Flowrider board reviews, which to buy?

On 8/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, A&L_Ont said:

Below are my boards from left to right. The left and middle board are 38” long. The one on the right is 42” long. I find the wood boards to be lighter than my graphite one. I also find the shorter boards to be more responsive. 

The left one is a Shuv-it wood with outer channels. It is wider in the middle. 

The middle board is a Carve with outer channels and is is slightly hour glass shaped in the middle. That shape helps with carving action with more edge contact on the wave, like parabolic skis.

The right board is a Carve with a quad channels at each end. It is graphite.  It too is slightly hour glass shaped. 

Board update: 
So the Flowrider shop no longer makes Carve boards that are graphite with rail channels. 

The options are 1) 39” wood Carve with rail channels, or 2) 39” graphite Carve with no channels. 

Would you recommend the channeled board over the non-channeled version?

Or would you recommend the graphite over the wood regardless of channels? 

Thanks! 

34 minutes ago, jgalley said:

Board update: 
So the Flowrider shop no longer makes Carve boards that are graphite with rail channels. 

The options are 1) 39” wood Carve with rail channels, or 2) 39” graphite Carve with no channels. 

Thanks! 

What happened to looking at the 39" Outlaw with quad channels?  If at all possible, try before you buy so you don’t potentially end up with buyer’s remorse. 

If you have deep pockets and can’t find boards to try out, buy all three and sell the ones you don’t end up liking. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:12 AM, seanjulz said:

Board arrived yesterday took it for a spin today and loved it I think it will take me awhile to get fully used to it but so far I'm happy with the purchase can't wait to put some hours on it

20200201_125417.jpg

20200201_125427.jpg

Sick board. Do they allow boards shorter than 42'' in Royal? The two closest flow riders to me require at least 42'' boards. Wonder if Royal has similar restrictions?

5 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Sick board. Do they allow boards shorter than 42'' in Royal? The two closest flow riders to me require at least 42'' boards. Wonder if Royal has similar restrictions?

Which two flowriders require at least a 42” board or longer?

There is no size restrictions on RCI.  However, they make you sign a waiver if you have any brand of board other than a Flowrider board.  

2 hours ago, atgood said:

Which two flowriders require at least a 42” board or longer?

There is no size restrictions on RCI.  However, they make you sign a waiver if you have any brand of board other than a Flowrider board.  

The one in Tampa and the one in Orlando require 42'' to use their FR🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, coldflame said:

The one in Tampa and the one in Orlando require 42'' to use their FR🤷‍♂️

Which one in Orlando?  The Grove, Gaylord Palms, or Solara?  It’s been over two years since we been to any of those waves.  Never heard of the restriction. 

5 hours ago, jgalley said:

Board update: 

Thanks! 

I’d personally go with the wood carve with channels, especially if it is more economical. I guess some of it would also depend on the top board surface. I like them more colourful, if it was an option. 

End of the day it’s your call. I will admit my wood boards have more abuse marks on the bottom, but nothing overly concerning.

• Like 1

After buying 3 boards over the years it is a hard choice to make on which board to buy without trying them. I started off with a 40 peanut shaped wood shuvit board which was super easy to ride and stable. I then moved to a ash board and while it was nice I found that I kept going back to the shortest outlaw I could ride just because it was more fun. In The end I ended up selling the ash in favor of the 39 outlaw.  I can’t do many tricks though and the shorter board is tougher to learn them on. Since most tricks are not allowed on the ship it made a shorter board more appealing.  The benefit to being used to the outlaw is that its pretty much a guarantee the ship will have one to use so I don’t have to bring one if I fly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, playingpossum said:

After buying 3 boards over the years it is a hard choice to make on which board to buy without trying them. I started off with a 40 peanut shaped wood shuvit board which was super easy to ride and stable. I then moved to a ash board and while it was nice I found that I kept going back to the shortest outlaw I could ride just because it was more fun. In The end I ended up selling the ash in favor of the 39 outlaw.  I can’t do many tricks though and the shorter board is tougher to learn them on. Since most tricks are not allowed on the ship it made a shorter board more appealing.  The benefit to being used to the outlaw is that its pretty much a guarantee the ship will have one to use so I don’t have to bring one if I fly. 

I agree that trying a board out is the best way to see if you like it before committing to making the purchase.   A great way to do it is if you strike up a conversation with other riders using their own boards at local waves and many will be happy to let you try them out.

I was never crazy about the ship's Outlaw boards.  I purchased a wood Ash board and loved it.  It rides like a big smooth Cadillac though.  Super stable and a great board to learn on.  I added a fiberglass Mak board with channels to my collection next and found it less stable but far more agile and fun for hard carving and tricks.

Trying out a few different boards prior to buying is the best thing to do.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2021 at 10:33 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I’d personally go with the wood carve with channels, especially if it is more economical. I guess some of it would also depend on the top board surface. I like them more colourful, if it was an option. 

End of the day it’s your call. I will admit my wood boards have more abuse marks on the bottom, but nothing overly concerning.

