Straws?

I read on the NCL boards that they did away with straws for "environmental" reasons. Wondering if Carnival plans to follow suit? Not a biggie for me because I have a metal straw I keep in my Yeti type cup that I plan on bringing but I don't want to have to carry a straw anywhere.

They are trying to save the environment by eliminating straws

Actually a fairly big movement' date=' not only cruise lines but most coastal cities in Florida now do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read on the NCL boards that they did away with straws for "environmental" reasons. Wondering if Carnival plans to follow suit? Not a biggie for me because I have a metal straw I keep in my Yeti type cup that I plan on bringing but I don't want to have to carry a straw anywhere.

They already did.

You don't have to request them if you order a frozen drink, but for a regular cocktail or soda you need to ask for one. I think it's a small step but every journey starts with a small step so I applaud any cruise line that is doing this.

Actually a fairly big movement, not only cruise lines but most coastal cities in Florida now do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmm ok. In my small neck of the woods they give straws whether you want them or not. Personally never use them except for frozen drinks.

You don't have to request them if you order a frozen drink, but for a regular cocktail or soda you need to ask for one. I think it's a small step but every journey starts with a small step so I applaud any cruise line that is doing this.

This! It really is a small sacrifice to preserve our planet!

In all honesty, has anybody ever seen anyone throw a straw overboard? They can call it saving the sea turtles but I think it's saving Carnival money.

I've seen many straws that were in either half filled or in empty drink glasses on Lido deck go flying from the wind and wind up overboard.

I wonder how many straws are in the Pacific plastic garbage gyre that is larger then the state of Texas? I wonder how many straws were in the 64 pounds of plastic found in the stomach of a dead washed up whale recently? Plastic water and soda bottles make up the bulk of these, but as other posters stated, you have to start somewhere.

In all honesty, has anybody ever seen anyone throw a straw overboard? They can call it saving the sea turtles but I think it's saving Carnival money.

I think a good amount of the trash that is in the various gyres in the world's oceans (the Atlantic has them also) comes from being blown into the water. If it can help the environment and help save CCL money what is so wrong with that?

Hmm ok. In my small neck of the woods they give straws whether you want them or not. Personally never use them except for frozen drinks.

My neck of the woods, too, but we live hours away from the nearest beach.;)

So share with us your estimate of how much a company with $17.5 billion in revenue hopes to save by cutting back slightly (certainly not eliminating) on straws.

I have! It saves everyone money. It saves Carnival, less product. It saves the consumer. But mostly it saves the planet earth. Obviously you can't get away from waste but if you make small steps, and eliminate the items that are not necessary, than it's a step in the right direction.

Actually, I have seen several blow overboard on the pool deck. It's not on purpose but they do blow out of empty glasses, etc.

If you've never seen this video, it shows why straws are such a problem - especially at sea.

(I apologize for the language of the researchers in this video - may want to turn the volume off).

I LOVE straws and use them in everything I drink, but this made me purchase glass straws from Amazon. I'm hoping the cruise industry will start moving toward paper straws for those that request a straw. That will actually be more expensive for the cruise line. So no, I do not think this is about saving money, but about protecting our seas.

Ever seen a discarded drink sitting somewhere with a straw? Things blow overboard all the time...it is not people throwing them over but just general trash. You might want to do some reading about the tons upon tons of plastic that is filling our oceans.

I'm going to corner the market on straws that will save the environment

IIRC, there used to be "paper" straws at the soda counters....... I guess paper costs more these days...?:confused:

Gotta love it. Back in the seventies, we used waxed paper straws. The environmentalists screamed "You can't use paper straws! You're killing trees! Use plastic straws!" Now the environmentalists are screaming "You can't use plastic straws! You're killing sea life!" So here I sit, with environmentalists screaming that my plastic straw, stuck thru a plastic lid on top of a plastic cup, is dangerous...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Forums mobile app

We were down a couple of weeks ago (Florida) and the wife got a paper straw in her drink.