Canada/New England on the Maasdam

jlnprt

fouremcoYes, I know it well, having been in Sydney many times on business as well as pleasure, including on a cruise in 2015. David's Teas is currently located at the Mayflower Mall, out by Grand Lake on the outskirts of Sydney, well over an hour's walk one way. It may have been located downtown on Charlotte Street in the past, but there's a fairly rapid turnover of businesses in the area.

Sorry,

Maybe it was hellpful info for someone else?

This area is chock full of early Colonial history, so you have a lot to choose from.

In Quebec City, you can go up to the Plains of Abraham and see how the British scaled the heights to defeat the French in the French & Indian War. Quite a feat.

While you are up there, stop by the Chateau Frontenac to check out the lush splendor.

Walk around the old city, and get a real taste of French culture.

Charlottetown is the place where modern Canada came together. Read up on that, and perhaps rent a car to see some of the important places. While driving around, you can see some of the rugged coast, and the red soil.

In Sydney, head out to Ft. Louisburg for a taste of early colonial life.

Halifax has three cemeteries where victims of the Titanic are buried. The Protestant cemetery has the most graves, and the area is arranged as the bow of a ship, with a large tear in it.

The Maritime Museum has artifacts of the Titanic. You can also learn about the explosion that destroyed part of the City. Very interesting.

Stop by the Citadel, or head out to the public gardens.

In Bar Harbor, you can take Ollie's Trolley tour into Acadia Park. Or get a car to take you, and you can hike through some rugged natural areas not too far from civilization.

Personally, I like the whale watching tours there.

Boston is home to loads of Colonial American History. Take some time to head out to see Old Ironsides, Bunker Hill, or head to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

Or, if the team is in town, head to a MLB game. There is too much to see/do for just one day, so choose wisely.

Hope some of these ideas help.

I totally agree with Ruth on these ideas for Boston and Charlottetown, Bar Harbor, Sydney and Halifax. My family originated in Prince Edward Island. I would take Ruth's advice about seeing the countryside, rugged coast, Prince Edward Island National Park, East Point, quaint churches and the beautiful farmlands and red roofs and red dirt! . Renting a car is a great idea for PEI. Personally, although beautiful grounds, the Anne of Green Gables complex is a tourist trap and a bit of a waste of time and money, when there is so much beauty to see on this island.

Thinking of renting a car in Charlottetown and/or Sydney. Thoughts on the best "drive to" sights? Do not like organized tours or crowds. Love nature, particularly coastlines and parks where we can walk. Also, love food so a restaurant suggestion outside the harbor appreciated too.

I have a lot of simple pleasures and others will have other options.

My must dos:

Boston: Depending on the cost of the shuttle into town, we'll wander through Quincy Market and the surrounding areas and have lunch ashore. But if the shuttle is not offered or too expensive (sorry Boston, $20 each way is far too much!) we'll just spend the day on the ship watching the planes and the ship traffic -- and maybe considering tossing some tea into the harbor, HaHa.

Expensive shuttles are the bane of most cruisers, but in Boston I always walk less than 10 minutes towards the public bus stop, circumventing both shuttles and taxis.

Hopping aboard the SL2 Boston public transit bus, for $1.70 brings you to South Station...a 7 minute ride away.

The SL2, part of the Silver Line, is frequent and such an efficient means of transportation.

You can walk quite easily to Quincy Market from South Station, but why not simply purchase a Transit Day Pass while at South Station, which then alleviates any issues with shuttles and taxis and gets you around Boston quickly....and eventually back to the ship.

On one cruise we went to Harvard, and Quincy Market as well as having a nice guided tour of Fenway ( non-game day ), strolling through the Boston Common and having a beer at Cheers. Even being allowed to sit on the Green Monster, or more aptly pronounced, the Green Monstah at Fenway.

When taking subways, always look for signs which point you towards the elevator. I don't enjoy climbing stairs either.

A little research into transit systems can go a long way into getting one around to many varied locations and this can be applied to Halifax, Quebec City and Montreal as well.

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND: We had been put off about visiting the Ann of Green Gables house by prior reports of it being a "tourist trap". Indeed it is a developed tourist destination, but by no means tacky or exploitive. Family members who were fans of the book intrigued us to include it in our visit to lovely beyond words PEI. It was low key and very charming and did lead us to explore the book and the author's life.

We found the Green Gables story full of pluck, determination and ultimate conquest over adversity - and it remains a very good coming of age read. I also agree renting a car would be a wonderful way to explore this gorgeous island, whether you decide to include the iconic Green Gables house or not. But please do not be put off, like we had been earlier, that the sight is a "tourist trap".

