation (I'm confused about NCL's actions here, not yours). Did I understand correctly that this sailing is nearly a year away in next January? And that there are other aft balconies open? So why on earth did NCL release this cabin in the first place? Does anyone know what NCL's policies are on releasing the accessible cabins?

I think your confusion lies in the aft balcony limited available staterooms. On many Ncl ships there is only a few of the entire category of aft balcony. The cruise line holds off on releasing the category till a certain number of the category sells. If you want ANY aft balcony it’s pretty much the same for handicap or non handicap- booking way out is the only way you’re going to get either.

For the other categories they often have tons of each category so the handicap rooms are not available till the last minute because it’s not till then that they have sold out everything else.

non handicap people residing in a handicap room happens all the time at no fault to the passengers or Ncl.

The assessible rooms are not ideal for non handicap people. The bathroom in the one I was assigned on a gt booking was very institutional and I’d have much preferred a regular bathroom. I got a great deal on the gt rate though and it is just something I half expect to get stuck with on a last minute booking or gt rate booking. I was never sent a form to fill out. Just an email about that I’d been assigned an accessible room and if I wasn’t in a wheelchair that I might be moved.

Op made a good choice and is lucky an alternative is available- quite a rarity for aft balconies. Worst case scenario she could have been moved to an equal or higher category if someone needed the room. In her case that could have been any mini suite which is a higher category but by most standards a big step down from the highly coveted aft balcony. In my case It would have been ideal to have been moved. I had a great rate so any ocean view was fantastic.

Because when you book a handicapped room, they send you documentation that you need to fill out. I assume if you don't, or indicate that you don't need those services, they will know.

They don't send you any documentation to fill out. If you say you're handicapped, they don't get to quiz you as to why and how or "decide" how handicapped you are and if you "need" the room. If it's available and you book it, you get it.

They don't send you any documentation to fill out. If you say you're handicapped, they don't get to quiz you as to why and how or "decide" how handicapped you are and if you "need" the room. If it's available and you book it, you get it.

They should require a doctor's letter to prove it is needed, just like with handicap parking stickers.

So here is my situtation:

I booked a balcony BC cabin from an online TA whom I always use.

When booking, the regular person I deal with wasn't available so I called their

1 800 number. They had a group rate on BC balcony and there were only 3 left,

all on the same side of the ship and fairly close together so I told the TA it didn't

matter which cabin he gave me.

A couple of weeks later, he forwards me a form from NCL asking about acessibiliy requirement.

I logged into NCL and discovered the TA had booked me into an accessible cabin.

At that point, there were no more BC cabins available (they were actually all gone the next day) and the lowest price on any balcony was $1000 more than I had paid.

I responded to the TA telling him that I did not require an accessible cabin and

that he or NCL should feel free to move me.

There was no way I was paying an extra $1000 to move and so far they haven't moved me and I said in 34 days.

What would you do in that situation?

Quick story..I booked a last minute cruise recently. The only category available was inside guarantee. We were assigned our cabin at checkin and realized when we boarded it was a handicapped accessible cabin. Yes, it was larger but it was definitely not “better” as so many want to believe. In any event, I immediately went to guest services to tell them that I was placed in a handicapped accessible cabin and didn’t need it or request it. I felt really bad thinking of all the people with scooters getting stuck in a regular cabin. I told guest services I would be happy to change cabins. They thanked me for coming forward, took down my cabin number and told me they would reach out to me if they needed my cabin. They explained that this cabin must not have been needed by a handicapped person so I should enjoy it. I thought this was strang because throughout the week I saw plent of scooters parked outside of regular cabins. Honestly, I felt guilty all week...like I parked in the wrong parking spot! Also, the people in the cabin next door gave a few dirty looks. Lastly, there is a automatic door closer on the cabin that actually “trapped” me behind the door a few times when I accidentally hit it during the night reaching for the cabin light to use the restroom. Bottom line, if you don’t need it don’t take it! Cruise Karma can be a wicked #itch

You are wrong. I posted the actual letter and form NCL sends above. I book accessible cabins on every cruise and I get the email every time. If you booked an accessible cabin and did NOT receive the letter and form to complete than I would check your spam or junk folder - or perhaps you deleted it accidentally.