Final Paid--Let the Travel Tips for Alaska Begin!

We are on the MS Amsterdam traveling round trip from Seattle June 17--24th.

I am interested in tips onboard the ship and in Sitka. I used to travel for athletic opportunities--hiking, snorkeling, biking, horseback riding, zip lining, etc. This trip, I'm hoping to be able to walk for a half hour twice per day out in the sea air on the ship (perhaps more if I get better and better faster and faster ;) )... to give you a sense of the types of activities that might fit my range of stamina.

We aren't planning any tours...leaving up to the day's vitality to determine, but I do want to get off in Sitka, where we are tendering on Summer Solstice. Being of 100% Russian stock myself, I feel like I just "need" to get myself out into Sitka nature and commune with my Russian ancestors there;p If anyone can recommend a trail and/or a taxi company that would take us to it, I'd appreciate:halo:

We stopped in Sitka two years ago. Walked to the Sitka National Historical Site, nice hike around the site, and stopped at the Russian Bishop's House. Google Sitka National Historical Site for lots of information. This next trip, we're going in the opposite direction to the Russian Cemetery, Baranof Castle site, and Saint Michael's Cathedral. The tender port which is where the shuttle buses drop off HAL cruisers is centrally located between the historical site and the cemetery, etc.

where we are tendering on Summer Solstice

According to the CLIA cruiseship calendar you are docked, not tendering, in Sitka.

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Sitka-%E2%80%93-SIT-2018.pdf

I've only tendered, so this bit is hearsay :) There will be a shuttle provided from the dock area to Sitka.

Given your physical restrictions, I would seriously think about hiring a car and driver to see as much as you can, without wearing yourself out. Consider, too, going to the Sitka National Historic Park and spending some time walking in the trees and seeing some of the totem poles. There is a LOT to see and do there, so prioritize

https://www.nps.gov/sitk/planyourvisit/maps.htm

That map shows a lot of the points of interest in Sitka -- the park, the Russian Bishop's House, St. Michael's Cathedral.

You could also consider seeing the New Archangel dancers

http://newarchangeldancers.com/index.html

With a car & driver, and a bit of planning, you could see a fair amount, taking a bit of time to re-group in the car after each stop.

Looking up your cruise on the new HAL website - OMG is that a bad website - annoying, awful, terrible. I don't think I could ever book another HAL cruise on this new website.

Yes, I know it takes time to get used to new things, but this is just plain terrible - and worse, jumps all over the place - no direct route to anything, can't track back, and heaven help you if you don't know what you need to know before you try to penetrate this monstrosity. To think our past cruise dollars helped pay for this adds insult to injury. The old website could have used some tweaking; but this needs to be pitched into the garbage can. Ouch, this was painful.

Meanwhile, have a wonderful time. We will be up that way a month ahead of you on the sister ship Zaandam, so if I learn anything about some of your ports, I will report back .Very much looking forward to Sitka too.

We are on the MS Amsterdam traveling round trip from Seattle June 17--24th.

I am interested in tips onboard the ship and in Sitka. I used to travel for athletic opportunities--hiking, snorkeling, biking, horseback riding, zip lining, etc. This trip, I'm hoping to be able to walk for a half hour twice per day out in the sea air on the ship (perhaps more if I get better and better faster and faster ;) )... to give you a sense of the types of activities that might fit my range of stamina.

We aren't planning any tours...leaving up to the day's vitality to determine, but I do want to get off in Sitka, where we are tendering on Summer Solstice. Being of 100% Russian stock myself, I feel like I just "need" to get myself out into Sitka nature and commune with my Russian ancestors there;p If anyone can recommend a trail and/or a taxi company that would take us to it, I'd appreciate:halo:

The last time that we were in Sitka, we (4 of us) were just walking around the main street area after having passed all of the high priced hucksters on the pier trying to get us to pay $60.00 each to jam into a shuttle bus with a bunch of other people. I saw a nice lady in a mini van just kind of circling around aimlessly and made eye contact with her. She drove over and I asked her if she gave private tours. She answered yes and said for $20.00 ea. she would take us wherever we wanted to go for as long as we wanted. We spent several hours with her and at one point we even stopped at a garage sale to do a little "local shopping". She has lived in Sitka her entire life and was a very knowledgeable and pleasant guide. She said that she is not allowed to solicit business near the pier because the hucksters have a lock on it. I ended up giving her an extra $20 for a total of $100.00 for the four of us. Great tour. Her name is Delores and I'm sure she is still there. Look for a beat up mini van.

