LIVE!!!!! From the REFLECTION TRANSATLANTIC - CHICAGOPAUL -

chicagopaul

Paul this is just what I needed to get me over the hump till my next cruise. I leave Friday for San Juan and a 14 night TA and an additional 2 nights in Rome. Luckily I am flying business class all the way. I wish I has the fortitude to do a blog like you, however I would probably fizzle out after a couple of day. Thanks again for such a wonderful review.

Norma

Miss you Norma! Thanks for enjoying my blog and I really hope we get to sail again soon. Enjoy your TA and your 2 nights in Rome. I'm jealous, I wish we could repeat it!

Paul hi; I stumbled on your YouTube post and followed it here. A couple of questions if I may:

- I think the Reflection just went through a refurb earlier this year. Not knowing if you've been on the Reflection before, I'm curious to know whether you noticed anything really different or if the ship just felt "rejuvenated"?

- Lightly curious to know if you've experienced any kind of homophobia on Celebrity? I assume you have not; it seems like a very welcoming company. I ask only because I've experienced some passive-aggressive behaviour on my Carnival cruises, ultimately deciding the "air" was just a little too stuffy when it comes to PDAs with my husband. :)

- Did you spend any time in Rome post-cruise? We're flying into Leonardo da Vinci about 30 hours before departure, but the logistics of seeing any of Rome while trying to stay in Citavecchia seem daunting. Any insights based on your experience?

I've quite enjoyed watching and reading your blogs... thank you!

I’ll start this cruise recap with something a friend... a

Thanks for following over here and checking out my blog. You've got some great questions so let me take a moment to give you some great answers.

This was our 7th time on the Reflection so we know it pretty well. We did not notice any changes after the refurb. I believe the dry dock was mostly for a combination of mechanical and basic maintenance (caulking, paint, etc.). What I can say though is I barely saw any signs of wear and tear on the ship. She was in excellent shape so I suppose the dry dock did help bring her back to looking new.

Homophobia: So we took our first cruise together in December of 2010, after only dating a few months. That was my first time on Celebrity. Since then we've always felt extremely comfortable whether it was dealing with crew or passengers. On this cruise we entered to find our beds separate. I think this was just a travel agent or a computer error. As we were leaving our room our room attendant Antonio ran into us and introduced himself. He asked us if we needed anything and before I could even mention the beds he actually brought it up and asked if they were OK the way they were or if we wanted them together. When Edward decides to go to bed early and I'm at the bar by myself the bartenders always ask about Edward and if he's sleeping or tired. We've always felt so included with Celebrity, even more so than we do on land here in Chicago which is extremely progressive.

Rome: Yes, so we spent 2 nights after the cruise in Rome. This was my 5th time in Rome, Edward's 4th time. In total we've spent well over 30 days in Rome. We love the city and know it well. Is this your first time visit Rome? If so, I highly recommend finding a decent basic hotel in Rome and then the morning of the cruise just taking a car service to the port. It does get a little pricey I suppose, but trust me, there is nothing like Rome at night and Rome in the morning. Shoot me a message on here or on my YouTube channel. Give me the details of sailing date, etc. and what you're looking to accomplish in Rome and I'll give you my thoughts.

Thank you both Paul and Edward for sharing your thoughts and photos. I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride with you and wish you safe travels home. When are you travelling again as I don’t want to miss out.

Jane

Thank you so much Jane for the kind words and following along. So our next cruise was scheduled for Nov 5th on the Reflection. We still have that scheduled. However, this morning Edward got to the office and figured that was too far away so we booked another one. Now we are traveling on the Equinox on August 25th for a 9 day southern caribbean cruise. It is the heart of hurricane season so a bit daunting, but we cruised these dates last year. Plus we purchased incredible airfare especially considering we're flying back on labor day.

Such a nice trip, kind of disappointed its over:(:(:loved all the pictures and stories. I would be interested in what you thought of economy. Safe travels home and looking forward to the next adventure.

Norma

So I'm sure you may already have read my economy review I posted the other day regarding AA. The irony is we fly Southwest a lot domestically, but when we don't we fly AA and always in first class. Our cruise in August which we just booked today by the way (August 25th on Equinox) we're flying first. But when flying longhaul Edward can get cheap lol. At the end of the day I was highly impressed with American Airlines' dreamliner and their crew in economy. The seat was not the most comfortable, especially for me with long legs, but the cabin was beautiful, the lighting was incredible (as you'd expect on a dreamliner), service was very good, food was pretty decent especially considering economy for a legacy carrier, and overall for the price we paid ($400pp one way through Choice Air non-stop FCO to ORD) I can't complain.

