Im sad to say, but Im on my way, Goodbye Celebrity.

nancyshaw

Funny, the Infinity must really have gone downhill between October and November last year. :D:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

We were on her for the 15 day Panama Canal in October and found her to be in wonderful condition throughout.

We had no problem with bathrooms or anything else for that matter.

We found the food in the MDR to be great, as it always has been.

All the crew were terrific, providing great service and smiles throughout the journey.

We went on the cruise looking for a good time and a great adventure and found it.

I guess if we had gone looking for things to complain about we would have found those, as well (although it would have taken some real looking, IMHO.

The M class are going in for an "edgefication", not sure what that will mean. I do know that the Infinity is badly in need of a fix up. We were on it in May and November. The ship is very tired, although still beautiful. The bathrooms really need to be gutted.

The food in MDR was poor, yes my opinion, but what I liked that the Eclipse did not offer is every night there was something that was not on the menu that the waiter recommended and most of that was good.

The waiter was amazing, so even if the food was not very good, didnt want to hurt his feelings and ate it anyway and kept quiet about it.

We thought food and especially service was better on our Summit cruise in comparison to Silhouette’s. Especially service.

We ate at Select dining (my time dining) on Summit on 2nd floor of MDR and watched every day how on the first floor “classes” for waiters were going on in small groups of 5-6. No wonder any waiter who served us looked like a menu guru. Each of them during that week knew menu in the smallest details. It was a pleasure to watch their presentation. It was on 2015 Bermuda cruise. On Silhouette waiter just didn’t speak much and we hardly saw him, but our assistant waiter looked like he was deeply depressed and unhappy. We can live without service level of Summit’s waiters, but this made us really uncomfortable. I know we could’ve switched tables on Silhouette, we could’ve complained, but as we didn’t know what was going on with him, we didn’t want to. Also on Silhouette we had to constantly remind and ask to replenish our toiletries. This was something so un-Celebrity like.

Otherwise Silhouette was beautiful and pleasure to sail on.

Yes I agree, it definitely depends on many factors. We have had many amazing meals on Celeb ships over the years. Also discovered that if a new ship was coming out, the best staff were drained from other ships to fill the new one. Then it was awful with inexperienced staff including the Chef. But that was to be understood. So really we never know when boarding a Celeb ship what the dining in MDR will be like. We took our chances and most of the time it was ok or good. The three cruises in a row of "bad" made us want to try something else.

We used the three bad cruises in a row determination also, all on the Silhouette. The time span was 1 1/2 years. On the first cruise, the food in the MDR was nothing special, the service has declined from super to average, and all three of the new production shows were a waste of time. We thought it must have been a fluke so in six months we gave them another shot, the same results. In December of 2016 we got a super deal on Aqua class so we gave it one last shot. Blu food quality and service was at the level we had gotten in the past but the production shows the same so we didn't go. The service throughout the rest of the ship was the same. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice or three times, shame on me. We still think Celebrity might be the best out there, but sometimes the best isn't good enough.

We are going to give the suite life a shot this October but it will be on the Allure of the Seas. We are in a Grand Suite which is about 70 sq.ft. bigger than Celebrity's Sky Suite and the balcony is 25 sq.ft. bigger. Except for no drink package, the rest of the perks are the same. We are not big drinkers so the 3 1/2 hour Loyalty drinks and the suite bar open 11-11 with free been wine, soft drinks, etc. we will be o.k. All this for $130 per person per day less. We've been on the Allure six times so we are familiar with all aspects of the ship.

For us the #1 criteria is food. It's no longer up to snuff in the MDR and paying extra for 'specialty' restaurants nightly bumps the price up significantly. Everyone else is doing it is an excuse, not an argument for Celebrity to try and win the race to food mediocrity.

People post their warnings to others, not to change the cheerleaders minds or to try and take people away from Celebrity, but to set the expectations to realistic levels. For example: Set your expectations for the MDR to slightly better than Olive Garden at sea and you should enjoy Celebrity.

