Checking into a flight onboard without WiFi package?

Despite researching, I cannot find the answer to this dilemma. I hope someone on CC can help…

We are traveling southbound in Alaska in June on the Coral. Having AT&T as our cell provider, I am pretty certain I will (for once!) not have to purchase a WiFi package onboard since we will be in ports enough to keep in touch.

However, here’s the dilemma: 24 hours before our flight out of Vancouver, we will be at sea. How can we check in to our flights 24 hours in advance without an onboard WiFi package?

My research tells me that with the Delta app, all you have to do is open it, and you are automatically checked in. Has anyone ever done that with the Delta app? Is this possible onboard without a WiFi package?

What might my other options be regarding checking in 24 hrs in advance for our Delta flight while we are at sea?

TIA!

you still need a internet package/plan to use it just like wifi on your device

OK, haven't been in years - I thought I remembered that you just logged in your cabin card and paid by the minute

maybe not...

The staff at the Internet Cafe can help you set up the pay-as-you-go plan so you will only be charged for the minutes used. Then you can use the Delta app on your phone. If you've had Internet packages before, then you know to make sure to sign out when you're done!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

The staff at the Internet Cafe can help you set up the pay-as-you-go plan so you will only be charged for the minutes used. Then you can use the Delta app on your phone. If you've had Internet packages before, then you know to make sure to sign out when you're done!

Thank you. I was unaware of the pay-as-you-go option. I've only ever seen the plans that begin at 100+ minutes for onboard use.

I am flying Delta this trip, and I see no requirement to check in 24 hours ahead of time. I see you CAN but not that you have to. Am I missing something? Is there an advantage to doing that?

Just got off the Royal and on the last day which was a sea day there was an offer for 15 minutes worth of WiFi for $9 which I think is highway robbery. If you don’t have a WiFi plan you’re going to have to either pay for the special offer or pay by the minutes you’ll be using to check in for your flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have someone not on the cruise check you in if it is that important and paying for internet is not in your budget. It is all about choices.

Like snowskier says get one of your reliable friends or rellies at home to make the booking for you 24 hours before you fly when check in opens. You just need to give them your flight reference number. I've done it myself.

I checked in for our flight last Thursday while on Royal Princess using the computers at the internet cafe. I did not have any internet package so I paid by the minute at $ 0.79 per minute. I checked in on AA and then checked weather. I used 6 minutes and it cost me $4.74.

Why not just wait to check in at the airport? Though there're clearly reasons to check in 24 hours early with some airlines (Southwest comes to mind), I'm not sure there's any urgency to check in early with Delta.

my son will be flying southwest tomorrow - he stated something about having the option to pay SW $ 15 per leg, and SW will check you in 36 hours before your flight to get a 'premium' seat

just an option

I checked in for our flight last Thursday while on Royal Princess using the computers at the internet cafe. I did not have any internet package so I paid by the minute at $ 0.79 per minute. I checked in on AA and then checked weather. I used 6 minutes and it cost me $4.74.

Thank you! This is EXACTLY the advice I was looking for. Much appreciated EMS8

my son will be flying southwest tomorrow - he stated something about having the option to pay SW $ 15 per leg, and SW will check you in 36 hours before your flight to get a 'premium' seat

just an option

That is not true, if you purchase the Early Bird boarding they will assign your boarding group #, 36 hours before your flight but you still have to check in online.

If you are on a ship with the slloooowww internet (still most of the fleet), it might take you most of the 15 minutes to complete a check-in when lots of people are doing it or the internet is just extra slow. If you have the chance to check-in using a phone in a port, take it.

EarlyBird Check-In Customers will have their boarding positions reserved beginning 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Boarding Passes can be accessed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled local departure time.

That's for Southwest

That is not true, if you purchase the Early Bird boarding they will assign your boarding group #, 36 hours before your flight but you still have to check in online.

I've done the Early Bird on Southwest & when I logged in to it 24 hours before flight, the only thing I could do was print boarding passes - no option for "check-in" as they do it for you. Got the "A" group every time I've done this. I'll be flying them again very soon & will double-check my memory!

We were on Delta last year flying out of Fort Lauderdale post cruise. We didn't check in 24 hours ahead because we didn't have internet minutes. we arrived at the airport and checked in over 3 hours before our flight, but were assigned seats several rows apart. There were no more seats together available. My wife was seated in a middle seat beside a mom with an active 2 year old that was sharing the seat with the Mom. She was a good sport, but that kid had to touch everything (including grabbing her hair many times) and continually pushed and jumped and squirmed and squawked to get out of Mom's arms. Meanwhile I was in an aisle seat beside a very large lady in the middle seat. She took the armrest between us (and a little beyond) and I had to slightly lean towards the center to avoid pushing up against her. Well, every time someone walked by, they bumped my shoulder and gave me the evil eye as if I shoulder checked them. This was a 4 and a half hour flight and I probably shoulder checked 30 or 40 people, including the drink cart multiple times. I had no other option. I curled up my shoulders as much as I could, but I am 6' 2" and could not avoid it. Worst flight in recent memory.

So I think we will bite the bullet for future Delta flights (and WestJet, which has similar policies for seat assignments), and pay for internet to check in on the last sea day of the cruise.

Don

For most reservations where you have already selected seats, you need not check in 24 hours in advance.

For Southwest, pay $15 when you book and Southwest will check you in. Once off the ship you can download your boarding pass in the app or into your wallet. You must do this, as I recall, 72 hours in advance. Within 72 hours, it's $30.

If you are nervous about this, ask a shore based friend or relative to handle. We were on an RCI trans Atlantic once where the internet was down for 2 days. That included what the Captain and crew used for business, weather, navigation, etc. (They have non-internet alternatives.)