P & O Alcohol Policy

fastnloose

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Maccie66 said:

Many thanks for that. So if my memory serves me correct you were on the the same (more or less) Caribbean round trip that we're doing in 3 weeks. How was it?

Hi Maccie, We had a great time, on the ship and on the islands. The weather was quite poor though, but that was unusual, and doesn't reflect what you might experience. I don't know if you have sailed with P&O before or sailed on Arcadia. The ship is a good size. Not too big so you got lost on it, but large enough to keep you occupied on the sea days. We visited the Crystal Cave in Bermuda and had a great day out. We also had a bit of a tour around the island. St Maarten is always good for shopping and the beach. In Grand Turk the ship berths almost on the beach. Only a short walk to the sandy beach, sunbeds, bars and wifi. I could go on, but Sue Kersh was on the same cruise and she wrote a blog each day. That would give you a much more comprehensive view of our cruise. If there is anything specific you need to know please ask and I will try to assist.

Out of curiocity.

I know of a frequent poster on cruise sites ( no longer posts due to abusive comments, I believe) who used to like to cruise ‘Old Style’; blazer, panama etc. He and his wife used to like their wine and used to take a mixed case of ( presumably high end) wine on board with them and drink them with their meals in the MDR, happy to pay the corkage charge for wine of their choice. My query is; how does this practice sit with the current P&O rules on bringing alcohol on board. I understand that corkage fees are still available via P&O.  

3 hours ago, Otter18 said:

Hi Maccie, We had a great time, on the ship and on the islands. The weather was quite poor though, but that was unusual, and doesn't reflect what you might experience. I don't know if you have sailed with P&O before or sailed on Arcadia. The ship is a good size. Not too big so you got lost on it, but large enough to keep you occupied on the sea days. We visited the Crystal Cave in Bermuda and had a great day out. We also had a bit of a tour around the island. St Maarten is always good for shopping and the beach. In Grand Turk the ship berths almost on the beach. Only a short walk to the sandy beach, sunbeds, bars and wifi. I could go on, but Sue Kersh was on the same cruise and she wrote a blog each day. That would give you a much more comprehensive view of our cruise. If there is anything specific you need to know please ask and I will try to assist.

Hi Otter, many thanks for that. We have cruised on Acardia quite a few times before but never for 28 nights. Sorry to hear that your weather wasn't great, here's hoping for an improvement. I will look up Sue Kersh's blog with interest as we're just counting down the days now 🙂 

3 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Out of curiocity.

I know of a frequent poster on cruise sites ( no longer posts due to abusive comments, I believe) who used to like to cruise ‘Old Style’; blazer, panama etc. He and his wife used to like their wine and used to take a mixed case of ( presumably high end) wine on board with them and drink them with their meals in the MDR, happy to pay the corkage charge for wine of their choice. My query is; how does this practice sit with the current P&O rules on bringing alcohol on board. I understand that corkage fees are still available via P&O.  

I think you will find that this practice has now been stopped as it states on P&O website "anymore than 1 litre of champagne, wine, beer, spirit or liqueur will be stored and returned to you at the end of the cruise". If you wish to drink the alcohol you are allowed anywhere on the ship a £20 corkage will be paid and added to your account.

7 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Out of curiocity.

That is my understanding you can still BYO and pay corkage. It would have to be a high end wine to make it viable. Perhaps a good Champagne.

Just to clear matters the following is taken from P&Os website-

"Each guest aged 18 years (21 years in US ports) and older may bring one litre of the following; wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur on board as they embark the ship for the first time only. Alcohol over the 1 litre limit will be stored and returned to the guest prior to the end of the cruise. If this alcohol is consumed in the dining rooms, bars, restaurants, pool or lounge areas, it will be subject to a corkage fee of £20* per bottle, per occasion which will be charged to the guest's on-board account. 

‭Any alcoholic beverages purchased mid-cruise in ports of call cannot be consumed on board. Guests will need to declare and ‭hand over any alcohol bought in port at the gangway. It will be stored and returned to the guest ‭prior to the end of the cruise, at no charge.

‭‭If a bottle of wine/Champagne has been bought for a guest through P&O Cruises gifts, guests will ‭need to ensure they carry the gift card with them to avoid having the corkage charge applied to their ‭on-board account.

‭‭On eligible cruises, guests are welcome to buy duty free alcohol to take home via the on-board ‭shops. It will be stored until the end of their cruise".

Reading this I get the impression that you can no longer take more than 1 litre per person onboard and it must be drunk in your stateroom or else a £20 corkage would be payable.

Edited by majortom10

I note that the policy states that alcohol purchased mid cruise will be stored and returned to guests prior to the end of the cruise.

Apologies if this query has already been answered, but can anybody tell me at what time the bottles will be returned?

I'm assuming that such items will be made available in order they may be packed away in luggage  for the return home.

Anybody answer this please?

6 minutes ago, Daftlad said:

I note that the policy states that alcohol purchased mid cruise will be stored and returned to guests prior to the end of the cruise.

Apologies if this query has already been answered, but can anybody tell me at what time the bottles will be returned?

I'm assuming that such items will be made available in order they may be packed away in luggage  for the return home.

That is correct.

7 minutes ago, Brayman said:

That is correct.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'll get anything resembling a bargain on Saturday, our first full day in Barbados then surrender it going back on board.

I seem to recall the duty free in the cruise terminal seemed better value than others.

Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, Daftlad said:

On our last cruise alcohol that was purchased from the duty free shop was made available to be picked up on the morning of your last sea day and I would assume any alcohol purchased mid cruise in ports and confiscated would be returned at the same time.

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

On our last cruise alcohol that was purchased from the duty free shop was made available to be picked up on the morning of your last sea day and I would assume any alcohol purchased mid cruise in ports and confiscated would be returned at the same time.

That's certainly been my experience when buying duty free on board, and if I'm honest, there can be good offers available.

I'm curious as to how much of an effect this declaring and subsequent retaining of alcohol being brought back on board will be having on the queues to get back on board. I can't remember exactly if the policy was in place on my last cruise, as there didn't seem to be too much bother getting aboard then.

3 hours ago, Daftlad said:

That's certainly been my experience when buying duty free on board, and if I'm honest, there can be good offers available.

I'm curious as to how much of an effect this declaring and subsequent retaining of alcohol being brought back on board will be having on the queues to get back on board. I can't remember exactly if the policy was in place on my last cruise, as there didn't seem to be too much bother getting aboard then.

The table to surrender the alcohol is after the security checks. In the lift lobby and the like. It does not impinge on the flow of passengers coming back on board. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 5:17 PM, FangedRose said:

The table to surrender the alcohol is after the security checks. In the lift lobby and the like. It does not impinge on the flow of passengers coming back on board. 

Correct about there being no delay when returning to ship.

I suppose i should count myself fortunate that on the one occasion I did buy some tax free spirits and fully expecting them to be retained, i sailed through without any confiscation.