Food = Oceania

Do the bottom line "net daily rate" math comparison with Celebrity (particularly including the airfare/air credit factor). You will be surprised at O's value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The M class are going in for an "edgefication", not sure what that will mean.

Do you have a timeline for this? We're booked for a big cruise on Constellation in January 2019 so will be great if it is renovated before then. Better than the rumblings that it could be sold by then.

Do you have a timeline for this? We're booked for a big cruise on Constellation in January 2019 so will be great if it is renovated before then. Better than the rumblings that it could be sold by then.

I am not sure when, but it has been posted on CC. Maybe someone else will know.

Not this class. They are getting older but that's not a problem for me.

I want to be on one of them before they go away. Want to visit Millie or Connie to see their "ocean liner" specialty restaurants. I've heard that these iconic venues were replaced on the Infinity and Summit with the generic Tuscan Grille.

Not sure because I'm not following these ships closely.

A hint would be appreciated.

Many of these ships will be going into dry dock starting in Jan 2019. The Millie will be first. I'd expect at least some of the specialty restaurants to be changed to something else.

Edited by jkgourmet

Food = Oceania

Do the bottom line "net daily rate" math comparison with Celebrity (particularly including the airfare/air credit factor). You will be surprised at O's value.

I've done it. It may be price comparable in the suites and other high cost cabins. But those of us who sail in the cheap seats (inside, OV, and MAYBE a balcony - almost always a GTY reservation) - no, it's not even close.

Many of these ships will be going into dry dock starting in Jan 2019. The Millie will be first. I'd expect at least some of the specialty restaurants to be changed to something else.

I think I have read somewhere that Murano or Tuscan is going to be the Speciality restaurant to replace the dedicated restaurants on the M class.

Normandy was replaced a while ago on the Summit and now it is going to reappear on the edge with all the finery.

Maybe the new edge class ships will have the Speciality reastaurants from the M class ships, now that will be nice

I've done it. It may be price comparable in the suites and other high cost cabins. But those of us who sail in the cheap seats (inside, OV, and MAYBE a balcony - almost always a GTY reservation) - no, it's not even close.

I agree. Been to a few of the Luxury Line lectures and they all break out the pricing to show you how their price is compatible with mainline cruising. But they always show flying over in First Class (don’t need it...yet), taking all the tours, getting the drink packages, etc. And they always show their European 7-day Euro cruise price and compare it to another LIne’s 7-day cruise. Few people go on a European 7-day cruise, and when you compare a 14day or so, their price is way more. And they forget to mention that they always have their ‘premium’ tours, and ‘premium’ drinks, ‘premium’ dining at an extra cost.

My signature below shows we are trying Crystal - its a 7-day out of a local port so cost is not too much higher, so for us, it’s a chance to see if the ‘step up’ is worth it. Not that we’d move over exclusively to a Luxury Line since we’d have to cut way back on how many cruises we’d take each year.

It took my wife 10 years to talk me into going back to sea again (and paying for it!) after 20+years in the Navy, but now I’m the one planning cruises 1 or 2 years ahead!

Although I may (politely) disagree with the OP, this is a fun thread - we keep discussing so many ‘off topic’ subjects and it’s neat. We are all well aware of how subjective our opinons are about something as diverse as cruising with all its options and variations .

Den

To want a child free holiday does NOT mean you are a child hater. In fact, it is a personal attack for anyone to say so. Which we are constantly reminded not to make.

On an adult line there is NO wrong time of year. That was my point.

You're quite right, wanting a "child free holiday" in and of itself does not make you a child hater. But inferring that it was the fault of others that your cruise on a line that doesn't cater exclusively to an adults only clientele at a time of year that has a higher probability of kids being on board more like a "camp rather than a relaxing holiday", does make you a child hater. Those were your words and nobody forced you to post them.

