Multi-tools. Yes or No?

Does anyone have any experience taking a multi-tool on board? I have an older Gerber multi-tool similar to this:

4e76e1d499ea606bf2c584271a2c2366--bushcraft-kit-camp-gear.jpg

They're just handy to have around, I use mine for all kinds of miscellaneous things. The two blades, one straight edge and one serrated, are 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches long, so they do fall within Carnival's exceptions for knives. They prohibit "concealed bladed weapons," but a multi-tool doesn't really fit in with the examples they give of that. I was curious if anyone's ever taken one on board.

4e76e1d499ea606bf2c584271a2c2366--bushcraft-kit-camp-gear.jpg.7b8c52c073e16e1d404873be2eeb551f.jpg

Hi

If you feel you need to bring it, I would put it in my checked luggage. The people scanning your carry-ons don't like any kind of tool (if they see it). I once had to speak with a supervisor to allow me to bring on a small adjustable wrench that I used to adjust my wife's wheelchair.

hope this helps

Hi

If you feel you need to bring it, I would put it in my checked luggage. The people scanning your carry-ons don't like any kind of tool (if they see it). I once had to speak with a supervisor to allow me to bring on a small adjustable wrench that I used to adjust my wife's wheelchair.

hope this helps

It's not that I feel like I need it, it's just something I find comes in handy for a lot of things. I wouldn't carry it around, I'd just leave it in my suitcase as a just in case. But if all goes as planned, I won't be checking my luggage, so if terminal security tends to pick things like this out, I don't know.

It's not the knife part they would object to, but that it is a tool. Tools used to be specifically on the list of prohibited items, but I didn't see it now when I skimmed them. There used to be only one list, but now there are at least two, so tools may still be listed somewhere.

One time I was told I could take a pair of needle nose pliers back to my car or forfeit them.

In checked luggage, probably no big deal.

My husband rarely leaves home without his. He always puts it in his checked luggage, but one time he forgot and they wouldn't let him board with it. Fortunately, we had driven to the port, so he was able to run it back to the car. When it is in checked bags, no problem, knock on wood. Have fun on your cruise.

I carry a Swiss army knife in my purse, "just in case." You never know when you might need one. I try to remember to put it in my checked luggage when I travel but I have gotten through security with one. Not intentionally.

My daughter had a cross country flight recently and managed to fly both ways with not one, but TWO box cutters in her purse. (She's a supervisor at Costco, and they often have to open boxes.) She didn't do it on purpose. Just forgot they were there. And these are heavy duty box cutters, not some cheap, flimsy blade.

After x-ray she was pulled out of the line to check her purse. They checked, and then let her continue on her way. They never did find the box cutters -- still managed to miss both of them with x ray and visual inspection.

TSA is doing a bang-up job! :confused::eek:

Sorry, I'm getting off topic. Back to the original question, I think you can take something like this in your checked luggage. No problem at all. Putting it in carry on luggage could be a different question. Don't bother. Just check it. Nice to have in case of any sort of malfunction. I have used my Swiss army knife for everything from corkscrew to fixing broken suitcase zipper to cutting cheese, fruit or other snacks.

While not on the "prohibited items" list, these can be considered as falling under the "tools of trade" clause in the ticket contract, which bans them. So, you may or may not be allowed to keep this for the cruise.

I have the exact one pictured and have taken it on every cruise. I have used it to cut a hole in my water shoe when it caused a blister, cut off sharp parts of my suitcase that was delivered to my room broken, and spreading cheese on crackers when I didn't feel like going to Lido to get a knife. I put it in a hanging pocket thing similar to a shoe bag but much smaller that I have for small items. No one has ever said anything even though it's in plain sight of room stewards. I've packed it in checked luggage and carryon. No problems.

This is actually a great question. I have the Dewalt multi purpose, and I would love to bring it with me. I never considered bringing it on a cruise, but what the hey, why not. I can see why they would stop you from taking on board though, I can re-build a motor with all the tools...lol

I have the exact one pictured and have taken it on every cruise. I have used it to cut a hole in my water shoe when it caused a blister, cut off sharp parts of my suitcase that was delivered to my room broken, and spreading cheese on crackers when I didn't feel like going to Lido to get a knife. I put it in a hanging pocket thing similar to a shoe bag but much smaller that I have for small items. No one has ever said anything even though it's in plain sight of room stewards. I've packed it in checked luggage and carryon. No problems.

