P & O Alcohol Policy

fastnloose

2 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

Seems a lot of fuss over very little; if you really can't afford pub prices should you be going on a cruise?  I have found P & O very reasonable compared to other lines I have sailed with.  If you really need to drink to excess (and I like a drink!) try going onshore and giving business to the local bars - great fun!

Our last cruise had 16 sea days - explain the bit about going ashore for a drink to me!

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Our last cruise had 16 sea days - explain the bit about going ashore for a drink to me!

if your last cruise had 16 sea days must have been a long one. However digressing. If you go on American lines they don't allow any drink to be taken on board besides 2 bottles bubbly/wine at embarkation I believe. I will not gotoo far  down the path of  the smuggling bit...just seems very very devious to me. So no taking drink onboard there. So why should pando be any different. At least you can take a ltr of spirits onboard in full view in a bottle. If one states the US lines have packages..just set aside £40pppd on pando and you have a drinks package accounted for.

3 hours ago, the english lady said:

if your last cruise had 16 sea days must have been a long one. However digressing. If you go on American lines they don't allow any drink to be taken on board besides 2 bottles bubbly/wine at embarkation I believe. I will not gotoo far  down the path of  the smuggling bit...just seems very very devious to me. So no taking drink onboard there. So why should pando be any different. At least you can take a ltr of spirits onboard in full view in a bottle. If one states the US lines have packages..just set aside £40pppd on pando and you have a drinks package accounted for.

Personally I would prefer P&O to go down the Princess route. One bottle of wine per person (no spirits), but you are allowed unlimited extra bottles of wine, subject to $15 per bottle corkage.  Much fairer than the current P&O policy which unfairly penalises wine drinkers in favour of the spirit drinkers.

No need to smuggle anything. 

On 10/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, the english lady said:

Is pando not a business, rather than a charity. So is it there to make money or not. Would it make you happier if they raised the base price of the cruise upwards, by at least the cost of what the people with the largest bar bill pay,(so a 1 week cruise multi hundreds) as they DO have to make a profit , and revert back to bring onboard what you like. They would not need to make so much money from the bars as they would already have had the money via the increased base price cost. It goes back to my original question, if a holiday is too expensive for a person...should that person be allowed to bend the rules to suit themselves ) or not. I would love to be able to stay in 6 or 7 * hotels all the time. Wouldn't be able to afford their drink prices ofcourse...so Im sure they will not mind if I take in all the drink I may want during the course of my stay. As it is I cannot afford 6 or 7* hotels, so we do not stay in them..

If you were given a weeks holiday in a 6* hotel, you WOULD be able to take your own alcohol in to your room to drink as you wish. You are not forced to drink from the hotel bars with highly inflated prices.

Not being able to afford the inital cost of a hotel has nothing to do with the prices behind the bar.

You have the option of walking out of the hotel and frequenting bars in the local area.

Cruise lines always made a profit before when alcohol was allowed to be brought on or bought in the duty free shop and taken to the room.......so what has changed other their own greed?

We went on one cruise and were allowed to buy alcohol in the shop to drink in the cabin.....next cruise, rules had changed and prices in the bars went up.

Affording a cruise to exotic places does not include price of drinks.

On 10/21/2018 at 5:12 PM, FiftyOnePlus said:

When you fly to a destination, and stay in a hotel, if the prices are too high, or they dont sell what you like, you can leave and wander around until you do find the bar you like with the prices you like.  Anyone who has had a land based holiday can tell you that prices vary considerably from bar to bar, hotel to hotel.

The last hotel I was at, for example, wanted the equivalent of £9 per glass  (small) of wine which I found to be totally unacceptable.  The bar next door was selling a large glass for £2.

On  a cruise ship that option does not exist. We are reliant upon their prices and their choices. These prices on P&O may well be near the same as English pub prices but still arent as cheap as some people might want to pay on a holiday.

Now there isnt a hotel that I have ever stayed in that has forbidden me from taking my own alcohol to have a nightcap. I have never had my bag searched in entering a hotel. 

The only reason why a cruise line does any of this is money........they want our money.   They have reduced prices so much, that they cant now allow passengers the freedom of chosing how and what they drink. 

They used to allow it......but not anymore. Not now they rely on that revenue.