Thinking of renting a car in Charlottetown and/or Sydney. Thoughts on the best "drive to" sights? Do not like organized tours or crowds. Love nature, particularly coastlines and parks where we can walk. Also, love food so a restaurant suggestion outside the harbor appreciated too.
For a visit to Prince Edward Island, here is where you need to go: https://www.tourismpei.com/ It is one of the most beautiful tourism websites I have ever seen. It is chock-full of excellent ideas. Click on “What To Do,” and as you scroll down the page, you will see at least a dozen ideas of places to go or do, such as Beaches, Festivals, Itineraries, Culinary, Coastal Drives, Shopping and more. If you click on “Coastal Drives” it will show you four of the most scenic driving itineraries you will ever see. We have driven the Central Coastal Drive (the Green Gables Shore Region) three times and the Points East Drive once. Just review the Tourism brochure to see dozens of beautiful pictures. We like to find as many lighthouses as we can, and the red-sand beaches on this Island are just breathtaking. Roads are two-lane, and the itineraries are easy to follow.

For lovers of history, the Fortress of Louisbourg, which you can visit while in Sydney, will charm you, especially if you are visiting during the months of July, and August, and up to mid September. During that peak vacation season, the Fortress will be filled with costumed characters who will show you what it was like living at the Fortress during the 18th Century. We rented a car and drove to the Fortress on one visit in August. Here is the link to the website for the Fortress: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg It will show you what you might see and experience and how to get there. We liked the Fortress so much that we chose to return on a Holland America excursion when we returned to Sydney in May last year. We knew there wouldn’t be any costumed characters there if we toured on our own, but on HAL’s excursion we heard a soldier talk about his life in the Fortress and a costumed kitchen helper talked about the things she did at the time, such as preparing authentic hot chocolate, which we all enjoyed. Had the weather been better, we would have had time to walk around the site, but it was rainy and windy, so we spent more time inside than out.

In Bar Harbor one year, we took a HAL shore excursion by boat to see lighthouses. We loved it. The second time we were in Bar Harbor we took Oli’s Trolley to the Acadia National Park, then walked around town. I think it was Galyn’s where we had lunch, but I’m not sure. It was a comfy place, and the food was great. A couple of the crew on our ship recommended Geddy’s, but it was way too busy the day we were there.

We tried Geddy's once but did not return on subsequent visits to Bar Harbor, i like Side Street Cafe and West Street Cafe better. Both are a very short walk from the tender dock

Edited by sail7seas

For a visit to Prince Edward Island, here is where you need to go: https://www.tourismpei.com/ It is one of the most beautiful tourism websites I have ever seen. It is chock-full of excellent ideas. Click on “What To Do,” and as you scroll down the page, you will see at least a dozen ideas of places to go or do, such as Beaches, Festivals, Itineraries, Culinary, Coastal Drives, Shopping and more. If you click on “Coastal Drives” it will show you four of the most scenic driving itineraries you will ever see. We have driven the Central Coastal Drive (the Green Gables Shore Region) three times and the Points East Drive once. Just review the Tourism brochure to see dozens of beautiful pictures. We like to find as many lighthouses as we can, and the red-sand beaches on this Island are just breathtaking. Roads are two-lane, and the itineraries are easy to follow.

For lovers of history, the Fortress of Louisbourg, which you can visit while in Sydney, will charm you, especially if you are visiting during the months of July, and August, and up to mid September. During that peak vacation season, the Fortress will be filled with costumed characters who will show you what it was like living at the Fortress during the 18th Century. We rented a car and drove to the Fortress on one visit in August. Here is the link to the website for the Fortress: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg It will show you what you might see and experience and how to get there. We liked the Fortress so much that we chose to return on a Holland America excursion when we returned to Sydney in May last year. We knew there wouldn’t be any costumed characters there if we toured on our own, but on HAL’s excursion we heard a soldier talk about his life in the Fortress and a costumed kitchen helper talked about the things she did at the time, such as preparing authentic hot chocolate, which we all enjoyed. Had the weather been better, we would have had time to walk around the site, but it was rainy and windy, so we spent more time inside than out.

In Bar Harbor one year, we took a HAL shore excursion by boat to see lighthouses. We loved it. The second time we were in Bar Harbor we took Oli’s Trolley to the Acadia National Park, then walked around town. I think it was Galyn’s where we had lunch, but I’m not sure. It was a comfy place, and the food was great. A couple of the crew on our ship recommended Geddy’s, but it was way too busy the day we were there.