I have one too and I have brought it on every cruise. I put it in my checked baggage and have never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have read on this forum about leatherman tools being confiscated.

At the time I did not know what a leatherman tool was and looked it up.

I don't know when it was, but you may be able to find the thread.

We have. We fly with it too. Always in checked luggage and we take black electrical tape and wind it around it.

The tape has always come in handy (hems, broken glasses, the damn curtain, etc) and we've never had an issue.

I also have a miniature version of yours that I never take out of my makeup bag.

Thanks for the info. For a couple of you who have brought it up, it has nothing to do with thinking I'll need to repair something that's part of the ship. It's for my own use. I'm not going to ask for maintenance to bring me a pair of pliers for a stuck zipper or any other unexpected occurrences where something like this would be useful. I found some of the other threads about Leathermans (multi-tools). Some of them are quite old, many of them pertain to other cruise lines with stricter rules about blades. I understand chengkp75's point that it's more about the fact that it's a tool and not so much about the blade. I, personally, wouldn't call it a "tool of trade," but they make the decisions, so what can you do? In the end, it seems to be luck of the draw.

We have. We fly with it too. Always in checked luggage and we take black electrical tape and wind it around it.

The tape has always come in handy (hems, broken glasses, the damn curtain, etc) and we've never had an issue.

I also have a miniature version of yours that I never take out of my makeup bag.

What do you mean when you say you wind the tape around the multi-tool? Do you mean literally tape up the multi-tool? I'm a bit confused since you said you use the tape for other things.

What do you mean when you say you wind the tape around the multi-tool? Do you mean literally tape up the multi-tool? I'm a bit confused since you said you use the tape for other things.
I think they just wrap a piece of tape around it so they can use the tape at a later time. I do the same with duct tape and an old gift card. Wrap a couple feet of duct tape around the card, so can unroll the tape as needed...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Forums mobile app

I have an old SOG that was a gift when I was in high school, and love it. As far as being allowed on this ship or not, I cannot say. I have seen security give a guy a hard time about a scuba-diving knife that he had originally brought on board unnoticed, and was bringing it back on the ship after a diving excursion in port. I overheard security officer say "We just prefer to know ahead of time." I don't know what that is all about exactly, but that is what I can share.

Two years ago on Conquest, I had bought a Cuban Cohiba cigar in Nassau, but he ship had "misplaced" their cigar cutter. Not being able to bring it back legally into the States, and not wanting to waste it, I ended up practically shredding the end of my cigar cutting it with a pair of scissors borrowed from guest services. A sharp blade on a multi-tool would have proven very helpful there to do a make-shift bullet cut.

As you mentioned, the blade is well under their 4 in rule, but if you didn't want to chance it, you could always leave your good Gerber at home, and buy a $5 off-brand multi-tool to bring. If they don't allow it on board, you can discard it and eat the costs.

I have an old SOG that was a gift when I was in high school, and love it. As far as being allowed on this ship or not, I cannot say. I have seen security give a guy a hard time about a scuba-diving knife that he had originally brought on board unnoticed, and was bringing it back on the ship after a diving excursion in port. I overheard security officer say "We just prefer to know ahead of time." I don't know what that is all about exactly, but that is what I can share.

As you mentioned, the blade is well under their 4 in rule, but if you didn't want to chance it, you could always leave your good Gerber at home, and buy a $5 off-brand multi-tool to bring. If they don't allow it on board, you can discard it and eat the costs.

Carnival does allow dive knives, but they have to be left with security and checked out/in for dive excursions. Yeah, buying a cheapo multi-tool is an option. Mine is decades old and if it got confiscated without being returned, I suppose it'd give me a good excuse to buy a new one. :D But it's been old faithful, that's for sure.

We're taking a shuttle to the port, so I can't leave it in our car if it was denied. But I did read an account of someone burying theirs under a rock outside the terminal and retrieving it when they got back from the cruise. LOL