If you're so adverse to seeing children on board, you've made the right decision to move over to Viking. May you have many many pleasant cruises ahead of you.

I'm sure that those of us that don't mind seeing kids on board regardless of whether they're ours or someone else's will continue to enjoy the lines you've decided to leave behind.

You're quite right, wanting a "child free holiday" in and of itself does not make you a child hater. But inferring that it was the fault of others that your cruise on a line that doesn't cater exclusively to an adults only clientele at a time of year that has a higher probability of kids being on board more like a "camp rather than a relaxing holiday", does make you a child hater. Those were your words and nobody forced you to post them.

If you're so adverse to seeing children on board, you've made the right decision to move over to Viking. May you have many many pleasant cruises ahead of you.

I'm sure that those of us that don't mind seeing kids on board regardless of whether they're ours or someone else's will continue to enjoy the lines you've decided to leave behind.

There have been many threads about how a cruise was negatively impacted because there was a large [hobbyist/alumni/nationality/company reward] group on board. Does reporting on that, or noting that you would rather avoid that, make you a “hater” of that group?

There have been many threads about how a cruise was negatively impacted because there was a large [hobbyist/alumni/nationality/company reward] group on board. Does reporting on that, or noting that you would rather avoid that, make you a “hater” of that group?

Thank you for this analogy.

Many of us have lives that are "camp" like all year round. To want to get away from that on a cruise does NOT make one a child hater. My hope is that you could rethink your comment.

At one time there were very few children on board celeb ships, there still are few attractions for them as there are on Royal Carib. But now many say it is their line of choice when travelling as a family. Others have said that in order to keep financially sound Celeb has welcomed families, that if they stayed as primarily an adult line, it would really hurt their bottom line. I certainly understood that.

Now there are lines that are adult only. How is it that they can stay financially sound when they turn away such a huge demographic. You may say they charge much more for that choice. I have repeatedly said, we are paying much less per night than we would be lets say on a Silhoette Carib cruise mid winter.

So there must be demand for such choices. Besides Viking O is building 2 new ships every year. They have 6 now, 2 more coming in 2021, 2022.

I also realize, I am making a huge mistake here, divulging/sharing all this. Already their ships are sailing full, prices never go down only up. If we really like the experience, I should have kept it to myself. I have shot myself in the foot by revealing the treasure to many, who otherwise may not have known.

Many of us have lives that are "camp" like all year round. To want to get away from that on a cruise does NOT make one a child hater. My hope is that you could rethink your comment.

At one time there were very few children on board celeb ships, there still are few attractions for them as there are on Royal Carib. But now many say it is their line of choice when travelling as a family. Others have said that in order to keep financially sound Celeb has welcomed families, that if they stayed as primarily an adult line, it would really hurt their bottom line. I certainly understood that.

Now there are lines that are adult only. How is it that they can stay financially sound when they turn away such a huge demographic. You may say they charge much more for that choice. I have repeatedly said, we are paying much less per night than we would be lets say on a Silhoette Carib cruise mid winter.

So there must be demand for such choices. Besides Viking O is building 2 new ships every year. They have 6 now, 2 more coming in 2021, 2022.

I also realize, I am making a huge mistake here, divulging/sharing all this. Already their ships are sailing full, prices never go down only up. If we really like the experience, I should have kept it to myself. I have shot myself in the foot by revealing the treasure to many, who otherwise may not have known.

Were do you actually get off asking Critic Members to rethink their comments......

And flying your little flag for Viking ....they will have x amount by 2022....

13 pages in enough already....Adios, Wiedersehen, Arrivederci....

Were do you actually get off asking Critic Members to rethink their comments......

And flying your little flag for Viking ....they will have x amount by 2022....

13 pages in enough already....Adios, Wiedersehen, Arrivederci....

The same place as asking you to rethink yours.

I have often rethought my comments, when obtaining more information and have said so.

