Cruising with children without notarized letter from ex spouse

JBCruiser2118

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/minors%20travelling%20alone/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTI0NDkyMTY0L3NpZC9KUzd5RVVLbg%3D%3D

Same topic but slightly different circumstances.

I was stopped by the Canadian authorities at a land crossing in BC. My (then 13 yo daughter) had come out to Washington to visit. This was pre 9/11. I thought it would be great to visit Canada.

Nope, denied entry into Canada because of no letter from her mom giving me permission to take her into Canada.

Five cruises with my underage daughter.

Never had a paper from their mom.

Never asked for anything.

The last three she had a passport.

Its all an urban legend.

I guess you don't read cruise critic that often

go search this site... you'll find you are incorrect and people have been stopped.

Just because you didn't get stopped doesn't mean its an urban legend

Can it be an issue and you are denied boarding? Yes

Will you? Most likely not

Want to be 100?

Pay your attorney to get formal approval from the court.

This - and while you are at it, get the court to authorize the passport without his signature.

My granddaughter has missed 3 cruises due to her bio refusing to allow her to travel. All at last minute. This resulted in the judge entering into final papers that he cannot in any way interfer with domestic or international travel. Or interfer with obtaining a passport.

All I have to say is thank God !

Wanted to chime in on this. We have cruised Carnival in the past with letter and were never asked for them. This past June my husband and I took my daughter on NCL to Bermuda and they asked us for the letter as well as a copy of my ex's DL. Bermuda was very strict on this. Every time we went through customs to get back on board they grilled my daughter as well as went over all the paperwork with a fine tooth comb. It got to the point I dreaded getting off the ship because I knew it would be a hassle to get back on.

Wanted to chime in on this. We have cruised Carnival in the past with letter and were never asked for them. This past June my husband and I took my daughter on NCL to Bermuda and they asked us for the letter as well as a copy of my ex's DL. Bermuda was very strict on this. Every time we went through customs to get back on board they grilled my daughter as well as went over all the paperwork with a fine tooth comb. It got to the point I dreaded getting off the ship because I knew it would be a hassle to get back on.

I know it’s a pain but good for them.

We as a society need to do all we can to stop child abduction and sex trafficking

This board will be interesting when (not if) a non custodial parent takes a child out of the country via cruise ship, gets off at a foreign port and disappears.

and how would that stop if they had a letter? If a parent wants to take off with a child, they will. I cant imagine booking and paying for a cruise to do that.

My DD 12, and I have been on 10 cruises. We have different last names. I always bring our birth certificates and passport cards.

Have never even been asked a single question, I never bring a letter, and we have no court orders. Her father is not involved too much in her life.

Our cruises have been mostly on carnival and one on RCI.

It's very obvious that different people have had different experiences, so I have no idea if a letter is needed or not. You may want to check with Homeland Security to see if they have any policies regarding your situation.

I do have one recommendation though... don't volunteer the information when you are checking in if they don't ask. Hand up your paperwork and only answer questions that you are actually asked.

It's very obvious that different people have had different experiences, so I have no idea if a letter is needed or not. You may want to check with Homeland Security to see if they have any policies regarding your situation.

I do have one recommendation though... don't volunteer the information when you are checking in if they don't ask. Hand up your paperwork and only answer questions that you are actually asked.

Here is the CBT official statement on the subject

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/single%20parent%20travelling%20with%20children/session/L3RpbWUvMTUyNDUwMzkxNy9zaWQva2puc21WS24%3D

If a child (under the age of 18) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission.

While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

It depends on your former spouse. Always the chance s/he finds out you went out of the country without his/her permission. IF they want, they could even file for contempt of court, or worse, grounds for a change in custody.

As far as the letter for the cruise line from the other parent, they rarely require it. But, I do know of one case the custodial parent was denied boarding because she didn’t have permission from the non-custodial parent. This was on a Carnival cruise, if that matters.

It depends on your former spouse. Always the chance s/he finds out you went out of the country without his/her permission. IF they want, they could even file for contempt of court, or worse, grounds for a change in custody.

As far as the letter for the cruise line from the other parent, they rarely require it. But, I do know of one case the custodial parent was denied boarding because she didn’t have permission from the non-custodial parent. This was on a Carnival cruise, if that matters.

Yep, my mother needed court approval to travel with us out of state because my biodad was an ass. He would have waited and called Carnival, the FBI and anyone else he could think of to make a problem or negotiate for lower child support payments.

How would Carnival know about those familial details? Unless you offered that info. Would CCL sell you a room either way. Seems to be more a matter of the family and if the court is involved. Therein is the risk you take I think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been cruising alone with my son since he was 3. He's now 10. We have cruised on several different lines, but mostly with Carnival. I've never been so much as questioned. Ever. I've never had anything but his passport. Happy sailing!

This makes me feel better! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Yes! That's the plan!

Very helpful, thank you! After speaking to my attorney I am confident my decree will suffice.

Thanks again ;)

very cool!

I am glad you looked past the comments where people have said that they have been on x,xxx,xxx,xxx amount of cruises and they have never been asked so it cant be true!

Please enjoy your cruise!!! and come back and let us know how it went

Wait, I need some clarification on this....you are stating the gate agents asked for custody paperwork each time you went back on the ship? You needed a copy of your ex’s DL? For what? Why would you even have a copy of your ex’s DL?! This makes no sense to me. I have been to Bermuda twice and did not notice any customs officials checking on people coming and going? I would think if they were going to question you, it would be leaving the ship to tour around Bermuda? I traveled with my son to Bermuda and no one batted an eye, coming or going. Something isn’t adding up here....

Wait, I need some clarification on this....you are stating the gate agents asked for custody paperwork each time you went back on the ship? You needed a copy of your ex’s DL? For what? Why would you even have a copy of your ex’s DL?! This makes no sense to me. I have been to Bermuda twice and did not notice any customs officials checking on people coming and going? I would think if they were going to question you, it would be leaving the ship to tour around Bermuda? I traveled with my son to Bermuda and no one batted an eye, coming or going. Something isn’t adding up here....

Pretty sure customs/TSA/Carnival /other cruise lines have the right to ask for any documentation they want, if they're questioning children coming in or out of a country. Blows my mind that some people on here say the documents aren't required and encourage others not to bother.

We have taken our granddaughters on several cruises.

We have been asked for the letter three times....once by Royal...once by Disney...and once by Customs.

On one of the cruises our daughter (their mother) was with us but they still required the letter signed by her husband.

It may be a rare occurrence but it does happen. No way would I leave the country without all of the proper documentation.

Who would want to risk being denied to board???