There is a major inequity in distribution of the Hotel Service Charge

Billthekid

In 2001, when most passengers still paid tips in cash, many cruise lines suggested $3.50 per person per day for the room steward, $3.50 per person per day for the waiter, and $2.00 per person per day for the assistant waiter. An additional $1.00 per person per day was suggested for the supervisors in the dining room. The total was $10.00 per person per day.

HAL was different, they said tipping was not required but they suggested any amount the passengers wanted to tip would be appreciated.

If you had taken the time to read the thread already provide proof. I have direct statements from crew members. You can believe or not believe. I have made the same claims under the pains and penalties of perjury in legal actions against cruise lines and none have ever come after me for these statements. Because they know it would require them to provide access to information that would bury them.

I took the time to read it all and, I did not see second, third hand hear- say chatting as proof of such serious accusation.

For me, that was not convincing.

JMO.

Another point of interest is how many former crew members leave their HAL service and training with strong working skills, improved English language skills, exposure to different cultures and travels, and a leg up for their next job after obtaining direct working experience in the global hospitality industry.

Entry level jobs with in-house training are harder and harder to find in the US. More US workers should be applying for these crew jobs, since the hospitality industry sector is among the top 10 in the US economy. Maybe with the new work requirement for US welfare, there will be more interest in these skill-building employment opportunities.

Excellent points! I'm not saying these jobs are "low paying," but who among us did not have a lower level/pay job at the start of our careers that helped us build strengths to make us candidates for the next level when the opportunity arose? The experience of every crew position is something that can be taken to the bank!

IF the claim and reason for removing HSC is poor service. They should have consulted the proper department heads etc and had the issues addressed IF so they could have had better cruisethey did not, then it is nOT ab out poor service hey like boarded the ship fully in tending to stiff the crew. but. that is for them towork on to make themselves better travelers.

No matter, if it was not known during the cruise they were unhappy with service and they did not seek help t o make it better I think they should be required to pay HSC JMO

It likely is obvious to office staff who are the 'cheapos' and who has legitimate complaint

Totally agree Sail that it should be addressed on board, but assuming it was and assuming it wasn't rectified, then it may be fair to do it assuming it is justified.

those are pretty rare occasions and why I said 99%

But, it can happen.

So, I always play to the exceptions. They can happen.

We have never removed HSC even on our 'nightmare cruise' as the staff did the best they could under the circumstances. There was no reason to punish them and it wasn't their fault.

Guest services told me HSC funds are distributed 35% to cabin stewards, 35% to dining room stewards and assistants, and 30% to behind the scene workers such as laundry, dish washer, etc. I talked to several persons and was told there are 110 dining room staff workers and 43 cabin stewards on our ship the Rotterdam.

So back to the original question. Does the cabin stewards receive 1/43rd of 35% of HSC and the dinning room staff receive 1/110th of 35% ? This does appear to be disproportionate.

Excellent points! I'm not saying these jobs are "low paying," but who among us did not have a lower level/pay job at the start of our careers that helped us build strengths to make us candidates for the next level when the opportunity arose? The experience of every crew position is something that can be taken to the bank!

Most of us who had those entry level, low-paying jobs went home to our families every night. You cannot put a price on being with your family compared to being thousands of miles away for months at a time. Just saying.

Except it is not the cruise line doing that. Rather it is some passengers doing it.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You are right. Many fellow passengers are disgusted by people who find excuses to remove the HSC.

However, it is all but impossible to send someone on a guilt trip if they don’t have a conscience to begin with.

Yes, I said it.

Pricing structures vary, based on which country the passenger lives. A passenger on another line told me British passengers pay a higher base fare, inclusive of gratuities. If this is true it explains why some remove auto gratuities, to avoid paying twice.

Most of us who had those entry level, low-paying jobs went home to our families every night. You cannot put a price on being with your family compared to being thousands of miles away for months at a time. Just saying.

Most of us who had those entry jobs knew what was required and that it was a short term investment that would reap a long term gain. According to one HM he said they typically get four contracts from their younger crew, - first one they use to buy a motorcycle, then a car, then a house, and then get married. This remains an excellent proven formula - education, job, marriage, family. HAL honors family time. Those that do have family know they are investing long term with this type of employment, and that is a very commendable value. Plus it appears they also have very strong extended family support systems. Also commendable.