As for "flying a flag for Viking", many here have recommended other options I certainly do not accuse them for flying any flags, instead I thank them for expanding all our knowledge.

Will be looking at booking a cruise on Oceania, as someone pointed out to me their advantages. I am grateful for their insight.

Also , I do not read topics that are of no interest to me, no matter how many pages nor would I respond to them.

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. I have been lurking here because I have been curious about Celebrity. It has been very interesting for me because we are currently sailing on Oceania and Regent. Since there has been as much attention focused on food here, As veterans of over 50+ cruses on everything that floats on water, both of these lines get it right. I've enjoyed reading your posts. Bon Voyage, All!

Mary

You know, I've understood and even agreed with some of the things you've said on this thread. But this one just makes me laugh my ass off.

I doubt very much that there is ANYONE reading this forum that has not heard of Viking River and/or Viking Ocean.

I have repeatedly said, we are paying much less per night than we would be lets say on a Silhoette Carib cruise mid winter.

And, as I and others have repeatedly said, that applies to the passengers that book suites and other high end cabins. Those of us who are content (or only able to afford) inside, OV or maybe a balcony are absolutely going to be paying more on Viking Ocean. So maybe you need to stop generalizing so much and recognize that not everyone can afford or wants to pay for Viking Ocean (or a suite on Celebrity, for that matter).

Edited by jkgourmet

You know, I've understood and even agreed with some of the things you've said on this thread. But this one just makes me laugh my ass off.

I doubt very much that there is ANYONE reading this forum that has not heard of Viking River and/or Viking Ocean.

And, as I and others have repeatedly said, that applies to the passengers that book suites and other high end cabins. Those of us who are content (or only able to afford) inside, OV or maybe a balcony are absolutely going to be paying more on Viking Ocean. So maybe you need to stop generalizing so much and recognize that not everyone can afford or wants to pay for Viking Ocean (or a suite on Celebrity, for that matter).

Your first point , all said tongue in cheek. Im sure most recognized that.

Your second, generalizing is all I can do. We would take an inside to save some bucks, but balconies, deluxe balconies and suites are all they have. All dine in the same venues, all specialty dining is included, but suites get more reservations. I am ok with that. If food is as good as they say in MDR, I dont need the specialty dining.

I only started cruising in 2006 and we went with P&O to the Caribbean and it was perfect (I suppose at the time it was)and after all the cruises we have been on since I think it still is. We have done several to the Caribbean and enjoyed them all.

We were only in our 40's when we started cruising so maybe we are still a little naive I don't know. We have done a cruise on an adults only ship but never again it was like a floating morgue but that's just my opinion. I have to say the food was fab on all the P&O ships we went on that's more than I can say for other cruise lines we have used. We have done several Celebrity cruises, Reflection, Eclipse, Millennium and more recently Constellation and I have to say the Constellation was the worst. I did notice a shortage of staff in most areas of the ship especially the MDR so meals were slow at being ordered and were just warm when you got them but not inedible but could have been better.

I would still sail with them again but I don't like the way its turning into a class system. I suppose if they have a few suites on board then that's fine if you can afford to pay, but we always go for the cheapest cabins as I can then cruise more often.

Did you read her comments that I was responding to?

We have had plenty of experiences where our cruise, taken at the wrong time of year was more like Camp than a relaxing holiday.
To each their own, but if her top priority is to get away from children, she really has nobody to blame but herself for booking a vacation that doesn't cater to adults only.

Im sorry Celebrity has attracted more and more children aboard even though it does not offer the exciting "stuff" of a Royal Carib experience.
I'm sorry, but companies constantly have to evolve to survive. Will everyone be in favor of every change made? Obviously not, but you can be pretty much guaranteed that those that bellyache how much better it was in the olden days, would be bellyaching just as loudly that it's the same ole same ole and "insert cruise line name here" is just milking their customers by not offering anything new. Our first cruise on X in 2002 cost us $6500 CAD for an inside cabin, where as our last cruise in 2017 on X got us a C1 cabin with the GO Best package for $4800 CAD. I'd have to be an idiot to not realize that something had to give. But at the end of the day the product was good enough in our opinion that we put down deposits on 2 more X cruises.