And for some people, it kind of spoils it a little.  Stopping me from taking my own nightcap doesnt make me want to buy it from the cruiseline. It doesnt make me drink more in an evening. All it does it stop me from having that one drink a night that is satisfying for me on my holiday.

I refuse to pay £5 a shot when I can get it here for free.

Unlike a hotel where one can openly bring in personal alcohol but also leave and frequent any local bar in the area, a passenger on a ship is for the most part a captive customer to the house.  There is no going ashore at the very times that alcohol beverages are customarily served.  To exploit that is one thing but to do so with products that have been purchased at such lavishly favourable costs and mark them up in a tenfold price range is a little devious to my eye.  I pay the price for I must but that is not to say I enjoy being exploited in this manner.  And if there is a manner in which passengers may avoid being so treated, more power to them 

So going back to my original comment to those who think pando are greedy devious or want them to become a charity to accommodate their wishes, I assume none of you are sailing with them in the future. After all they are greedy,devious,will not accommodate your simple wish to bring on crates of wine. I hope you all have wonderful cruises in the future on other lines, or have land based holidays where you can wander around to find the cheapest drink or take crates of wine to your room.

There might be a hint of sarcasm there but Pando have their rules, so you either abide by them (like I am sure the majority of pando cruisers do) or you find a holiday that better suits you. They are a business .

44 minutes ago, the english lady said:

So going back to my original comment to those who think pando are greedy devious or want them to become a charity to accommodate their wishes, I assume none of you are sailing with them in the future. After all they are greedy,devious,will not accommodate your simple wish to bring on crates of wine. I hope you all have wonderful cruises in the future on other lines, or have land based holidays where you can wander around to find the cheapest drink or take crates of wine to your room.

There might be a hint of sarcasm there but Pando have their rules, so you either abide by them (like I am sure the majority of pando cruisers do) or you find a holiday that better suits you. They are a business .

One of the few benefits that P&O had over other cruise lines was their relaxed alcohol policy. As this is no longer the case I now have taken your advice and booked future cruises where there is a more cosmopolitan passenger mix, and higher quality food and service (Princess and Celebrity).

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

One of the few benefits that P&O had over other cruise lines was their relaxed alcohol policy. As this is no longer the case I now have taken your advice and booked future cruises where there is a more cosmopolitan passenger mix, and higher quality food and service (Princess and Celebrity).

I see where you’re coming from, and I’m absolutely with you on the passenger mix, but I’m not sure there’s any real difference in food and service, and so far as Princess is concerned it’s considerably more expensive.

As someone who’s quite happy to avoid all overpriced alcohol for a couple of weeks, or longer, I suppose the new policy is actually likely to benefit me by allowing P&O to cross-subsidise its headline prices.

15 minutes ago, docco said:

I see where you’re coming from, and I’m absolutely with you on the passenger mix, but I’m not sure there’s any real difference in food and service, and so far as Princess is concerned it’s considerably more expensive.

As someone who’s quite happy to avoid all overpriced alcohol for a couple of weeks, or longer, I suppose the new policy is actually likely to benefit me by allowing P&O to cross-subsidise its headline prices.

It's always difficult to make direct price comparisons with the various offers, obc etc, but if you get a drinks package with Princess,  the total cruise cost between them and P&O is very small. Of course if you are a non drinker this would not apply,  but I guess non drinkers have no interest in this thread! 

On 10/21/2018 at 5:12 PM, FiftyOnePlus said:

Perhaps you do not understand that there is a principle here.  I pay the listed prices but I don't have to be happy about it.  And thanks to  CC for being here to allow me to vent my displeasure.  We would hope that Pando (took me two days to decipher that:classic_biggrin:) reads these comments and takes them into consideration when developing business practices. 

1 hour ago, ONT-CA said:

If Pando do read these boards, my vote on this goes to the English Lady. P&O are a business and nobody is forced to use them. When you choose to book a holiday with them, you should do so in knowledge of their terms, conditions and rules they choose to impose. I realise that many book cruises well in advance and that rules sometimes change but unless changes have a massive affect on enjoyment of the cruise, they are not unreasonable. Limiting the amount of alcohol you can take on board is an irritation but doesn’t massively affect enjoyment, especially as prices onboard are reasonable and especially bottles of spirits from room service. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

I am fairly certain they do listen to customers comments, especially those made to Christopher Edgington and the marketing team. I believe that the campaign on here and on FB about the unfairness of the gratuity system with many opting out and placing and increased burden on those that did pay, had a major impact on their decision to abandon them.

