Canine of the Seas....yet another dog on ship

Really??? Who cares. I have seen far more disgusting passengers. "Poop at the front desk"?? How about the people that are so fat there is no way they can clean themselves properly. Then you go in the hot tubs and pools with them...Yuk. I would rather have a dog poop on the deck then swim with kids in diapers and adults with poor hygiene. I could go on but I think you get the point.

Just boarded the Navigator today. Ran into yet another guy with a dog.

On the first sighting, the dog had no leash and the owner was carrying the dog in his arms. Did not see any special id or jacket/vest on the dog either, identifying it as an animal of assistance. The dog looked like the one that I saw on the Anthem in February, in the concierge lounge, but the owner looked different. This dog was a little fidgety.

The second time I ran in to them, the dog had a leash. I do not think they are the same duo as the one I saw on Anthem or the one that was banned from the Grandeur, but I may be wrong about the identity.

Let's hope this one does not poop at the front desk! :D

You know, I hate this subject. I was attacked by a dog when I was little so they effect me negatively - especially in spaces such as a plane or on a ship. What about my "rights" - can I use my emotional pepper spray? Nope. Same feeling I get when I see someone with a handicap sticker park in a reserved spot, jump out and run into the store. This pampering S*@! needs to stop. Sorry, I'll disembark my soap box now and finish my wine.

Thank you for posting this!! I too was attacked by a dog at the age of 6 and I don't care how nice the dog owner claims there dog is it still makes me uncomfortable. Not to mention I am allergic to dogs!!

What if a person is allergic to Dogs? Should this person's trip be ruined?

Exactly. We were at the allergist the other day and someone came in with a dog. Claimed it was a service dog when the doctor asked for the dog to be removed from the office. The doctor told them to remove the dog again as this was an allergist office and people were there to receive shots for allergies to things such as dogs. The person could not understand why they could not bring their dog into an allergist office. I understand the need for dogs and certain situations but a cruise ship and an allergist office come on people

It seems to me the issue is, once again, a population that feels entitled to do anything "because it makes me feel good," or "because no one should be judged by what clothing is worn," or "because it's MY vacation, so I can do whatever I want." As long as that's the attitude you are battling and society continues to encourage such thinking, they will continue to do what they want, no matter how it inconveniences others, irritates others, affects the health of others.

Totally agree!

I am allergic to dogs. Even the so-called "hypoallergenic" ones bother me after several hours. I was on a flight to Europe on Delta last year when an announcement was made that someone on the flight had a very serious peanut allergy and we were asked to discard from our carryon luggage anything that contained peanut products before boarding. On this same flight there were 2 small dogs on the plane. Also one across the aisle from me on the return flight. What would have been the response if I had asked the people with dogs to discard them before boarding!!

Went through the old fashioned rabies shots in abdomen as a child. Left me with no desire to own one myself and when son had such a severe allergy to dogs that if we even drove into the driveway (never left car) of friends who had dog he would turn blue, sealed the deal. I respect the need for real service dogs. We have to have medical documentation to get DW meds on flights, and med documentation to my special dietary items on Flights and on ship. How can they get away with no documentation?

Exactly. We were at the allergist the other day and someone came in with a dog. Claimed it was a service dog when the doctor asked for the dog to be removed from the office. The doctor told them to remove the dog again as this was an allergist office and people were there to receive shots for allergies to things such as dogs. The person could not understand why they could not bring their dog into an allergist office. I understand the need for dogs and certain situations but a cruise ship and an allergist office come on people

The person obviously needed a service animal AND the services of the allergist. I don’t understand what your issue is with it.

If I suddenly required a service dog, and if the dog that I got caused allergies, I might need the services of an allergist as well.

Talk about a conundrum, especially with people telling my dog to leave the office...

(Except I don’t do allergy shots. Useless. I’m a holistic-care type of person and am only rarely allergic now, even to cats, thank goodness...so it’s all moot bc I don’t have a service dog (or miniature horse) and wouldn’t be at the allergist’s)

People that need emotional dogs should be the first inline to be denied the ability to purchase a fire arm. Let's call it what it is. Crazy like a crazed dog. OK... back to your dog on ship bashfest

Wow. Generalize much?

