Flowrider board reviews, which to buy?

The split between the pumps was such that it basically caused the board to stick in the middle of the wave.  This is the point where you are transitioning from carving one way to the other, so when you stick to the bottom there it throws off the next turn.  It was not horrible, but it was frustrating and irritating as heck.

Have we met?  

jc

On 1/10/2020 at 6:59 AM, spudstrawb said:

So seanjulz, did you end up getting anything?

I ended up ordering a 39inch ash board after trying a older one at my local flowrider will update how it rides when I get it, thanks again for all the information people have put up here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm trying to decide between buying 1) 39" Outlaw with quad channels, or 2) 38" Shuv-It with channels (outer rail). I typically just carve side to side at the top of the wave. 

Any recommendations between 1 board or the other?

1 hour ago, jgalley said:

I'm trying to decide between buying 1) 39" Outlaw with quad channels, or 2) 38" Shuv-It with channels (outer rail). I typically just carve side to side at the top of the wave. 

I bought 1.  I have seen 2 but never ridden it.  I surf like you do, I don’t do Shuv-its.  I quickly learned how to ride my board, although it does want to turn all of the time, which can catch you out at first.  Have about 35 days of using it on the ships now.  I am very happy with my purchase.  

JC, I like the top pattern on my board it is not just the regular black smooth surface of the ship boards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jgalley said:

I have 3 boards and like my carve with the two outer channels the most. I also have a quad channel, second favourite.  I no longer take my channeled shuv-it.  It was my first board, a great beginner board IMO. 

I too also approve of colourful board tops. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:08 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I have 3 boards and like my carve with the two outer channels the most. I also have a quad channel, second favourite.  I no longer take my channeled shuv-it.  It was my first board, a great beginner board IMO. 

I too also approve of colourful board tops. 

Thank you!

Is there a difference with the carving between the outer channel and quad channel? One better at making aggressive carves? 

On 8/23/2021 at 10:26 AM, xpcdoojk said:

I bought 1.  I have seen 2 but never ridden it.  I surf like you do, I don’t do Shuv-its.  I quickly learned how to ride my board, although it does want to turn all of the time, which can catch you out at first.  Have about 35 days of using it on the ships now.  I am very happy with my purchase.  

JC, I like the top pattern on my board it is not just the regular black smooth surface of the ship boards.

Thank you!

Does it "want to turn all of the time" because of the added quad channels? 

27 minutes ago, jgalley said:

Thank you!

Is there a difference with the carving between the outer channel and quad channel? One better at making aggressive carves? 

IMO I think the carve with channels cuts better.  I find my quad channel board to be a bit more sluggish and weighs a bit more. 

17 minutes ago, jgalley said:

Thank you!

Does it "want to turn all of the time" because of the added quad channels? 

I personally find that it does not.  It is very stable when just riding straight on the wave, no different than other boards. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:08 PM, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks A&L_Ont

So you ride a Carve board? I'm not too familiar with that brand. Do those have either one or two outer channels? Are they less stable but more responsive than the Outlaws and Shuv-its?

On 8/23/2021 at 9:14 AM, jgalley said:

I love my 39” quad channel Outlaw.  I find it is very responsive and stable.  

My first board was a 42” dual channel Outlaw.  It definitely takes more effort to move around on the wave than the 39”.  The 39” is like a sports car to ride. It takes very little input to get it to go where you want it to go.  

The quad channels cause the board to sit slightly lower on the water than a non-channel Outlaw.  When someone switches from a non-channeled Outlaw to a quad channel Outlaw, they usually notice the quad channel grips the water better for control, but will encounter the back of the board bottoming out (sticking) on the wave surface.  The rider will have to adjust their feet positioning and/or the their weight distribution from what they were previously doing on a non-channel Outlaw. 

The Shuv-It is a wooden board and needs maintenance to protect the wood from being saturated by water and therefore deteriorating over time.  I’ve ridden a friend’s Shuv-It board.  It’s a good board too.  It just was different from what I’m used to.

It’s good to try out boards before you buy.  One thing I’ve noticed in the past was there are usually several cruisers with their own board on transatlantic cruises and it’s an opportunity to try out different boards if you ask someone nicely. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jgalley said:

Thanks A&L_Ont

So you ride a Carve board? I'm not too familiar with that brand. Do those have either one or two outer channels? Are they less stable but more responsive than the Outlaws and Shuv-its?

