Canine of the Seas....yet another dog on ship

Are you serious? Newer vets have had to watch people get killed/be in active combat zones too. Serving in the military in any capacity is exactly the opposite of being entitled since they're potentially giving up their lives for you.

As a female veteran, the daughter of a retired veteran who served in WWII, Korea War, and Vietnam; a sister of a retired Vietnam and Desert Storm, a wife of a retired veteran of Vietnam, and a friend to many, many vets, almost every generation have seen war and suffer from PTSD. It is just that it is now recognized as a real problem. It is not generational at all.

Also, as a female vet - PTSD can occur from sexual abuse that happened while in the service. It is just harder to prove and as of yet it is not recognized by VA. And you must prove that it happened years ago when you just couldn't tell anyone or you were "labeled" and even more discriminated against. After all, when I went into the service - women were either "lesbian or a whore". A typical man's approach to women at that time and no reflection on those who are lesbian or have been caught up in human trafficing of females.

Edited by mechcc
clarify

Why has this conversation broken off into well ...basically a pissing contest. No dogs, only trained dogs, dogs if you're a vet no matter well behaved or out of control, I deserve it more than you because ...

Folk stop wearing your feelings on your fingertips.

We need to be civil to each other and courteous and defer to others and not be demanding. Stop treating others as ...I deserve it you don't because blah, blah, blah ...

By the way someone cannot offend you by what they say or do ...we can only take offence and that is something we can control.

I believe this thread was started because of untrained animals (the animal is not untrained, their owners are as per Caesar Milan the dog whisperer ...or something like that.)

Remember everybody won't or doesn't click as a unit or group, some of us just cluck.

Ramona

Did you have the plates on the floor or did the big scary poodle jump up on the table?

Sam the poodle was not a miniature or toy it was a standard poodle (That's the name of the breed). An adult standard poodle is at 15" minimum, and up to 24" from paw to shoulders (doesn't include the neck and head) and weighs between 45lbs to 75lbs so yes it can lick or eat the food off of someone's plate that is on the table.

Ramona

As a female veteran, the daughter of a retired veteran who served in WWII, Korea War, and Vietnam; a sister of a retired Vietnam and Desert Storm, a wife of a retired veteran of Vietnam, and a friend to many, many vets, almost every generation have seen war and suffer from PTSD. It is just that it is now recognized as a real problem. It is not generational at all.

Also, as a female vet - PTSD can occur from sexual abuse that happened while in the service. It is just harder to prove and as of yet it is not recognized by VA. And you must prove that it happened years ago when you just couldn't tell anyone or you were "labeled" and even more discriminated against. After all, when I went into the service - women were either "lesbian or a whore". A typical man's approach to women at that time and no reflection on those who are lesbian or have been caught up in human trafficing of females.

I still can't believe that the VA won't recognize it, especially since it's universally accepted by psychiatrists. -_- Thank you for your service, and I am so sorry you have PTSD from your experiences, whether they happened in the military or otherwise. Nobody should have to go through that.

I have seen service animals on board and have never had a problem with it whatsoever. Trained service animals don't approach people, don't lick or eat off plates and don't poop on the deck, in the hallways or in the cabin. Our 3 little rescues are all trained to poop either outdoors on grass or on a pp pad in inclimate weather. We love them dearly and they are the only reason we are willing to leave the cruise and hurry home. While we hate leaving them at home (with an in-house petsitter), they would be so miserable on a cruise ship that we would never inflict this on them. They like their routine. Even the slight motion of the ship would be unnerving for them. The smells and all the people just outside our cabin door would make them nervous. They love to approach strangers for a nice pet and act as if they are love starved. I'm pretty sure they would approach people that would not be ready to give them a good scratch behind the ears or their belly when they roll over with their "c'mon, you know you want to scratch my belly" look in their big eyes. They think everyone is put on earth to play with them. Service dogs would never do this. They are working dogs. Service dogs don't stand on their hind legs waiting on a treat off people's plate of food, let alone slurp food from someone's plate. There's a big difference in missing your dog, therefore you find a way to bring it on board and a trained service dog.

I have PTSD and have an anxiety disorder, my companion animal helps me out a lot. My companion animal is well behaved. Would you rather experience one of my episodes if I didn’t have my dog or not experience an episode because I had my dog? It is your vacation after all, isn’t a cruise about relaxation and being stress free? Shouldn’t we all enjoy that?

Interesting choice of screen name. Not sure what it might mean.

Anyway, I'm going to be the bad guy here.

If you believe that you may have an "episode" on a cruise, I would suggest a different type of vacation.....one where there aren't people who may have allergies to pet dander, or where you can "experience an episode" and have your pet at hand. We all take vacations to relax without affecting others'. Regardless of how well behaved your pet is, cruises are not meant or designed around animals. They are designed for humans.

I only seem to have this issue with RCCL. Last July I was on HOS. Beautiful ship, marred by peoples' insistence they bring their pets aboard (may have seen the couple with the dog in a baby carriage at the meet and greet).

Before I get absolutely annihilated for my views (which I'm sure I will), I've had pets....3 dogs, 2 cats, goldfish, turtles and probably more I have forgotten about, I am able to control my allergies with prescription drugs. I love animals. After the kids were grown and out of the house (with the pets in tow), after a total cleaning, my allergies went away. I no longer needed to take the drugs. Yippee!

Then, allergies started again....on the HOS cruise. Why? Because of people insisting on bringing their pets.

Without your pet, you are prone to episodes. With your pet in tow, I go into a sneezing, coughing and teary eyed fit.

Bash me if you want, but my happy vacation trumps your desire to bring a pet.

Love my pup but on a cruise....the sights, sounds and other people, it would throw him into a frenzy ! Plus he is a pet...a member of my tribe but still a dog! In March heading to POM there was a lady clutching her Yorkie ish puppy telling everyone it was a service animal...really cute dog but service for....it certainly was not quite the same as the trained dog of my blind coworker who unless you know he is there makes not a peep all day long. Think of the poor cabin stewards who now have to deal with a room and mess made by a dog, wait for owners to return if they ditch the dog for the day and then deal with neighbors complaining on the noise of a dog. My brother works for a large hotel chain and said they are struggling with how to handle after many barking dog, maid attacks and repair issues without alienating guests...it is everywhere.

I’m boarding Rhapsody on Sunday. I wonder if I can bring my dressage horse as a “comfort animal”...can you imagine?

If you bring your dressage horse I’m going to bring my hunter/jumper on my September Pacific Coastal! He’s such a big sweetheart and comfort to me!

But, on a serious note, on my last RCCL cruise last June, we witnessed a ‘comfort dog’ lunge at a passenger as they (the passenger) were exiting the ice skating rink. The woman who owned the dog had him sitting next to her on the aisle seat without a leash or restraint of any kind. We hope that he reported that.

I would love to be able to have our 3 cats on cruises with us 😄😸I have no issue with it. As long as they are well cared for and cleaned up after.

I was just thinking the same thing! Emotional support cats...I need to bring mine;p

Last time this subject came up someone posted that a dog had been left unattended in the cabin next door to them in and out of the balcony door..barking all day while the owner was off the ship. They called guest services and were told they really couldn't do anything about it...other than tell the owner when they returned that that shouldn't have been done....A bit too late after all day barking.

Not sure that's much different than leaving three unattended kids in the cabin next door to play all night... the oldest looked to be about 10 and the parents were a door down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you bring your dressage horse I’m going to bring my hunter/jumper on my September Pacific Coastal! He’s such a big sweetheart and comfort to me!

But, on a serious note, on my last RCCL cruise last June, we witnessed a ‘comfort dog’ lunge at a passenger as they (the passenger) were exiting the ice skating rink. The woman who owned the dog had him sitting next to her on the aisle seat without a leash or restraint of any kind. We hope that he reported that.

Can I join too? Former Hunter/Jumper princess turned Dressage Queen.. just kidding but I would totally join this club w horse in tow.

My deepest respect for real service dogs on the 7 seas.

Other than that I think of opening a new business, while at sea, maybe for a "boring" relocation or transatlantic or solo cruisers: "rent-a-comfort-dog". If my prices are too high why not "share-a-comfort-dog". "We will outfit any dog looking like a comfort dog with proper suit labeling".

"Satisfaction guaranteed"

Just boarded the Navigator today. Ran into yet another guy with a dog.

On the first sighting, the dog had no leash and the owner was carrying the dog in his arms. Did not see any special id or jacket/vest on the dog either, identifying it as an animal of assistance. The dog looked like the one that I saw on the Anthem in February, in the concierge lounge, but the owner looked different. This dog was a little fidgety.

The second time I ran in to them, the dog had a leash. I do not think they are the same duo as the one I saw on Anthem or the one that was banned from the Grandeur, but I may be wrong about the identity.

Let's hope this one does not poop at the front desk! :D

Hi,

It sounds like you've had a "yucky" experience with a dog on a cruise ship. That's terrible & reflects so badly on the dog owner in question. Most companion dogs are true working support animals. No owner of working dog would not poop & scoop, or clean up after their animal, not knowingly anyway.

If any dog is well behaved, quiet, well socialized, hypoallergenic & generally sweet, I for one have no problem with dogs, working or not, on cruise ships. Please don't attack me for expressing an alternative opinion.

Having travelled in dog-friendly Europe & the UK vs anti-dog attitude North America, I have found that dogs & travel add to our experience not the other way round. As long as owners "Scoop the Poop" & use designated dog walking spots for "Pee Breaks" I'd love to see more of the best behaved dogs on board. J.

Canine of the Train ...Dogs are not supposed to be on public transportation in NYC except if they are service dogs all others, including ESDs, are to be in carriers. I've seen dogs on retractable leashes and not retracted ...roaming all over the subway car. A Pit Bull attacked a passenger ...https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pit-bull-dog-attack-new-york-city-subway-caught-on-video-investigation-today-2018-04-25/

NYPD is looking for the dog owner and the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) also.

If the woman sues ...she's going after the city. The same thing can happen on a Cruise Ship.

Ramona

I would love to be able to have our 3 cats on cruises with us 😄😸I have no issue with it. As long as they are well cared for and cleaned up after.

