Staterooms for family of 5

Kesdee

Hi all, just looking a bit of advice please. With the exception of Disney, which we loved, and Royal Caribbean, which we didn’t love (Allure), do you know of any other cruise lines which have cabins which accommodate a family of 5? I have been looking for cruises but the kids have to be in another cabin so I’m getting charged for 4 adults plus one child, and the kids aren’t benefiting from the free drinks packages etc I am being charged for. Would appreciate your help, thanks

Princess has some...not all ships.

HAL's two newest ships Koningsdam and the soon to launched N. Statendam, each have a family suite.

You are being charged for a free drinks plan? Hmmm...

Two people in a room will be charged the standard rate, no matter what their age, because the space they occupy has certain automatic costs to operate that space. The drink package is a separate issue, and policies for those will vary by cruise line.

Thanks. Yea, on one cruise I looked at the only nearby cabins were on a premium floor which included drinks packages, massages etc, of which the kids could not avail.

RCI as well - Family Staterooms which hold 6 comfortably in the standard king, a lower single and upper Pullman in a "bunk room", and a queen fold out couch. Have stayed in them twice, once with with 5 and once with 4. Only drawback is a single bathroom, but that is not a big issue IMO.

We had an amazing room on Allure, which would have slept 6. The only thing we didn’t love the food in the main dining room or Windjammer. We wondered is the standard of food inversely related to ship size? ie is the dining better on smaller RCI ships...?

We had an amazing room on Allure, which would have slept 6. The only thing we didn’t love the food in the main dining room or Windjammer. We wondered is the standard of food inversely related to ship size? ie is the dining better on smaller RCI ships...?

Food is very subjective so hard to answer your question. You only mentioned MDR and Windjammer, did you try other options on the ship? Personally don't think food is that much different on any of the ships; perhaps slightly better on smaller ships, but also less choices. What was your major problem with the food - choices, quality, etc.?

This addressed regularly on the Family Cruising board here. Carnival has cabins for four with a cot added for the fifth, on Fantasy class ships, Sunshine, Triumph, Victory. On their Dream class ships (and Vista, I think) there deluxe OV cabins with twins, a couch and two uppers, and a split bath (two showers and sinks). Celebrity has family verandah cabins for 5 on the M class ships. EM

No - size does not matter. The kitchens are sized and staffed proportionately for the passenger load of each ship. While it will vary somewhat ship to ship with similar venues, in our experience it is pretty consistent - good or bad, based on your perspective - throughout the fleet.

I know you said you didn't like Royal but Allure and her sisters are often considered different to other ships in the fleet.

Look at other Royal ships not in that class.

Only certain lines do drinks cabin packages anyway so it may be worth researching other lines for connecting cabins.

Ships charge per cabin so whether you are an adult or a child they will charge the same for that cabin.

Five on a cruise. How difficult can it be?

Pretty gosh darn difficult if not on Disney. We are doing 5 in an oceanview cabin with balcony on the Oasis. It will be tight no doubt. But it is a better solution than splitting up the family and being separated by cabins, if not decks.

I can't find many cruises that will book 5 in a cabin, and even if they exist, it is cheaper to get two cabins. But then the 3/2 issue comes into play and most won't book that way.

Pretty gosh darn difficult if not on Disney. We are doing 5 in an oceanview cabin with balcony on the Oasis. It will be tight no doubt. But it is a better solution than splitting up the family and being separated by cabins, if not decks.

I can't find many cruises that will book 5 in a cabin, and even if they exist, it is cheaper to get two cabins. But then the 3/2 issue comes into play and most won't book that way.

Curious as to how you managed to book 5 in an Oasis ocean view cabin that is a standard cabin and not a suite.

Curious as to how you managed to book 5 in an Oasis ocean view cabin that is a standard cabin and not a suite.

Oasis and Allure can do it. Harmony and Anthem cannot.

The price point for the kids (16, 14, and 10) was great. Passenger 1 and 2 is $752 each for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise. Passenger's 3-5 is $219 each. For that price break, we will squish. lol

Oasis and Allure can do it. Harmony and Anthem cannot.

The price point for the kids (16, 14, and 10) was great. Passenger 1 and 2 is $752 each for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise. Passenger's 3-5 is $219 each. For that price break, we will squish. lol

Ok. Misunderstood. They are not standard ocean view staterooms. Usually referred to as family staterooms - much larger than a standard cabin. I believe they can sleep six. Didn't think there was a balcony though, unless it was a true suite.

Ok. Misunderstood. They are not standard ocean view staterooms. Usually referred to as family staterooms - much larger than a standard cabin. I believe they can sleep six. Didn't think there was a balcony though, unless it was a true suite.

It is a standard OV with balcony that sleeps five (solid diamond on the deck plan.) I think that it is 182 sq ft though I do try to not think about it. lol

It is a standard OV with balcony that sleeps five (solid diamond on the deck plan.) I think that it is 182 sq ft though I do try to not think about it. lol

Interesting - good to know - what's the cabin number? Reason for asking - my daughter and family are a party of five. They normally cruise Disney. However, when we have cruised Oasis they have gotten two connecting balcony cabins - only way they could do it - as the family ocean views (think there are only a couple) were already booked and RC would not allow five in a standard cabin.

We are in 11316. You have to call in to RCCI to have them look for cabins for five.

Thanks for the information. Will write that cabin number down. Yes, i knew you had to call to book - that's what we have always done. Probably will stick with two cabins - can't imagine one bathroom! However, you never know if the price is right. That's their choice - I usually get my own cabin and they get their own; but good to know!

Enjoy your cruise! Hope you are super organized! You will have to be!

I phoned Royal Caribbean and the guy told me all their ships have cabins for 5, IF booked early enough. My big gripe is paying adult fares for the first 2 kids in an adjoining cabin... and some cruise lines won’t even guarantee adjoining rooms at time if booking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I phoned Royal Caribbean and the guy told me all their ships have cabins for 5, IF booked early enough. My big gripe is paying adult fares for the first 2 kids in an adjoining cabin... and some cruise lines won’t even guarantee adjoining rooms at time if booking!!

All fares are adult fares, usually the third and fourth passengers are discounted. When you pick your cabins, just make sure they are connecting. On NCL we’ve always just booked connecting cabins.

Fares are per person - age doesn't matter. You may find 3rd and 4th person pay less if in the same cabin. I travel solo and solo fares are basically the same as for 2 people.

You may find two connecting cabins, putting 2 passengers in each cabin, to be cheaper than 4 people in one cabin. All depends on the type of cabin and pricing when you book.

Also, note the difference between connecting cabins and adjoining cabins. Connecting cabins have an inside door that can be opened to make it easier go between each cabin. Just the same as connecting hotel rooms. You do not need to go out in the hallway.

Adjoining cabins can be next door, across the hall, or very close by. Even if they are next door you have to go Out in the hallway to access each cabin.

Connecting cabins are much easier and more popular for people with young children. Sounds like you should be looking at connecting cabins not adjoining.

Adjoining cabins can be next door, across the hall, or very close by. Even if they are next door you have to go Out in the hallway to access each cabin.

If you are considering adjoining (next to one another) balcony or higher cabins, check to see if the balcony doors can be opened. When we travel with my siblings (usually 3 cabins in a row on Princess) we always open the balcony doors. Now I wouldn't necessarily suggest that if you are traveling with small children in the next room but for older kids and adults it works out great.