30 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am fairly certain they do listen to customers comments, especially those made to Christopher Edgington and the marketing team. I believe that the campaign on here and on FB about the unfairness of the gratuity system with many opting out and placing and increased burden on those that did pay, had a major impact on their decision to abandon them.

I agree.  No self respecting company is going to ignore forums like this, where they can pick up on views and trends for minimal cost. They won’t always react in the way you expect or want them to, but they will be listening and watching.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

My partner and I are sailing on the Arcadia (round trip to the Caribbean) at Christmas and I am trying to find out wether or not they are still selling 1ltr bottles of spirits on cabin service as they did last year. I have seen conflicting posts within the forum about this and I have seen on this thread that a couple of people have recently been on the Arcadia.

Can anyone help please? 

9 hours ago, Maccie66 said:

Hi All

My partner and I are sailing on the Arcadia (round trip to the Caribbean) at Christmas and I am trying to find out wether or not they are still selling 1ltr bottles of spirits on cabin service as they did last year. I have seen conflicting posts within the forum about this and I have seen on this thread that a couple of people have recently been on the Arcadia.

Can anyone help please? 

Hi we sailed on Arcadia in July this year and they had the full bar available to order to your cabin including ltr bottles of spirits. Hope this helps.

11 hours ago, Maccie66 said:

Hi All

Can anyone help please? 

We got off Arcadia yesterday (Sat 17th Oct). We ordered a bottle of Hendricks Gin from room service whilst onboard. Received it within 30 minutes of ordering. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise! 

11 hours ago, Maccie66 said:

Hi All

Can anyone help please? 

Yes they do and have issued a new price list only this Aug/Sep.

This is from Britannia but it is the same on all ships.

Dai

0526A954-E522-41F0-9A27-3ADF13A9F565.thumb.jpeg.4f78329965d8b05bdd17727cb1fef331.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Otter18 said:

We got off Arcadia yesterday (Sat 17th Oct). We ordered a bottle of Hendricks Gin from room service whilst onboard. Received it within 30 minutes of ordering. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise! 

That should have read Sat 17th Nov.

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Hi we sailed on Arcadia in July this year and they had the full bar available to order to your cabin including ltr bottles of spirits. Hope this helps.

32 minutes ago, Otter18 said:

28 minutes ago, daiB said:

Yes they do and have issued a new price list only this Aug/Sep.

This is from Britannia but it is the same on all ships.

Dai

Many thanks for that, It's a great relief as I had seen a couple of posts where they had been told that P&O weren't doing it anymore but I think it may only apply to cruises of 7 nights or less.

4 minutes ago, Otter18 said:

That should have read Sat 17th Nov.

Many thanks for that. So if my memory serves me correct you were on the the same (more or less) Caribbean round trip that we're doing in 3 weeks. How was it?

1 hour ago, Maccie66 said:

Many thanks for that, It's a great relief as I had seen a couple of posts where they had been told that P&O weren't doing it anymore but I think it may only apply to cruises of 7 nights or less.

No that is not correct. I have not seen anything official but I think it is for all cruises. Certainly we have had it on a 7 night one.

2 hours ago, daiB said:

No that is not correct. I have not seen anything official but I think it is for all cruises. Certainly we have had it on a 7 night one.

Hi daiB, the post I saw was on page 20 of a thread "taking alcohol on board" but you had responded to the post. I think there maybe some confusion over this because we were on a 3 night cruise last year on Arcadia and couldn't get a bottle for the cabin. I thought at the time that it may have been because the cruise was an EU cruise so no DF.

Thanks for your help, I was just worried with all of the changes that it would just be miniatures available for in cabin service and as we're on the ship for 28 nights we will enjoy sitting out on the balcony and enjoying a self poured drink  🙂 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maccie66 said:

Hi All

Can anyone help please? 

I have just returned from Arcadia and can confirm that the cabin service for 1 ltr bottle of Spirits still exists. 

• Thanks 1