Price drop.....but not really

crusing48/51

We booked our upcoming cruise with early saver rate. I was doing a mock booking to check for price drops. I was excited to find that our rate has dropped $25 per person.

However, once I got to the final total, the taxes and port fees had increased so much that the cruise actually now costs more if I try and claim the price reduction!

Quite frustrated right now. Thanks for letting me vent.

It could be the lower rate you saw was for a lower-category cabin, and the category you booked has actually not dropped. Same thing happened to me.

You go on to Carnival's website, and you see a great price in a big font. But when you dig in, it's only for the worst rooms.

If you only care about saving money, you can probably downgrade and get that price. I doubt the port fees have changed unless the itinerary did, and the taxes only change when the government passes a law about it.

It could be the lower rate you saw was for a lower-category cabin, and the category you booked has actually not dropped. Same thing happened to me.

You go on to Carnival's website, and you see a great price in a big font. But when you dig in, it's only for the worst rooms.

If you only care about saving money, you can probably downgrade and get that price. I doubt the port fees have changed unless the itinerary did, and the taxes only change when the government passes a law about it.

No, it's for a 4K, and I scrolled through and checked the price at the end. The taxes and port fees have increased from our original booking, while the cabin category has decreased, therefore making the total more.

If I try and claim the cabin category decrease, they will hit me with the increased taxes and port fees, so will end up paying more total. Not worth it.

Also, can't downgrade with early saver.

Also, can't downgrade with early saver.

I can't explain the port fee/tax increase, that sounds unusual.

When I called and spoke to Carnival about my price drop (I also booked Early Saver) I was given the option to downgrade and get the advertised price. Would have saved me a total of $200 for two people. I declined because I wanted to keep the cabin I had.

We booked our upcoming cruise with early saver rate. I was doing a mock booking to check for price drops. I was excited to find that our rate has dropped $25 per person.

However, once I got to the final total, the taxes and port fees had increased so much that the cruise actually now costs more if I try and claim the price reduction!

Expecting price drops in this day and age with how popular cruising is might be unrealistic.

For the vast majority of cruisers, the price rises as the date of the cruise approaches.

If you were happy with the price when you booked the cruise, no reason to be "frustrated".

When we booked, cabin cost $1444 per person, taxes and fees were $619.46.

Today, cabin cost per person $1419, taxes and fees are $718.80.

This is for a 14 day Journey cruise to Panama Canal, 4K cabin, on the Miracle out of Tampa,December 2, 2018.

If I claim the price drop, the cruise will cost more, so will not do it. Also, want to keep our cabin, its between the lifeboats, so no downgrade.

This is for a 14 day Journey cruise to Panama Canal, 4K cabin, on the Miracle out of Tampa,December 2, 2018.

If I claim the price drop, the cruise will cost more, so will not do it. Also, want to keep our cabin, its between the lifeboats, so no downgrade.

Sure would be nice to see a breakdown of where the "taxes and fees" are going. Somebody is getting an extra $100 and the cruising public wants to know!:D

I agree with the price when I book. If it drops and I pay less then great, but honestly I rarely check.

Remember when you booked, you picked your itinerary you picked your room, you submitted your deposit and you got that first look of your booking number and that message that says congratulations, you are going on a cruise?

Don't let this "frustration" interfere with your excitement. Go cruise and have fun.

Not sure what the frustration is, you booked a room at a price you felt was reasonable. And today you see that you still paid a lower cost than if you booked it today. Enjoy what you originally paid and be happy knowing you got a good price.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

This happened to me as well. I checked the prices and our cruise had dropped. I also did a mock booking and the total price was higher than we originally paid! Took me a while to figure out that the taxes/port fees had increased. :eek:

I'm on the 14 Panama Cruise in January, taxes and fees have almost doubled for our cruise from the time I booked. Luckily our pricing has only gone up so I ended up saving over $1800 by booking early.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Not getting the price drop will not deter us from having a great cruise. It would have been nice to get an extra $50, but maybe on another cruise. I was just excited to see a price drop in our rate, but was disappointed to not be able to take advantage of it due to increased port and tax charges. Still blessed to be able to cruise.

Have you asked your PVP or a Carnival rep? Are you absolutely certain they factor in taxes & port fees when honoring price drops? When I submitted our Price Protection request about a month ago, I only included base rates on the form. We got the lower price. I would've thought it went off that category's base rate before taxes, fees, and any other add-on.

In my opinion, you got a really good price. I think a good price is less than $100 per day per person. You got just a bit over $100 per day per person. That's pretty good. You shouldn't be frustrated, you should be pleased. That looks like a great itinerary, But that's just me. I break down, the cost of the room, food and entertainment.

Jenny

I can't explain the port fee/tax increase, that sounds unusual.

When I called and spoke to Carnival about my price drop (I also booked Early Saver) I was given the option to downgrade and get the advertised price. Would have saved me a total of $200 for two people. I declined because I wanted to keep the cabin I had.

Usually do not allow downgrades

I was on a different cruise line and our port charges went up before the cruise. The difference was billed on our sign and sail account while we were cruising. Everybody had to pay the increase. Another time the port charges were reduced and everybody received a credit on their account.