Wifi ... fast enough for online games ??

plucasana

Well, sort of. The problem with gaming is NOT speed but latency. Because the packets make a round trip to a geo-synchronous orbiting satellite your ping times and latency are very high. It’s okay, but just okay for serious gaming.

Good luck, enjoy your cruise!

Never tried it for gaming, but have had no luck trying to stream from our home DVR or the like. Make video calls and while I can almost always get through, the connection is choppy and the audio is often delayed as much as 10 seconds (we timed it!) from the video. Doubt you would have a fun experience trying to game.

The issue is not with the intranet (ship), but the connection to the outside world (Internet). Satellite Internet has a 2-4 second delay in getting a response (aka latency), and anything above 500 ms is bad for web conferencing. 2 seconds=2,000 ms.

Short answer is no. Not for any gameplay where seconds count.

You can have latency spikes that go into minutes which would cause most mmo servers to sever your connection. On our last trip in March we had times where internet delayed for a few minutes randomly. Even simple mobile phone apps would stall and lose connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 years later...

The answer depends on the kind of games that you want to play. My DH plays some sort of a tank game that experienced lags in the middle of the day on sea days, but was ok at other times. Games like Candy Crush, Words with Friends, etc work fine. 

If you are a serious gamer, you will most likely be frustrated.   I have found the Internet on ships as being slow as compared to being at home.  It often reminds me of the old dial-up connection.  You should have better speeds late at night or when passengers are in port.

16 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

With the move to Always Included, just about everyone on the ship will have access to the internet, and that might slow things down even more.

Well said.  I have found it nearly impossible to get a decent speed on the first two sea days when leaving from Florida.  EVERYONE is online.  It was extremely frustrating when I had a limited number of minutes to use.  I wished for the days of Dial Up connectivity.