No flip flops or basketball shorts in MDR?!

MommyAJ6

He won't argue it or complain, it was my question, not his. I've just never been on a cruise so I didn't want to tell him no and walk in to see a room full of basketball shorts anyway. I had no idea this would be so controversial.
The initial response in post #2 gave you a warning as to how this thread could go. Dress code in MDR'S on cruiselines has been a point of contention on these boards for years. There is the group that wants to wear what they want when they want because it's their vacation and any suggested guidelines are ignored. There is the other group that just wants people to follow the rules when it comes to the dress code. There are others that don't care what anybody else wears because they are myopic. It has in the past, as alluded to in post #2 to threads being closed.

The initial response in post #2 gave you a warning as to how this thread could go. Dress code in MDR'S on cruiselines has been a point of contention on these boards for years. There is the group that wants to wear what they want when they want because it's their vacation and any suggested guidelines are ignored. There is the other group that just wants people to follow the rules when it comes to the dress code. There are others that don't care what anybody else wears because they are myopic. It has in the past, as alluded to in post #2 to threads being closed.

You forgot the most important Group. The Group that enjoys their own vacation, doesn't care what others wear and are NOT "myopic".

You forgot the most important Group. The Group that enjoys their own vacation, doesn't care what others wear and are NOT "myopic".

You obviously are myopic in one degree and that is because you have Carnival blinders on and have not broadened your horizons by seeing what other cruiselines have to offer since all 10 of your past cruises according to your signature have been with Carnival. It is a rather boring way to vacation, IMHO, but you are fully entitled to it since it's your dime.

You obviously are myopic in one degree and that is because you have Carnival blinders on and have not broadened your horizons by seeing what other cruiselines have to offer since all 10 of your past cruises according to your signature have been with Carnival. It is a rather boring way to vacation, IMHO, but you are fully entitled to it since it's your dime.

Wrong again, but you obviously feel the need to judge people you've never meant from behind your keyboard. Kind of a sad way to go through life but hey it's your life. Have a good one!

If you would feel comfortable w your kid wearing the clothes at a beach resort, it will work on a Carnival cruise also. good rule of thumb

No need for a good rule of thumb when you have the code written out in black and white for all to see.

And IMO, a parent, fully knowing what the rules are, asking if their child can break the rules ("how strict are they") isn't being a parent.

No need for a good rule of thumb when you have the code written out in black and white for all to see.

And IMO, a parent, fully knowing what the rules are, asking if their child can break the rules ("how strict are they") isn't being a parent.

I try not to argue, but this has nothing to do with my parenting. My kids are very well behaved, respectful, honest, kind people. I wasn't asking for my child to break the rules. I wanted to know how strict this was because I didn't want to tell him that basketball shorts are inappropriate and then walk in to a room full of bathing suit cover ups and ripped jeans.

And to be honest, even if I were to say, the rule says you can't but go ahead, he would want to follow the rules.

Well I’m just helping OP w a little bit of reality; dining on a Carnival Cruise is like dining at a beach side resort. What you’d wear to a sit down restaurant at a resort will work on a cruise. If it was a strict dress code it would list a requirement of select few items. It doesn’t because it’s not a strict dress code in black and white. No big deal. Just trying to help OP based on 26 years of experience about CCL ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well I’m just helping OP w a little bit of reality; dining on a Carnival Cruise is like dining at a beach side resort. What you’d wear to a sit down restaurant at a resort will work on a cruise. If it was a strict dress code it would list a requirement of select few items. It doesn’t because it’s not a strict dress code in black and white. No big deal. Just trying to help OP based on 26 years of experience about CCL ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(y)(y)

OP was referring to herself wearing flip flops with a sundress- if you think that sneakers with a sundress looks better than flipflops, all I can say is, oh my!

I totally agree. I LOVE flip flops and collect as many colors and styles as possible. Although most are rubber or some kind of flexible material, I have some that are pretty pricy for what they are, ( like over $75), and would not hesitate to wear them with a cute summer dress on casual nights. I take care of my feet and toenails and they look great in minimal coverage shoes. I would never wear sneakers in the MDR at night - ugh, ( and I have some very cool sneakers also - LOL.)

People from Camden should not be giving etiquette lessons or fashion advice
So, do all of your cruises stop at Key West or do you prefer the Grand Princess that embarks from San Francisco?

And the only fashion advice I gave is for people to just adhere to the guidelines that the various cruiselines want you to follow, nothing more, nothing less.

Could not agree more. These days the cruiselines provide suggestions as to what to wear in the MDR, not requirements like it was back in the day. The problem is when a certain percentage of people take those suggestions and interpret them in their own way to no longer wear what is required at a minimum. Since it's their vacation, they feel like they can do what they want. Especially since it's a YMMV when it comes to Carnival as well as other lines enforcing the suggestions of MDR wear, or chair hogging or other areas of contention.

I try not to argue, but this has nothing to do with my parenting. My kids are very well behaved, respectful, honest, kind people. I wasn't asking for my child to break the rules. I wanted to know how strict this was because I didn't want to tell him that basketball shorts are inappropriate and then walk in to a room full of bathing suit cover ups and ripped jeans.

And to be honest, even if I were to say, the rule says you can't but go ahead, he would want to follow the rules.

There are some on this forum that want to rile you up. Just ignore them. You ask a question and get an answer......they can't resist starting something.

Enjoy your cruise....sounds like fun with that many kids!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just read that there are no flip flops or basketball shorts allowed in the MDR. My son only wears basketball shorts and I think flip flops with a sun dress looks better than sneakers lol, how strict are they with this?

My philosophy is; I’m on vacation I should be able to do what the hell I want! Barefoot if I so choose!

They don't enforce anything so go to dinner dressed anyway you want. And the buffet is a very popular option so much so I can see cruise lines doing away with the dinning rooms or at least only having one!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

This is true. Just off Carnival Conquest last week. Saw one clown with a baseball hat,some with shorts,some with jeans on elegant night. I don't feel they will stop you and possibly impact the tips for the servers. Some sneakers on elegant night as well. It really doesn't bother me.

There are some on this forum that want to rile you up. Just ignore them. You ask a question and get an answer......they can't resist starting something.

Enjoy your cruise....sounds like fun with that many kids!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let's gt one thing straight. When someone asks how tight or loose any company is with it's regulations, they are the ones starting something.

It's funny how you and others think some people have the right to say whatever they want, no matter how wrong it is but if someone states that what is asked or said is wrong, they are the ones with the problem. It just cracks up. ;p:')

My philosophy is; I’m on vacation I should be able to do what the hell I want! Barefoot if I so choose!

Might as well go to the MDR nude then. :o:eek:

Just make sure you wipe your bottom well so you don't leave a stain on the chair! ;):D

Another card carrying member of the me generation. Why don't you cruise on NCL, whose dress code is even more lax than Carnival's, you can wear t shirt, denim shorts and a baseball cap in their steakhouse.

It appears the only snowflake mentality is amongst those wanting rigid adherence to a suggested example. What's up with that? Let me know when the waiters stop doing stripper shows on podiums, while you're at it.

We have found some great inexpensive stuff for our boys to wear that is a bit nicer at Old Navy. For some reason they enjoy getting a bit dressed up on cruises! This surprised us. But we do find that most nights they want to grab pizza or whatever and head to the kids club while we do dinner in the MDR. I have seen people in the MDR in clothing that violates the dress code, but they do stick out. I think kids feel better about themselves when they are dressed appropriately. Just my take on it.