Welcome to Rostock/Warnemünde - 2018

Dear Members and Contributors,

This will be my last post on this forum except as a cruiser seeking advice. As from next week I am taking up a voluntary position within Tourism in order to have more personal contact with our visitors. This of course makes me ineligible to be a contributor within the rules. :(

I have enjoyed my time with Cruise critic and hope that I, in my way, have helped cruisers to enjoy their visit to this beautiful area.

I would like to thank especially those who have taken the trouble to acknowledge my replies and host Colleen for her expression of appreciation. Also special thanks to 'Sauer Kraut' for answering queries when I have been off on my cargo ship adventures.

I will continue to update and add pages to my web site and hope that someone else will take my place as the 'local' for Rostock/Warnemünde.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

As from next week I am taking up a voluntary position within Tourism in order to have more personal contact with our visitors. This of course makes me ineligible to be a contributor within the rules

What?

I did not know that a volunteer in the tourism industry is ineligible to be a contributor on the forum.

(Would you please direct me to those rules?)

Thank you Travelanni for your valuable contribution to the forums. I have always found your posts to be helpful.

All the best.

I do not think either of you Travelanni or Danish Viking post about private guides or profit from any info you give

You both are very helpful for visitors

Maybe a misinterpretation of the rules ???

JMO

Participation of Local Experts in Ports of Call

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators/guides will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended.

At the end of August, we will arrive at Berlin 2 days before our cruise starts. We will embark our cruise at the Rostock port.

Any suggestions of Berlin hotels that are convenient to sightseeing spots/town center?

Any suggestions on how we can get to the Rostock port from Berlin? There will be 6 of us (4 persons age 70+); each of us will have at least one 28" luggage.

Should we spend 2 days in Berlin or 1 day in Berlin and 1 day in Rostock?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

At the end of August, we will arrive at Berlin 2 days before our cruise starts. We will embark our cruise at the Rostock port.

Any suggestions of Berlin hotels that are convenient to sightseeing spots/town center?

Any suggestions on how we can get to the Rostock port from Berlin? There will be 6 of us (4 persons age 70+); each of us will have at least one 28" luggage.

Should we spend 2 days in Berlin or 1 day in Berlin and 1 day in Rostock?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

With that size luggage and the number of people you might be better off looking at private transport to Rostock. Will you be suffering from jet lag? Then definately 2 days in Berlin, rather than splitting it up.

As for hotels you will find 100's Berlin is a big city to map out what you want to see and look in those general areas.

As from next week I am taking up a voluntary position within Tourism in order to have more personal contact with our visitors. This of course makes me ineligible to be a contributor within the rules.

I am still puzzled.

the position is a voluntary one...not a paid position....so why would this make her ineligible? (perhaps a slight misinterpretation of the rules?)

to me, it is another way of helping visitors as we all do on these forums.

As from next week I am taking up a voluntary position within Tourism in order to have more personal contact with our visitors. This of course makes me ineligible to be a contributor within the rules.

I am still puzzled.

the position is a voluntary one...not a paid position....so why would this make her ineligible? (perhaps a slight misinterpretation of the rules?)

to me, it is another way of helping visitors as we all do on these forums.

I never expected or wished for my final post to cause controversy or my decision to be questioned. I find this most unpleasant

Interpreting the rules as I see them, I alone decided that I am no longer eligible to contribute as a local resident and that decision is final.

May we now please drop the subject and let the forum return to its intended purpose of helping each other to enjoy cruising.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
spelling

With that size luggage and the number of people you might be better off looking at private transport to Rostock. Will you be suffering from jet lag? Then definately 2 days in Berlin, rather than splitting it up.

As for hotels you will find 100's Berlin is a big city to map out what you want to see and look in those general areas.

Any suggestions on which companies to book private transfer from Berlin hotel to Rostock?

Thank you.

I don't understand this travelanni. I'm a volunteer at my local cruise ports and am not banned from posting on Cruisecritic giving advice to cruisers visiting my local area. I have had warnings when I have mentioned unmentionables l(ike other social media sites) but never had any problems when I have said I was a volunteer at the port.

Any suggestions on which companies to book private transfer from Berlin hotel to Rostock?

Thank you.

I haven't used any of these companies, but here are their websites. It looks like a 7 passenger van will run about 400 Euros for the group. But you will be picked up door to door so it would take a lot of stress out of trying to get on the train with those suitcases.

In no particular order:

https://kiwitaxi.com/en/germany/berlin-%3Erostock

https://www.knopkatransfer.com/city/berlin/rostock.html

https://www.berlincitytours.com/transfers/1-way-transfer-from-to-the-port-of-warnemunderostock/

https://myeurotaxi.com/taxi/berlin/rostock/

I would check each one and contact them for details, etc. Good luck!

