Melia vs Hilton British Colonial vs Public beach on our own

niciediva007

I am having trouble deciding which excursion to choose for our Nassau Beach day in November. We set sail Nov. from Jacksonville Port to HMC and Nassau.

My husband and I are traveling with my MIL, and our two children (11 and 9). Typically, if we were alone, we'd brave the public beach to get a hint of the local atmosphere, etc. Lately, however, I've been hearing warnings of escalated threats in the area during day or night. This makes me lean more toward a private beach day, considering that we've got our children and my MIL, who isn't as mobile as she used to be.

I am also worried about finding a good amount of shade once we land on th ebeach. One downside to what I've heard about Melia.

British Colonial is smaller, but the location isn't as great for seeing the city. Melia being a little further from the downtown area allows us more sightseeing (I would presume).

A public beach would give the most freedom, but not sure of the environment. Is this a good idea to wing it with so many vulnerable people in our group?

What did you choose on your port day to Nassau and why? Money isn't necessarily an issue, but I'd rather not spend more that $100 per adult.

Thanks!

I would vote for the Hilton BC, it is very convenient to the Ship and I enjoyed the facilities . Nassau is definitely NOT one of my preferred ports, so I like the private facilities, especially when you factor in kids and needing shade.

I would vote for the Hilton BC, it is very convenient to the Ship and I enjoyed the facilities . Nassau is definitely NOT one of my preferred ports, so I like the private facilities, especially when you factor in kids and needing shade.

The proximity of Hilton BC is definitely a plus. No buses or taxis to catch from what I hear. I have heard people say they don't like the view there...it's industrial? Also, it's a small beach. Does it get extremely crowded because it's small, or do they control the capacity so it doesn't feel crowded? Are there a lot of shade palapas? Thanks!

The proximity of Hilton BC is definitely a plus. No buses or taxis to catch from what I hear. I have heard people say they don't like the view there...it's industrial? Also, it's a small beach. Does it get extremely crowded because it's small, or do they control the capacity so it doesn't feel crowded? Are there a lot of shade palapas? Thanks!

Poster stated that her mother-in-law is not as mobile as she used to be so walking to the Hilton would probably be out of the question. Taxi would be necessary

Poster stated that her mother-in-law is not as mobile as she used to be so walking to the Hilton would probably be out of the question. Taxi would be necessary

Totally agree. Easy walk for my granddaughter, not so much for me. I happily paid for a taxi to take us back to the ship.

I’ve been to all 3, definitely Melia. Yes, it’s a taxi or bus, but we really enjoyed the ride (had an excellent driver who acted as a tour guide). Property is much nicer, beach significantly nicer (Hilton one is like the free one, a harbor beach).

I've stayed at the Melia, BC Hilton, Rui & Atlantis. I'd choose the Atlantis day pass, without giving it a second thought. Food, shops, pool, beautiful gardens. Taxi is cheap-saw many cruisers doing this. 2nd choice would be Melia.

I've stayed at the Melia, BC Hilton, Rui & Atlantis. I'd choose the Atlantis day pass, without giving it a second thought. Food, shops, pool, beautiful gardens. Taxi is cheap-saw many cruisers doing this. 2nd choice would be Melia.

Aqua adventure is great, but not ideal for someone with mobility issues. I wouldn’t do a beach day there because you don’t have access to the pools, and the surf can be rough and not safe for swimming.

I’ve been to all 3, definitely Melia. Yes, it’s a taxi or bus, but we really enjoyed the ride (had an excellent driver who acted as a tour guide). Property is much nicer, beach significantly nicer (Hilton one is like the free one, a harbor beach).

So a lot of ppl prefer Melia. My MIL can walk but not too much at once. She’s had double knee replacements; no cane or chair but pain if on legs for extended periods.

The only reason I’m hesitant about Melia is the shade. It’s cheaper and the property seems huge but I will so annoyed if I’m lounding in the Bahamian sub without cover. Anybody know the likelihood of getting shade? We will plan to be there as soon as possible off the ship but who knows.

As a side note; anybody know Bahamas weather in Thanksgiving time of year.

Aqua adventure is great, but not ideal for someone with mobility issues. I wouldn’t do a beach day there because you don’t have access to the pools, and the surf can be rough and not safe for swimming.

If you get a pass to Atlantis, you can use the beach, pools, and have access to the Dig, etc. I wouldn't go to the public beach there, however, it's nothing special. But if you have a pass, you can go to the Cove beach which is much nicer and has a barrier.

Personally, I'd go to Melia or consider an excursion like Blue Lagoon which is a reasonable price.

You can get shade at the Melia. I cannot be in the sun at all. Usually I use the shade from the grill restaurant. It is right on the beach where your MIL can be in the shade and the rest of you in the sun. There are also a few umbrellas on the beach which are available for free. You cannot go in the restricted roped-off part for the hotel guests. I've also used the trees for shade but that was in Dec 2016. Hopefully the trees are still there. Melia is kind of spread out so make sure your MIL has good supportive shoes to walk around.

Note that there is some stairs (15?) inside the building that you'll need to take to get to the bottom floor, and then additional outside stairs to get down from there to the beach. I do not know if they have an elevator, but here is their email address to ask them any questions:

melia.nassau.beach@melia.com

They respond within 24 hours or so.

Weather in Nov should be pretty warm. I've been in Dec & Jan and it was in the 80's & 90's. The waves are a little bigger at Melia, whereas the BCH they are ankle nippers.

I usually take the #10 jitney bus back & forth. Kind of a lot of walking, some of which is uphill. However, I think you can get a cab pretty cheap going there, ($4 pp?) but coming back to the ship will cost more $$, I believe.

Good luck.