dress code on formal night on Carribian Princess

papa41

A lot depends on the Maître D. Some are more strict than others. There is a dress code but it's enforced sporadically. I suggest going to "Youtube" & typing in "Princess formal nights". Also type in casual nights & judge for yourself.

A "dress code" is not a "Dress Code, but then I expect those who demand conformance to formalities would know that.

I wish Princess would adopt the same dress suggestions as Celebrity, Norwegian or Viking Ocean. "Evening Chic", "Dress Up or Not" and "Elegant Casual" seems to work quite well.

Thankfully we often fly first. Three complimentary checked bags each.

:D

Appears that the poster decided to post their first post on a hot topic like formal night dress and has not come back again.

As far as Youtube, just like CC is a small portion of cruisers, youtube is a small portion of cruisers and usually those who are taping formal nights tend to be taping themselves as they are dressed up. Most of the youtube videos are old, they are not from recent cruises when I google them. Not that I would take any fashion advice from any of the youtube videos that I saw! Videos from 2-6 years old show what formal night was like then, not perhaps now.

Cruising this past winter season in the Caribbean on Princess, I will tell you that the manner of dress on both the Crown and the Regal on formal nights is not what it has been. Yes, there are still those who dress up but there are many more who are in "country club casual" clothes. There are many more wearing shorts into the restaurants at night, both MDR and speciality dining rooms. My girlfriend said the style of dress went even further down hill on their Feb b2b Regal sailing than it was on their Dec b2b Regal sailing.

Unfortunately for many new cruisers to Princess that come here and ask questions, this topic seems to get some whipped into a frenzy whether or not they are on the "it's a dress code and I love to dress up" or the "it's my vacation and I'm going to dress as I please". Lots of opinions but not always the right answers for posters who want an answer.

Not that my opinion matters, but I follow dress codes and could care less how others are dressed. I don't judge people based on what they are wearing, I judge them on how they behave towards others. How others are dressed does absolutely nothing to diminish my enjoyment of either my meal nor my evening. Now how others behave towards others certainly can diminish both of those things!

Hopefully Princess will make an update on their policy and reflect what is really happening in the "what to wear/pack" section of their website. Just as they are busy making other changes to the product, one would hope that they would update this section to what is currently acceptable for dining in all venues. It would be nice to have it be consistent across their brand and their ships rather than up to the MD on each ship. Come on Princess, take the time to address this and not just make changes to things like the drink package and BOGO and things!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

Interesting choice of words and phrases, CJ...

You 'judge others' based on what? - your standard of behavior?

so what is not acceptable to you? - that would ruin your meal and night?

kid out of control, like shoving a whole plate of spaghetti in their face?

what else...

read this quick as I fully expect it to be nuked...:(

Would also be nice if CC made a sticky that showed both sides of the discussion and refer all questions on dress code to it. This has been suggested by numerous members over the years but nothing has ever come of it.

Interesting choice of words and phrases, CJ...

You 'judge others' based on what? - your standard of behavior?

so what is not acceptable to you? - that would ruin your meal and night?

kid out of control, like shoving a whole plate of spaghetti in their face?

what else...

read this quick as I fully expect it to be nuked...:(

You picked out one word out of that whole post! Using the word "judge" was not my best choice of words. What I said was "I don't judge others on how they are dressed, I judge them on how they treat others". Not how they BEHAVE, i.e. throwing a plate of spaghetti or kids running around.

So yes, if someone can't at least show a modicum of kindness, respect, decency and civility towards those around them, then I would prefer not to share a table with that person.

Takes an awful lot to ruin my night! I tend to enjoy most things and really enjoy the majority of people I have been lucky enough to have met in life.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1

I think this question gets asked over and over because it's so confusing.

There's always 3 different answers (with a certain degree of exaggeration):

1: "Princess says you only have to wear this. Plus they don't bother enforcing it"

2: "On my 100 cruises with Princess nobody has every dressed up"

3: "On my 100 cruises with Princess everybody dresses up"

You can't blame newbies (like me!) for being confused! Personally I love to dress up and get so little chance to do so and would love to wear a long dress on formal night.

I don't judge others if they don't fancy dressing up- I've sailed NCL twice so am more than familiar with casual cruise dressing. I just don't want to look like a plonker wearing a formal dress in a sea of jeans!

I think this question gets asked over and over because it's so confusing.

There's always 3 different answers (with a certain degree of exaggeration):

1: "Princess says you only have to wear this. Plus they don't bother enforcing it"

2: "On my 100 cruises with Princess nobody has every dressed up"

3: "On my 100 cruises with Princess everybody dresses up"

You can't blame newbies (like me!) for being confused! Personally I love to dress up and get so little chance to do so and would love to wear a long dress on formal night.

I don't judge others if they don't fancy dressing up- I've sailed NCL twice so am more than familiar with casual cruise dressing. I just don't want to look like a plonker wearing a formal dress in a sea of jeans!

You'll fit in fine. The small group of casual naysayers who like to claim everyone is now going casual, are full of it. Plenty of pax still like to show some style, knock yourself out!

I wouldn't nuke it. It showed you trying to make someone look bad, when it made you look bad! Perhaps you should carefully read the text next time, before giving an opinion that kinda back fired.

;p Agree.

The "mine" is the vow we made 53 years ago. I don't want to jeopardise that over a coat and tie.

YMMV.

If something as simple as wearing a coat & tie would jeopardize your marriage it's obvious that your very obedient.

My wife would have left 52 years ago but I trained her from the get go not to even expect things like that.

Enjoy your cruise.

I am dressing as Princess allows to not only please myself but also my wife. I have been doing this for 42 years and do not intend to change that. Will stay with long sleeve shirt, nice pants, tie and athletic shoes. Have never heard anyone say it ruined their meal. I do hope some one complains some day. It would then get fun.

If something as simple as wearing a coat & tie would jeopardize your marriage it's obvious that your very obedient.

My wife would have left 52 years ago but I trained her from the get go not to even expect things like that.

Enjoy your cruise.

You "trained her"? Hope she doesn't see this! LOL!

Enjoy your cruise.

I find that "Corelle" dinnerware doesn't break as easy as the good china when thrown at something. This from my personal experience? Hmmm, could be!

Edited by keithm
additions

You'll fit in fine. The small group of casual naysayers who like to claim everyone is now going casual, are full of it. Plenty of pax still like to show some style, knock yourself out!

Agreed -- you'll fit in just fine. You'll see lots of attire in the same style as yours.

On our most recent cruise ( Emerald to Alaska), the Maitre D' and staff were indeed enforcing the dress code.

Wear your pretty dress, enjoy the dinner, and I'm sure you will look lovely. Don't worry, be happy. :)

We saw people in formals and tux as early as 4pm at which time I was still in shorts and a t-shirt. They either had a really early dinner or were going to do photos or whatever.

Bottom line--you'll see a wide range of clothing. Princess had many more people dressed up than some other lines I've been on. Wear what you want to; you won't be out of place.

We saw people in formals and tux as early as 4pm at which time I was still in shorts and a t-shirt. They either had a really early dinner or were going to do photos or whatever.

Bottom line--you'll see a wide range of clothing. Princess had many more people dressed up than some other lines I've been on. Wear what you want to; you won't be out of place.

Yeah, that IS early. We're usually just getting back from excursions at that time.