Paul, I always love following along on your and Edwards adventures but this was your best yet. Your summation made me teary eyed, so poignant and so much how many of us feel. We don't cruise or vacation nearly as often as you but I so look forward to every upcoming cruise and all that it entails.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your generosity; answering any and every question, making us feel like we are there and, most importantly, your compassion for your readers and everyone that you encounter. Enjoy your next 7 months and I look forward to traveling along on your next cruise adventure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much Robin for the heartfelt reply. It is very much appreciated. Well, the good news is we now do not have to wait 7 months. We just booked the Equinox for August 25th of this year. So....we're just under 4 months away from our next cruise!!!

What a perfect time I picked to find this thread and say hello to you both again!

Your thoughts and sentiments truly touched me because I also have had my own sappy moments that make life so worth living and enjoy every bit of it you can!

You two meet SO MANY people and I sure don’t expect you to remember me of the hundreds of martini bar residents! But when we met, shared stories, and people watched, I also had the pleasure of knowing the perfect bar tender mix beginning with Patu, Adrian, Kadek, Charul, Boon...

and you may recall being in Murano on a packed evening with lobster murano and my joking about my fire hazard hair spray! LOL

LOVE your reviews, and so appreciate the time you take to answer questions and advise all those in need of planning information! Myself included.

But these sappy wonderful thoughts you just shared is such a BIG part of the cruising, and a much better way to enjoy the treasures in our life.

Thanks SO MUCH! Talk to you again soon!

Debra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Debra! Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this, but thank you so much for commenting and YES! I do remember you. I believe when we met you at Murano we were seated to the right as you walk into Murano. I also believe I remember talking to you at the Martini bar multiple nights, but we'd typically sit at the back end of the Martini Bar (facing the atrium) and if my memory serves me correctly you'd occasionally order a glass of bubbly at the martini bar (or maybe bring one with you?).

Hopefully I have that correct!

Do all of the speciality donning restaurant offer a vegetarian option. I am vegetarian but my fiancé(soon to be husband) is not. I would hate for us to pay for dinning package if I won’t benefit from it.

I'm not sure I responded to this or not, so I apologize as I know you asked this a little while back. Here is my 2cents on this situation.

First, I'm not a vegetarian, I'm far far from it. However, I've met plenty on cruises who are and I've read lots on here from people who have very specific dietary needs.

Tuscan I believe would have the most options for you on the Reflection. Qsine, if they bring back their old menu, would as well. How many nights are you looking to buy? If you're not looking to pre buy and instead just buy a package on the ship, I'd encourage you to visit the restaurants once you board and speak to the hosts. Explain to them your situation and see what they offer and see if it fits your needs. Tuscan like I said will have the most options. If you do happen to eat fish, then the porch will have great options.

Murano will have the least options for you, but if your fiancé really wants to try it, they're amazing at customizing dishes with some notice. So I'd say go in there a day ahead of time. Tell them your situation, explain to them what you like and what you don't like in vegetarian meals and I bet you they'll take great care of you.

Personally, I don't have experience with this, but in traveling I've heard very positive things in the way Celebrity handles these situations, even in specialty dining, as long as you know what you want. For instance don't say "I'm vegetarian, make me something." Instead, say "Hey, I love mushrooms, I love heavy sauces, I love pasta with something leafy....etc."

I hope this helps! Also feel free to post on Cruise Critic and start a thread regarding specialty dining and vegetarians. I bet you'll get some great thoughts and insights from other vegetarians.

Southern Caribbean ——It is the heart of hurricane season so a bit daunting, but we cruised these dates last year. Plus we purchased incredible airfare especially considering we're flying back on labor day.

Paul,

According to my son’s experience of living and working in Aruba for a year, the ABC islands are out of the hurricane zone.

Also, if you look at the islands which were hit last year, Aruba, Bonaire & Curaçao were not effected.

The only thing we had to be aware of when we visited him from a cruise was ‘island time’ which was half an hour different from ship’s time.

I would love to repeat a Southern Caribbean cruise. Enjoy.

Paul,

Thank you a lot for sharing the video of Petit Chef. Unfortunately, it pretty much confirmed my thoughts that it was not going to be our cup of tea. We lament the passing of the old Qsine, which we were really looking forward to revisiting on our Reflection cruise next year. Hey ho, things pass and move on! We just hope there is plenty of room left in Murano when we board.

Also, thanks for your excellent cruise reporting: very enjoyable and informative.

my wife and I are also on this cruise! we hope to meet Edward and you sometime during the cruise. what cabin type this time? we have a sv with the wide veranda!

Capt. Kate will be our captain! now the wait continues:mad:

What a wonderful review, thanks so much for taking us along. We fly out a year from now for our first time on the Reflection & you've assuaged my concerns about her seeming crowded compared to the other S class ships we've sailed on.