There are people responding who are not getting the real dog issue. It is not trained service dogs that is the problem, it is the untrained, internet "fake" certified untrained service animals that is at issue. I don't if no one here has heard about the emotional support dogs that have attacked paying passengers on airlines, crew members; pooping dogs urinating and barking at everyone. Not only is it emotional support dogs, people have brought on their pigs, birds, snakes, etc.

Delta had an incident where a 50lb lap dog, yes, they man had 50lbs of dog sitting in his lap; attacked the face of sitting paying passenger. The dog and his owner (Lab) had the middle seat, the passenger had the window seat. It wasn't a nip, it was two bits where the man needed 28 stiches and multiple plastic surgeries. Rhetorical Question: Who is going to pay for that, Delta, the passenger, the dog?

There is no registry for ESAs nor for service animals. Though if someone says their animal is registered as such them that’s a sign that their animal isn’t.

"Look alike" fake service dogs have no ADA rights. The problem, as I see it, is telling the difference. If the owner of an emotional support animal claims it is a service dog I don't know how it can be disproven. If the person tells you the dog is an ESA I would think that you could then tell them that they are not allowed.

That’s why it’s best to assume the animal is a service dog, be glad that the person has found a dog to help them with whatever issue they might have, and move on.

If the animal is roaming all around, if the animal is jumping up on people's lap, if the animal is barking at everyone ...it's not trained. It may be the person's emotional support ...but it needs to be trained.

Example but not using an animal: A person's emotional support may be a convicted killer; however, if I invite that person to my home and they bring along the killer, they will be asked to leave. Even though we pay, they pay for the privilege of being on a cruise, that doesn't mean you can take over. Even though I invite someone to my home, that doesn't mean they can come in and act like there at home unless they ask me and I say it's O.K.

Service dogs just be trained *to perform a task for the owner*. It’s nice if they are also trained in general, but that’s not a requirement.

You are confusing seeing eye dogs with the whole world of service dogs out there. The former are pretty much born to be trained for that. Many other service dogs aren’t trained from birth. They can be fidgety and noisy and difficult AND still be a bonafide service dog.

With service dogs and your analogy, well it doesn’t work. We have to treat them like they are human, in terms of access. And just like if Uncle Phil poops in the hallway and gets in trouble, the dog can too, if it poops in the hallway. But you have to wait until it actually does that.

And I wipe my butt with a towel that is then distributed to another passenger.

I have used a towel to clean up vomit and that towel was distributed to another passenger.

Yep.

I don't care if pet dogs are allowed on boats but pet dogs shouldn't be allowed on cruise ships.

And they aren’t. Check out the page. They allow service dogs. If you have an ESAthey tell you to call. There are multiple hoops to jump through.

We just did a B2B cruise on Celebrity's Equinox in March. First leg of the cruise there was a guy and his service dog. Whenever we saw him the dog would walk close by his side and when the guy was sitting the dog laid under his chair. Never heard the guy ever tell the dog not to or to do something. IMO true service dog. Second leg of the cruise a couple with a dog. The dog was always trying to pull away from the owner while on it's leash, owner was always pulling on the leash, telling it stop, sit, no bark, stay...IMO just a pet and a couple abusing the system. :mad:

Nope. Can’t assume that. Second dog might have been just as much a service dog as the first.

There is NO requirement that a SD is trained in obedience.

HOWEVER as dumb as that regulation is (only 2 questions), since cruise ships are not of US registry they are not bound by these regulations. The cruise lines just don't want to "rock the boat", much to the dismay of the majority of us. Similar to ignoring pool chair hogs, dumbing down of dress codes, rude behavior, etc. The silent majority continues to suffer due to the "political correctness" society.

I’m sorry you’re suffering because you assume that all service dogs are fakes. That’s a rough way to live.

They have a special area on one of the decks for this purpose. I’ve been on ships with real service dogs and sat at the next table in the MDR. They are very well trained.

Again, not necessarily.

