Enhanced Drivers License from Arkansas & Boarding Royal Caribbean??

We were looking at cruises online and a few days later a RC rep called us asking if we had questions. I had mentioned that she didn't have a passport and mine expired two weeks before the cruise so I wasn't most likely going to move forward with it. The rep told me no worries, no need for a passport on closed loop cruise (Miami: Key West, Bahamas 4 Day).

I asked if my EDL was fine to use, and her birth certificate. Rep said no problem.

I go to check in yesterday and do not see Arkansas on the list of EDL's. Only Michigan, Vermont, New York, and Washington. Arkansas just recently got their EDL. I call a rep and they tell me if it's not on the list it can't be used. I'm in a panic, I go to locate my birth certificate.. Can't find it. I believe it's in a safety deposit box which couldn't be gotten to till Monday when we will be porting 1,000+ miles away. I do have a copy of it that was notarized by a public notary not an official government agency.

I call RC again this morning and ask about my EDL. The rep today tells me that it's just fine to use my EDL and that they will take care of it at the port, just not on the website. I still don't feel 100% confident in everything.

Has anyone actually successfully gotten on a cruise just using their EDL from a different state than the four on the list?

I'm going to bring my EDL, Expired Passport from 10 days ago, Social Security Card, and a copy of my birth certificate (not official government issued copy) but it's so frustrating the misinformation that I had been fed.

Welcome to cruise critic.

I don't think the driver's license will be a problem - basically that's just a form of ID. I would be more concerned not having an original birth certificate in lieu of a passport. RC Usually requires original birth certificates. I wouldn't bother taking a social security card - not relevant as it doesn't prove birth or nationality. Also wouldn't want to risk losing or someone stealing number.

Not sure what misinformation you have been given. It's pretty plainly spelled out on RC website, plus passenger's responsibility.

Arkansas drivers license fulfills the “Real ID” requirement, but is NOT WITI compliant.

Two different things.

Yes, Arkansas named their new DL as Enhanced, but they only are confusing the terminology.

You will meet the new standards of being able to show your new ID at TSA checkpoints to clear security, but you cannot use it at land or sea border crossings to re-enter the United States.

I agree, Social Security card is worthless as proof that you are a citizen. Don’t risk losing it when it serves no purpose in this situation.

I think that your notarized copy birth certificate along with your expired passport will probably get you on the ship, unless you are really unlucky and get an agent in a very bad mood who doesn’t want to be helpful. I know that the RC agent told you that it would be OK but you still should have made sure for yourself.

Arkansas drivers license fulfills the “Real ID” requirement, but is NOT WITI compliant.

Two different things.

Yes, Arkansas named their new DL as Enhanced, but they only are confusing the terminology.

You will meet the new standards of being able to show your new ID at TSA checkpoints to clear security, but you cannot use it at land or sea border crossings to re-enter the United States.

My Arkansas ID is enhanced. There is another basic Arkansas ID but mine required me to show my original birth certificate, and Passport to get. I also had to pay extra for it. It has the enhanced star. Or did my own state scam me? It says enhanced on my dmv paperwork for $40.00

Edited by kmad86

I agree, Social Security card is worthless as proof that you are a citizen. Don’t risk losing it when it serves no purpose in this situation.

I think that your notarized copy birth certificate along with your expired passport will probably get you on the ship, unless you are really unlucky and get an agent in a very bad mood who doesn’t want to be helpful. I know that the RC agent told you that it would be OK but you still should have made sure for yourself.

I am with you on it being useless, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to bring in addition.

My Arkansas ID is enhanced. There is another basic Arkansas ID but mine required me to show my original birth certificate, and Passport to get. I also had to pay extra for it. It has the enhanced star. Or did my own state scam me? It says enhanced on my dmv paperwork for $40.00

I agree that it says “Enhanced”.

That is in name only.

The basic DL is not Real ID compliant.

The new DL is Real ID compliant

Real ID compliant does not equal WITI compliant

But, you know better.

Your DL will NOT allow you to cross the border like mine from Washington State will.

It’s in safe deposit box.

Can you access, or have someone else access and overnight it to you. I would not risk not having especially with no passport and questions on DL. How about expedited passport renewal - are you close to a city where you could drive and do?

Can you access, or have someone else access and overnight it to you. I would not risk not having especially with no passport and questions on DL. How about expedited passport renewal - are you close to a city where you could drive and do?