I ended up getting the 39” Carve wood board with rail channels like you recommended. 

After riding it for the 1st time today I can say that it was absolutely the right choice! Definitely better for carving and than the outlaw boards. I felt like I had so much more control and was able to make more aggressive turns and bigger spray.  

Thanks again! 

7BCF1D9B-0B6E-46CA-96D7-0D2EF2C193FF.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jgalley said:

I ended up getting the 39” Carve wood board with rail channels like you recommended. 

After riding it for the 1st time today I can say that it was absolutely the right choice! Definitely better for carving and than the outlaw boards. I felt like I had so much more control and was able to make more aggressive turns and bigger spray.  

Thanks again! 

7BCF1D9B-0B6E-46CA-96D7-0D2EF2C193FF.jpeg

Glad to hear that you like your new board. Other than posting pics for you, mine haven’t seen daylight let alone a wave for 2 years this fall. Enjoy it and make up for the runs I’m not making. ❤️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Glad to hear that you like your new board. Other than posting pics for you, mine haven’t seen daylight let alone a wave for 2 years this fall. Enjoy it and make up for the runs I’m not making. ❤️

x2 for the runs I'm not having. 

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread...

Ash has stopped making boards due to the impact to his health from making boards.

I am looking to add to my existing much loved Ash 36" x 11" TK designed "Life-in-Pieces" board with a smooth bottom and VGT non-slip (that now has just started delaminating, requiring some preventative repairs). This board is wonderfully agile and light for pulling off tricks, Ollie's, etc. However on the lesser flow waves; when the water in the tank is low (too much splashing out of the recirculating system, etc); and when rough seas reduce the water depth in spots my small board bottoms out. I suspect this also might be the situation on the pneumatic surfaces on the newest ships.

If a 39"x12" Ash was being made, that'd be the one I'd add.

I've tried MAK "Flowdaddy" 40" & 39" boards at Snohomish Aquatic Center's single wides with foam nonskid decks but found them heavier and with the greater rocker and shape, less able to hold a hard carve but very agile. My old legs haven't the spring to pop as high of Ollies.

The standard smooth bottomed Waveloc 39" & 40" boards on the ships have been ok but rides like the family sedan vs a sports car.

I've been in contact with a couple of flowriding friends (with engineering/technical backgrounds like myself) who have successfully built their own carbon/graphite boards, and a couple of other non-US builders (in addition to MAK: waveup.com and Robotwakeboards.com) that have models in my range and are less expensive than the MAKs but which I haven't ridden. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on a purchase of a production board nor the creation of a build space nor purchase of build materials.

2 hours ago, Futureaarpmember said:

Reviving this thread...

Ash has stopped making boards due to the impact to his health from making boards.

I am looking to add to my existing much loved Ash 36" x 11" TK designed "Life-in-Pieces" board with a smooth bottom and VGT non-slip (that now has just started delaminating, requiring some preventative repairs). This board is wonderfully agile and light for pulling off tricks, Ollie's, etc. However on the lesser flow waves; when the water in the tank is low (too much splashing out of the recirculating system, etc); and when rough seas reduce the water depth in spots my small board bottoms out. I suspect this also might be the situation on the pneumatic surfaces on the newest ships.

If a 39"x12" Ash was being made, that'd be the one I'd add.

I've tried MAK "Flowdaddy" 40" & 39" boards at Snohomish Aquatic Center's single wides with foam nonskid decks but found them heavier and with the greater rocker and shape, less able to hold a hard carve but very agile. My old legs haven't the spring to pop as high of Ollies.

The standard smooth bottomed Waveloc 39" & 40" boards on the ships have been ok but rides like the family sedan vs a sports car.

I've been in contact with a couple of flowriding friends (with engineering/technical backgrounds like myself) who have successfully built their own carbon/graphite boards, and a couple of other non-US builders (in addition to MAK: waveup.com and Robotwakeboards.com) that have models in my range and are less expensive than the MAKs but which I haven't ridden. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on a purchase of a production board nor the creation of a build space nor purchase of build materials.

I love my 39” quad channel Outlaw.  I have a 42” Outlaw, but don’t ride it nearly as much as the 39”.  I’ve ridden other brands also.  It comes down to personal preference and finding a board that will last. 

Flowrider Shop now has a new Outlaw model called the Shuv-it Outlaw in 38” and 40”.  It blends the Shuv-it shape and combines it with the Outlaw construction.  https://flowridershop.com/product/shuv-it-outlaw-wonderlust-graphic-flowboard/

Two other brands you may want to take a look at are Bushido and Aquaflow. 

http://bushidoflow.com/boards/

https://aquaflowshop.com/shop/

Bushido boards are made in California.  My wife rides 38” Bushido Shark.  Great quality and light in weight.  He makes them to order.

Aquaflow boards are made in Florida.  I’ve ridden with the owner a few times.  Cool guy and definitely supports the sport.  I know a few people who ride them and they really like them.  I plan on buying one of his boards in the future.  He will do customized graphics.  

Good luck in buying a new one.