We stopped in Sitka two years ago. Walked to the Sitka National Historical Site, nice hike around the site, and stopped at the Russian Bishop's House. Google Sitka National Historical Site for lots of information. This next trip, we're going in the opposite direction to the Russian Cemetery, Baranof Castle site, and Saint Michael's Cathedral. The tender port which is where the shuttle buses drop off HAL cruisers is centrally located between the historical site and the cemetery, etc.

Thank you! Very informative... though progress has us docking closer to one area than the other this time. I find the ideal of a castle and cemetery to be intriguing... we'll see if Nature gets the win;)

Looking up your cruise on the new HAL website - OMG is that a bad website - annoying, awful, terrible. I don't think I could ever book another HAL cruise on this new website.

Meanwhile, have a wonderful time. We will be up that way a month ahead of you on the sister ship Zaandam, so if I learn anything about some of your ports, I will report back .Very much looking forward to Sitka too.

Agree on the website... looks like they farmed out the development to web developers in a third world country to save a dime;p... but that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure that, with time, they will figure out how to navigate again :cool:

Looking forward to your report! and I'll be listening for the giggles you leave behind for me ;)

The last time that we were in Sitka, we (4 of us) were just walking around the main street area after having passed all of the high priced hucksters on the pier trying to get us to pay $60.00 each to jam into a shuttle bus with a bunch of other people. I saw a nice lady in a mini van just kind of circling around aimlessly and made eye contact with her. She drove over and I asked her if she gave private tours. She answered yes and said for $20.00 ea. she would take us wherever we wanted to go for as long as we wanted. We spent several hours with her and at one point we even stopped at a garage sale to do a little "local shopping". She has lived in Sitka her entire life and was a very knowledgeable and pleasant guide. She said that she is not allowed to solicit business near the pier because the hucksters have a lock on it. I ended up giving her an extra $20 for a total of $100.00 for the four of us. Great tour. Her name is Delores and I'm sure she is still there. Look for a beat up mini van.

Thanks for the tip! I will walk away from the dock a bit and see if I can find her. A local garage sale sounds just like my idea of fun:cool:

Looking forward to your report! and I'll be listening for the giggles you leave behind for me ;)

I have a feeling in mid May there will be more ...brrrrrrrrr's....... than anything else.

I verymuch enjoyed tour to Mendenhall Glacier and National park w tth ghe Rangers. Some great information, very intresting, iMO

We also had a salmon bzk c as part of that tour. THAT was really good as I love fresh salmon. The glaciers are so beautiful. I ha d no clue what to expect.

I verymuch enjoyed tour to Mendenhall Glacier and National park w tth ghe Rangers. Some great information, very intresting, iMO

We also had a salmon bzk c as part of that tour. THAT was really good as I love fresh salmon. The glaciers are so beautiful. I ha d no clue what to expect.

I am going off topic to share a story that only a true fresh salmon lover can appreciate (I'm pretty sure the OP will accept my apology;p)

From 1984--1986, I lived on Lopez Island in the San Juan Islands and had a boyfriend with a fishing boat... so you probably know how this story goes. I'm not sure how anyone thought that having me onboard made him safer in an emergency, but that was the thinking that got me working on gillnetter for a summer. I was in charge of things like making coffee and steering the ship. He laid the net while I sang to the fishes to come on in for a good time, and both of us took them and the jellyfish off the net....

But the best part was that I got my pick BEFORE we sold to the processing ship where they would flash freeze. So I'm talking FRESH. I would take it straight from boat, dress it, and put it in the oven. Wish I could share it with you now... hope the memory takes you "there" like it does for me.

I have a feeling in mid May there will be more ...brrrrrrrrr's....... than anything else.

I think you are right. We live on Camano Island in the San Juan Islands, and we are barely reaching 50 degrees in early April.... and we are much further south than Alaska ;p OK. I will listen for really brrrrrrrrry giggles :D

Nice story

Thanks for sharing....

iit brought to my mind the years we would go on friends c harter fishing party boats and would drop fishing lines tocagtch flounder. Oooo, was that fish ever good. The crew would filet all fish we caught, put it on ice and that was dinner that night. . I've not had flounder that good sinc.e There are limits on catches that are allowed now and not just commerical but recreational, as well. I had not thought of that in year s but it brings sweet memories. Lots of nice people, good fish and good fun. :) I needed that kind of happy smile. Thank you.

When we were in Sitka in 2009 and 2012, we tendered in. We walked to the raptor center which is not terribly far from the docks. It's a nice walk through the forest. We were there late in August so the salmon were in the streams, dying in droves. You could easily see the eggs. I would recommend lunch at an out of the way cafe, The Larkspur, but according to online sources it may have closed down. You will enjoy the Russian shops and there was also a nice quilt/fabric/needlework shop. The tour of the Russian Bishop's House is good if you are a history geek. We enjoyed that also.