I haven't used any of these companies, but here are their websites. It looks like a 7 passenger van will run about 400 Euros for the group. But you will be picked up door to door so it would take a lot of stress out of trying to get on the train with those suitcases.

In no particular order:

https://kiwitaxi.com/en/germany/berlin-%3Erostock

https://www.knopkatransfer.com/city/berlin/rostock.html

https://www.berlincitytours.com/transfers/1-way-transfer-from-to-the-port-of-warnemunderostock/

https://myeurotaxi.com/taxi/berlin/rostock/

I would check each one and contact them for details, etc. Good luck!

Thank you!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you travelanni for all the assistance you have given us and all our cruising family here on cruisecritic. You will be missed. Perhaps we will meet in person for travel assistance.

We wish you safe travels on whatever roads/seas life takes you.

I am just researching for a trip next month. Our cruise, Regal Princes, will dock in Warnemunde and we have never been to this part of Europe . It sounds like trying to get to Berlin might be a time issue, so we thought we could explore near the port. If someone can direct me to a post of suggestions or if you have your own I would appreciate it.

Tweedy522: High neighbor. Take a look at www.travelanni.webs.com for alternatives. we're going to dock in Warnemunde in early July on our Baltic cruise and will be spending the day there & in Rostock. we don't want to ride 6 to 7 hours to/from Berlin and spend only 3 hours touring+ I've been thee before when it was a divided city.

Tweedy522: High neighbor. Take a look at www.travelanni.webs.com for alternatives. we're going to dock in Warnemunde in early July on our Baltic cruise and will be spending the day there & in Rostock. we don't want to ride 6 to 7 hours to/from Berlin and spend only 3 hours touring+ I've been thee before when it was a divided city.

Thank you, I will read on this site.

We are doing Mega Mecklenburg tour with Friends of Dave Tours in early July from Warnemunde. It is Rick Steeves' recommended and gets top ratings on Trip Advisor.

I am just researching for a trip next month. Our cruise, Regal Princes, will dock in Warnemunde and we have never been to this part of Europe . It sounds like trying to get to Berlin might be a time issue, so we thought we could explore near the port. If someone can direct me to a post of suggestions or if you have your own I would appreciate it.

Here's what we did for a day in Warnemuende/Rostock during our Baltic Cruise:

1. Started out by renting bicycles in Warnemunde at Fahrradverleih Warnemuende at Muehlenstrasse 35 (not far from the Tourist Informatioon office). The cost is about 10 euros per day per bicycle and includes a helmet. Bring your passport in order to rent. https://www.fahrradverleih-warnemuende.de/

2. Leisurely bicycle ride along a quiet bike path overlooking the ocean for most of the way. Stopped after about 90 minutes at Kuehlungsborn. Drink/snack/rest and return to Warnemuende.

3. Returned bikes and walked along the pretty pedestrian area called Am Strom, stopping at a boat/restaurant for delicious fish sandwiches.

4. Went to the train station and took the S-bahn to Rostock. The train leaves about 5 - 6 times each hour and the trip takes just about 20 minutes. Buy tickets before boarding.

5. In Rostock, we walked from the train station to the former Stasi Prison which is now a museum. Admission is free and includes an audio tour in English. It was fascinating!

6. We then walked into town and walked through the pedestrian zone doing a little shopping for chocolate along the way. Our ship (HAL) provided free bus transport back to the ship from Rostock, but taking the train would have been easy too.

we were on the Regal in August last year,

from Warnemunde, we took the train to Schwerin via Rostock.

Schwerin is a picturesque city with a lovely castle. as we were there on a Monday, the castle was closed but the gardens of the castle were very pretty.

we rate Schwerin as one of the highlights of our cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Whimsey

How much walking was required for your trip to Schwerin? We will be traveling with DML and while she is healthy and active, don't want to wear her out on our first port stop!

TIA for any advice.

@ Clay,

walking from the port to the train station was about 20 minutes

from the train station at Schwerin through the pretty town to the castle would be another 25 minutes

perhaps DML would not notice the distance to be walked as there's so much to see along the walks

also note that there is a ticket called the Mecklenburg Lander ticket which allows a group of people to travel in this region for a reasonable price ie for one person the price is XX Euros and for another person it's additional 3 Euros

@ Clay,

walking from the port to the train station was about 20 minutes

from the train station at Schwerin through the pretty town to the castle would be another 25 minutes

perhaps DML would not notice the distance to be walked as there's so much to see along the walks

also note that there is a ticket called the Mecklenburg Lander ticket which allows a group of people to travel in this region for a reasonable price ie for one person the price is XX Euros and for another person it's additional 3 Euros

Thanks for the info! And also for the ticket info-we used a similar ticket a few years back when four of us were traveling from Salzburg to Passau to join our river cruise-saved us enough for a nice lunch.

Are there cafes or other places to sit and rest along the two walks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk