flossie009

Meet & Mingle or Meet & Greet  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Meet & Mingle or Meet & Greet

• I prefer a Meet & Mingle organised by CC & Regent
    • I prefer a Meet & Greet organised by guests
    • I have no preference and would sign-up and attend either type of event
    • I have no preference as I would not sign-up or attend any of these events

I see that there has been some discussion on another thread about the relatively new CC/Regent initiative of “Meet & Mingle” events.

It has been suggested that this initiative be scrapped, which seems somewhat unfair considering the time and effort put in by CC, Regent and certain CC members.

Rather than interrupting a live blog with a debate, I thought a new thread with a poll might be useful and look forward to constructive comments.

We have attended both types of gatherings and have enjoyed them all.

Some events are better attended than others but none would we describe as “failures”.

Even with the Meet & Mingle programme in place, it is presumably still an option for guests to organise their own separate event if they so wish.

The program has been out for about a year and there are few people that have stated that their MM was a success, Someone posted from another cruise this month that 17 had signed up and 10 showed up. There should have been a at least 12 for the M&M yesterday and 4 showed up. Yes Regent does a lot of work on these events in addition to the time taken away from their jobs. Even Cruise Critic indicates that there can't be a M&M without 12 guests signed up. So, anything less than that could be considered a failure.

This is what it is -- not blaming Regent or CC - just not enough people participating (partially due to the times they are held - lack of enough notice, etc.) and why should Regent pay for something that isn't working? I don't feel strongly about this one way or the other but feel that Regent should be aware of how this program is going.

I voted - attend either way. However, on our last cruise, the M and M was scheduled for our first morning by CC. We did not receive the invitation until the afternoon. Missed it and was disappointed.

Sheila

Perhaps, the information can be posted on our Roll Call several days before sailing??? Just a suggestion.

If the guests just want to do it...that is really just a get together.

Every time I have been to one organized by the ship, there are officers there & it is very informative.

It is up to the passengers if they want to have officers there. I have helped set up many Meet and Greets. We select the time that works for us and coordinate it with the F&B Director. It as interesting that the best M&G we have attended had officers that no one was talking to. Each group is different but somehow it is usually quite enjoyable.

We have attended four such events. Did not do a head count, other than noting lots of folks showed up. Adequate advance notification was given, as the event took place several days into each cruise. Of course, there are so-many variables, and no time works for everyone. Officers were present at each event. Pleasant experiences.

GOARMY!

Based again on personal experiences, there seems to be a disconnect as to consistency in how onboard Regent Staff conveys date and time of these M&M events. This has never been an issue for us. It has been a very simple matter of being advised, well-before boarding, by CC that the minimal 12-person threshold had been met. So--

Anticipate more details after boarding that particular cruise segment.

Those subsequent cruises have been aboard either Explorer or Navigator. Again, a simple matter. A separate envelope on the table, along with several others. Just open the envelope. The specific time and place for the M&M is stated.

So--we attended, and by-golly, other folks showed up. There is not much more to state--other than I continue "lobbying" other CC folks who will join us on the upcoming June 3rd LA to NYC Navigator segment to sign up. At this point--only four.

Where are the rest of you?

GOARMY!

GOARMY, IF people were notified in a timely manner (or notified at all), it would be different. Some people sign up and do not receive the notification. Others, like on our cruise, board in the afternoon and learn while unpacking and going through all of the other important paperwork that the M&M is the next morning. When you do it yourself (never had a problem with finding people to help out with a M&G) the date is decided upon before you even board the ship.

Prior to Regent paying CC for their services, there was a contact person at Regent that assisted with the set-up (for people that needed help - we never did).

Like I said, I do not feel strongly about this but do not like Regent paying money for an event that few people attend. However, for people that are not capable of setting up a M&G - even a small one, I guess it is worth it to them for Regent and CC to do it.

The staff/crew on the Navigator has done and outstanding job with the M&M this WC. The food has been top notch - both looks and taste. The Officers have been at all the parties. We had more people at the last one than at the earlier ones but the ship is totally full this segment.

I do think that a posting on CC with the time/place would help since there were some who did not get invitations but that happened as well when the get-togethers were passenger-organized.

it's so nice to be able to put faces with names!

Peggy

Took over a half dozen years to get first frank Del rio then Jason montage (president of Regent) to finally agree to set up these meet and mingles by working with LauraS community manager of cruise critic. Yes before and still now u could arrange your own group meeting. However firmly believe more Regent cruise critics now enjoy a meet and mingle than previously.

There are some good suggestions in this thread so forwarded the thread to President of Regent/Jason. Below is what he said to me. Thanks again Susan and David/flossie009 for starting this thread

“Thanks Wes / will have the team look at both suggestions”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have attended M&M on two lines. The numbers present have varied. I've enjoyed meeting the person behind the nom de plume. Officers have been present and pleasant. I have not been able to make every M&M due to my schedule, poorly scheduled times or mostly, missed invites. I would like to see the latter tightened prior to the event being shuttered. At the same time, I respect your not attending if you don't enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all about timings and getting the passengers information about the event in plenty of tie. Now that I think about it on the last Regent cruise we got the notice the evening before--but had early dinner reservations and couldn't go.

Well the poll seems conclusive.

The majority of voters would support an event whoever organises it.

A small number prefer self organisation but more are content to allow CC & Regent to shoulder the burden.

