Private overland tour

Go-Bucks!

I've booked a private tour into Beijing for 2-3 days, then taking a train down to Shanghai and joining the ship there. Do I need to let Oceania know about this before the cruise? If so, who do I contact? Can they say "no?" We'll only be off the ship for 2 nights.

Is there some special permission I need to get from the Chinese government? We are using a Chinese tour agency, so I will ask them but I'm just wondering if anyone here has done this. Thx!

Yes you need permission from Oceania before overnighting, or overlanding. Yes, they can say no. Our TA handled our requests and I don't know who she asked, just that it was required. The notification and permission should be reflected in your passenger information once you board but our TA and Oceania also emailed permission letters that we were to take aboard with us and give to the purser onboard to double check. We did this in 2015 for India and China on Insignia's first world cruise that was subsequently canceled. In 2017, we left Sirena for an overnight in Bali and again went through the same permissions process. We found overnights were permitted more easily than overlands but we always got a yes answer after some tinkering with plans.

We found overnights were permitted more easily than overlands but we always got a yes answer after some tinkering with plans.

Thank you for the info....I'll contact my TA.

Question: what is the difference between an "overnighter" and an "overlander?"

Overnight. Same port for a 2 or 3 night.

Overlander. Different ports. Leaving from one port and rejoining at another.

We have done both. Myanmar for 3 days and off the ship to visit Bagan.

Off in Cochi and to the Taj rejoining in Mumbai.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Overnight. Same port for a 2 or 3 night.

Overlander. Different ports. Leaving from one port and rejoining at another.

We have done both. Myanmar for 3 days and off the ship to visit Bagan.

Off in Cochi and to the Taj rejoining in Mumbai.

Thanx....we'll be doing 2 overnighters (just one night each time) and 1 overlander. I left a VM for my TA so she can contact Oceania. Can't imagine why O wouldn't allow us to do these?? Do they only give permission if you book the tours through them? Sure hope not....ours will be all private or DIY.

Can't imagine why O wouldn't allow us to do these??

A) When the ship does not take out of a Port the same number of passengers as it brought into that Port, there is a ton of extra paperwork to be filled out.

B) The Ship pays taxes and fees to a Port based on how it intends to use their facilities. If the Line plans for a "through Port" i.e. one where nobody disembarks and then a number of passengers choose to do so, it could change the ships status in that Port.

It is important to let Oceania know because if 5 people are disembarking, the local powers that be may choose to overlook it, but if 595 want to leave, that is something else....

A) When the ship does not take out of a Port the same number of passengers as it brought into that Port, there is a ton of extra paperwork to be filled out.

B) The Ship pays taxes and fees to a Port based on how it intends to use their facilities. If the Line plans for a "through Port" i.e. one where nobody disembarks and then a number of passengers choose to do so, it could change the ships status in that Port.

It is important to let Oceania know because if 5 people are disembarking, the local powers that be may choose to overlook it, but if 595 want to leave, that is something else....

I've read blogs and posts from previous Oceania world cruises and many people go on overland trips or overnighters, so obviously this hasn't been a problem in the past. Hoping it won't be for us since this will be our only world cruise.

If Oceania is offering the same overland tours it probably would not be a problem

You will be responsible for catching up with the ship at the next port which you already are aware of

Just get the permission in writing ahead of time

If Oceania is offering the same overland tours it probably would not be a problem

Not sure because the O excursions for the world cruise aren't out yet. China may have an overland tour, but unlikely to be like mine....and our 2 overnighters are in Jerusalem and Bordeaux. I just talked to my TA and she's calling O about it.

Not sure because the O excursions for the world cruise aren't out yet. China may have an overland tour, but unlikely to be like mine....and our 2 overnighters are in Jerusalem and Bordeaux. I just talked to my TA and she's calling O about it.

they may not be the exact same tours as yours but the city pairs may be

I see some overland tours for the 2019 cruise so maybe same city pairs that your tours start end at

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/around-the-world-cruises/new-york-to-miami-INS190111H/hotels/overland/?sr=%2fcruise-finder%2f%23destinations%3d180dayworld

Edited by LHT28

We over nighted in Haifa last November and there were MANY people who chose to go to Jerusalem and stay there rather than shuttling back and forth. A bit different from leaving the ship at one point and rejoining at another but as others have said here, it's been done before.

Just CYA ...

Sounds like a great trip you are planning!

Mura

Thanks for sharing this....I never saw it. I've just been checking for excursions in My Account.

Oceania's China overland tour is not like ours and costs more than twice what we'll pay. In Bordeaux we'll be taking a train to Lourdes.

Thanks for sharing this....I never saw it. I've just been checking for excursions in My Account.

Oceania's China overland tour is not like ours and costs more than twice what we'll pay. In Bordeaux we'll be taking a train to Lourdes.

did you look under the "land Programs " tab in your account?

Of course they are much more $$ :evilsmile:

did you look under the "land Programs " tab in your account?

Of course they are much more $$ :evilsmile:

I didn't mean they were different because of cost....they don't visit the same places we will be going.

Oceania told my TA that they will advise us of their permission in early August.

I didn't mean they were different because of cost....they don't visit the same places we will be going.

Yes I got that

You also said they did not have any listed