Using self-serve laundry facilities onboard

Alaska0799

It has been awhile since I have sailed Princess and used their laundry rooms, do you need to use the tokes, or can you still use quarters. Daughter & I are on the Emerald next March 11, 2019

Tokens, which are purchased with the cruise card.

It has been awhile since I have sailed Princess and used their laundry rooms, do you need to use the tokes, or can you still use quarters. Daughter & I are on the Emerald next March 11, 2019

If the machine is set up to use tokens, then you can ONLY use tokens. It can't take cash or tokens. It's an internal set up for one or the other.

My I didn't think it was that long since I used their machines but guess it is. I did sail with friends on a coastal back in the fall of 2013 but didn't use the machines. Thank you all for your answers. good part I won't need to worry about carrying a lot of change around.:) Looks like the Laundry room is 13 rooms aft of ours on the Emerald.

Like everyone else on our last 19 day cruise we brought our own laundry pods and dryer sheets.

Use your cruise card to purchase tokens.

Funny thing I found when we entered our cabin on the first day and I was looking around and moving things was a token. I thought it was for the kids area to play on the machines. Surprise! That token was worth $3 and it was used. Thanks to the previous resident of that cabin. It was under the phone which made me wonder how the steward missed it... :)

Hubby didn't mind babysitting our clothes and used the time to read. What a sweetie!!:halo:

One cruise, I advised a lady who had been hunting for a empty machine to stay on our deck, as I was close to finishing a wash & if she left, she would most likely lose her place. I will be sure and bring my dryer sheets and several pods to share with the daughter.

Off topic, but I thought you might get a kick out of it:

Last time I used the laundry room, we were all sitting around waiting our turns on various machines, a man entered the room and announced he needed four washers immediately. We literally laughed him out of the room.

How long is the wash cycle and how long does the dryer run on a token? If we decide to do our own laundry need to know how much time to allow. Thanks.

The washers take about 25-30 minutes depending on the cycle. A dryer runs for about 45 minutes on one token, but your clothing won't take that long to be dry, at least in most cases.

I plan on about 90 minutes total as you don't always get a washer right away and it does take a few minutes to move the clothes from washer to dryer, as well as a few to walk to and from the laundry room.

gooch47, that is funny, reminds me of several of us chatting one morning about our washing and I responded, with yes, we are all sitting here watching As the World Turns., seeing our clothes spinning around.:D i can't imagine why the man would need 4 machines, did he have that much to wash.

Don't know why he needed four. I don't remember him having an excessive amount of dirty clothes with him.

Maybe his wife gave strict orders on how to separate the clothes. I can think of so many come backs for this person...your laughing him out of the room was probably the kindest.

first off - this guy was prolly pissed that he was even doing laundry and all the machines weren't immediately available to him, and he had to potentially wait?

now, you're going to provoke his anger by laughing at him...??

not these days...sorry

If you need milder detergent' date=' bring your own. We have someone in my family who's allergic to regular detergent. If you don't like using pods, you can measure out a load's worth of powder into a ziplock bag. Put all those bags into a bigger ziplock bag just in case of breakage.[/quote']

I'm going on a 49 night cruise and I use "green" products, specifically Mrs. Myers, and as far as I know there is no pods. I'm an exercise instructor, group, so I live in exercise clothing, so no fabric softener. My first ever cruise was 10 days back in Dec. 2017 and I washed my clothes in the laundry, 3 times. I guess I'm obsessive. :D. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale, embarkation port, 3 days before the ship sales. I'm thinking of doing some shopping at the Family Dollar Store and/or Target. Laundry Detergent is on my list.

Ramona

I'm going on a 49 night cruise and I use "green" products, specifically Mrs. Myers, and as far as I know there is no pods. I'm an exercise instructor, group, so I live in exercise clothing, so no fabric softener. My first ever cruise was 10 days back in Dec. 2017 and I washed my clothes in the laundry, 3 times. I guess I'm obsessive. :D. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale, embarkation port, 3 days before the ship sales. I'm thinking of doing some shopping at the Family Dollar Store and/or Target. Laundry Detergent is on my list.