The other important message from the various posts is that communication about the events needs to improve, especially early notification of the time & venue to those who have signed up to attend.

Thanks to all those who voted/commented and thus provided a consensus that may be helpful to CC and Regent for future events.

It's all about timings and getting the passengers information about the event in plenty of tie. Now that I think about it on the last Regent cruise we got the notice the evening before--but had early dinner reservations and couldn't go.

That's my concern, as well. We are on the May 6 Alaska cruise and as of right now, have 20 people signed up. What time are they usually scheduled? I have excursions planed as well as dinner reservations and I'm hoping there aren"t any conflicts. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

In my opinion, it is more than getting the information out to passengers in a timely fashion - passengers need to be invested in the process (i.e. discussing it amongst themselves, deciding what day is the best for the majority of the folks on Roll Call. For the Meet and Greets that have been done by Regent and their guests for years that were successful, we had passengers volunteering to make name tags (really cute ones) and I have even ordered refrigerator calendar magnets with a photo of the ship and date of the cruise.

Since Cruise Critic are the ones organizing it, shouldn't they be involved in working out the time in advance with either someone at corporate or on the ship? Why is so much responsibility being placed on Regent when they are paying CC go organize a Meet and Mingle?

P.S. It remains interesting that there are about 700 passengers on Regent ships (more on Explorer - less on Navigator) and only 58 people (not necessary Regent current passengers) voted. This factor should definitely be taken into consideration.

P.S. It remains interesting that there are about 700 passengers on Regent ships (more on Explorer - less on Navigator) and only 58 people (not necessary Regent current passengers) voted. This factor should definitely be taken into consideration.

This poll is about those CC members on CC Regent Roll Calls who wish to join a social event on their cruise.

As you have never ceased to remind us all in previous posts, the percentage of those cruising with Regent who are members of CC is very low.

This poll is therefore as valid, if not more so, than mere speculation or individual opinion.

It defeats me why anyone would wish to bash those organising social events; particularly if the person objecting to the events has made it clear that they have no interest in attending anyway :rolleyes:

This seems grossly unfair to other CC members, to CC and to Regent.

It defeats me why anyone would wish to bash those organising social events; particularly if the person objecting to the events has made it clear that they have no interest in attending anyway :rolleyes:

This seems grossly unfair to other CC members, to CC and to Regent.

Kindly explain your statements a bit further as what you posted does not ring true with what I'm reading on this board. No one is bashing organizers. What posters have indicated is that these events need to be organized better. Since they are now being organized by Cruise Critic, should they not be made aware of these issues?

What is most puzzling is that I've mentioned several times that the best M&G I've ever attended was on Explorer so I have obviously attended many, many Meet and Greets (but not M&M's due to the issues that others have raised). I stopped by the M&M last Monday on the Voyager to say hi and that is when I found four people there. I brought it up on my blog and you decided to start a thread and poll).

The issues are pretty clear:

1. Not enough people are attending Meet and Mingles to make it worth it for CC or Regent (after all, they want a minimum of 12 participants)

2. They are sometimes scheduled with too short of notice.

3. Invitations have failed to go out on more than one occasion.

At some point Regent is likely going to look at Meet and Mingles and determine if the results have been worth it for the company.

Why not have a sign up for the Mix and Mingle on the website for our Cruise with a deadline of 2 to 4 weeks prior to embarkment. By then most of us will know the date and time for our excursions and special dinners.

That is pretty much the way it is done. Once the magic number12 is reached CC notifies the signees they will have a M&M on the cruise. At that point CC also contacts the ship who sets the time and date and tells the signees that you will be notified once on the ship of the meeting place and time. So it is up to the ship to send out that info once the cruise starts.

We have done two multi segment cruises on Regent. The first one there was one M&G set up by passengers on the first segment. The other three segments didn't have very many on the roll call and no one wanted to mess with it.

On the current world cruise we have had 4 M&M set up by CC and Regent. The Roll Calls for the 6 segments were very small 12 to 16 people total, but everyone sign up so Regent is having a M&M each segment. The attendance has matched the sign up numbers allowing for conflicts. The M&M so far have been set for 10 to 11AM or 11 to 12 noon on one of the first sea days. Regent set this time and knows/knew it is during the morning lecture time. Some people came early and left others came at the end of the lecture some stayed the whole hour. Regent does a great job with many staff coming by and visiting and putting on a lavish food display. They are choosing the time so I would assume it is OK with them to put in the effort. We have received a notice each time the first night. I like the M&M this way because at least we are having them!

If you signed up and don't have an invite in your cabin the first night...simply go to reception and ask the next morning. Just like you do for any thing else that is missing.

I tend to think that the world cruise would have more participants and that Regent would go over and above what they typically do. I think that Regent F&B recognizes that preparing the more lavish spreads when only a handful of people show up is not cost effective. For our M&M (4 total people - no one had stopped by and left early. There was champagne, mimosas and Bloody Mary’s and a tray of canapés. I’m glad that they did not make more.

Regent has always done a great job - both with Meet and Greets and Meet and Mingles. I simply would like to see it scheduled at a time that works for most of the people on Roll Call instead of some random time. Perhaps a “standard” goal could be set ....... M&M’s will be at xx:xx a.m./p.m. on the first sea day. If there are no sea days, maybe the 3rd evening at sea (since the 2nd night is the Captain’s Reception).