I am posting a reply because ...unlike formal night and gratuity threads. I don't think there can be enough discussion about non-service animals ,being on cruise ships.

I think we MUST keep speaking out about it.

So that the cruise lines will hear us and STOP these NON-service animals from being on board.

I went online to see how easy it was to register just a PET, as the emotional companion And it was OUTRAGEOUSLY EASY.

All it would've taken was a few hundred dollars and my pet could've gone on vacation with me.

I would never do it , but if we don't SPEAK UP there is going to be 50 dogs on every ship.

Because the mentality seems to be... if they can do it, why cannot I. :mad::eek::mad:

Come on Royal Caribbean, in-force some standards and REQUIRE some actual PROOF, meaning doctors information.

You don’t need to spend $100 to have your dog registered as an ESA. No such thing. But royal does have you call if you want to bring an ESA. Not sure what they’ll say if you call.

And for service dogs they have a whole page dedicated to what owners have to do to bring them onboard.

Just boarded the Navigator today. Ran into yet another guy with a dog.

On the first sighting, the dog had no leash and the owner was carrying the dog in his arms. Did not see any special id or jacket/vest on the dog either, identifying it as an animal of assistance. The dog looked like the one that I saw on the Anthem in February, in the concierge lounge, but the owner looked different. This dog was a little fidgety.

The second time I ran in to them, the dog had a leash. I do not think they are the same duo as the one I saw on Anthem or the one that was banned from the Grandeur, but I may be wrong about the identity.

Let's hope this one does not poop at the front desk! :D

What exactly makes you think the dog isn’t a service dog?

There is zero need for an ID or jacket. There is nothing saying the animal can never be held. There is nothing requiring them to not be fidgety.

You’ve made a giant assumption out of ideas in your head that are 100% false about service dogs.

While what most of what you say is correct, especially about there not being a requirement to be trained in general behavior, conversely, it is clearly stated in the ADA that the dog must be under control, and that if the dog is disruptive to the business or customers by its actions, it can be required to leave the premises. The ADA specifically mentions barking, jumping, and other disruptive behaviors that are not allowed.

I guess it could have been worse......the person could have cracked open a can of mixed nuts while sitting in the allergist waiting room next to their dog ...............

I know nothing about this subject, but have seen several other people quote this one. I WOULD THINK that this is another case where service animals vs Emotional support animals, in the case ot service dogs, not only are the animals trained so are the owners. A blind person I know with a dog rode a bus that had special lift systems for wheel chair people. That came up in her training and she was ready for it. I'll bet allergist came up in her training as well.

And they aren’t. Check out the page. They allow service dogs. If you have an ESAthey tell you to call. There are multiple hoops to jump through.

An assumption on your part that some don't lie about their pet dogs to get them on a ship.

Nope. Can’t assume that. Second dog might have been just as much a service dog as the first.

There is NO requirement that a SD is trained in obedience.

Another assumption on your part....

HOWEVER as dumb as that regulation is (only 2 questions), since cruise ships are not of US registry they are not bound by these regulations.

They're still vulnerable to lawsuits. The cruise lines are going to be extra cautious about banning fake service animals because if they guess wrong, they'll get sued.

Rhapsody of the Seas 4/15 - “canine of the seas “ spotting on deck 8. Small Yorker type dog. Crew members were in the door way oooohing and ahhhing over the dog. Service dog? Who knows. I haven’t seen the dog out of the cabin...it doesn’t bother me, just mentioning the sighting as there this seems to be a trend.

Wow, the opinions here vary from exterminate all animals to let them captain the ship. Most seem to fall in the middle.

I was an SPCA Animal Cruelty Officer in the past and am now a volunteer at a large veterans hospital. In no way an expert on this subject but have been around the issue.

First, I really hope no one has a problem with guide dogs for the blind. That should be an easy one. Trained from puppies and 100% essential to the person. Service Animal for autism, the deaf, PTSD, ect...? Sometimes harder to see the problem. IMO, yes essential to the person.

