Cococay $2 charge for drinks with the package

We just returned today from Anthem and were on Coco Cay last Tuesday. We had the drink package and the package fully covered all purchases up to $13. We periodically were charged for drinks while on board, but credits were issued in short order.

Thanks! It was probably just a fluke which resulted in erroneous charges. I would like to know what RC says and if the OP gets the charges refunded though.:D

I am not usually self-referential, but I'm making an exception. ;)

This was a mistake. Someone, in error, told the servers to do this. It was wrong. It needs to be corrected.

panzafit, call this phone number and ask: 1. what the heck was going on? 2. fix it.

If you do not get someone helpful at that phone number, write to mbayley@rccl.com Someone on his staff will get back to you.

If RC does not promptly refund an additional flat service charge Contest w CC company; these are unauthorized and unadvertised charges.

MM, the servers just ring through what is programmed into the computer. Maybe food and bev Manager or an assistant can override and set pricing, but I doubt it is a service staff decision or change.

I said that.

Pure guess here...Are they now using locals to supplement ship staff as bartenders or other island workers? Maybe in prep for needing a lot more staff for the new and improved CocoCay? The $2 charge could be the way that they collect tips for the locals since tips are otherwise already built into the package cost.

More likely explanation, since we have not seen anyone else post a similar experience...this was a one time experiment (to gauge response) or mistake.

Just got back from our cruise. We were a party of 14 and all had the deluxe drink package. On cococay we split up. Some in cabana and some jyst regular spots. ALL of us were charged $2 per drink even though we all had the package. Even in the cabana area had to pay $2 for each beer. I was a bit surprised since I was expecting the package to cover it. I would have thought it was a oversight other then it happened to all 14 of us at all the bars on the island. Anyone else experience that? (I also found it odd the cabana cove bar couldn't make me a Coco Loco drink)

We were at Coco Kay this week and our group only saw a change if they got the large plastic cup drinks ($5) or the pineapple drinks. ($5-$7)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess RCI needs to pay for all the new upgrades planned for CocoCay.

This wasn't the case when in Labadee I don't believe but I wasn't the one drinking.

No "service" charge in Labadee in February on out Oasis cruise.

Ok, sorry it took so long to get back on here. Just wanted to make sure all 14 of us got our refunds before I reported back. I'm a little confused on their reasoning but something like on the island they have to charge the $2 to be able to ring up the drinks for inventory purposes although the $2 per drink charges were not supposed to actually be billed to us even though they were. Once I scanned in my statement and showed them that I was actually charged that $2 per drink they apologized and refunded all of us the amount charged at CocoCay. (the lady did state that this seemed to be an issue on our ship and sailing as I wasn't the first to call) I also suggested they supply the bartender in the cabana area with fruit juice so people can get CoCo Loco's in the future. Apparently it was only our day on the island that he didn't have fruit juice so I guess no one else needs to worry about this. So......if you see $2 charges while on CocoCay it is to ring up the drink but shouldn't be on your statement. If it shows up on your statement they will refund it.

Ok, sorry it took so long to get back on here. Just wanted to make sure all 14 of us got our refunds before I reported back. I'm a little confused on their reasoning but something like on the island they have to charge the $2 to be able to ring up the drinks for inventory purposes although the $2 per drink charges were not supposed to actually be billed to us even though they were. Once I scanned in my statement and showed them that I was actually charged that $2 per drink they apologized and refunded all of us the amount charged at CocoCay. (the lady did state that this seemed to be an issue on our ship and sailing as I wasn't the first to call) I also suggested they supply the bartender in the cabana area with fruit juice so people can get CoCo Loco's in the future. Apparently it was only our day on the island that he didn't have fruit juice so I guess no one else needs to worry about this. So......if you see $2 charges while on CocoCay it is to ring up the drink but shouldn't be on your statement. If it shows up on your statement they will refund it.
Thanks for getting back to us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. What ship?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Whew, glad to hear that!!! I was ok with buying the drinks package, & was going to be really annoyed if what you stated was actually going to be a new charge.

Of course now the question is why use $2 when you'd think that any dollar amount should work to record a transaction. Why not key in $1 or even 1 cent? But I guess it's best to just leave it alone since the refunds were issued. Their answer probably would be $2 is the smallest amount that can be entered in the bar computer.

Glad you got it all straightened out. Did you address the charges with Guest Services on the ship? I would like to think they would know it was a mistake and would refund the charges right away. But we all know that does not always happen.

Also, for what it's worth....they didn't start boarding until 12:30pm and our rooms didn't open up until 3pm, so basically weird issues throughout the trip. Still had a good time though.

Edited by panzafit

they didn't start boarding until 12:30pm and our rooms didn't open up until 3pm

This is common when they have to give the ship a good cleaning the timing also coincides with the current end of flu season in NA.

Thanks for the heads up about the drink charges, I'll keep an eye out in June on Enchantment as well then.

I did not have the drink package and on the island bought the drink special. Listed on the receipt were Tip AND Tax, the tax was $0.75.

Total was $12 and change forgot the actual price of the drink.

Don't know tax law if they have to collect on drinks served not dollars charged per drink.

In NY at the pier and sailing through the Chesapeake Bay tax was collected even when I was on drink plan per drink.