Thanks again for allowing us to travel along with you. :)

Paul, thanks for another wonderful live review! I truly appreciate the time and creativity you put into your reviews. We sailed on the Reflection eastbound TA last year, and we felt the same about the crew. They were the best crew we’ve encountered thus far. Here’s hoping we run into you and Edward at the Martini Bar on a future cruise:D:D

Cheers, Michelle

They are truly amazing...so many go “overboard” to help! Just had to use that term, as I am at breakfast and everyone is helpful’

Paul, thanks for another wonderful live review! I truly appreciate the time and creativity you put into your reviews. We sailed on the Reflection eastbound TA last year, and we felt the same about the crew. They were the best crew we’ve encountered thus far. Here’s hoping we run into you and Edward at the Martini Bar on a future cruise:D:D

Cheers, Michelle

They are truly amazing...so many go “overboard” to help! Just had to use that term, as I am at breakfast and everyone is cheerful!!!

Hi Debra! Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this, but thank you so much for commenting and YES! I do remember you. I believe when we met you at Murano we were seated to the right as you walk into Murano. I also believe I remember talking to you at the Martini bar multiple nights, but we'd typically sit at the back end of the Martini Bar (facing the atrium) and if my memory serves me correctly you'd occasionally order a glass of bubbly at the martini bar (or maybe bring one with you?).

Hopefully I have that correct!

Wow I can’t believe with the many many people you meet that you remembered me and that cruise!!! It was a terrific mix of people that “clicked”, great music and the best spot on the ship to meet friends every night.

Yes, you do remember me!!! Worries me a bit that I wonder what I did that was so “memorable?” Maybe better NOT tell me!!! LOL. And I think you were sitting with JohnnieT in Murano. I have no doubt that I put a big dent in Celebrity’s champagne inventory. I do my best every cruise!

Thank you for sharing so much of this cruise, your observations and more important- your heart and soul! As many commented, taking the time to share what you saw and felt watching the couple in the theatre, the emotions of the beauty in favorite ports and enjoyment of the local foods and wine.... you have a special talent you should pursue!

Sincerely hope to see you both soon on another cruise ??? I’m off on a TA in Nov and 2 inaugural cruises BTB in Dec on the new Celebrity Edge. Sending you and Edward a hug and maybe our paths will cross again soon! Safe Travels!

I'm not sure I responded to this or not, so I apologize as I know you asked this a little while back. Here is my 2cents on this situation.

First, I'm not a vegetarian, I'm far far from it. However, I've met plenty on cruises who are and I've read lots on here from people who have very specific dietary needs.

Tuscan I believe would have the most options for you on the Reflection. Qsine, if they bring back their old menu, would as well. How many nights are you looking to buy? If you're not looking to pre buy and instead just buy a package on the ship, I'd encourage you to visit the restaurants once you board and speak to the hosts. Explain to them your situation and see what they offer and see if it fits your needs. Tuscan like I said will have the most options. If you do happen to eat fish, then the porch will have great options.

Murano will have the least options for you, but if your fiancé really wants to try it, they're amazing at customizing dishes with some notice. So I'd say go in there a day ahead of time. Tell them your situation, explain to them what you like and what you don't like in vegetarian meals and I bet you they'll take great care of you.

Personally, I don't have experience with this, but in traveling I've heard very positive things in the way Celebrity handles these situations, even in specialty dining, as long as you know what you want. For instance don't say "I'm vegetarian, make me something." Instead, say "Hey, I love mushrooms, I love heavy sauces, I love pasta with something leafy....etc."

I hope this helps! Also feel free to post on Cruise Critic and start a thread regarding specialty dining and vegetarians. I bet you'll get some great thoughts and insights from other vegetarians.

Thank you so much for giving your 2 cents on it.

I was on this cruise ( nice meeting you, Paul! You weren’t at the martini bar late one night- it was empty!- when my friend and I did our pole dance show! Ha,ha! We had to work off our late but wonderful Murano meal )

My DH and I walked the ship daily, various times, and I was amazed that I saw someone shooting hoops every time! Fun to watch as you make the bow turn.

(have read that future renovations will turn this into a suites only lounge. Probably a better use of space; hope they keep the walking access though I imagine that might impede on the privacy of the lounge? hope they also keep the solstice deck open to all... a great place, but underused.)

————————————————-

After a little meandering we ended up at the basketball and arcade. Nothing says fun like a few poorly coordinated drunk guys in suede loafers and jackets playing basketball.

484c80d42f35dabee1c2d02a07c1b064.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it is 1am here and I’m crawling into bed. The bars were dead tonight! But it turns out so many bartenders remember us or know of us. I could think of worse problems to have! This shows the continued great service of celebrity. I’ll point them out tomorrow and in the morning I’ll follow up with our meal at Lawn Club and after dinner activities. Again I’d like to continue to thank all of you fir following along here, on Instagram and for commenting. It really means a great deal and please feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of!!