Excellent post and a description by and large of our own itinerary for these ports. As over the years we've spent more time in the Central and North Cape regions of PEI, we decided on the Points East Coastal Drive for our 2015 cruise. The only problem is that if you like to get out and explore along the way, which we always do, the drive is too long for one day when faced with the ship's time constraints. A little bit of time with the coastal drive map and with Google maps helped to trim it down to an enjoyable day's adventure.

For Halifax, we drove out to Lunenburg (UNESCO World Heritage Site) and made our way back through Mahone Bay, Chester and Peggy's Cove. This is a circuit we've made dozens of time (we used to live in Halifax) and never get tired of it. It's too bad that Halifax isn't an overnight stop, as a first time visitor should probably enjoy all that Halifax has to offer walkers in close proximity to the pier, leaving the drive for another day.

In Quebec City, if you want to head out of town, consider a circuit of l'Île-d'Orléans, a wonderfully bucolic island. You pass the Montmorency Falls getting on and off the island should you wish to add them to your itinerary. Like Halifax, though, first time visitors may want to explore the city instead with all that it has to offer.

Fouremco, you reminded me of Halifax, which I forgot to mention. We have driven out to Peggy's Cove twice, and on our last CA/NE cruise, we took what HAL calls something like an "extended" Peggy's Cove excursion, that let us have about five hours out there. We cannot get enough pictures of the lighthouse and the quaint little town of Peggy's Cove.

We have also been to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay but on a ship's excursion. The one thing I appreciate about a ship's tour is the narration that you don't get when you go on your own.

HAL's seven day Boston to Montreal itinerary and same in reverse going back to Boston is and one of HAL's best short itineraries. IMO We have done it back to back many times and never tire of it.

HAL's seven day Boston to Montreal itinerary and same in reverse going back to Boston is and one of HAL's best short itineraries. IMO We have done it back to back many times and never tire of it.

We only did this cruise b2b once, but I loved it. I think I ate lobster in every port up and back. Mussels in PEI (big buckets full) and steamed lobster everywhere. The only time I had a lobster role was in Bar Harbor and that was good too.

Looking at the schedule for this cruise for 2019, the only ship listed as doing it now is Zaandam. Does anyone know where Maasdam and Veendam will be?

Carol, the Maasdam will be on the west coast, including doing some new 21-day cruises to Alaska round trip from San Francisco.

The Veendam will be in Europe. With the new restrictions on ship sizes in Venice, the Veendam will still be allowed to sail in/out that city. Larger ships will not, so she has a new lease on life there.

We only did this cruise b2b once, but I loved it. I think I ate lobster in every port up and back. Mussels in PEI (big buckets full) and steamed lobster everywhere. The only time I had a lobster role was in Bar Harbor and that was good too.

I tend to call this itinerary my "Lobster-Fest" cruise. I love the fresh lobster all along the route.

I was wondering if those two ships were going to be sold?

They probably will be out of HAL's fleet at some poin t but whoever may know, doesn't seem to be announcing when they will be gone or if there i s currently a Buyer.

Expensive shuttles are the bane of most cruisers, but in Boston I always walk less than 10 minutes towards the public bus stop, circumventing both shuttles and taxis.

Hopping aboard the SL2 Boston public transit bus, for $1.70 brings you to South Station...a 7 minute ride away.

The SL2, part of the Silver Line, is frequent and such an efficient means of transportation.

You can walk quite easily to Quincy Market from South Station, but why not simply purchase a Transit Day Pass while at South Station, which then alleviates any issues with shuttles and taxis and gets you around Boston quickly....and eventually back to the ship.

On one cruise we went to Harvard, and Quincy Market as well as having a nice guided tour of Fenway ( non-game day ), strolling through the Boston Common and having a beer at Cheers. Even being allowed to sit on the Green Monster, or more aptly pronounced, the Green Monstah at Fenway.

When taking subways, always look for signs which point you towards the elevator. I don't enjoy climbing stairs either.

A little research into transit systems can go a long way into getting one around to many varied locations and this can be applied to Halifax, Quebec City and Montreal as well.

Looking for information on shuttle or taxi from Boston airport to cruise terminal. What is estimated cost?

The cost for a cab from Logan to the Flynn Terminal should not be more than $20.

The link below will get you to public transportation. I would guess about $5.00 cost.

https://www.massport.com/cruiseport/to-from-cruiseport/public-transportation/

Hope this helps.

Edited by naskeag
Poor spelling

Looking at the schedule for this cruise for 2019, the only ship listed as doing it now is Zaandam. Does anyone know where Maasdam and Veendam will be?

Veendam in Europe in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Forums