As for your analogy, it really depends on the scenario. If you don't want to be part of a cruise because half of it was chartered as a promotional giveaway for a car dealer? Then I'd say you're most likely not a hater. But if you decide you don't want to be on a cruise because there will be a large contingent of a particular group (eg. sexual orientation, race, religion), then yes there is a very good chance you are a hater.

In my opinion, she painted herself as a hater with the words she choose to use in her post and I decided to call her out on it. I've been very careful in my choice of words in order to be as respectful as possible.

Edited by cdn_tbird

Florence,

We sailed in an inside on Celebrity for years. We even went to Alaska in an inside. That way we could afford two cruises for the price of one, until one year they upgraded us to a balcony. Oh wow, it was just wonderful. That did it. Once we had that, it was very difficult to return to an inside. I dont so much like to sit on the balcony as the fresh air and being able to feel the sea.

Did you read her comments that I was responding to?

To each their own, but if her top priority is to get away from children, she really has nobody to blame but herself for booking a vacation that doesn't cater to adults only.

I'm sorry, but companies constantly have to evolve to survive. Will everyone be in favor of every change made? Obviously not, but you can be pretty much guaranteed that those that bellyache how much better it was in the olden days, would be bellyaching just as loudly that it's the same ole same ole and "insert cruise line name here" is just milking their customers by not offering anything new. Our first cruise on X in 2002 cost us $6500 CAD for an inside cabin, where as our last cruise in 2017 on X got us a C1 cabin with the GO Best package for $4800 CAD. I'd have to be an idiot to not realize that something had to give. But at the end of the day the product was good enough in our opinion that we put down deposits on 2 more X cruises.

As for your analogy, it really depends on the scenario. If you don't want to be part of a cruise because half of it was chartered as a promotional giveaway for a car dealer? Then I'd say you're most likely not a hater. But if you decide you don't want to be on a cruise because there will be a large contingent of a particular group (eg. sexual orientation, race, religion), then yes there is a very good chance you are a hater.

She painted herself as a hater with the words she choose to use in her post.

I think everyone that sails on Adult lines would be very amused to hear that they must be "child haters. "

People who sail those lines do want to get away from "camp" environments and Do want a relaxing holiday. That by no means paints them as child haters, no matter how many times you say it.

We have never sailed a line like that, but are looking forward to it.

You are saying that lines like Viking, Seaborn, Silversea, Azamara etc are "child hating " lines. Plenty of people on them, must all be child haters.

If a line says , no one under 18, must be a child hating line according to you. Perhaps for reasons of your own, you would not like for adult only lines to exist. I can only imagine what those reasons might be.

I think everyone that sails on Adult lines would be very amused to hear that they must be "child haters. "

People who sail those lines do want to get away from "camp" environments and Do want a relaxing holiday. That by no means paints them as child haters, no matter how many times you say it.

We have never sailed a line like that, but are looking forward to it.

You are saying that lines like Viking, Seaborn, Silversea, Azamara etc are "child hating " lines. Plenty of people on them, must all be child haters.

If a line says , no one under 18, must be a child hating line according to you. Perhaps for reasons of your own, you would not like for adult only lines to exist. I can only imagine what those reasons might be.

Nice twist. No, I didn't actually smear everyone that sails those lines as child haters. I called her out on a couple of specific comments she posted with respect to cruises she's taken on lines that don't cater to adults only. I'm happy to engage in an open discussion, but not if others such as you are going to try and twist my words in order to support their argument.

Also, a quick google search shows that contrary to your statement, Seabourn, Silversea, & Azamara are not adults only lines

Edited by cdn_tbird