LIVE!!!!! From the REFLECTION TRANSATLANTIC - CHICAGOPAUL -

chicagopaul

Then after that we took a short nap. We hit the martini bar per the usual before dinner and then decided on Tuscan. We walked up just before 8 and had no issue getting a table. We had José as our waiter again and he was fantastic.

We had the cheese and meat board to start. Then a couple Cesar salads. For entrees I had the branzino and Edward had filet. Edward also had a half order of lobster pasta and I had the cacio pepe as a side (olive oil and pepper).

b1141300c1615a135639d45231cf0bf3.jpg

7c3d1e030022ac400812010be2c8a693.jpg

bf42d3aba50ede4a19d7c1f1108df578.jpg

29fd7b3bc6c6aa33c5c1316d837cc466.jpg

1b936c200a687f13141bceba5af10d5f.jpg

Dessert above. Spumoni. Edward couldn’t wait as you could see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the cruise is starting to draw to a close please note my review is not fully done and I have lots more i would like to share if you’re willing to read it! I also have lots of question follow up to cover.

Also if you’re at all interested I wouldn’t mind including a review of our two days in Rome post cruise. If this is something that you think might be interesting I’ll gladly post it here.

Yes, please continue! It's always a sad day when one of your reviews is completed (almost as sad as it is for you when you disembark the ship on the last day).

I will be interested to see where you are staying in Rome. My friends and I will be there next May (yep, 2019) and are already having a hard time find "decent" accommodations. Two hotels that we were considering are already sold out. We are now scrambling to find somewhere to stay pre-cruise.

Thanks.

Susan

I confess I've been following along daily, enjoying this live blog very much but haven't commented up to now! Please do continue when you get to Rome...have been there a couple times and would love to see it through your eyes! Thanks again for all the pics and details and keep up the great work!

Cathy

Thank you so much for all the kind words. I’ll happily continue.

For those who asked Rich Spacey will be on board until May 28th. At which point he is off for two months and then is coming back to the Reflection (as of now). I finally had a chance to meet him today when Valentina introduced me. He’s a very nice guy and clearly enjoys his work. Believe it or not this is our first time sailing with him!

A couple hours ago I enjoyed my last drink at Sunset with bartender Arya. Edward was napping. The bar was empty so he came out from behind the bar, sat next to me and we chatted about his time with Celebrity, about challenges with work, crew life, etc. perfect way to end the afternoon. He’s a fantastic guy so if you’re on the Reflection look for him.

d661760efb99216191a9add317ccbc5b.jpg

Great review! Glad to hear you'll be continuing it when in Rome. Am interested to see how you like Corsica (Ajaccio). My partner has family who live in Bastia on the northeast coast of the island and we've been to visit quite a few times over the years, in fact we will be going back this coming June. I love it there!

Another vote for you to keep going on this thread, both with your overall review of the trip as well as your stay in Rome!

This has been such a wonderful diversion from my day-to-day routine and I’m going to have withdrawals when it’s over.

You are a wonderful writer and I feel like I have travelled right along with you and Edward. Thanks for including all of us on this trip, Paul!

I am so disappointed you will not be on the next leg as my two sisters have flown out today to pick the Reflection up tomorrow and we were all thinking you would still be on it. Never mind, thank you so much for your thoughts and photos it has been very entertaining reading them - now what I going to do in the evening! Looking forward to the next episode.

Jane

Thank you once again, Paul, for your entertaining posts and pictures. I really enjoyed them and will miss them. But of course I will follow to the very end. ;-)

Hope to read from you again...and maybe we'll meet on a ship one day. ;-)

Christine

I, too, thought you were on the next leg. Yes, please tell us what you do in Rome. Last time we were there, we visited Ostia Antica which is near the airport. If you run out of things to see, you might want to see it but I'm sure you have your plans made by now.

We have so enjoyed your travelog. You have a wonderful gift for capturing and expressing all your sailing adventures! The pictures have been fantastic, too. We sailed just ahead of you on the Reflection (Apr 2-13) and captured your cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale while we strolled along the beach. We trust you have enjoyed her as much as we did. Looking forward to your Rome adventures!

583918494_FtLauderdalepost-cruiseourshipleavesonhertrans-Atlantic(2).thumb.jpg.756faa94f1c98906f6b824299d6b3c26.jpg

Thanks from me too Paul. I've learnt more from you than I do from Valentina.

I'll be on Reflection in 12 weeks time, and will hunt down the bar

tenders you've praised. Rest assured I will check every bar!

So there's a British pub theme night in the Sky lounge tonight? What a way to end the cruise.:rolleyes:

Have a safe uneventful flight(s) back home.

Peter

Edited by Esprit
Typo

Oh how I wish I was still staying on for another cruise. Right now that would make me so happy.

Tonight we did dinner at Sushi on 5. Since we had the dining package we could use $35 per person and we did. We actually went $2 over. We ate way too much! But it was all very good. The best however, was the lobster ramen. Absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I’m trying to post some photos but Tapatalk is not cooperating right now (the app I use for posting) so I’ll try again later.

One item I wanted to mention was the tender operation today in Corsica. We ended up staying on board. We just wanted a quiet day before we had to disembark so we could enjoy the ship one last time.

Today the ship docked in the morning for a couple hours. Originally we were going to have to tender all day but we ended up docking early so people who didn’t want to tender could off around 8/8:30 and they could walk back on the ship by 10:15am. Anytime after that they’d have to tender since MSC Fantasia had the dock reserved.

Tender boats were run by local operators. Unfortunately they didn’t do a good job and some people had to wait over 2 hours for a tender. The captain announced soon after departing that drinks would be free anywhere on the ship from 8 to 9pm due to this issue (including all bars and dining rooms). So I guess it was a good thing we decided to stay on board.

Another thanks for the review. We're boarding in a few weeks, and all you did is make me more anxious to get on board.

Totally understand the last day on board sadness, the only bad part of a cruise....

I’ve finally caught up with your review, Paul, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it! Your review was so detailed, with all kinds of interesting details on food, entertainment, crew, ports, room service, etc. Love your attitude to appreciate the good, note what needs improvement (without letting it spoil your cruise), and your total enjoyment of every day and the people around you! We did a WB TA on the Eclipse from Southampton in November 2014, and loved it, despite stormy seas changing our itinerary. We loved the sea days and met wonderful people. Your review has been a lovely reminder. Looking forward to reading your post-cruise posts.

Vivien

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tonight we did dinner at Sushi on 5. Since we had the dining package we could use $35 per person and we did. We actually went $2 over. We ate way too much! But it was all very good. The best however, was the lobster ramen.

We board Solstice in a few days and will head straight to Sushi on Five for lobster ramen for embarkation lunch! My favorite on the menu along with the Agave cocktail w/jalapeño!