Itinerary Feedback - Amsterdam to Lisbon

JVNYC

My DH is the one who loves cruising - but more to relax (done Bermuda and Caribbean multiple times). This one is really a destination cruise, very port intensive. I personally love land trips, and can usually put together a trip for way less money than a cruise. So traveling this way is a bit of a compromise for both of us.

It really depends on your travel style, the trade-offs you want to make, the connections you want to make with the local culture, and where you have been. We don't mind carting our own luggage (now usually carry on only), and are fine with a nice, but not extravagant hotel, and a casual local restaurant. For our land trips, we have often based someplace and take day trips out, maybe going to 2 or 3 cities. That worked well when we were only traveling for about 10-11 days. Now retired and traveling around 18-21 days, we'd need to move around more, train travel being preferable to car rental where feasible. But we recently did 10 days driving in Sicily plus 4 days based in Rome (without car).

So we (actually me, Pete just goes along after I twist his arm a few times!) pick our cruise itineraries based on places where cruising makes more sense than a land trip. And then we accept the fact that it won't be cheap. For this cruise, we had a balcony, since the OVs were sold out when we booked, but an OV would have been fine since we were off the ship most of the time. If you were renting a car from France to Portugal, it wouldn't come cheap with the drop charges, anyway.

This itinerary let us cover a lot of ground without driving, getting to places we hadn't been. We've done London multiple times, but never got to Dover/Canterbury. We've done Paris twice, plus Mont St. Michel and the WWII beaches, but a camera mishap caused us to miss Honfleur, so that worked out for us this time, and our long port day allowed us to get to Giverny. The west coast of France and north coast of Spain were both new to us. Since our port days were long, I felt we had a reasonable amount of time in each.

Thanks for the input. I definitely wouldn't be picking up a car in France and dropping in Portugal. Would probably put an itinerary around pick up and drop off in Spain.

Will have to think about it, I should find out this week if I need to be back at work for a conference that I was hoping would be the week after the cruise ends but it's not looking good :( so may have to do a land trip at a different time or find a replacement cruise. We absolutely loved Honfleur. Glad you got there.

If you have to bail out of your April cruise, a couple of things. The Vineyards & Castles itinerary has been offered in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Maybe the itinerary was offered before 2017 but I wasn't looking. So chances are good that it will be offered again or something very similar. Then also look at the Spanish Serenade cruise (we're doing it in November of this year.) I think a similar itinerary is offered at another time, too. If you look at that itinerary, it does the southern Spain ports plus the Canary Islands (need a cruise for those). These 2 cruises pretty much cover a lot of the western coast of Europe. Plus the ports of embarkation and disembarkation are good jumping off points for adding extra days, or another city for some land based touring.

We did Rouen to Lisbon last June on Silversea, with most of these same ports. We had cold and rain the whole time and one port ( St Jean de Luz) was cancelled. So book whatever date or ship works best for you, as weather is never guaranteed. Regardless, it's a fantastic itinerary! Michael

Somewhat like with Michael, we did Silversea for these wonderful areas last June. But, we traveled slightly earlier and went from Lisbon to Rouen. Lots of wonderful ports and fortunately, we had WONDERFUL WEATHER!! All worked well. Need proof or more details on these various ports. Check out my live/blog below, plus a few sample visuals to verify the nice, sunny weather.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 5/9/2018 at 10:39 AM, JVNYC said:

I am considering the Marina sailing from Amsterdam to Lisbon on Sept 17, 2019. This is the one itinerary that I haven't done yet and has always interested me. I would prefer this itinerary in the summer....but I prefer the O ships.

Wanted to see what you think of this itinerary given this is later in the warm season in September and if the tender ports are usually cancelled due to rough seas.

Crystal has a very similar itinerary in late July, 2019 that I'm looking at as well and comparing.

Look forward to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi, I hope you took it.  We are on it and I am having a hard time finding a thread for Marina+Amsterdam+2019.  Would love any help you can provide.  my name is Rawy and personal email is rshediac@me.com  Many thanks.

40 minutes ago, EnglewoodRay said:

Hi, I hope you took it.  We are on it and I am having a hard time finding a thread for Marina+Amsterdam+2019.  Would love any help you can provide.  my name is Rawy and personal email is rshediac@me.com  Many thanks.

