Infinity-Edge Plunge Pool Question

llam

The Infinity-Edge Plunge Pool outside the Canyon Ranch Spa looks amazing.

Is the us of this pool for all passengers or only when a treatment is booked?

Just be aware that alcoholic beverages are not permitted, and the water level is lowered a couple feet while at sea, presumably so you will avoid washing overboard :-)

OK, never really paid much attention about the water level, so why call it an infinity pool if that's the case?

OK, never really paid much attention about the water level, so why call it an infinity pool if that's the case?

Good question. In my 3 cruises so far on the Explorer I have yet to see the Infinity pool filled up all the way to the point where the water was spilling over the top. Only seen it filled to about 12-18 from the top. Don't know why either. And the minute there is any wave action the pool is fully drained.

J

The pool was filled to the top when I enjoyed a quiet afternoon in Cartagena, but checking my photos, I notice that there's a small clear barrier at the end, so I think it'd be pretty difficult to be washed over...

I blogged about it the spa that day with a few photos of the pool, which might help explain here It is small and it's also tricky to access if you have difficulty with steps, but very lovely, especially if you have it to yourself.

The pool was filled to the top when I enjoyed a quiet afternoon in Cartagena, but checking my photos, I notice that there's a small clear barrier at the end, so I think it'd be pretty difficult to be washed over...

Gilly, your photo shows the pool only partly filled.

When the pool is filled, the water "falls" over the top.

Here are a few pic's of the infinity pool when it is full.

J

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVGYVL-DyIQUCXF1Dlyoyl8wWWhwg7-TEtNkq0-mYwoTZ-3YVx

tui-berlin-infinity-pool-1024x681.jpg

pool-regent-seven-seas-explorer.jpg

This last one is directly from the RSSC site:

Explorer_infinitypool_block.jpg

It is the only Regent ship that it is on at the moment but Splendor will have one as well!

And the infinity pool takes the place of Horizon Lounge; which should have been slated for both Explorer and Splendour; my favorite lounge on Mariner and Voyager with both wonderful inside and outside space and a good stage and dance floor.

On the other hand, when we were in 787 on Explorer, we could throw grapes to those in the infinity pool. On the other hand, if they were obnoxiously loud, I guess I could thrown tomatoes. Never saw more than one or two in the pool. Nice thing is that kids are not supposed to be in infinity pool although I did see that rule violated.

Marc

And the infinity pool takes the place of Horizon Lounge; which should have been slated for both Explorer and Splendour; my favorite lounge on Mariner and Voyager with both wonderful inside and outside space and a good stage and dance floor.

On the other hand, when we were in 787 on Explorer, we could throw grapes to those in the infinity pool. On the other hand, if they were obnoxiously loud, I guess I could thrown tomatoes. Never saw more than one or two in the pool. Nice thing is that kids are not supposed to be in infinity pool although I did see that rule violated.

Marc

Thanks for the info. I agree that I would much rather have a Horizon Lounge on the back of the ship. And I too saw almost no one using the infinity pool on my 3 Explorer cruises.

J

Thanks for the info. I agree that I would much rather have a Horizon Lounge on the back of the ship. And I too saw almost no one using the infinity pool on my 3 Explorer cruises.

J

.............. but as the OP found, the infinity pool looks good in the photos in Regent’s glossy brochures.

Unfortunately, IMO, the infinity pool is an example of “style over practicality” applied during the design of some aspects of Explorer.

The theatre on Explorer is another example of this unfortunate philosophy.

On LAX to MIA in Jan. 2017 the infinity pool area was very often full. The Panama Canal passage was quite interesting from this vantage point. It's a nice haven from the main pool. The proximity to the spa allows one to enjoy the sauna or steam room or aroma therapy shower or cold room before plunging in the pool.

There are plenty of places to get a drink on board. IMO this is an amenity worth more than yet another lounge.

I definitely do not think that the infinity pool was a mistake in any way. The fact that it is underutilized sometimes makes it even a nicer, quieter place to just hang out and watch the ocean. Fortunately for those of you that like the Horizon Lounge, three of Regent ships have it. We have always preferred the Observation Lounge (which the Navigator does not have and most people do not complain about it) and on Explorer like both the Meridian and Explorer lounges. We prefer to stay away from the Horizon Lounge because of the smoking area outside*.

*I know that this sounds a strange comment but when people return to the lounge after having a cigarette, they stink to high heaven. By the time they reach the other lounges, they have aired out a bit:evilsmile:

*I know that this sounds a strange comment but when people return to the lounge after having a cigarette, they stink to high heaven. By the time they reach the other lounges, they have aired out a bitclear.png?emoji-smile-1684

Well, some people stink using cologne and that will not kill us nor will the smell of someone who had a cigarette in a designated area.

I definitely do not think that the infinity pool was a mistake in any way. The fact that it is underutilized sometimes makes it even a nicer, quieter place to just hang out and watch the ocean. Fortunately for those of you that like the Horizon Lounge, three of Regent ships have it. We have always preferred the Observation Lounge (which the Navigator does not have and most people do not complain about it) and on Explorer like both the Meridian and Explorer lounges. We prefer to stay away from the Horizon Lounge because of the smoking area outside*.

*I know that this sounds a strange comment but when people return to the lounge after having a cigarette, they stink to high heaven. By the time they reach the other lounges, they have aired out a bit:evilsmile:

Presumably you find a similar problem of smelly smokers coming into the Observation Lounge on Explorer from the Connoisseurs Club next door.

Fortunately we have not noticed this issue in any of the lounges on Regent ships.

Back to the topic of the Infinity pool, we really enjoyed it on our Explorer cruise through the Panama Canal a year and a bit ago. It is a great place to do some pool exercises while enjoying a beautiful view in a quiet setting. Looking forward to taking advantage of the pool again at Christmas time while doing our Capetown to Capetown. In fact one of the considerations of our room location for that cruise was the easy access to the gym and infinity pool.

Pat and Marg

Back to the topic of the Infinity pool, we really enjoyed it on our Explorer cruise through the Panama Canal a year and a bit ago. It is a great place to do some pool exercises while enjoying a beautiful view in a quiet setting. Looking forward to taking advantage of the pool again at Christmas time while doing our Capetown to Capetown. In fact one of the considerations of our room location for that cruise was the easy access to the gym and infinity pool.

Pat and Marg

Thanks so much for managing to get this back on track. I apologize for even stating why I don't like the aft lounges - it wasn't meant to start attacks on anyone.

You are the second poster this week that posted how good the infinity pool was going through the Panama Canal. While we won't be doing a Panama Canal cruise until 2020 on the Splendor, we'll make a point to check out the aft views from the infinity. pool!

The seating area around the infinity pool was well utilized on our voyage from LAX to MIA. Seating capacity may be ~20; and during peak times 15-18 folks were accommodated. The couple's lounges with a movable cover/sunscreen were particularly sought after. The water level itself was mostly at the brim as we had mostly minimal seas. Pool occupancy was generally 1-3 bathers.

IMO the venue is quite relaxing.