No because cruise leaves Monday at 3, and bank doesn’t open until 7am Monday 1000 miles away.

Perhaps, however, RC has always been very clear about original birth certificates. Hopefully the notarized copy has a raised notary seal - that might help. My understanding was agent told you that your DL was okay, not birth certificate. Personally would be scrambling to get appropriate paperwork as you might be risking your cruise.

No because cruise leaves Monday at 3, and bank doesn’t open until 7am Monday 1000 miles away.

Posted at the same time. Not sure of any other options other than calling RC today and speaking to a supervisor and asking for advice/help. If you do and they say okay make sure you have them email confirmation of call and get their name. Good luck!

Perhaps, however, RC has always been very clear about original birth certificates. Hopefully the notarized copy has a raised notary seal - that might help. My understanding was agent told you that your DL was okay, not birth certificate. Personally would be scrambling to get appropriate paperwork as you might be risking your cruise.

Just some clarification on the terms.

Not notarized. Certified. Notaries are not the point with a birth certificate. They have to be certified by the issuing authority.

Posted at the same time. Not sure of any other options other than calling RC today and speaking to a supervisor and asking for advice/help. If you do and they say okay make sure you have them email confirmation of call and get their name. Good luck!

What’s a good number to call to reach someone in the states?

Not notarized. Certified. Notaries are not the point with a birth certificate. They have to be certified by the issuing authority.

What’s ridiculous is the first agent actually told me that I just needed it to be notarized. Specifically notarized they said. Obviously they weren’t properly brushed up on their policy because I discovered later that they specifically say government issued.

Thank you for pointing out - good point.

A few years back someone in line with me at embarkation was denied boarding because they brought a hospital-type BC not the state recorded certified one. Always stuck in my mind that it had to be the original.

Enhanced DLs are not all equal in the federal government's mind, as mentioned on the RCI's website only those 5 states does EDL equivocate with a passport card for land and marine crossings.

But on the other hand it is a valid WHTI acceptable form of photo ID. Along with a copy* of a birth certificate issued by The Department of Health or Vital Statistics, or a consulate report of birth abroad it can be used if on a closed loop cruise to WHTI compliant ports.

Now the better question is does the cruise line accept the bare minimum WHTI compliant documents as being enough for your repatriation after the cruise. If they do not then you might be denied boarding. BUT this is not the end of your vacation, if the check-in clerk refuses you CALMLY request to speak to a Customs Border Patrol officer or a Dept. of Homeland agent. They should be able to clear up any confusion regarding the validity of the BC being used. Make sure you get to the terminal nice and early as this process might take time or they may request you wait (and possibly pay for) a faxed/scanned copy from the issuing office if the copied BC you have is more ceremonial than an official one.

Also as others have mentioned leave your SS card at home. You are at greater risk of that being copied to be used for ID theft than any benefit it might provide you on the trip.

* a copy of a birth certificate is all anyone ever gets as the original remains on file with the agency that issued it.

I am confused. What piece of notarized paper are you calling a ‘copy’ of your birth certificate? Is the one you ‘think’ may be in the safe deposit box at the currently closed bank different or is it issued by the same entity (eg: a duplicate.)

Is the notarized copy you have a government issued document typically obtained from the County (@ least in CA) where you were born? Normally those are certified by the governmental agency that issues them when you pay for your copy.

Or is the copy you have a notarized document from some other, non governmental entity (like the hospital)? If so, why would that document be notarized anyway?

If nothing else

It was reported on another board last week where someone left their passport on the plane in the seatback. They did have a photo copy.

They got in line at the Passport office in Miami about 7AM. Office opened at 8.

They had a new passport in hand by noon.

Take a photo at CVS or Walgreens today. Take the photo and your expired passport tomorrow morning,,,,,,and walk out with a new one.

Okay, I don't cruise for awhile and I have all of my documents in order but I'm going to stick my foot in the piranha infested cruise critic waters to ask a question. What is this WHTI or WITI compliance that people are talking about?

If you go to this link:

https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/driver-services/arkansas-voluntary-enhanced-security-dl-or-id/

which is the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration, you will see that the license with the "star" is listed as meeting the "Real ID" act, which is not the same as an Enhanced Driver's Licence. Both licenses require you to show citizenship to get them, but the Enhanced DL has RFID information in it, and functions almost identically to the "passport card" issued by the US.