Using self-serve laundry facilities onboard

Alaska0799

We'll be taking our first B2B cruises this July and will likely need to use the laundry facilities--we have a few questions. Does the charge for machine use go on your cruise card? Is there a detergent dispenser in the facilities? We don't care for pods and need mild detergent for sensitive skin. Should we plan to bring our own?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

If you need milder detergent, bring your own. We have someone in my family who's allergic to regular detergent. If you don't like using pods, you can measure out a load's worth of powder into a ziplock bag. Put all those bags into a bigger ziplock bag just in case of breakage.

We'll be taking our first B2B cruises this July and will likely need to use the laundry facilities--we have a few questions. Does the charge for machine use go on your cruise card? Is there a detergent dispenser in the facilities? We don't care for pods and need mild detergent for sensitive skin. Should we plan to bring our own?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

I usually bring my own. It's a good idea to use low suds soaps.

You use your room card to purchase tokens for the washer/dryer from a machine in the laundry room.

In April on the Caribbean Princess, at least in the room that I used, the only detergent selection was All. I didn't pay attention to what variety it might have been; it looked like a "regular" variety to me. They also had Snuggle as a softener. The cost is $1.50 per single load product.

Yes, if you need to be picky about the detergent, bring your own. You can pack a single load amount in any small container (in the "olden days," I used plastic film canisters), and place your containers in a sealed ziplock bag just to be sure it doesn't end up all over your suitcase. In any event, it is far less costly to bring your own than to purchase it on board.

Never used these kind of washing machines before. Do they have choice of temperature settings for example 30 degree for delicate items etc. Also do the dryers have gentle and high temperature settings?

There were some selections on the washers, I don’t recall any on the dryer

On time, I put powder Tide in a small baggie in a larger baggie also marked the bags “Tide” in my checked luggage. My checked luggage was inspected for the first time, they must have thought it was something else.

The washers and dryers do have temperature settings and settings for "woolen", Permanent Press", etc HOWEVER...it has been my experience using them multiple times over multiple ships that those settings are there simply because the machines are sold/manufactured with them and there is little to no correlation between what you set the machines for and what you actually get in terms of water temperatures and drying temperatures. If you have items that are delicate or require specific temps I would personally either hand wash and dry or monitor the process closely so you can pull an item when needed. Also, if you open the dryer door during the cycle to pull an item, don't forget to push the little black button to restart it.

Make sure you babysit your laundry...I had my clothes pulled out of the dryer wet, and someone else hijacked my dryer...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! I've seen people removing dry clothes from a stopped machine, but that's amazing.

Yes, there are settings on the washers and dryers for temperature options, although they are "hot, warm, cold" rather than specific temps. The washers lock after you start them--once you start, you can't open them to add or remove anything. It's a safety feature. The dryers, obviously, do not have this feature.

I bring my own detergent and dryer sheets--I still have some of the Purex 3 in 1 sheets, now discontinued.

I have found it hard at times to find a token dispenser that is actually working and/or has tokens. Last cruise I checked 3! laundry rooms; my husband finally went down to customer service to get tokens.

I do love the option to do my own laundry on longer cruises.