Ramona

Publix worked well for me....and the courtesy van from the hotel took me there!

Thank you … I will have to google that with the address of the hotel I'm staying in. I will be about four miles from the port.

Ramona

We were at the Homewood Suites. On line, it said shuttle service within 3 mile radius. When I asked, the day shift person gave me a list of places (all restaurants) where they would take us. When I asked the evening shift, the desk clerk called the shuttle driver and asked him if he had time to take me. The Publix was only about a mile away, but wasn't on the "official" list. No problems--the driver took me and gave me his number to call when I was ready to be picked up...all for the cost of a tip.

We were at the Homewood Suites. On line' date=' it said shuttle service within 3 mile radius. When I asked, the day shift person gave me a list of places (all restaurants) where they would take us. When I asked the evening shift, the desk clerk called the shuttle driver and asked him if he had time to take me. The Publix was only about a mile away, but wasn't on the "official" list. No problems--the driver took me and gave me his number to call when I was ready to be picked up...all for the cost of a tip.[/quote']

Wow! I'm going to look up Homewood Suites. Hotel I made reservations for is right on the beach in FLL; however, reviews are not good, Sea Club Resort. It's an old hotel; however, it has had some 50/60s movies made in it, :D

Ramona

Wow! I'm going to look up Homewood Suites. Hotel I made reservations for is right on the beach in FLL; however, reviews are not good, Sea Club Resort. It's an old hotel; however, it has had some 50/60s movies made in it, :D

Ramona

We've used the Homewood Suites in several cities. The breakfast is always good (some better than others, but a notch above most hotels), the kitchenette can't be beat, and the one at FLL is within walking distance of several fast food places (the girls wanted Wendy's, so that's where we had dinner). We didn't use the pool or anything else. We came in on the red eye, and they did allow us to check in early at no additional cost and offered us breakfast while we waited for the room to be ready. Then we zonked out till dinner time.

Also..they are very used to cruise people. They had staplers to attach luggage tags, duct tape to tape tags onto soda, etc. They have a paid shuttle to the cruise terminal, but Uber was cheaper. We got a great rate on a generic hotel site...much better than we found anywhere else.

The only down side (if there is one) is that they are about a mile the wrong direction from the port. It didn't bother us, but it means the drive in the morning is 15 minutes instead of 12!

Edited by moki'smommy

Ramona

WOW ... ok, this is off topic, but I had to say something. From a very first cruise of 10 days to your 2nd cruise of 49 days! THAT's impressive. I don't know if I could even do 49 days on a ship.

WOW ... ok, this is off topic, but I had to say something. From a very first cruise of 10 days to your 2nd cruise of 49 days! THAT's impressive. I don't know if I could even do 49 days on a ship.

Bucket List :D I'm doing a South American … 'round the horn. I had wanted to a Disney, 7 days, with my two grand kids, 6 and 2, buy my son and d-I-l said no so I just moved the money over to the S.A. Darn Disney is expensive:eek:. The cost paid for half of my 49 days.

Ramona

Bucket List :D I'm doing a South American … 'round the horn. I had wanted to a Disney, 7 days, with my two grand kids, 6 and 2, buy my son and d-I-l said no so I just moved the money over to the S.A. Darn Disney is expensive:eek:. The cost paid for half of my 49 days.

Ramona

Yeah....the reason we moved to Princess was that on a British Isles cruise, I could get a balcony on Princess for half the cost of an inside on DCL. A balcony on Princess was 1/4 the cost of a balcony on DCL for essentially the same cruise. There are things that I like better about Disney and things that I like better about Princess, but when you throw in the cost factor, it's no contest.

On our next cruise, we are doing 2 weeks on Princess for about half the cost of one week on Disney. ($6000 vs. $10,500)...same part of the world but better Glacier Bay on Princess, not on DCL.