HAL Emergency Travel Assistance

I've never cruised with Holland America, but my wife just did and I thought to write a public thank you note to the line for how they handled a medical emergency that one of her traveling companions suffered while onboard.

The concerned care and humane treatment of the medical emergency onboard, the turn back to Puerto Limón, the disembarkation, the coordination of several ambulances and admittance to a local hospital, but above all, the constant follow up the family has received from the line, has contributed immensely to our peace of mind that everything will be well.

Kudos to the medical personnel on board the Zuiderdam and to the Captain, whose timely and wise decision could have very well saved my wife's sister's life. We are still dealing with the emergency care in Costa Rica and trying to figure out how to repatriate her, but Holland America has been with us every step of the way making sure we have everything we need.

Looking forward to sailing with Holland America in the near future. I know I will be well taken care of.

Gracias,

It really is wonderful to see how they step in when things go wrong health-wise. We had a similar situation and were pleased with the follow-up (including phone calls to the hospital room in Panama City from a "social worker" from HAL) to keep abreast of things and to offer assistance. These weren't just platitudes; we were given this person's cell phone number and were told to call 24/7 if there was anything we needed help with. We did call to get assistance with flights back and she was able to arrange them through HAL's air dept. You may want to check this as well.

Hopefully your sister-in-law will be well enough to return to her home soon.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

It really is wonderful to see how they step in when things go wrong health-wise. We had a similar situation and were pleased with the follow-up (including phone calls to the hospital room in Panama City from a "social worker" from HAL) to keep abreast of things and to offer assistance. These weren't just platitudes; we were given this person's cell phone number and were told to call 24/7 if there was anything we needed help with. We did call to get assistance with flights back and she was able to arrange them through HAL's air dept. You may want to check this as well.

Hopefully your sister-in-law will be well enough to return to her home soon.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

That has been our experience exactly. Thank you all for your kind words.

I was on this cruise when this event occurred. I am so happy to learn that the lady is hospitalized. My best wishes for a complete recovery. When this occurs we always wonder about the outcome.

As Aviator stated, HAL handled things beautifully and as passengers we were kept informed with the explanation, but without revealing any personal information.

Thank you for posting your praises of how your family was treated. Many people would not have taken the time to do so.

I wish your sister-in-law a complete recovery, and a speedy return home.

I was on this cruise when this event occurred. I am so happy to learn that the lady is hospitalized. My best wishes for a complete recovery. When this occurs we always wonder about the outcome.

As Aviator stated, HAL handled things beautifully and as passengers we were kept informed with the explanation, but without revealing any personal information.

Thank you. Without going into any details, she would not have survived the two sea days after Costa Rica. She would not have survived the three hour drive to San Jose either. It's really something that HAL got her an air ambulance within Costa Rica, without anybody asking for cash up front. We will deal with that later, but during the disembarkation, the question was never raised. They just needed to get her to a good hospital immediately. And as I posted on another board, Costa Rica is not the worst place in the world to have a medical emergency. It's just not inexpensive at all, contrary to popular belief.

As a follow up, she regained consciousness last night, and now is able to hold a conversation an assist with her diagnosis. Once her numbers stabilize, we'll fly her home.

Thanks to all.

While cruising this past January my husband became ill and we needed to disembark. The medical attention we received while on board, the preparation to disembark and the actual disembarkation was seamless. HAL quietly stepped up and ensured we had all the assistance we needed and even performed a follow up call to inquire how we were doing. We never expected to face such a situation but it was comforting to have HAL guiding us through it.

Happy to hear your S-i-L is on the road to rcoverey and hope you are able to get her home soon.

It is great of you to rwrite o f the wonderrful care and help HAL provided at a time when it is needed the most.

Thank you FOR Sharing with us how H AL was so heplful in so many ways.

A note of my use of the term "my wife's sister" instead of "my sister in law", for those of you who are wondering. This is something that is lost in translation. My primary language is Spanish, and in that language I would have used "my wife's comadre", for which there is no useful translation into English. "Comadre" is sort of the family you choose, not the family that is born to you. In this the female form, it is the person you choose to be your child's godmother for a Catholic baptism. Lacking a better translation, they call each other sisters. Like I call my "compadres" my brothers. So, not strictly "in-laws", but similar.

Ijust thought I said that.

Not cleared to fly commercial by the doctors just yet. An air ambulance to Florida costs over $20,000.00.

Just in case it slipped your mind in the upheaval---

If your sister-in-law has travel insurance for this trip, the expenses, including the repatriation expense, will be covered (at least in part) by that policy.

Just in case it slipped your mind in the upheaval---

If your sister-in-law has travel insurance for this trip, the expenses, including the repatriation expense, will be covered (at least in part) by that policy.

The problem in this case is that the cruise was sold by a mainland U.S. travel agent, but since she is a resident of Puerto Rico, she didn't qualify for coverage on their travel insurance. Even if Puerto Rico is a territory of the U.S., because of some quirky law (not sure if federal or local) residents must buy most insurance products on the island, not from a mainland agent.

A note of my use of the term "my wife's sister" instead of "my sister in law", for those of you who are wondering. This is something that is lost in translation. My primary language is Spanish, and in that language I would have used "my wife's comadre", for which there is no useful translation into English. "Comadre" is sort of the family you choose, not the family that is born to you. In this the female form, it is the person you choose to be your child's godmother for a Catholic baptism. Lacking a better translation, they call each other sisters. Like I call my "compadres" my brothers. So, not strictly "in-laws", but similar.

Ijust thought I said that.

Family is family, whether by birth or by choice. Sometimes the bonds to the family we choose can be stronger and deeper. I’m glad your wife’s sister is doing well and hope for a full recovery.

The problem in this case is that the cruise was sold by a mainland U.S. travel agent, but since she is a resident of Puerto Rico, she didn't qualify for coverage on their travel insurance. Even if Puerto Rico is a territory of the U.S., because of some quirky law (not sure if federal or local) residents must buy most insurance products on the island, not from a mainland agent.

Something I learned when I booked our upcoming cruise is that one of my credit cards includes this coverage when I use it to book travel. That may be worth checking if she used a credit card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums