Mexico in August?

Happytobee

I was interested in hearing some stories about cruising to Mexico in August. Carnival Triumph from New Orleans stops at Cozumel and Progresso. Will the weather be too hot to enjoy the trip? Will we be miserable? I know it is hurricane season and not ideal but this is the only time we would be able to go. I havent seen any specific posts about this time of year. Newbie here so any info would be appreciated.

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

Not sure what you are looking at. Most people who go to the Caribbean like hot, but they do have air conditioning on the ship.

If you go to the beach in Cozumel, it will be nice if it is hot.

I would say as long as the weather is nice (hot), your biggest issue will be that schools is out and there will be lots of families with children on board.

If you are looking for things to do, check the port of call threads, for each of your stops. you can ask specific questions about Carnival in general or your ship specifically on the "Carnival" specific thread. You can find these by scrolling down the "boards home" page.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I was interested in hearing some stories about cruising to Mexico in August. Carnival Triumph from New Orleans stops at Cozumel and Progresso. Will the weather be too hot to enjoy the trip? Will we be miserable? I know it is hurricane season and not ideal but this is the only time we would be able to go. I havent seen any specific posts about this time of year. Newbie here so any info would be appreciated.

While it will be hotter in August than in January, the weather in that region does not vary that dramatically all year round. I don't know why you would feel you might be miserable - you are on a cruise visiting distant ports of call! And the fact that it is hurricane season only means that is the time of the year when it is most favorable for storms to develop - not a certainty that they will.

I realize this past year was exceptional with storms but I would not be concerned regarding choosing that time of the year in which to cruise. That also is one of the peak cruising seasons. Perhaps we've been fortunate but in over 25 years of cruising, of which many have been between June and November (hurricane season), we've never been impacted by a hurricane.

Go and enjoy your first cruise - it likely won't be your last!

Hotter than the hinges on Hell's back door!!! I love Mexico but never go in the summer as I can't enjoy being outside in really hot weather. January is my month of choice for that region.

Hurricane season is really not an issue because ships can re-route to avoid bad weather but they can't make it cooler.

As long as you stay near the beach, the sea breeze keeps things comfortable. If you want to take an excursion inland, though - like Chichen Itza - be prepared for life-sucking heat and humidity.

I laughed out loud at the "life-sucking heat and humidity" in your post. So true! Been there, done that.

It only gets "so hot", even at the equator! It will be hot and humid...if you're from the East Coast of the USA, you've experienced heat and humidity. If you're from the west coast, you may be shocked.