My board is a Flowrider brand board, and is a  “Carve” model.

IMO I think the stability level comes down to the riding level of the rider. 

It has 2 outer channels on it VS a smooth bottom version. Currently under the Carve model it appears as though Flowrider do not have any available for sale in my model.  That is if they still make them.  

I took this screen shot below from their webpage to show the current boards the have available in the Carve format. 

742A0058-D479-4E99-B582-86B04AF18EF0.thumb.png.e50d7a032706ba4608a10cb40d740804.png

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

My board is a Flowrider brand board, and is a  “Carve” model.

IMO I think the stability level comes down to the riding level of the rider. 

It has 2 outer channels on it VS a smooth bottom version. Currently under the Carve model it appears as though Flowrider do not have any available for sale in my model.  That is if they still make them.  

I took this screen shot below from their webpage to show the current boards the have available in the Carve format. 

742A0058-D479-4E99-B582-86B04AF18EF0.thumb.png.e50d7a032706ba4608a10cb40d740804.png

Thanks! I'll try to contact them to see if they have any models with channels off the site. 

Do you have a wood or graphite one?

Also are the Carve boards lighter than the Outlaws? Less sluggish like you said?

On 8/23/2021 at 4:22 PM, zekekelso said:

Cool to see a fun topic - even if this is an old thread. As someone who can do little more than hang one for a bit until a spectacular wipeout, I salute you Flowrider gods. 

Yeah, this is exactly what I've thought when I saw this thread. Most of the topics receive themselves, while here I enjoyed time surfing the pages and reading the comments. Keep up this great chat guys 

Also are the Carve boards lighter than the Outlaws? Less sluggish like you said?

I have always found them to be that way.  The Outlaws cost more and IMO are built heavier duty. Just my thoughts though. They are the RC board of choice and last years with thousands of riders using them weekly. 

Thanks! I'll try to contact them to see if they have any models with channels off the site. 

Give it a try. 

Do you have a wood or graphite one?

Below are my boards from left to right. The left and middle board are 38” long. The one on the right is 42” long. I find the wood boards to be lighter than my graphite one. I also find the shorter boards to be more responsive. 

The left one is a Shuv-it wood with outer channels. It is wider in the middle. 

The middle board is a Carve with outer channels and is is slightly hour glass shaped in the middle. That shape helps with carving action with more edge contact on the wave, like parabolic skis.

The right board is a Carve with a quad channels at each end. It is graphite.  It too is slightly hour glass shaped. 

549088AD-E225-42DB-8B86-EC0227277491.thumb.jpeg.a0ff0018565d9d7eb40aa39fd820f4db.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have always found them to be that way.  The Outlaws cost more and IMO are built heavier duty. Just my thoughts though. They are the RC board of choice and last years with thousands of riders using them weekly. 

Give it a try. 

Below are my boards from left to right. The left and middle board are 38” long. The one on the right is 42” long. I find the wood boards to be lighter than my graphite one. I also find the shorter boards to be more responsive. 

The left one is a Shuv-it wood with outer channels. It is wider in the middle. 

The middle board is a Carve with outer channels and is is slightly hour glass shaped in the middle. That shape helps with carving action with more edge contact on the wave, like parabolic skis.

The right board is a Carve with a quad channels at each end. It is graphite.  It too is slightly hour glass shaped. 

549088AD-E225-42DB-8B86-EC0227277491.thumb.jpeg.a0ff0018565d9d7eb40aa39fd820f4db.jpeg

Thank you very much for all that info!

Seeing what the boards look like side by side really helps. I think I’ll be doing some research on those Carve boards now 🙂 

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Yeah, this is exactly what I've thought when I saw this thread. Most of the topics receive themselves, while here I enjoyed time surfing the pages and reading the comments. Keep up this great chat guys 

Roger88, we were supposed to sail together, but it got cancelled are we are any sailing together now?

10 hours ago, jgalley said:

Thank you very much for all that info!

Seeing what the boards look like side by side really helps. I think I’ll be doing some research on those Carve boards now 🙂 

Glad to help. One thing I forgot to mention is that the outlaw is a straight sided board. Another words both sides are parallel, to the front and in the curve. Therefore they do not carve as well.

• Like 1