I am excited to relive our cruise through your review. Thank you so much. I know we waved at each other but didn’t get a chance to chat. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s a bit lonely by the pool this morning.

e84b158263ea2d6d6b6b6ac689f8c3bf.jpg

f77219b36224412edd4950b2684da547.jpg

Before dinner last night we hit the martini bar, but early (around 5:45) as we had an early dinner at 7. We met up with our new friend Nina who I’m sure many of you may actually know. The bartenders continue to hit it out of the park.

f4c3ce3cbfb4b8831219ce9a21f4e3d7.jpg

Last night, friends who we sailed with before who just happened to be on this cruise, invited us to their suite along with two other couples for dinner. They ordered appetizers and sushi from all the specialty restaurants and we had dinner and watched a movie. It was a perfect dinner and a movie night. They were in a Royal Suite so we had just the right amount of space. Of course seeing the RS again started bringing back memories! Ugh, how I wish we had that space again. After dinner the butler came and brought cookies and blueberry cobbler from Lawn Club Grill. I wish I would’ve taken photos as it was all a very nice spread.

After dinner we headed to the martini bar since they had their big party with dancers behind the screens. Can you remember the name? It’s Society X presents “Mirage.” The martini bar was actually very crowded for a change! Everyone of all ages seemed to be having a great time.

b6b4e14095f8f352b1ea995fd421835b.jpg

After martini bar we hit the casino. Single deck blackjack. I was even after an hour of play and all of us at the table decided to go to sky lounge. Despite the fact the bar looked closed with bottles put away, etc they were still serving drinks. After a short stint there we realized none of us like to dance and instead we prefer giving our money to casinos. So like good habitual degenerate gamblers we went back to the casino. No dealer was at the single deck table but they brought one out for us. Let’s just say I’m no longer even.

After that wonderful experience we went back to the room. Checked social media and fell asleep.

We adore NINA. sailed with her several times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Paul and all other Reflection Cruisers,

We'll be on the Reflection at the end of May on an 11 Night cruise. We're considering purchasing the $200 Photo package and want to know if there are a lot of backgrounds daily or are there only backgrounds on the days at sea (We only have 2 sea days)? Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Cat

Hello Everyone! It has been a few months since I've been on here but it is that time again for me to start another live blog and I am thrilled to be doing so.

Today is Thursday April 12th and Edward and I will be flying out this evening to FLL in order to join the Reflection tomorrow morning for her Atlantic crossing.

This will be our 3rd transatlantic cruise and 2nd one going eastbound. In total this makes our 14th....I think 14th...Celebrity Cruise. For what it is worth, we are Elite Plus on Celebrity. For those of you who do not know us, we are in our 30s which would make us on the "younger" end of the age spectrum with regard to transatlantic cruises. We're from Chicago so even though it might be a little cool towards the end of the cruise in Europe it will definitely be better than the weather we're currently having here.

If you followed my last cruise blog in December you would know that we stayed in a Royal Suite. Unfortunately that was not in the cards for us this time and we're staying in a regular verandah cabin :eek:

Add Ons Purchased

Premium Drink Package for both of us

9 Night Specialty Dining Package

Once on board we will purchased the unlimited internet for both of us

We have not eaten in the MDR in quite some time, but we definitely will this cruise and we will be sure to report back and give you our unbiased opinions. We also haven't stayed in a standard balcony cabin in a couple years so it will be interesting to see if we notice any changes.

As usual my goal is to post 10 photos each day along with the daily program as well. I'll also be posting photos and video more instantly to my Instagram account, so if you have Instagram you can follow me. My name on there is PaulKBlackburn if you see a guy in a suit as a main photo and then a bunch of photos of liquor and food you've found the right profile!

I want to encourage all of you to ask as many questions as possible! What I have really enjoyed about writing these live blogs is it forces me to sit down and recount my previous day. I find that in doing so I appreciate my vacation more and find that I "slow down" just a little bit to take a look around and realize how lucky we are to be on such an amazing holiday. So please ask away! If you want to know what type of merlot they have by the glass, just ask. If you want to know who is working at a certain venue just ask.

If you're reading this and you are going to be on the cruise PLEASE STOP BY AND SAY HELLO! We love talking to everyone and I really enjoy gaining everyone's insights into cruising and of course life in general.

Below is a quick little youtube video of me explaining what I wrote above and a good way for you to put a face and voice to this live blog. Thank you to everyone who follows along!

Purchased the photo package Best bargain of the cruise. At least four different photo opportunities daily, chic nights more, each with multiple poises . Plus photographers take pics at all ports when you exit the ship including your boarding pictures. In addition multiple random and dining photos are taken daily. If you buy the picture package and are in the shot, you can include friends and relatives. Just fun to take daily. The pictures are now sent to you electronically from celebrity a few days after the cruise. you can download and do what you want with them. They also give you hardcopies of the pictures.