Allergies?: Why should your disorder trump the disorder of another? Scared of dogs? That is a psychological issue and I understand it is real and not making light of it but it is your disorder and again why should it trump someone else's? Why should a child have to sit in their room at home because you are afraid of their service animal or might sneeze. Take a Claritin and get the drink package. ( I know someone will make a case for severe asthma. If a person is that badly allergic, just being in contact with anything that has been in contact with a dog will cause distress. The animal does not even have to be present. )

At the vet hospital, only therapy dogs meaning they have an excellent temperament, and are trained for the task are permitted. They do wonders for the well-being of the residents.

There is a line. The animal has to be trained and in control at all times by the owner and the animal has to serve a bonafide therapeutic purpose. It is difficult for the cruise line to require a certification as their are so many countries and laws to deal with. I have seen two dogs in my cruises. One was part of the show with an entertainer. I talked to the owner. That little guy was trained to do his business on a special matt in the shower. The other was a small dog in someone's arms, not sure of the purpose.

An untrained pet serving no practical truly therapeutic purpose has no business coming on the boat. I will also add that the animal even if it is serving a purpose must be in control and trained.

On my last cruise a week ago. The main pool was closed for 24 hours for sanitary reasons. Not quite sure why, but think it was a poo poo problem from a not so furry child.

My "emotional support" dog is a 120 pound Rottweiler. She is almost nine years old, which is pretty old for a Rottweiler. In her old age she has gotten a little grumpy. She doesn't like other dogs or most people and really hates cats but she does give me emotional support. I guess she would be OK to bring on the ship? (Just kidding - I never would bring an animal on a cruise ship)

Just got off Allure of the seas yesterday and a woman had a small dog in a stroller. Saw her and the dog all over the ship. Heard from another guest that she was arguing with a staff member that the area for the dog to do its business was not good enough.

Wow, the opinions here vary from exterminate all animals to let them captain the ship. Most seem to fall in the middle.

I was an SPCA Animal Cruelty Officer in the past and am now a volunteer at a large veterans hospital. In no way an expert on this subject but have been around the issue.

First, I really hope no one has a problem with guide dogs for the blind. That should be an easy one. Trained from puppies and 100% essential to the person. Service Animal for autism, the deaf, PTSD, ect...? Sometimes harder to see the problem. IMO, yes essential to the person.

Allergies?: Why should your disorder trump the disorder of another? Scared of dogs? That is a psychological issue and I understand it is real and not making light of it but it is your disorder and again why should it trump someone else's? Why should a child have to sit in their room at home because you are afraid of their service animal or might sneeze. Take a Claritin and get the drink package. ( I know someone will make a case for severe asthma. If a person is that badly allergic, just being in contact with anything that has been in contact with a dog will cause distress. The animal does not even have to be present. )

At the vet hospital, only therapy dogs meaning they have an excellent temperament, and are trained for the task are permitted. They do wonders for the well-being of the residents.

There is a line. The animal has to be trained and in control at all times by the owner and the animal has to serve a bonafide therapeutic purpose. It is difficult for the cruise line to require a certification as their are so many countries and laws to deal with. I have seen two dogs in my cruises. One was part of the show with an entertainer. I talked to the owner. That little guy was trained to do his business on a special matt in the shower. The other was a small dog in someone's arms, not sure of the purpose.

An untrained pet serving no practical truly therapeutic purpose has no business coming on the boat. I will also add that the animal even if it is serving a purpose must be in control and trained.

On my last cruise a week ago. The main pool was closed for 24 hours for sanitary reasons. Not quite sure why, but think it was a poo poo problem from a not so furry child.

Well said.

Service Animal for autism, the deaf, PTSD, ect...? Sometimes harder to see the problem. IMO, yes essential to the person.

I agree with all of this. I also think that there should be legislation banning people from using fake service animals to get what they want. The fake support animal garbage has some people advocating that we remove privileges from real service animals, which is why many organizations that train and provide real service animals are also advocating for legislation against fake ones.

At any rate, to me anyway it's often fairly obvious when a fake service animal is around, because the fakers almost never train their animals well. One trait of real service animals is that their public behavior is almost always next to perfect. If the dog is barking his head off, or jumping on people, or biting them as happened on a plane a couple months back, it's probably not a real service animal.