Shuttles

scorpio123456

Tromso had no shuttles, we docked right in town - in fact I do not recall any shuttles in any of the Norwegian ports we visited - can you be more specific what other ports are you interested in

30 minutes ago, uktog said:

Tromso had no shuttles, we docked right in town - in fact I do not recall any shuttles in any of the Norwegian ports we visited - can you be more specific what other ports are you interested in

Thanks for that - that’s what I was hoping. The cruise we’re doing is the North Cape on Journey in July. The other ports are Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, Svolvaer, Honningsvag, Bodo, Trondheim, Molde & Olden.

We’ve booked a ships tour in Olden (Lake & Glacier), and private tours in Honningsvag (Blue Puffin Tour) & Svolvaer (RIB tour With Sea Eagles) & have booked the Geiranger Panoramic Bus Tour. We aim to book the Flam railway ourselves. Any information about whether we’re likely to be docked in town in any of these would be appreciated.

Been to all of these with Azamara except Bodo, no shuttles in any.  Olden you need to arrange something as the pier is literally and quaintly roadside but there are very good operators offering trips right there Olden Adventures, book in advance.  Personally I would not hold out to do the Flam railway on your own as sometimes the order of ports gets swapped around and when we were there, the train was fully booked out to the cruise line.

Edited by uktog

12 minutes ago, uktog said:

Been to all of these with Azamara except Bodo, no shuttles in any.  Olden you need to arrange something as the pier is literally and quaintly roadside but there are very good operators offering trips right there Olden Adventures, book in advance.  Personally I would not hold out to do the Flam railway on your own as sometimes the order of ports gets swapped around and when we were there, the train was fully booked out to the cruise line.

Thanks for the information - very helpful indeed. Olden is fine because we’re doing a ship’s excursion there. The reason I wanted to book Flam ourselves was because I heard if you wait until you get there it’ll be all booked up, as you said, but I hadn’t thought about ports being changed. I guess we’ll have to give it some more thought. The private tours I’ve booked all have a refund policy if we don’t get into port, and will, I’m sure, allow us to switch dates if port dates are changed

I’m thinking we might do that. Just had a look at the Flam railway site and they now have July dates available and they’re all sold out for the times we’re in port. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised as I think that as well as the Journey the Pullmantur Zenith and the Crystal Serenity are in port that day too.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’m thinking we might do that. Just had a look at the Flam railway site and they now have July dates available and they’re all sold out for the times we’re in port. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised as I think that as well as the Journey the Pullmantur Zenith and the Crystal Serenity are in port that day too.

You can do a lot worse in Flam than take a walk if the train is a no go.  It’s seriously beautiful.  We tendered and one other ship was docked.

Phil

F8A0EC0E-A8DD-4402-A42C-8882631DFA42.jpeg

180D132E-1F35-4341-8851-B7CC2FB0559B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for the information - very helpful indeed. Olden is fine because we’re doing a ship’s excursion there. The reason I wanted to book Flam ourselves was because I heard if you wait until you get there it’ll be all booked up, as you said, but I hadn’t thought about ports being changed. I guess we’ll have to give it some more thought. The private tours I’ve booked all have a refund policy if we don’t get into port, and will, I’m sure, allow us to switch dates if port dates are changed

So does the Flam Railway have a refund insurance - worth paying.

It seems to depend who you book it through. If you book it through the Visit Flam site it looks as if there’s a cancellation insurance you can buy which provides a refund as long as you can cancel the day before the booking. I don’t know how much it costs because I couldn’t progress the booking because it was sold out.

if you book it direct through the railway company, then I couldn’t see any mention of cancellation insurance, but they only sell tickets 90 days before the booking.

If I recall correctly, the railway journey itself cost about £100 and the insurance £10 - we did actually have to cancel, as we had to disembark early in the inaugural cruise of Pursuit and the full refund was processed timeously. It may have been Visit Flam.

27 minutes ago, Ready 4 the next 1 said:

Does anyone know if a shuttle is provided in Valencia, Spain?

There was indeed one offered in Valencia last June and it took us within easy walking distance of the gates to the old city.

There was some confusion about its availability, so you first might want to check on board.

Compared to other ports, it seems a rather lengthy ride , but it is a remarkable site to visit and well worth it.

6AC3133E-07E8-4DE6-91DB-3571CCD4B373.jpeg

13 minutes ago, nordski said:

There was indeed one offered in Valencia last June and it took us within easy walking distance of the gates to the old city.

There was some confusion about its availability, so you first might want to check on board.

Compared to other ports, it seems a rather lengthy ride , but it is a remarkable site to visit and well worth it.

6AC3133E-07E8-4DE6-91DB-3571CCD4B373.jpeg

That sounds good.  Hopefully, they still do this.  I did get info on the Shorebee shuttle there just in case, so we should be OK one way or the other.  Thanks so much for the info!

• 11 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 1:51 PM, BBMacLaird said:

The logistical planning of our complimentary shuttles are decided by the shipboard personnel. As said by others, much depends on the dock assigned, and/or if tendering to port, where exactly. Also some destinations are within walking distance, and some destinations won't allow complimentary shuttles, such as some in Italy.

All in all its difficult to say, but we do try to make it easy for you to get into town on your own.

BBMacLaird

We on Azamara Quest Myanmar's Mysteries Voyage Embarking Singapore Oct 31.

I am trying to ascertain whether Azamara provides shuttles into the City of Yangoon from the port (understand about 15 miles 1+ hours drive). Spoke to Azamara client services but did not get definitive answers but got sense there wouldn't be. However another poster indicated there was.

Could you please clarify. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, LJRVancouver said:

BBMacLaird

We on Azamara Quest Myanmar's Mysteries Voyage Embarking Singapore Oct 31.

I am trying to ascertain whether Azamara provides shuttles into the City of Yangoon from the port (understand about 15 miles 1+ hours drive). Spoke to Azamara client services but did not get definitive answers but got sense there wouldn't be. However another poster indicated there was.

Could you please clarify. Thanks 

Hi LJRVancouver, good news...I’ve heard that there will be a complimentary shuttle in to Yangoon. The drop off point is expected to be the Shangri La Hotel, but that could change, so check once onboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi LJRVancouver, good news...I’ve heard that there will be a complimentary shuttle in to Yangoon. The drop off point is expected to be the Shangri La Hotel, but that could change, so check once onboard.

That is good news and will make a big difference Yangon is a lovely place to explore on your own, the people are so kind and welcoming 

• Like 1

Thank you for your response very helpful. Another question.

We would like to book an evening excursion in Yangon. Will the excursion include a pickup point in the city as well as the port? Otherwise if we go into the city during day we would then need to return to ship to meet excursion and turn around to back to return to city - about 3 hours of needless time on bus. Thank you.

52 minutes ago, LJRVancouver said:

Thank you for your response very helpful. Another question.

We would like to book an evening excursion in Yangon. Will the excursion include a pickup point in the city as well as the port? Otherwise if we go into the city during day we would then need to return to ship to meet excursion and turn around to back to return to city - about 3 hours of needless time on bus. Thank you.

You should check once you're onboard. I've not heard of an excursion picking up guests any place other than ship-side, but it can't hurt to ask.

One time in Malta, some people spent the day in Mdina (approximately 13 kilometres or 8 miles away) and joined the Azamazing evening at the Cathedral there without returning to the ship in between.

That said, Yangon might not be as straightforward as Mdina. As Bonnie said, check once on board.

• Like 1