AMEN! I'd rather have that dog on board than some of the VERY messy humans I see. I've seen relief areas for dogs on board - usually a spot of astroturf tucked away somewhere. I do realize some people will push the envelope with bringing dogs on board, but that's just the way it is. I've never seen more than one "service animal" on any of our cruises.

Many older vets like myself(Cold War/Desert Storm ) Think these newer vets with PTSD dogs are Self Entitiled.$@#&%

I sincerely thank you for your service. However, this sentence is ridiculous. I know a high ranking top secret clearance special forces man that trains PTSD dogs for vets. These amazing dogs can give people the ability to live a normal life. What wonderful progress has been made to show appreciation to our vets for their sacrifices. Certainly recognizing PTSD and helping these vets is a lot more productive than simply throwing them back into society maladjusted. But then the older vets had high risk of alcoholism, domestic abuse, homelessness, depression and suicide. How disappointing that a vet would consider another vet entitled because they were brave enough to ask for help. My AF vet husband also an AF "brat" saw his father die of alcoholism from PTSD from Vietnam and Korea. These dogs are a true gift.

I've seen some amazing legit TRAINED service dogs on cruises. They were well behaved, calm and impressive to watch. I've seen a few lap dogs that certainly didn't belong and I consider those people to be selfish and entitled. Our dogs go to a great doggie camp and we miss them terribly but I would never consider them appropriate on a cruise. I wish Royal would step up and deny boarding to the people that abuse this but I applaud those whose service animals have given them the ability to function in the world.

Sam,

The poster made no indication That he/She/It was in the Armed Forces or was a Disabled Vet....PTSD can be acquired by Sexual Assault,Tramatic Episodes Etc...Many older vets like myself(Cold War/Desert Storm ) Think these newer vets with PTSD dogs are Self Entitiled.$@#&%

Mike

Thank you for your service, but this post is self-serving and rude. You have no idea what someone is going through inside or out, which means you cannot judge a book by its cover. That goes for everyone. The issues people experience are none of your business. And whether that animal is helping a person or not is also none of anyone's business. You do you and let others do themselves. If the animal is bothering you in any way, take it up with the ships management. I cannot begin to understand why this is such an issue for people on this board.

I have PTSD and have an anxiety disorder, my companion animal helps me out a lot. My companion animal is well behaved. Would you rather experience one of my episodes if I didn’t have my dog or not experience an episode because I had my dog? It is your vacation after all, isn’t a cruise about relaxation and being stress free? Shouldn’t we all enjoy that?

^^ This. You have every right to have your companion with you. I'm 100% in support of trained/ well behaved dogs who provide such support to their owners on cruise ships or anywhere.

I think the issues come when people take advantage and have their 'pet' with them on vacation. My little dog for example as much as I'd love to have him with me at all times, he is not as well trained as a service dog would be. He would never dream of sitting still in the bar/ restaurant / any area where there are people for more than 5 minutes. He'd be on his back, legs in the air wanting everyone to rub his belly or wanting everyones food.

If a dog is well behaved I don't have a problem even if it's not a service dog. But it's when dogs poop everywhere and the owners have no control over them that it can become a problem.

You do you and let others do themselves.
I believe this mentality is the crux of not just this "service" animal issue (and shorts in the MDR and chair hogs and and and), but all that is wrong with society today, on-board and on-land.

Everyone is so self-important and self-centered that they don't see the big picture anymore. These entitled people act as though the rules don't apply because "you should just MYOB." This lack of civility, social responsibility and general consideration for others is, frankly, sickening to me.

Instead of thinking of yourself first, why not try thinking about how your actions will impact those around you? Go ahead, snowflake. You do you... but do it in the privacy of your own home. When you're in a public space, you need to think of others.

/rant

Guest BigRoger

:D Thanks all for this thread... one of the best laughs I’ve had in ages... and not just laughing at the deliberately humorous ones! Says a lot about me though... I maybe need to get out more... ps my 2 labs and 3 cats have all ordered their vests and are doing their own online check in as I write.... silhouette and symphony here they come!

I believe this mentality is the crux of not just this "service" animal issue (and shorts in the MDR and chair hogs and and and), but all that is wrong with society today, on-board and on-land.

Everyone is so self-important and self-centered that they don't see the big picture anymore. These entitled people act as though the rules don't apply because "you should just MYOB." This lack of civility, social responsibility and general consideration for others is, frankly, sickening to me.

Instead of thinking of yourself first, why not try thinking about how your actions will impact those around you? Go ahead, snowflake. You do you... but do it in the privacy of your own home. When you're in a public space, you need to think of others.

/rant

I wish we had a like button, well said.

Guest BigRoger

Maybe we could add to this thread or even a new one some photos of ‘dogs or other beasts seen on cruise ships’?

We could have large or small dogs, fat or thin dogs, old or young and even ugly or hot dogs 🌭 (pun absolutely intended).

:D Of course we’d need to let each poster trust their personal conscience as to how they defined and interpreted the terms dogs and beasts..... :halo:

/rant

b6ef05717d1b7c3fc25ba0fa06cb6268.jpg