Here ya go:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/marina-september-17-2019/

It should be a good time of year for sightseeing.  We did a Barcelona to Copenhagen late May into June.  Hot everywhere except Copenhagen. Amsterdam was moderate and wet. It often rains in Amsterdam. Out of my 6 trips to Amsterdam, it rained on 5 of them. May was the only month that I had sunny weather.  Also did a Southampton to Lisbon late August into early September. It was very hot as we got further south Lisbon and Porto were way too hot.  Next trip to Lisbon was in late April....warm, sunny, and perfect for anything. From Lisbon, we sailed east in the Med to Rome.  Perfect weather. Going to Lisbon again late April this spring to sail the coast ending mid May in Amsterdam.  I also did a French land tour in May to Normandy and Toulouse. Again, weather was ideal. As a rule, I do not cruise the Med in summer.  It is crowded and hot. 

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

As a rule, I do not cruise the Med in summer.  It is crowded and hot. 

Agreed. 

Regarding the discussion of the original itinerary being discussed here, i.e. Amsterdam to Lisbon, one wants to be cautious of untoward weather in the Bay of Biscay, which can be treacherous.

On May 10, 2018 at 10:43 AM, ORV said:

I'm going. Other than Amsterdam it's all places I haven't been to.

I'm looking forward to it.

ORV..we are hoping to do this as our 20th Sept 2020.. It will also be our 30th anniversary. Please post your review when you return. We do #19 in 2 weeks. Maybe our wonderful TA can make it possible for us to sail along with you😃😃🍷

Deb

1 hour ago, DOJO466 said:

ORV..we are hoping to do this as our 20th Sept 2020.. It will also be our 30th anniversary. Please post your review when you return. We do #19 in 2 weeks. Maybe our wonderful TA can make it possible for us to sail along with you😃😃🍷

Deb

Book it Deb, there's still guarantees available in a couple of categories. We'll celebrate your 20th with you. I'll be she could make it happen. 

On March 7, 2019 at 5:11 PM, ORV said:

Book it Deb, there's still guarantees available in a couple of categories. We'll celebrate your 20th with you. I'll be she could make it happen. 

Guess what....you may just see our adorable  faces yet. We need to make sure we get on our cruise in 2 weeks (yes Jim be having Medical problems) so once this one takes place.....see you in Amsterdam before this cruise. Yes hah

Please do ask if this is really from Amsterdam as the port authorities there have moved many ships to Rotterdam. Although they are still being advertised as Amsterdam. Although looking at the itinerary you just fly into Amsterdam and are transfered to your ship, Also please be aware that Dover is not London and is a train ride away.  

Not trying to put a dampner on your spirits just a bit of advice 

Josie xx

Just checked Marina is due in Amsterdam 

17 September, 2019
Tuesday
Oceania Marina08:0018:00

just keep an eye on this as we were moved on Viking Gefjon  at the last moment.

The cruise port is right behind Central Station and it's so easy to walk into the city.

10 minutes ago, BenMurphy said:

just keep an eye on this as we were moved on Viking Gefjon  at the last moment.

The cruise port is right behind Central Station and it's so easy to walk into the city.

but isn't that a River cruise boat?

Viking has saturated the market  so they may not have had space for  you at the river docks  there 

JMO

10 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

Guess what....you may just see our adorable  faces yet. We need to make sure we get on our cruise in 2 weeks (yes Jim be having Medical problems) so once this one takes place.....see you in Amsterdam before this cruise. Yes hah

I'll be looking for you at the corner of the bar in Martinis. 

This will be a great cruise, especially for those that like wine. 

On 3/13/2019 at 1:24 PM, LHT28 said:

but isn't that a River cruise boat?

Viking has saturated the market  so they may not have had space for  you at the river docks  there 

JMO

It certainly is. but all the River cruise ships had been moved out of the city centre to a dock 30 mins away and passengers were being bussed into the city.  I belong to a number of on line cruising groups and I've seen many complaints about their ships being moved to Rotterdamhttps://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Cruise-Lines-Skip-Amsterdam-Calls-Amidst-New-Tourist-Tax    . That doesn't mean that Oceania have moved.

Edited by BenMurphy

Just now, BenMurphy said:

It certainly is. but all the River cruise ships had been moved out of the city centre to a dock 30 mins away and passengers were being bussed into the city.

not sure of your point then??

The  new tax  is  for  day stops only  not for those ships  starting or ending  cruises at PTA